Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is It Just Me? Not Feeling So Bad About Our Team Going Into Next Year.

mightisright

good draft picks, easy schedule, and a healthy QB leads us to a SB in NO.

WOOAHH! We have the toughest schedule in football next year. We have:

Texans x2

Titans x2

Jaguars x2

Patriots

Dolphins

Jets

Bills

Packers

Bears

Vikings

Lions

Probably Broncos maybe Chiefs or Chargers

Browns

Patriots, Texans x2, Jets, Bills, Packers, Bears, Lions are all really really tough teams, plus you have to add in the random loss to a bad team so we could be looking possibly 6-8 losses next year, we have the toughest schedule in football next year!

Texans x2

Titans x2

Jaguars x2

Patriots

Dolphins

Jets

Bills

Packers

Bears

Vikings

Lions

Browns

Patriots, Texans x2, Jets, Bills, Packers, Bears, Lions are all really really tough teams, plus you have to add in the random loss to a bad team so we could be looking possibly 6-8 losses next year, we have the toughest schedule in football next year!

With peyton, and a rebuilt d, and new coach i will take my chances

Texans x2

Titans x2

Jaguars x2

Patriots

Dolphins

Jets

Bills

Packers

Bears

Vikings

Lions

Browns

Eh, with Manning that schedule is easily 16-0 :)

I think the problem with Thomas and some of the other young talent is coaching. I don't get the games anymore, in my area. I saw the bengals today. I believe they are ranked number one defense? I know they are ranked up towards the top. They don't really have any big names on defense, but got a really good dc.

How much has Painter learned from Manning? Manning will not teach his replacement how to play the QB position. Manning plays to win football games, and prepares to win. He takes every snap in practice, so to think that Manning will groom the next Colts quarterback is unrealistic.

It's not about Manning teaching Luck...it's about Luck learning from Manning...there's a difference

what do you guys think this team, including the guys on injured reserve, will be like to finish the year as a unit, then go into offseason, get healthy, work together etc, then have ota's and camp etc

then with manning back and the now-injured players back, and depending on who we keep, this should be a solid team, even just bits of games this year, where things went right, and they areas worked together, got good things done, just not consistent...

also add to that good drafting and looking good!

I agree with most in saying that this team has way too many holes to realistically winning a superbowl anytime soon. Obviously we need to draft well thats a given (apart from the Manning pick) pretty much every pick since then in the first round has been disappointing to say the least.

I think we need to find a DB in either free agency or via trade (hit Philly up for Brackett for one of their DB's, Samuel seems to be semi-keen to leave there anyway). Because even if we draft DB's even the best prospects (i.e. Patrick Peterson for the Cardinals, whilst he has made special teams plays, his play as a corner at times has shown he is still a rookie....and he is pretty much THE BEST corner propect to come into a draft in some time).

We just need to sign a couple of impact players in the free agency and get Peyton back and then its all off to next years super bowl because we will be right under the radar. We will just need to take it one week at a time. I really think that we can do it. I think we only need a safety, a LB or two, 2 solid O-linmen and some impact players like a running back and a WR. We get these and we will go all the way guaranteed.

To me, looking to next season doesn't give me too much hope. Having the no.1 pick pretty much wrapped up, say we take Luck with the number one... That's major money hitting the cap, and with guys like Wayne, Mathis and Garcon's contracts up, we are looking at cap :evil: .

Will we again be looking at injury problems on the oline. Addai hasn't been able to stay healthy for sometime now... and Are we paying Clark too much? He missed most of last year, wasn't targeted that much this year and he's out again, and when he was in wasn't much of a difference maker and looked dejected all year.

We still need a safety, and at least 1 decent cornerback.

At least we'll have a punter!lol, but thats about all I can say about special teams.

Love Mathis and Freeney, but they're aging, and combined only have 9 sacks this year.

With all that said, it will still be better than this year, but how much is that really saying.

But it will be worth it just to see Manning play again... God willing

By your same argument the Niners are a legit playoff team. You think just b/c they are 8-1 they are a very good team?

Ok, give us your reasoning why they aren't a good team at 8-1 or a legit playoff team. Today they are the second best team in the NFL. You are what your record say you are - just as the Colts are 0-10 and the worst team in the NFL.

Eh, with Manning that schedule is easily 16-0 :)

With peyton, and a rebuilt d, and new coach i will take my chances

I know that PM is back, and he's great and all, but this is toughest schedule I've seen in years. The last time we had a schedule similar to this was in 2008, and we went 12-4. That was when the Packers, Texans and Lions were all bad, now they're very good, especially the Packers. I love the Colts, and I'll always hope for a 16-0 season, but we have to be realistic. This is the toughest schedule in the NFL.

When one person can come up with the reason this team is in a state of total dishonor, disgrace and disgust in one season then there will be a clue on what the future is. right now imagine, should #18 return and play all season and play well does anyone really believe they will look like the teams prior to this year? If that comes a reality them Manning should be called "The Second Son of God". None of this makes any sense and that is why all fans and writers are dumbfounded. This has never happened in the history of the NFL.......NEVER!!

Okay, so I have no illusions about our season being lost . But I feel like we have the core of a good football team. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like if we had a decent QB we'd be having a decent season. The last few weeks, our special teams play has gotten better. Our Defense has improved a TON over the season. I feel like going forward, we just need:

1. Good QB

2. Offensive line to get some more experience

3. A good shutdown corner and another good safety

4. One more good linebacker

5. A NEW DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR AND NEW DEFENSIVE SCHEME

and we'll be good to go, back in the hunt next year.

There is no doubt that there are still some quality players on this team. But, as much as I agree with your opinion on what we need, its not going to be something we can fix in just one season. There are way to many parts that need fixed. Also, you didnt mention a new HC. Sorry, but Caldwell is a bum. And, I agree we need a new DC and new scheme. But, if we do that, its going to take even longer to get back to where we need to be.

It's not about Manning teaching Luck...it's about Luck learning from Manning...there's a difference

I agree that there is value learning from Manning how to prepare for a game, how to watch film, etc. However, the real learning that takes place is from reps at practice where you can get your timing down with your receivers, and get a better understanding of the offense. The more reps that you have, the more comfortable you are with the offense on game day.

I guess my point is that you are right in that he will learn from watching Manning, but it's a limited amount of learning. We haven't seen this style of learning translate into good performances by either Sorgi or painter.

I think they also need to trade some of these guys who still might have value but aren't doing much for the Colts such as Gonzales, Addai and Eldridge. If they can get some late round picks for a few of these guys along with the #1 pick, things could be looking up.

No one is going to trade us for those players.

Just a few examples I threw out there. You also have guys like Brackett, Bullitt and Clark who can't seem to stay healthy but whose past performances might draw some offers.

No, not really. NFL teams are not going to give up draft picks for guys who have been injured that much. Or who suck. Or both.

After seeing San Francisco, always relying on Gore.. It makes me wonder what the heck happened to Addai and Donald Brown. We need to dump these bums immediately. If they can't put points up for our offense when Manning is gone, what good is keeping them around?

It's not so much our running backs as much as our O-line that needs beefed up

I agree with most in saying that this team has way too many holes to realistically winning a superbowl anytime soon. Obviously we need to draft well thats a given (apart from the Manning pick) pretty much every pick since then in the first round has been disappointing to say the least.

I think we need to find a DB in either free agency or via trade (hit Philly up for Brackett for one of their DB's, Samuel seems to be semi-keen to leave there anyway). Because even if we draft DB's even the best prospects (i.e. Patrick Peterson for the Cardinals, whilst he has made special teams plays, his play as a corner at times has shown he is still a rookie....and he is pretty much THE BEST corner propect to come into a draft in some time).

WOW - every 1st round pick since manning has been disappointing? Short memory! Edge, Wayne, Clark, Addai, Freeney? They've been disappointments?! Seriously? Yes, they've whiffed the last few years - since Chris Polian took over- but to say that they've ALL been disappointing is a gross error!

AND I never said we'd win the SB next season, just that I don't feel so bad about next season as I did early on.

THANK YOU flash777! I don't know why everybody thinks Luck is gonna like holding a clipboard, or Manning is gonna want to teach him a darn thing! He spends his entire day 24/7 thinking up stuff to help him win and expects his backups to spend their days looking at film and stats and HELP HIM think of ways to win. Why would he want to spend his time mentoring or grooming some guy snapping at his heels? I don't get it......

Simple he will learn by watching and working in practice. Painter is bad, no teaching or guidance would improve on him, Luck will learn by just being around Peyton and see what he does, how he prepares and working with him in practice.

I would say you are teatering on dillusional. Your statement that the defense has improved a ton over the past few games brings pause in taking your post serious. Did you watch the game against the Falcons or the game today? The only threat the Jags have is running the ball and MJD goes for 135 yards today. Atlanta blew us away. I suppose if you're using the Saints game as a benchmark, then this statement is true. Reggie Wayne is our only decent receiver and he's old. Our DE's are aging as well. The secondary is young, may show some promise, but they get burned every week. LB's are solid. Offensive line is a disaster and we have no qb. How this equates into being optimistic about next year is beyond me. The jury is in.............you're dilusional!!!!

Well as the Packers have shown, how the Pats are showing you don't have to have a great D to be a great team. Heck you don't even have to have a good D as both those teams are showing....

This year 984 rush yards thru the first 10 games.

Last year 885 rush yard thru the first 10 games.

Are we rushing THAT much better than last year?

*Edit this includes the Curtis Painter 80yd game.

What is our yards per average this year over last?

No, not really. NFL teams are not going to give up draft picks for guys who have been injured that much. Or who suck. Or both.

SD signed Sanders who had one good year and 3 on IR. And if Oakland gave up what they did for Carson Palmer, surely someone will give us something for Clark. It's worth a shot, they're not doing anything on the bench.

What is our yards per average this year over last?

Last Year thru 10games

243/885.....3.64ypc

This year

201/984yds....4.89ypc....or 4.5 if you get rid of Painters #'s...

Last year thru 10:

3 Games of 100+yds rushing

This year:

3 games of 100+yds rushing

Now how inflated are our rushing number this year due to our circumstances? I'd argue that there really hasn't been an improvement in our rushing at all this year.

SD signed Sanders who had one good year and 3 on IR. And if Oakland gave up what they did for Carson Palmer, surely someone will give us something for Clark. It's worth a shot, they're not doing anything on the bench.

Yes, they "signed" him. Which means that they didn't have to give anything up for him. I never said no one would consider signing them if we cut them (or just neglected to offer a new contract as the case may be) Only that teams are not willing to give up draft picks for things they don't have to.

As to Carson Palmer situation, that's generally what we refer to as an "outlier." In other words you shouldn't expect that to happen very often.

Last Year thru 10games

243/885.....3.64ypc

This year

201/984yds....4.89ypc....or 4.5 if you get rid of Painters #'s...

Last year thru 10:

3 Games of 100+yds rushing

This year:

3 games of 100+yds rushing

Now how inflated are our rushing number this year due to our circumstances? I'd argue that there really hasn't been an improvement in our rushing at all this year.

How is +1yrd/carry not an improvement? Esp. with this o-line?

How is +1yrd/carry not an improvement? Esp. with this o-line?

Obviously increase in yards per carry speaks for itself, almost a full yard. .9. But how much of that is just the defense laying back? The Saints, although being the only instance of this, sat with a full quarter remaining.