Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pushing the draft back two weeks was a horrible idea.

There's nothing left to talk about. Today would have been round 1 of the draft and today we could have all could have been optimistically hoping that some players that fell out of round 1 fell to us at 59.

Instead, we have to wait another 2 weeks for the draft to start.I hope they put it back on April 25th next year. 

There's nothing left to talk about. Today would have been round 1 of the draft and today we could have all could have been optimistically hoping that some players that fell out of round 1 fell to us at 59.

Instead, we have to wait another 2 weeks for the draft to start.I hope they put it back on April 25th next year. 

Delayed gratification, man.  You'll be ecstatic in 2 weeks that it was pushed back....and that is 2 weeks fewer between the draft and training camp.  It is like every other arbitrary change in life....it will normalize.

Instead, we have to wait another 2 weeks for the draft to start.I hope they put it back

on April 25th next year.

It wasn't the NFL's fault. Radio City Music Hall had something planned on the original draft day.

It wasn't the NFL's fault. Radio City Music Hall had something planned on the original draft day.

Doubt it. The event was cancelled because of lack of interest and you're telling me that they one of the most powerful businesses in the NFL "no"?

The NFL pushed it back for more draft coverage. More draft coverage = more people watching ESPN, NFLN, ect..

From what I heard, weather and Goodell were the reason it moved. Some even that is usually held earlier in the year got pushed back an Goodell didn't want to move it to a different venue. I know Radio City Music Hall is the norm, but It would have been interesting to see the Draft in a different venue

No doubt about it! We have reached the "Beating a Dead Horse" Zone.
But i have enjoyed being prodded to look at many of these names, often for a 2nd or 3rd time.

And i am satisfied we are going to get high quality at 59 and a very solid prospect at 90, although i bet Grigson will be chomping at the bit, during the draft, to move that pick up some to get his guy.
 Then we still have some $$$ to fill in some spots with a few Quality guys from post June and final roster cuts and trades.

To me, the Monster Roster build is very much on track. Go Colts!

On the delayed Draft with the current CBA.

I am seriously glad the staff will have these several weeks to see where the players are at regarding their health, commitment to conditioning, and love of the game. Seems like there are always guys who disappoint and that would affect the draft.

Doubt it. The event was cancelled because of lack of interest and you're telling me that they one of the most powerful businesses in the NFL "no"?

The NFL pushed it back for more draft coverage. More draft coverage = more people watching ESPN, NFLN, ect..

This was announced a year ago.

The event was canceled a year ago.

I don't know when it was canceled but whenever it was it was too late to make the change.

There are a million and one considerations when making such a change.   TV,  hotels,  transportation,  logistics....   everyone has to be on board.   It's not as simple as the NFL makes it happen because they're the NFL.     They move slowly and deliberately.

You can offer your conspiracy theories next year if they stick with May.........

I'm not sure why there would be more "eyes" in May than there were in April.      I suspect you think two more weeks of hype?

For what it's worth,  I heard Goddell in an interview this morning......   says there thinking of ways to make the draft bigger and better.....   and one way is to make it longer...  4 days instead of 3.    Personally,  I'd be against that.   As I'd be against a May draft.

But there was no mention of keeping the draft in May.  

You thought @NFL Draft was already a big event? Roger Goodell told me today league will consider stretching it to 4 days (still 7 rounds).

— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington)

April 25, 2014

Also, there is talk of moving the draft AGAIN! Maybe back to April

EDIT: Just in case the embed tweet doesnt work...

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/459693373839138818

This was announced a year ago.

The event was canceled a year ago.

I don't know when it was canceled but whenever it was it was too late to make the change.

There are a million and one considerations when making such a change.   TV,  hotels,  transportation,  logistics....   everyone has to be on board.   It's not as simple as the NFL makes it happen because they're the NFL.     They move slowly and deliberately.

You can offer your conspiracy theories next year if they stick with May.........

I'm not sure why there would be more "eyes" in May than there were in April.      I suspect you think two more weeks of hype?

For what it's worth,  I heard Goddell in an interview this morning......   says there thinking of ways to make the draft bigger and better.....   and one way is to make it longer...  4 days instead of 3.    Personally,  I'd be against that.   As I'd be against a May draft.

But there was no mention of keeping the draft in May.  

The NFL is already talking about keeping the draft in May next year as well. The fact that they're even considering it tells me they pushed it back this year on purpose. This was pretty obviously a "test year" to see how things went.

And conveniently it spread the off-season out more to A.) Get an extra two weeks of draft coverage, thus keeping the NFL in the news longer and getting more website page hits, views on TV, ect... and B.) Compete against the NBA playoffs even longer. I mean, look at how they handled the schedule release. The way they hyped it up made it seem like the Super Bowl. There were more people talking about that then there were about the Mavericks game that same night. 

The NFL is already talking about keeping the draft in May next year as well. The fact that they're even considering it tells me they pushed it back this year on purpose. This was pretty obviously a "test year" to see how things went.

And conveniently it spread the off-season out more to A.) Get an extra two weeks of draft coverage, thus keeping the NFL in the news longer and getting more website page hits, views on TV, ect... and B.) Compete against the NBA playoffs even longer. I mean, look at how they handled the schedule release. The way they hyped it up made it seem like the Super Bowl. There were more people talking about that then there were about the Mavericks game that same night.

Sounds like a smart strategy to me.

Sorry.....    in my long post to you I meant to write that the event "wasn't" canceled a year ago.    I accidentally wrote "was"....

If you have a link showing the NFL is thinking about moving the draft to May again, or permanently, can you show that??

I'm not seeing that anywhere.....

Thanks......

Sorry..... in my long post to you I meant to write that the event "wasn't" canceled a year ago. I accidentally wrote "was"....

If you have a link showing the NFL is thinking about moving the draft to May again, or permanently, can you show that??

I'm not seeing that anywhere.....

Thanks......

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/459693869798797312

Thanks....

My instincts say that's very possible they'll move to May (though I hope they won't!)...   especially if they can squeeze more money out of moving...

But...

I think they'll want input from all 32 teams.    And I think the teams would have strong input.    If the teams hate the idea,  then I would like to think the NFL will respect that.    If the teams find that the move back helped them more than it hurt them,  then it's a slam dunk they'll move back.

I hope the NFL, which typically likes to move slowly and cautiously the way most giant corporations do, will be satisfied stretching out the draft to 4 days instead of 3, (which I'm not going to like)...    with the NFL making much more money that way.   I hope the idea of moving permanently to May disappears....    but I'm not holding my breath!