Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafting a Pass Rusher

How can we have lost the Richardson trade by his logic if the pick we gave up hasn't even been used to draft a player. Thus we don't even know how much production that player could have given us.

doesnt matter. everyone is already proclaiming him as the next whipping boy

Much as I would like to chime in on the Jerry Hughes debate, I wanted to ask a question about the draft.  What about Marcus Smith, Louisville as Pick 59? I am liking the idea more, although I have been a big fan of either Lamarcus Joyner or Terrence Brooks at that spot,

well with your logic we also lost the richardson trade. you cant grade a trade by one season

Dude, pick a better example. We did lose the Richardson trade.

Regardless, there isn't much reasom to think that Sheppard will do enough this season to equal the impact Hughes could have had. It's unlikely that Sheppard even makes the roster.

Dude, pick a better example. We did lose the Richardson trade.

Regardless, there isn't much reasom to think that Sheppard will do enough this season to equal the impact Hughes could have had. It's unlikely that Sheppard even makes the roster.

brett favre sucks for one year- hof QB

reggie wayne sucked his rookie year- hof wr

ryan leaf has two good games to start his career- biggest bust in nfl history

mark sanchez goes to two straight afc championship games- now is a backup

walter payton didnt gain a single yard his first game-hof RB and arguably the best all time

albert haynesworth has a couple of good seasons-is now sitting on his fat butt probably working at a gas station

its the longevity not one or two good seasons 

brett favre sucks for one year- hof QB

reggie wayne sucked his rookie year- hof wr

ryan leaf has two good games to start his career- biggest bust in nfl history

mark sanchez goes to two straight afc championship games- now is a backup

walter payton didnt gain a single yard his first game-hof RB and arguably the best all time

albert haynesworth has a couple of good seasons-is now sitting on his fat butt probably working at a gas station

its the longevity not one or two good seasons

Oh my word. Again, no one is talking about his long term prospects. You're being pretty dense.

What you don't realize is that Hughes is finally realizing his potential, and he's doing pretty damn great. You're using the mindset that he can't improve or that a system change doesn't fit him better. Very strange of you imo.

You are not even close

Nice find.

Newsome is rated as a 5th/6th round find on NFL.com     Here's his profile....   (Pay particular attention to Newsome's shoplifting heist!   I think you'll find it very funny!)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jonathan-newsome?id=2543555

And he's got a 7th round grade from Scouts Inc over on ESPN.com

The arrest is hilarious  haha

you're dense for being impressed about one season

Football is played one season at a time. Hughes had a good season. Sheppard did not.

For you to keep trying to make this bigger than it is doesn't make sense. You're talking about Richardson's potential moving forward, but continue to ignore the realized potential in Hughes. You're being willfully ignorant.

Football is played one season at a time. Hughes had a good season. Sheppard did not.

For you to keep trying to make this bigger than it is doesn't make sense. You're talking about Richardson's potential moving forward, but continue to ignore the realized potential in Hughes. You're being willfully ignorant.

I'll realize his "potential" when he has another good season

I'll realize his "potential" when he has another good season

What if Sheppard doesn't make the roster and Hughes gets 5 sacks?

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing dude. Hughes had a better 2013 than all of our edge rushers excluding Mathis, Sheppard played less than the guy we signed that had been in the Army for the last 3 years. If Hughes has an extraordinarily mediocre rest of his career, and Sheppard is out of the league in a year, we lost the trade.

If we are looking for a late round pass rusher, I am really intrigued on OLB Derrell Johnson out of East Carolina 6'2 257lbs. He really understands leverage and shows some good power on his bull rushes, good first step especially out of his 3 point stance, and can play the run pretty well. level of competition is a concern playing in the Conference USA.

6th-7th round pick but I think he can play as a back up rush end to Mathis.

pro day: 4.61 seconds. He had a 32 1/2-inch vertical, 9-6 broad jump, 4.64 short shuttle and 7.27 three-cone drill

http://youtu.be/OZwZf12xW38

To the OP's topic, I would pass on a pure pass rusher and draft a more complete OLB.  In the 3rd round, there will be Carl Bradford and Jordan Zumwalt.  Both are good against the run and are not a liability in coverage.

In case my reasoning for not taking a pass rusher, we spent a 1st round pick on one last year.  Let's let him develop.

What if Sheppard doesn't make the roster and Hughes gets 5 sacks?

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing dude. Hughes had a better 2013 than all of our edge rushers excluding Mathis, Sheppard played less than the guy we signed that had been in the Army for the last 3 years. If Hughes has an extraordinarily mediocre rest of his career, and Sheppard is out of the league in a year, we lost the trade.

I refuse to repeat myself 600 times