Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential 2nd round pick?

coltsb_logo.gif Indianapolis Colts: 
4/15: The Colts have met with Louisville DE/OLB Marcus Smith three times thus far (private workout, pre-draft visit, Senior Bowl). Go here for the entire NFL Draft Prospect Meetings List

I'm hedging my bets that we may have some interest in Smith ( or else Grigson and Pagano are either trying to throw a major smokescreen or being really inefficient in working out players.)

I would really love to get Smith if we have genuine interest, him or Van Noy in the 2nd. 

What are your thoughts on this? would you take Smith at 59 or 90?

I think the 59th pick may be a little high for him, but Id be all for taking him in the 3rd somewhere. I still really want Jimmie Ward as our FS even if we have to trade up a little in the 2nd to get him. If he was out of reach, Id want either Dion Bailey in the 3rd, or Kenny Ladler in the 4th/5th.

Another CB will also be needed if Toler can't stay healthy. Butler is best in the slot.

Anyone have info on Marcus Smith?

He's a pretty popular name on the forums. Everyone seems to love him and/or Attauchu as early picks for the Colts. Pretty good pass rusher who can play the OLB position well. Theres some good stuff on him on Draftbreakdown.

For me though, it depends on who's there at 59.

I don't see him as a player for the 59th pick.

But I'd be thrilled if we got him at 90.     And that's my hope.

A quality safety at 59 and someone like Smith to rush the passer at 90.

THAT would be a home-run draft for me!

That would be outstanding.  that said though, if the colts took smith in the 2nd I wouldn't be upset. :)

I think Marcus Smith will be there at Pick 59.  One reason is the number of DE/OLB types rated late first to 2nd round:  Dee Ford, Ryan Shazier, Kyle Van Noy, Jeremiah Attaochu, Scott Crichton, Trent Murphy, Demarcus Lawrence, Carl Bradford, Kareem Martin.  Most have 40 times around 4.7, as Smith does. 

So what about the secondary?  My hope is that Pierre Desir falls to Pick 90.   Other possibilities are Jaylen Watkins, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Loucheiz Purifoy, maybe Keith McGill, although he has been rising in the ratings.  Many of the cornerbacks in this draft have played safety too.