Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay/draft picks

Bbswatching

Before Irsay gets officially suspended, he and Grigson will come to some understanding about spending and what Grigson can and can't do. Plus, one of the daughters will take over the operation. The Colts will not be a franchise that is stuck floundering because Irsay is suspended.

This can be managed and handled properly.

Irsay will be punished -- suspension and fine -- but I do NOT see the team being punished. Makes no sense.

If Jim is suspended, he will appoint one of his daughters. If grigson wants to make a move, the daughter can call her dad This will not be like the saints suspensions

The punishment will be more, or should be, against him. Picks only hurt the team.

So when a player gets suspended that doesn't punish a team as well?? Any action the NFL takes in their punishments have a consequence. I'm not saying what they should do but I think they should be open to taking a pick among several other options. I fully agree the most important thing is getting him help...but there has to be a penalty to this...and a deturrant moving forward not only to him but any other owner who might go down this path. Money is meaningless. These men are billionaires...and any fine would be work related and a tax write off. Secondly, community service is something these men already do...no biggie there. To me the only thing that hurts them is to hit their day to day actions and/or penalize them with their team. I do see a suspension away from team activities definately in the cards. The draft pick is iffy. However, it is very hard to find a punishment that will get owners attention. This would be one. It would also get other peoples attention in the organization...some that would feel more comfortable to speak out or stop something that they see is wrong or get involved. If you think the owner is misbehaving it would be a lot easier to speak to them..to reach out if you saw how it would not just affect them but the organization as a whole..not on a dollar or PR level but in an operational level. If your boss was doing something wrong and it would affect your ability to do your job...you likely would say something....get involved. Else everyone sees this as just Irsays issue and his money and no sweat off their back. I can see this going both ways and how it would detur activities and also encourage people to intervene if it would affect your ability to do your job too if you don't address it or reach out. Positives can come from this...hopefully after the embarrassment is over he gets help and others become more aware of the dangers.

If Jim is suspended, he will appoint one of his daughters. If grigson wants to make a move, the daughter can call her dad This will not be like the saints suspensions

"Daddy, who is the Mack guy on the phone?"  Did you order McDonalds?

And some guy Ryan has been watching from Siberia is on the phone.  He says he has a ..I mean he is a tight end."

On mike and mike they just suggested that an idea is to take away a draft pick because of Irsay getting arrested. If they did that. would you want them to pursue Mack more? Or other f/a's

Who ever suggested that, is an *.. it would be a presedant to punish an organization for one individual's off-field error.. it's not like spy-gate or bounty-gate happened here..

If anything, jim is going to get fined/suspended, but the team should be just fine..

Last nights new was talking about potential taking the colts of the bid for the super bowl, I disagree with that move as well....The city benefits more from the super bowls than the colts organzation would.

I think that's just crazy.. i can't help but think all this is so blwed out of porportions just because he's a wacky billionaire owner.. an embarrasment for the franchise, yes, but should the whole city suffer consecuences, i would think not..

So when a player gets suspended that doesn't punish a team as well?? Any action the NFL takes in their punishments have a consequence. I'm not saying what they should do but I think they should be open to taking a pick among several other options. I fully agree the most important thing is getting him help...but there has to be a penalty to this...and a deturrant moving forward not only to him but any other owner who might go down this path. Money is meaningless. These men are billionaires...and any fine would be work related and a tax write off. Secondly, community service is something these men already do...no biggie there. To me the only thing that hurts them is to hit their day to day actions and/or penalize them with their team. I do see a suspension away from team activities definately in the cards. The draft pick is iffy. However, it is very hard to find a punishment that will get owners attention. This would be one. It would also get other peoples attention in the organization...some that would feel more comfortable to speak out or stop something that they see is wrong or get involved. If you think the owner is misbehaving it would be a lot easier to speak to them..to reach out if you saw how it would not just affect them but the organization as a whole..not on a dollar or PR level but in an operational level. If your boss was doing something wrong and it would affect your ability to do your job...you likely would say something....get involved. Else everyone sees this as just Irsays issue and his money and no sweat off their back. I can see this going both ways and how it would detur activities and also encourage people to intervene if it would affect your ability to do your job too if you don't address it or reach out. Positives can come from this...hopefully after the embarrassment is over he gets help and others become more aware of the dangers.

Any punishment on the player is primarily on the player.  Any secondary adverse effects from suspensions that affect the team is only that, secondary and not the intent.  It is the players fault that this occurred.  However, taking pics will in NO way, hurt Irsay or make him be like, oh thats some serious stuff i need to change.  Picks only hurt the team, but honestly only affect his pride.

If you read an article from what i posted earlier in a link; a good possibility is for Goodell to submit to the owners, for approval, to force Irsay to give ownership up to his daughters, who by the way are already co-owners.  That would be a significant blow to him and open his eyes.  Now would there be any secondary adverse affects on the team, maybe...maybe not.  But that would all be secondary and not the primary intent of the punishment.  Im pretty sure the colts would survive and strive on.  I have looked into his daughters and they already seem pretty entrenched in the organization.  One of them, casey i believe, even was the one in england setting up and planning the games over there when it first started. 

There is the action of a massively levyied fine and suspension from all team activities.  But honestly, i wouldnt fault them for removing him from ownership either. 

Just thought of this.  They could also completely remove Indianaplis from the SB bidding in 2018.  That would seriously hurt Irsay's business with the Indiana chamber of commerce and the like.

"Daddy, who is the Mack guy on the phone?"  Did you order McDonalds?

And some guy Ryan has been watching from Siberia is on the phone.  He says he has a ..I mean he is a tight end."

The daughters are far more in the know than you realize.

This is just more speculation off of ESPN but what I saw on Sports Center tonight was a major fine for Irsay, mandatory completion of the league's drug treatment plan, and a 30 day suspension from the team. 

Again, that's all speculation but that's all it's going to be at this point.  Goodell isn't going to rule on this in the next couple of days and probably not for the next couple of months.  He has tended to let the legal process play out in the past and then hand out punishment.  Depending on what the Prosecutor wants to do what the league is going to do to Irsay might be the least of Jim Irsay's problems. 

Since this thread isn't going away.........  I'll say it again......

I'm confident the Colts will not lose draft picks.

Irsay will be heavily fined.    And he will be suspended.    The combination of the two will be embarrassing for him.    It will get the attention of other league execs and the players who wonder what Goddell will do with one of his 32 bosses.   And then it will be done.

The punishment will be for Irsay and not for the team.     I'd be very, very surprised if it was anything else..........

This is just more speculation off of ESPN but what I saw on Sports Center tonight was a major fine for Irsay, mandatory completion of the league's drug treatment plan, and a 30 day suspension from the team. 

Again, that's all speculation but that's all it's going to be at this point.  Goodell isn't going to rule on this in the next couple of days and probably not for the next couple of months.  He has tended to let the legal process play out in the past and then hand out punishment.  Depending on what the Prosecutor wants to do what the league is going to do to Irsay might be the least of Jim Irsay's problems. 

No way no how that happens.  That is way to light of a punishment.  The higher up you go the more severe it should be.  That is like a punishment for a player.  Its going to be more severe than what the Lions president got, which is basically what you just stated minus the drug treatment plan.  Its got to be worse.

Since this thread isn't going away.........  I'll say it again......

I'm confident the Colts will not lose draft picks.

Irsay will be heavily fined.    And he will be suspended.    The combination of the two will be embarrassing for him.    It will get the attention of other league execs and the players who wonder what Goddell will do with one of his 32 bosses.   And then it will be done.

The punishment will be for Irsay and not for the team.     I'd be very, very surprised if it was anything else..........

That's about the sum of it. It's a bad, and to be honest horrible comparison to make, but if Hernandez is found guilty does anyone expect to the Patriots to lose draft picks?

Both alleged crimes committed outside of the team, both not relating to any football matters. Sure you could argue Irsay is a owner and he's just a player but the counter to that is the magnitude of the crime. Unless of course that doesn't have any bearing but that would be madness. As is a lot of  the speculation and hyperbole that has been posted by certain members.

I don't get how taking draft picks away from us would solve anything. Why punish the organization for an individual's actions?

That genius josh brent decides it's ok to go driving while nearly double the legal BAC and kills Jerry Brown. (Which, for te record, is worse than what Irsay has done. Gotta add a little perspective for those of you who are out of touch with reality.)

Did the Cowboys lose draft picks?

No.

The loss of draft picks is punishment only for when an organization breaks the rules. The Patriots film opposing coaches. They lose picks.

How out of touch with reality must one be to make the corolation between punishing many instead of punishing a single party?

:facepalm:

And people say Irsay has problems...

Any punishment on the player is primarily on the player.  Any secondary adverse effects from suspensions that affect the team is only that, secondary and not the intent.  It is the players fault that this occurred.  However, taking pics will in NO way, hurt Irsay or make him be like, oh thats some serious stuff i need to change.  Picks only hurt the team, but honestly only affect his pride.

If you read an article from what i posted earlier in a link; a good possibility is for Goodell to submit to the owners, for approval, to force Irsay to give ownership up to his daughters, who by the way are already co-owners.  That would be a significant blow to him and open his eyes.  Now would there be any secondary adverse affects on the team, maybe...maybe not.  But that would all be secondary and not the primary intent of the punishment.  Im pretty sure the colts would survive and strive on.  I have looked into his daughters and they already seem pretty entrenched in the organization.  One of them, casey i believe, even was the one in england setting up and planning the games over there when it first started. 

There is the action of a massively levyied fine and suspension from all team activities.  But honestly, i wouldnt fault them for removing him from ownership either. 

Just thought of this.  They could also completely remove Indianaplis from the SB bidding in 2018.  That would seriously hurt Irsay's business with the Indiana chamber of commerce and the like.

I totally agree. I think taking the SB away is a definate certainty...and maybe even the Draft Combine...suspension 100% certainty until he shows he is healthy. I just don't rule out the draft pick...I don't know if they will go that far...and removing ownership permanantly I think is wrong...but we will see...I just think everything has to be out on the table. Owners generally DO care about the on the field performance...so hurting that would send a message the NFL isn't playing around on these issues...plus it would cause people within organizations whose jobs are directly affected by the loss of draft picks etc to help hold their owners accountable or speak up. Its a sensitive matter...one that won't see a resolution anytime soon...first they need to get Jim healthy.

I totally agree. I think taking the SB away is a definate certainty...and maybe even the Draft Combine...suspension 100% certainty until he shows he is healthy. I just don't rule out the draft pick...I don't know if they will go that far...and removing ownership permanantly I think is wrong...but we will see...I just think everything has to be out on the table. Owners generally DO care about the on the field performance...so hurting that would send a message the NFL isn't playing around on these issues...plus it would cause people within organizations whose jobs are directly affected by the loss of draft picks etc to help hold their owners accountable or speak up. Its a sensitive matter...one that won't see a resolution anytime soon...first they need to get Jim healthy.

they won't be moving the combine. There is a reason its in Indy, and it has zero to do with the colts

they won't be moving the combine. There is a reason its in Indy, and it has zero to do with the colts

You could move it to St Louis...that's very centrally located and in a dome...but we do have great facilities. Perhaps Detroit...there are other options...unless you know something I don't...which is a possibility.

You could move it to St Louis...that's very centrally located and in a dome...but we do have great facilities. Perhaps Detroit...there are other options...unless you know something I don't...which is a possibility.

I always thought it was to do with the density of nearby medical facilities?

The NFL already came out and publicly stated this won't affect the teams Super Bowl bid in 2018. 

I always thought it was to do with the density of nearby medical facilities?

along with hotel space, the conference center, the ncaa head quarters and an enclosed venue

All perfectly logical...I just didn't know the exact reasoning but I imagine if they thought otherwise they could find another location if they wanted to that may be a close fit.