Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Progression Of Painter ....

Trips4Lyfe

Curtis Painter has gotten worse. I was a big proponent of Curtis starting when we figured out about #18 and I still am but the way he's been lately is unacceptable. He's throwin blind in 4 secs or less. I know the O-line is patched up but why can't he move in the pocket and make positive throws downfield ? Maybe he needs to loosen up, maybe open up the playbook to some 5 step drops or sumn. I'm all for taking sacks if necessary but even then he has to hold on to the ball. I'm challenging Painter to loosen up this 2nd half.

I was never for or against Painter. I realize he was placed in some "no win" situations and waited to see what he could do in a game with a chance to shine (starters, game planning, etc.) I don't watch college football so really I had no knowledge to base an opinion on.

I now think enough is enough. If you cannot win one game after three years of studying game plans and working with Peyton, I give up on you. I am all about loyalty, but you need to give me a reason why you have earned my loyalty. (reference to Reggie)

I always defend the guy, but I'll be the first to admit that the accuracy today was horrendous. There were some clutch 3rd downs early, but I can't remember the last time he dropped a pretty pass into just the right spot - something that he clearly showed he has the ability to do previously. Now he can nail the short passes on a line, but everything else is way off. You have to think that he's just hearing footsteps that aren't even there at this point, and rushing everything.

In other words, it's mental - which is likely why he was pulled. He needs time on the field so taking him out because the game was out of reach wouldn't normally accomplish anything - but the game was just set up for more 3rd and longs with rushers coming from everywhere, which probably would have set him back further.

I always defend the guy, but I'll be the first to admit that the accuracy today was horrendous. There were some clutch 3rd downs early, but I can't remember the last time he dropped a pretty pass into just the right spot - something that he clearly showed he has the ability to do previously. Now he can nail the short passes on a line, but everything else is way off. You have to think that he's just hearing footsteps that aren't even there at this point, and rushing everything.

True dat. The last 2 games has been on offense and the Titans game was of course on ST as well. The D was guilty of giving up big plays though. I guess we now know why we play with a cushion. We play close, and one missed tackle on a slant and Julio Jones is gone but then, jumping the slant gave us the lone score as well. Just cannot have it both ways and make it work, I guess, with our talent.

I still think the game plans we come up with week to week are weak too. That factors in somewhere. I still think its hard for Painter to regress like this. A far cry from what we seen in his first 2.25 games

It is simple. The NFL adapts quickly, our coaches don't. Once they had a couple of Painter games to watch, they knew his tendencies and our coaches have not been able to game plan to overcome those tendencies.

How many bubble screens failed and how many 3 and outs had to happen in the Titans game before we came firing after the first half vs the Titans? How many games of Lacey did we have to see before yanking him out of the starting line up? How many plays of bad field position did we have to encounter before making Lefeged take the free 20 yards? Our coaches seem to be fine with making adjustments from game-to-game but that is no good, you have to be able to make it in-game and quicker to counter what the opposition does.

The Bengals-Titans game today - the Titans go up 17-7 at the half and what does Mike Zimmer do after the half? Thats right, shut the Titans down for another road win.

I was at the game and paid close attention to Painter. The stripe on his helmet lined up exactly with the receiver he targeted from the time the ball was snapped to his release. He's staring down his target, big time, every time. It's no wonder that the opponet's defense is a step ahead of our beloved Colts.

Defenses just have caught up with Painter. It has happened numerous times in this league with players who come in when the starter gets injured. The back up comes in and tears it up because there is no tape and the defense was unprepared for the back up. Defenses have caught up with Painter and he is who we thought he was. He is a cheap guy that can hold the clip board while this team rides the shoulder of Manning.

Also, it does not help that he stares down his primary receiver the entire time.

I will be glad to have Manning or Luck back there next year and do not have to see Painter again.

I just wish they would stop running the no huddle with him. He is a huddle quarterback, not a move move move guy. He generally starts drives off well and then as they get moving in the no huddle it almost seems like he gets too excited.

Put him in the huddle, give him 1 check (to a run from a pass and vice versa) and let him run it.

He is a guy who needs that calming 30 seconds between each play to recompose himself.

I think this is another scenario this year of people being put in situations to fail rather than succeed.

He sucks, it's really not a surprise. He's currently ranked #32 (out of 34) in QB ratings....

He had a couple of decent plays against bad teams in the 1st two starts, but anyone that watched him as a senior in college or in the pre-season could tell he wasn't going to be very good on a regular basis. He MIGHT make an OK back-up, but if he's starting...your team is most likely losing that week.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&statisticPositionCategory=QUARTERBACK&season=2011&seasonType=REG

Guys the Tom Brady mirracle does not happen often. A QB is drafted in late rounds for reasons, and Painter is just who we thought he was.

Also Brady in his early years benefited from a strong team around him, s.t. he was OK as far as he could manage the game. While Colts QB has to carry the team on his shoulder, and as great as Manning, he has to get many close wins even against mediocre teams in recently years due to an extremely weak team around him.

Guys the Tom Brady mirracle does not happen often.

But the Pats made it happen twice, one with Tom Brady and another with Matt Cassel :). Those guys know to find QBs in late rounds, obviously. When Ryan Mallet was slipping in the draft last year, and we had tried out Andy Dalton & other QBs, why not take a flyer on him in round 2 last year? We had to wait till the crap hit the fan and it finally did.

Obviously we did not have the confidence in Painter as the back up because we signed KC 2 weeks before the season started, and Caldwell has carried 3 QBs before on the roster, so what gives to not draft a QB in the 2011 draft???

Edited by chad72

But the Pats made it happen twice, one with Tom Brady and another with Matt Cassel :). Those guys know to find QBs in late rounds, obviously. When Ryan Mallet was slipping in the draft last year, and we had tried out Andy Dalton & other QBs, why not take a flyer on him in round 2 last year? We had to wait till the crap hit the fan and it finally did.

To me the Colts offense has more responsibility on the QB because: 1. It is a system completely depending on the audibles and reading the D 2. The team does not have enough offensive weapons unless the QB knows where these players should be placed since they are not athletic enought to fight for plays 3. The teams has a very narrow margin for errors since its D and ST are too weak and essentially the QB is everything of the team.

The year Brady went down the team still had lots of defensive talents and Randy Moss was still willing to play. I don't think this year they can afford losing Brady since the rest of their team are not much better than the Colts.

To me the Colts offense has more responsibility on the QB because: 1. It is a system completely depending on the audibles and reading the D 2. The team does not have enough offensive weapons unless the QB knows where these players should be placed since they are not athletic enought to fight for plays 3. The teams has a very narrow margin for errors since its D and ST are too weak and essentially the QB is everything of the team.

The year Brady went down the team still had lots of defensive talents and Randy Moss was still willing to play. I don't think this year they can afford losing Brady since the rest of their team are not much better than the Colts.

I don't think the Colts offense has any more responsibility on the QB than the Patriots' offense, the offense's job is to execute better than the defense and put up points. Both QBs and systems do it their own way and draft players that fit their systems.

The overall success of the team however is determined by the score differential, affected by the O, D and ST. It is not the job of the offense to help out the D and ST primarily, it can be a collateral benefit but never has been deemed to be the primary job. The issue has been that the D has been built with the O in mind, and that premise is flawed and has been exposed recently. Manning's excellence covered up a lot of blemishes with the Colts' D and ST (and coaching too), it does not mean that Brady's job was any less challenging as a QB or Manning set out for those dependencies to turn out that way.

Edited by chad72

In other words, it's mental - which is likely why he was pulled. He needs time on the field so taking him out because the game was out of reach wouldn't normally accomplish anything - but the game was just set up for more 3rd and longs with rushers coming from everywhere, which probably would have set him back further.

fix the o-line and any qb will look good, look at brady behind his brick wall o-line, what do we expect from a qb with constant pressure, and no time for the receivers to get down field,front office has tried to fix the o-line for years with no good results,we have to have good lines to compete, and keep our qbs from getting hurt like the o-line allowed peyton to get hurt, and we are still using the same guys to protect painter

fix the o-line and any qb will look good, look at brady behind his brick wall o-line, what do we expect from a qb with constant pressure, and no time for the receivers to get down field,front office has tried to fix the o-line for years with no good results,we have to have good lines to compete, and keep our qbs from getting hurt like the o-line allowed peyton to get hurt, and we are still using the same guys to protect painter

I agree with you. Even allowing for that, I think that Painter is off his game, but I would agree that the line is the biggest issue.

Before this most recent game I contributed to a discussion about Painter's effectiveness by pointing out that in an effort to avoid sacks and turnovers the offensive game plan had been reduced to virtually instant passes. I attributed it to the fact that the oline was comprised (at that point) of Saturday and a bunch of 3rd/4th stringers. I thought that this week would be better with Costanzo (and others?) returning. The Colts may have tried to get a little more adventurous with their pass calls, but neither the line nor Painter handled the pressure well.

In panning this game lets not forget that the offense didn't look that bad at first, aside from the two turnovers. Add in the two home runs to Jones, and basically there were four game changing plays in the Falcons favor by the time the first quarter was barely over. The Falcons knew that the Colts had to pass once they had the large lead, and the Colts had no chance. They just can't afford those kinds of mistakes. If the Colts don't turn it over, and somebody tackles Jones on that short route it's an entirely different ballgame. You have to be encouraged by the defenses performance other than those two plays.

I agree with you. Even allowing for that, I think that Painter is off his game, but I would agree that the line is the biggest issue.

Before this most recent game I contributed to a discussion about Painter's effectiveness by pointing out that in an effort to avoid sacks and turnovers the offensive game plan had been reduced to virtually instant passes. I attributed it to the fact that the oline was comprised (at that point) of Saturday and a bunch of 3rd/4th stringers. I thought that this week would be better with Costanzo (and others?) returning. The Colts may have tried to get a little more adventurous with their pass calls, but neither the line nor Painter handled the pressure well.

In panning this game lets not forget that the offense didn't look that bad at first, aside from the two turnovers. Add in the two home runs to Jones, and basically there were four game changing plays in the Falcons favor by the time the first quarter was barely over. The Falcons knew that the Colts had to pass once they had the large lead, and the Colts had no chance. They just can't afford those kinds of mistakes. If the Colts don't turn it over, and somebody tackles Jones on that short route it's an entirely different ballgame. You have to be encouraged by the defenses performance other than those two plays.

if painter and the receivers had more time they could move the ball,if you have a good o-line an average qb can move down the field

I was at the game, I saw nothing impressive about the defense other than the pick six. What are you talking about?

I was at the game, I saw nothing impressive about the defense other than the pick six. What are you talking about?

Well then I probably had a better seat - right in front of my tv. :D Short answer, Atlanta punted the ball seven times, and we had the pick 6.

Long answer, I never had the feeling that the defense was beat up and getting pushed around as has been happening all year. The two home runs were disturbing, but on many occasions we were able to flat out stop them - and they have a pretty good offense that excels at both running and passing. Based on the way the offense played this game could have been as ugly as the NO game, but it wasn't. In fact if the offense had performed comparably to the defense this would have been an extremely close game.

Well then I probably had a better seat - right in front of my tv. :D Short answer, Atlanta punted the ball seven times, and we had the pick 6.

Long answer, I never had the feeling that the defense was beat up and getting pushed around as has been happening all year. The two home runs were disturbing, but on many occasions we were able to flat out stop them - and they have a pretty good offense that excels at both running and passing. Based on the way the offense played this game could have been as ugly as the NO game, but it wasn't. In fact if the offense had performed comparably to the defense this would have been an extremely close game.

Well, being the sadist that I apparently am, I just bought tickets for the JAX game this Sunday, but I chose section 605, so maybe I'll have a better view.....I'd like to see what you are seeing from them, any improvement would be a good thing.

You know they scored 31 points right?

Painter's Progression:

Bucs game -- A-

Chiefs game -- B

Bengals game B-

Saints game -- C-

Titans -- D+

Falcons game -- D

He's getting worse and worse, but once he gets his confidence back he should start doing pretty well

In other news.........The national weather has issued a tornado warning for the greater Indianapolis region. The national weather service has asked that all persons in the Indianapolis region report to Lucas Oil Stadium where there is no chance of a touchdown.

:lol: Clever.

Well, being the sadist that I apparently am, I just bought tickets for the JAX game this Sunday, but I chose section 605, so maybe I'll have a better view.....I'd like to see what you are seeing from them, any improvement would be a good thing.

That would make you a masochist. You would be a sadist if you gave them to someone you cared about. :D

You know they scored 31 points right?

Which aside from the two home runs (and the short drive after the fumble) is entirely reflective of how little the Colts offense did from the second quarter on. Actually the fumble reflects on the offense as well.

Some people were making similar comments as I just did after the Tampa game, and I saw improvement there as well. Look at it this way:

Average punts forced:

First seven games: 3.86

Last two games: 7.50

Average second half points allowed:

First seven games: 17.00

Last two games: 8.50

This despite the fact that the offense has been largely useless for the last two games, and that Nevis hasn't played.

I'm hoping that it is reflective of Kevin Thomas starting, and Powers playing better (which I think he did yesterday). Perhaps the young safeties are growing up a bit as well.

As I said, I just haven't had that "we have no chance of stopping them" in these last two second half's. Something has changed for the better. I'm hoping that if the offense gets it's act together we can win some games. Neither Jacksonville or Carolina are in the class of any team we have yet played - even Cleveland.

SEASON TEAM GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM RAT 2011

7 104 195 53.3 1,221 6.26 5 87 5 2

Here are Painters 2011 season stats, they are not pretty, the most alarming thing for me is the average yards per completion, which is at 6.26. That just shows me what we all have been saying which is Painters throws are mostly of the short variety, mainly screens, and check downs. Right now he has no confidence, and it is showing.

Will all the Curtis Painter fans please stand up.