Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon LaFell to the Patriots [Merge]

Just for the people that want to compare Sanders for the Broncos & LaFell for the Patriots:

Sanders
GP: 56, Rec: 161, Targets: 278, Yds: 2030, Avg: 12.6, TD: 11, Catch rate: 58%

LaFell
GP: 60, Rec: 167, Targets: 295, Yds 2385, Avg: 14.3, TD: 13, Catch rate: 57%

Panther fans:

Cam-postgame.jpg

The Panthers had a great year last year, that defense is going to only get better, but the question mark is going to be the offense, Cam had a good year last year, but now with 0 weapons what is the man going to do?

I think he is going to be * at the Panthers front office...

The Panthers need to draft some WR's and a TE this draft or they going to be in trouble.

There isn't much left in FA other than Britt.

The Panthers had a great year last year, that defense is going to only get better, but the question mark is going to be the offense, Cam had a good year last year, but now with 0 weapons what is the man going to do?

The Panthers need to draft some WR's and a TE this draft or they going to be in trouble.

Greg Olsen and ex Colt Mike McNeil (kidding).

They already have Olsen, he's a pretty good TE.

That's the kind of guy I expected them to get. Dobson and Thompkins should be much improved next season though. It probably would have been better for them to have drafted somebody like Allen Robinson.

Actually I have a feeling Thompkins might get cut.

I think this is going to be our final WR corp:

Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, LaFell, Boyce.

I doubt we will add more people to our WR corp. One of the guys will be cut.

There is a possibility we may even cut Boyce and get Britt, but that would be a long shot, and I don't think the Patriots will be spending anymore money on FA. They will have to save up some money for the draft for a TE and some players on D.

Just a question mods, why is this thread in the draft section and the Sanders thread is in the NFL General? They should be both in the same section.

This is also the Free Agent Talk section.

Sorry, we've been quite busy today. Will get that fixed. 

Double Olsen, one corner on McNutt and then blitz the rest every time. :yay: Cam is going to be running for his lift this year. I know they are cap space strapped, but that is ridiculous. Plus any WR's who are drafted, it is one of the toughest positions to transition to in the first year, if ever. Right now, it looks like TB could make a big jump in that division. Panthers have a great D, but O is going to be brutal. Saits O will be OK, but they have lost a lot of good players. We will see about Atlanta. Don't know if the additions work out, since you never know how a FA will fit into your system. FA's are a crap shoot at best, even the best!

TB has some good weapons, they do look scary.

I still think NO will win that division np this upcoming year.

The Falcons...well they are the Falcons, I expect them to have a better year this year, but nothing to worry the Saints.

I feel bad for Cam because the Panthers are screwing him over right now with absolutely zero weapons (minus Olsen). 

They screwed up by first labeling Steve Smith as a distraction and then cutting him after all he did for that franchise, and now they're screwing up by letting all of their veteran/starting wideouts leave for other teams.

What are you freaking doing, Carolina? I'm glad I just traded Cam Newton on my dynasty FF league because I'd be screwed if I started him, but at least I have Luck. Carolina, you better hope you land good FA WR's and good rookie WR's.

On topic, a good signing for New England. Brady will probably turn him into a stud or he'll show that he is a stud, and after almost letting Edelman walk and Amendola being consistently hurt, they need a good WR or two.  

Well, we should probably keep Amendola for 1 more season and see how he does, if he gets injured during the season then cut him and bring in Thompkins. Assign Thompkins to the practice squad.

Hopefully the rookies of last year will improve greatly this year.

Nice signing. I like this guys size and the fact that he can play outside or inside. He had a very good game vs the Pats last year with seven catches.

Poor Carolina. Not sure what they are going to do for receivers now. They will have to load up in the draft at this point. Or maybe swing a trade.

I have to assume with the Panthers unloading at WR they will draft offense heavily.  Why wouldn't they?  They have an elite defense, at one point they had the #1 D in the NFL last season I believe.  I think the Panthers might trade up to grab the best WR the way the Falcons did a few years ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers draft 2 WR's in the first round and end up with 3 WR's and at least 1 TE after the draft.

How is Brandon LaFell as a player?  I don't know much about his game.  Looking at his stats it says he's 6'3" tall and weighs around 210 pounds so he's a good size.  I'm glad the Pats are bringing in taller players.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats cut Thompkins and put LaFell on the outside opposite Dobson "IF" Thompkins doesn't have a good training camp and pre season.

I have to assume with the Panthers unloading at WR they will draft offense heavily.  Why wouldn't they?  They have an elite defense, at one point they had the #1 D in the NFL last season I believe.  I think the Panthers might trade up to grab the best WR the way the Falcons did a few years ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers draft 2 WR's in the first round and end up with 3 WR's and at least 1 TE after the draft.

They should move up to draft Sammy Watkins in the first. That might only cost a 2nd. Then in the 3rd they could get BA WR which could be Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, etc...

Or they could stay put and draft like this:

1st round: Brandon Cooks

2nd Round: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

3rd round: BA RB

But they should get like one FA WR. You don't want an offense with all rookie receivers. Their loss and our gain, but IDK how they didn't land Nicks.

Panthers are also thin in the secondary...they have downgraded themselves to possibly 4th in the division. If Tom Brady had issues getting on the same page last year with new guys...imagine Cam. Those RBs in Carolina may actually earn their paycheck this year....even with 2 rookie wrs Carolina is not looking good in the passing game. Cam will see 8 in the box.

They should move up to draft Sammy Watkins in the first. That might only cost a 2nd. Then in the 3rd they could get BA WR which could be Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, etc...

Or they could stay put and draft like this:

1st round: Brandon Cooks

2nd Round: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

3rd round: BA RB

But they should get like one FA WR. You don't want an offense with all rookie receivers. Their loss and our gain, but IDK how they didn't land Nicks.

They don't need a tight end and trading up to the top 4 would cost them an arm and a leg.

So that won't work out. 

An average of 48 receptions the last two years and 1,200 yards and 9 TDs is terrible? And that was with Newton throwing him the ball in an offense void of star power?

"This guy averaged 52 catches and had 1,600 yards and 9 TDs in the last 2 years with Carson Palmer and an offense devoid of star power. There's no way he's that bad" -Colts fans after signing DHB.

He's the same player.

"This guy averaged 52 catches and had 1,600 yards and 9 TDs in the last 2 years with Carson Palmer and an offense devoid of star power. There's no way he's that bad" -Colts fans after signing DHB.

He's the same player.

So you don't like DHB? I honestly don't know how he fared for you guys but was he not close to that production? What did you think of the Nicks signing as his numbers are not even as good as Lafells or DHB.

So you don't like DHB? I honestly don't know how he fared for you guys but was he not close to that production? What did you think of the Nicks signing as his numbers are not even as good as Lafells or DHB.

Nope. DHB was terrible. Don't take this lightly when I say he was the worst WR I have ever seen. Great guy, terrible player.

As for Nicks, I don't know how you are getting that Lafeells or DHB had better years than him?

He's (Nicks) a good player, great hands, good route runner with insane body-control and hands the size of the titanic. Good at getting YAC and making contested catches. He had a down year playing through injuries last season, but he's a huge upgrade over DHB.

Nope. DHB was terrible. Don't take this when I say he was the worst WR I have ever seen. Great guy, terrible player.

As for Nicks, I don't know how you are getting that Lafeells or DHB had better years than him?

He's (Nicks) a good player, great hands, good route runner with insane body-control and hands the size of the titanic. Good at getting YAC and Miller and comtested catches. He had a down year playing through injuries last season, but he's a huge upgrade over DHB.

Nicks had 55 catches average the last two seasons and about 1500 yards and 3 TDs. DHB stats were better then that with Palmer and LaFell was better with the Panthers the last 2 seasons. And of course as you mentioned, Nicks gets dinged up a lot.

In terms of LaFell, not sure why you would compare how a Colts receiver would fare vs a Pats receiver. We don't play the same offense and Brady has shown that he can make a star out of anyone that can pick up the offense. This kid can play inside or outside and has the size the Pats sorely need at the WR position.

Either way, LaFell is far from terrible.

Lafell is a solid signing on the surface...but it's hard to tell how he will fit into that offense. Will he be a Brandon Lloyd or will he be a Deion Branch....NE's offense is pretty complex in that the wr has to identify what route to run etc...much like Denver...which is why bringing back Edelman was so big. Personally I would have given some more looks at those young receivers...especially Dobson but it seems they might be stashed away....time will tell. NE still is the class of the AFC. I see no reason outside major injuries the AFC Championship will host any different teams.

Nicks had 55 catches average the last two seasons and about 1500 yards and 3 TDs. DHB stats were better then that with Palmer and LaFell was better with the Panthers the last 2 seasons. And of course as you mentioned, Nicks gets dinged up a lot.

Ooooh you meant because of volume stats? Yeah those are worthless. Volume means nothing to me. The only thing that matters to me is efficiency. People who judge by volume come to a bunch of ridiculous conclusions like "Lafell and DHB are better than Hakeem Nicks"

In terms of LaFell, not sure why you would compare how a Colts receiver would fare vs a Pats receiver. We don't play the same offense and Brady has shown that he can make a star out of anyone that can pick up the offense. This kid can play inside or outside and has the size the Pats sorely need at the WR position.

Playing the same offense has nothing to do with how talented he is. As a mater of fact, Lafell is the type of player you DON'T want for the offense you run. You want a guy who's already a terrible route-runner to have to be counted on to recognize coverage and then break of depending on what the guy in front of him is playing? Lafell would be better for an offense Arizona where they like to run deep streaks and crossing routes to get their playmakers in space.

Either way, LaFell is far from terrible.

No, he's pretty bad. Not an upgrade over what you had at all. The Panthers, who's only receivers on the roster have a combined 1 career catch, let him walk when they could have paid him peanuts to stay.