Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut Hasselbeck?

COLTSFAN12to13

Hasselbeck gets $3.6 million a year to mentor Luck (which he was constantly doing in training camp) and to keep the Colts from total disaster should Luck go down.  Hasselbeck is still a smart and accurate QB. 

Any other QBs out there for less money and a low interception %% ? I think not.    

He (Harnish) threw short-hops all of last preseason.  I was surprised he hung with us.  He was very Painter-esque.

I am ready for a new third string.....

No on Hasselbeck.....he shalt retire here.

Lol Hass is a steal at 2.25 mil or whatever IMO ,he could make the offense function if called upon.Im also with you on the third string ,theres got to be someone to develop out there ,who better than Hass to help it along !

Lol Hass is a steal at 2.25 mil or whatever IMO ,he could make the offense function if called upon.Im also with you on the third string ,theres got to be someone to develop out there ,who better than Hass to help it along !

I want the big kid from VA Tech.....Culpepper size.....could actually end up a TE at some point.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1691193/logan-thomas

I want the big kid from VA Tech.....Culpepper size.....could actually end up a TE at some point.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1691193/logan-thomas

Like this one Brother ,footwork seems to be the biggest hurdle ,and we know footwork can be taught.Even the most desired QBs coming out of college have footwork issues to work on.Some of his characteristics sound strangely familiar to me . :spit: Great choice ! Actually he could be a Lucky young man.

Like this one Brother ,footwork seems to be the biggest hurdle ,and we know footwork can be taught.Even the most desired QBs coming out of college have footwork issues to work on.Some of his characteristics sound strangely familiar to me . :spit: Great choice ! Actually he could be a Lucky young man.

A later choice, but just someone I really like.  I think we need to develop a number 2 QB for the future...see how it goes.  Fleener or Allen gets hurt (Aleen has been hurt) he may be a Jimmy Graham/Marcus Pollard basketball TE conversion.

You and I both saw Pollard play basketball at Bradley...back in the day :)

A later choice, but just someone I really like.  I think we need to develop a number 2 QB for the future...see how it goes.  Fleener or Allen gets hurt (Aleen has been hurt) he may be a Jimmy Graham/Marcus Pollard basketball TE conversion.

You and I both saw Pollard play basketball at Bradley...back in the day :)

Yes and he was very good at it ,kinda reminded me as a poor mans David West . :thmsup:

I'd rather not have the 2.25 mil and have a quarterback who has played in the superbowl, for a backup.

Exactly!  What, exactly, would that 2.25 mil buy that takes us over the top?  I'd rather pay 3.75 mil to have MH finish his second year rather than cut him, have 1.5 mil in dead money, C. Harnisch as backup QB, and an extra 2,25 million in cap space. Moving on...

No no no no, it may save Cap space, but if Luck for what ever reason went down would you put all your trust in Harnish an unproven QB who has very little snaps under Center in the NFL. Or Hasselback who has Tons of Experience and still is a more than capable QB? not to mention he provides luck with Guidance, Wisdom, and Understanding.

Not only is Hasselbeck still a capable QB (who can play if ever needed), but he provides outstanding insight for Luck.

They WILL NOT cut him. 

I am guessing some fans have learned nothing from the Peyton era. 

Do we really want to go back to a point where the moment Luck goes down we might as well stop tuning in as the season is over?  Matt is a capaable back up that would give us a chance every week if the worse case scenario happened.

He's ok, but overpaid and could easily be replaced

Uninformed drivel.

You are clinging to nonsense spewed on the forum last year as if it had some shred of truth, and ignoring what actually happened on the field since then. Was he perfect? No. Did he make mistakes, especially early in the season? Yes. Did he look pretty stupid in that head butting incident? Yes.

However,... He was pretty consistent, and mostly played pretty well. He will also likely continue to improve with a full year on the team.

His salary was consistent with what his position and level of play would dictate. He was not overpaid, and could very easily become a real bargain with only minimal improvement.

This kid intrigues me.....good arm....the athleticism is uncanny.  Have him learn with Hasselbeck for two years and get him 7th round..late 6th...or UFA depending...

1 year.  Hasselbeck only has a year left on his contract.  

All I heard about Logan Thomas is that he has all the physical tools but his play was wildly inconsistent.  

1 year.  Hasselbeck only has a year left on his contract.  

All I heard about Logan Thomas is that he has all the physical tools but his play was wildly inconsistent.  

RAW talent....I feel the kind of player Grigs brings in.

I watched Montori Huges last year and noted him as a Grigs guy.....Logan Thomas is as well. (See Adongo and McNary)

My bad on Mat H....need to utilize his mind for a new QB.

Uninformed drivel.

You are clinging to nonsense spewed on the forum last year as if it had some shred of truth, and ignoring what actually happened on the field since then. Was he perfect? No. Did he make mistakes, especially early in the season? Yes. Did he look pretty stupid in that head butting incident? Yes.

However,... He was pretty consistent, and mostly played pretty well. He will also likely continue to improve with a full year on the team.

His salary was consistent with what his position and level of play would dictate. He was not overpaid, and could very easily become a real bargain with only minimal improvement.

Dude, he doea nothing that cant be replaced by a rookie. He's not some game changer that is hard to replace.

Dude, he doea nothing that cant be replaced by a rookie. He's not some game changer that is hard to replace.

Dude, you got nothing that can't be replaced by a five year old's ability to observe and comment on the game.

I'm not claiming he is a game changer. Never did. But not everyone on the roster can or should be (not under a cap system). Walden is an effective role player, and he got paid about what others at his position and effectiveness are getting paid. Acquiring him last year was a solid and unheralded move by Grigson, and I expect him to be a very valuable piece on D this next season.

Dude, you got nothing that can't be replaced by a five year old's ability to observe and comment on the game.

I'm not claiming he is a game changer. Never did. But not everyone on the roster can or should be (not under a cap system). Walden is an effective role player, and he got paid about what others at his position and effectiveness are getting paid. Acquiring him last year was a solid and unheralded move by Grigson, and I expect him to be a very valuable piece on D this next season.

U sound angry, calm thy self. And Walden sux

Harnish is horrible, probably worse than Curtis Painter. If we ever lose Luck, we're in big trouble anyway.

Keep in mind we have never seen Harnish play except with receivers and an O line that would soon be returning home to resume their pizza delivery jobs.  Wish we could see him play with starters for a better analysis.

Keep in mind we have never seen Harnish play except with receivers and an O line that would soon be returning home to resume their pizza delivery jobs.  Wish we could see him play with starters for a better analysis.

He felt the pressure from 2nd and 3rd string defense. Keep that in mind. haha

This kid intrigues me.....good arm....the athleticism is uncanny. Have him learn with Hasselbeck for two years and get him 7th round..late 6th...or UFA depending...

Too many years of being incredibly inconsistent at VT and causing me nothing but frustration. When he's leading your favorite college team, it gives a bit more insight and I wouldn't care to bring him in. Just a rawer Kaep..

Too many years of being incredibly inconsistent at VT and causing me nothing but frustration. When he's leading your favorite college team, it gives a bit more insight and I wouldn't care to bring him in. Just a rawer Kaep..

OK....do you think it is an OK idea to mould him?  He to me is a bigger and better than Harnish.  We can afford to wait with him.  If not TE.

OK....do you think it is an OK idea to mould him? He to me is a bigger and better than Harnish. We can afford to wait with him. If not TE.

As long as we don't waste a draft pick on him. He has awesome physical tools, but I don't think he reads the field well, has choppy footwork, and would be a huge project. More upside than Harnish? Absolutely, but that's not saying much. As a TE, I don't think the time needed to mold him into a capable NFL player would be worth it. Who's the last college QB converted to WR or TE that was mildly successful? Matt Jones?

This was brought up last offseason.  Harnish didn't even look close to Hasselbeck in training camp practices and really showed he's not in the same league during preseason games.  They would have to get rid of Hasselbeck and pay someone else that salary to take his place cause Harnish isn't leaving the practice squad. 

As long as we don't waste a draft pick on him. He has awesome physical tools, but I don't think he reads the field well, has choppy footwork, and would be a huge project. More upside than Harnish? Absolutely, but that's not saying much. As a TE, I don't think the time needed to mold him into a capable NFL player would be worth it. Who's the last college QB converted to WR or TE that was mildly successful? Matt Jones?

Thanks for the reply.  With you seeing him I value your opinion.  All I have seen is clips and some game highlights.  I still like him late or UFA...

Thanks for the reply. With you seeing him I value your opinion. All I have seen is clips and some game highlights. I still like him late or UFA...

We definitely need an upgrade over Harnish soon. We don't have Hasselbeck for much longer..

He (Harnish) threw short-hops all of last preseason.  I was surprised he hung with us.  He was very Painter-esque.

I am ready for a new third string.....

No on Hasselbeck.....he shalt retire here.

Amen Brent Amen! I know I always say this, but it bears repeating: Matthew got robbed in the 2005 SB & I want him to win a Championship this year. Harnish is not the answer if Luck goes down. You need a proven commodity in Hasselbeck. 

Cutting our backup QB Matt Hasselbeck would save us 2.25 million dollars. Would this be a smart idea? Is Harnish a good enough backup to Luck? 

I'm not sure we should cut Hasselbeck but honestly i could see it happening, would allow us more flexibility on the open market.

Not a good idea. Quality back up QB's don't seem important to some until they find out too late that they don't have one.

Cutting our backup QB Matt Hasselbeck would save us 2.25 million dollars. Would this be a smart idea? Is Harnish a good enough backup to Luck? 

I'm not sure we should cut Hasselbeck but honestly i could see it happening, would allow us more flexibility on the open market. 

I will get straight to the point - NO! :)

If we had to have MH win us a few games then I would feel comfortable. If we had to have Harnish win us a few games then chalk those games up as losses. 

I would feel more comfortable with cutting Harnish altogether and getting a new backup to groom in 2015.