Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis

12isthenew18

Wondering if we should check out all options for CB?? Not totally sold on Davis for the type of money that it is going to take to keep him.  

hes a perfect fit for our scheme he knows the system and think he was at least in the top 10 for shut down corners and you want to get someone else

Actually, no...  Davis & Toler at starting CB's?  Even though our pass rush wasn't the greatest this year at times it seems like when we played the better teams in the league we could not get off the field.  I'm not putting this all on Davis's shoulders, because the defense has to get better as a whole.  It's gonna be a lot of money for someone who may or may not play up to that level next year.  

Even though our pass rush wasn't the greatest this year at times it seems like when we played the better teams in the league we could not get off the field. 

in other words.... "We had zero pass rush outside of Mathis and sometimes the good teams scored on us. so Davis isn't very good."

Davis was NOT the problem last year.  He is a MUST sign FA.  Priority #1.  

Actually, no... Davis & Toler at starting CB's? Even though our pass rush wasn't the greatest this year at times it seems like when we played the better teams in the league we could not get off the field. I'm not putting this all on Davis's shoulders, because the defense has to get better as a whole. It's gonna be a lot of money for someone who may or may not play up to that level next year.

Davis is a top CB Toler is the one that sucks we need a better FS to pair with Landry and a better #2 CB

Well grimes got 8 mill yearly Davis is 5 years younger so I'm thinking Vontae would want about 11 mill or 10 a year that's a lot. I would rather sign a guy like Sam shields for 8 mill if Davis is wanting way too much

I don't think he gets that much.  I think the difference is he's gonna ask for more guaranteed money and maybe a slightly higher salary.  

I'd say 4/36 - 20 mil guaranteed.  First and 2nd year salary fully guaranteed plus 2 million signing bonus.  

Well grimes got 8 mill yearly Davis is 5 years younger so I'm thinking Vontae would want about 11 mill or 10 a year that's a lot. I would rather sign a guy like Sam shields for 8 mill if Davis is wanting way too much

And then Sam Shields will come in, struggle in his first year like most players do in their first year in a new defense with new teammates, and before the season ends people will be calling for Shields to be released so we can sign whoever is the flavor of the month to replace him.  Rinse and repeat.

I don't think shields will struggle granted he is not as physical as Davis but his speed makes up for it. I've seen a few GB games where he gets burned but his speed and closing makes up for it. I just don't see Davis as a 10 mill yearly guy.