Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Cosell takes a look at the FA Safties. High praise for Bethea

How the hell is Bethea ranked ahead of Ward and Whitner? 

what a terrible list 

To be clear,  the list is NOT Cosell's....  the list is from someone at ESPN.com....

Not sure that Cosell agrees with the list....   they didn't show Bethea until towards the end of the segment,  though Cosell offered great praise for him...

Grigson has been very public in his praise for Bethea and his desire to bring him back....   I'd anticipate Bethea coming back tot he Colts....

To be clear,  the list is NOT Cosell's....  the list is from someone at ESPN.com....

Not sure that Cosell agrees with the list....   they didn't show Bethea until towards the end of the segment,  though Cosell offered great praise for him...

Grigson has been very public in his praise for Bethea and his desire to bring him back....   I'd anticipate Bethea coming back tot he Colts....

I was thinking Bethea was coming back for a while but close to 2 weeks till FA now and Im now probably I'd say closer to 30-40 percent sure he will be back and that goes for some of our other players as well that have become fan favorites..... Mcafee...Vinatierie

I was thinking Bethea was coming back for a while but close to 2 weeks till FA now and Im now probably I'd say closer to 30-40 percent sure he will be back and that goes for some of our other players as well that have become fan favorites..... Mcafee...Vinatierie

Why the change?    You can't sign FA's now...  at least, I don't think you can.

You have to wait for the window that opens in March.

So, what has made you change your thinking?

Why the change?    You can't sign FA's now...  at least, I don't think you can.

You have to wait for the window that opens in March.

So, what has made you change your thinking?

He is not currently a FA though until March 11th, Until then I believe they have time to extend his current deal I believe. Now maybe he just cant sign it till March 11th

He is not currently a FA though until March 11th, Until then I believe they have time to extend his current deal I believe. Now maybe he just cant sign it till March 11th

They can't contact and negotiate contracts (publicly, anyway - can't say what happens behind closed doors) until March 8.  No contract can be executed until 4pm on March 11th.  The point is basically to give teams the first chance to re-sign players. 

They can't contact and negotiate contracts (publicly, anyway - can't say what happens behind closed doors) until March 8.  No contract can be executed until 4pm on March 11th.  The point is basically to give teams the first chance to re-sign players. 

Those terms have nothing to do with your own FA's.  Bethea can sign a new deal with the Colts anytime.....

you sure on that? Im like 90% sure

Bethea is under contract until March 11. We all know that the Colts are negotiating with V. Davis currently. Yes, I'm sure you can negotiate new terms with a player that you have under contract anytime, unless it is a rookie contract.  Rookies have to be in year 3 before they can be extended, I believe.  

Those terms have nothing to do with your own FA's.  Bethea can sign a new deal with the Colts anytime.....

That's what I was thinking as well.  Here's an example I just found...Paul Soliai is set to become an UFA, however KFFL reports:

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL/?cat=free

Dolphins | Expected to make offer to Paul Soliai

Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:33:27 -0800

Updating a previous report, the Miami Dolphins are expected to make a contract offer to impending free-agent DT Paul Soliai before the start of free agency.

- See more at: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL/?cat=free#sthash.bUOH0wf6.dpuf

They wouldn't be expected to make a contract offer before the start of FA if they weren't allowed to so yes, I believe ztboiler is correct.

You could be right, I suppose, but I was almost positive that it was for all clubs and their own players, adn then after March 11, anyone could negotiate with the UFA.  I mean, it does make sense, and that's why I always wondered why you see articles like "Player X and Team Y close to a deal" in the middle of February.  So I guess the more I think about it, the more I think you're right.

OK....   so the only question you answered is about when people can be signed...  or not signed...  March 11.   Great.

Now, how about the original question that I asked...   you know...   this one...   Why did you change your opinion...  the one I'm pasting below...    this was your view yesterday that I asked about...

So.....   your answer would be......    what again?

If we didn't have Landry, Bethea would make sense to bring back. We need to get a true FS that can cover. Then you would see a big difference in Landry's play. I love Bethea, but its time to move on. If we don't draft a FS we should target one of Clemons or Jenkins. Bethea needs to go somewhere like Chicago and play SS.

If we didn't have Landry, Bethea would make sense to bring back. We need to get a true FS that can cover. Then you would see a big difference in Landry's play. I love Bethea, but its time to move on. If we don't draft a FS we should target one of Clemons or Jenkins. Bethea needs to go somewhere like Chicago and play SS.

Jenkins? As in Malcolm Jenkins? 

I know thats my point if it happens we will be in safety HELL!

Nah, we'll fill in with another vet safety and draft a safety just the same as if we signed Bethea.  Bethea is the logical choice to keep but has become an interchangeable part with the rest of the market.