Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Byrd will be franchised by Buffalo

For all of the members who has visions of Jairous Byrd with a horseshoe on the side of his helmet in the upcoming season, I have to bust your bubble. Buffalo, even with the 20% bump he will get due to being franchised two years in a row, meaning he will earn around 10M if no long term deal is signed, said they plan to tag him and work on a long term deal. The reason, Cleveland really want Byrd, and they obviously have plenty of cap space to pay him. It may turn out that Buffalon tags him, and then trades him to Cleveland, because he is clearly not happy in Buffalo, but maybe a long term deal will cure that. If it does not, you can only franchise someone twice, so he could make 10M this year, and walk next year into a really big contract. I don't know if that is something he would do, but for this year he is off limits, so the chatter about acquiring him can stop. I would love him in our backfield, but paying him between 9-10M a year is just too much. Here is the link to the article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327933/article/buffalo-bills-plan-to-franchise-tag-jairus-byrd-if-needed

I tend to look at the glass half full, it leaves us more money to sign Mack or Evan Dietrich Smith! :thmup:

For all of the members who has visions of Jairous Byrd with a horseshoe on the side of his helmet in the upcoming season, I have to bust your bubble. Buffalo, even with the 20% bump he will get due to being franchised two years in a row, meaning he will earn around 10M if no long term deal is signed, said they plan to tag him and work on a long term deal. The reason, Cleveland really want Byrd, and they obviously have plenty of cap space to pay him. It may turn out that Buffalon tags him, and then trades him to Cleveland, because he is clearly not happy in Buffalo, but maybe a long term deal will cure that. If it does not, you can only franchise someone twice, so he could make 10M this year, and walk next year into a really big contract. I don't know if that is something he would do, but for this year he is off limits, so the chatter about acquiring him can stop. I would love him in our backfield, but paying him between 9-10M a year is just too much. Here is the link to the article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327933/article/buffalo-bills-plan-to-franchise-tag-jairus-byrd-if-needed

I tend to look at the glass half full, it leaves us more money to sign Mack or Evan Dietrich Smith! :thmup:

Not that it's likely to happen or has ever happened but I believe a player can be tagged 3 consecutive years rather than the two that you state. 

If Cleveland can trade for him then why can't we?  ;)

2015's first round pick anyone?

No way!   You need a lot of production out of many players on their rookie contracts in the game today.  Draft picks are probably more important now as they ever have been (because of salary cap and rookie wage scale).  Don't gamble with that 1st round pick -- you never know how a season could implode due to injuries (or whatever) and the #1 could be very valuable.

It would make more sense to go after Ward if Cleveland wants to trade for Byrd (assuming they wouldn't sign both).  I'd still rather have the top priority be interior OL for FA even if both Ward and Byrd were available. 

I can understand not trading a 1st and 3rd to Buffalo for Byrd....and agonizing over his free agency price tag on the now very slim chance he hits the market.

For the record....I was a proponent for actually pursuing Byrd in free agency, but it looks like he won't be hitting the market.

My question is......how does everyone believe we should improve the Safety position?

....or do you think we should just stand pat, pay Bethea his asking price and start him and Landry again?

I can understand not trading a 1st and 3rd to Buffalo for Byrd....and agonizing over his free agency price tag on the now very slim chance he hits the market.

For the record....I was a proponent for actually pursuing Byrd in free agency, but it looks like he won't be hitting the market.

My question is......how does everyone believe we should improve the Safety position?

....or do you think we should just stand pat, pay Bethea his asking price and start him and Landry again?

Problem is Bethea with Landry sucks we need a more ball hawk S to pair with Landry

Problem is Bethea with Landry sucks we need a more ball hawk S to pair with Landry

I agree with that....but it looks like it won't be Byrd.

I'm just curious what other Colts fans think we SHOULD do....I totally get that Byrd would be priced high whether it be by trade or free agency and folks being opposed to pursuing him.

I agree with that....but it looks like it won't be Byrd.

I'm just curious what other Colts fans think we SHOULD do....I totally get that Byrd would be priced high whether it be by trade or free agency and folks being opposed to pursuing him.

I was right there with you wanting him he causes turnovers just what the colts D needs

Now I guess we can sign Evan detrich smith Verner and Asamoah and draft a S in the 2nd and ILB in the 3rd

I was right there with you wanting him he causes turnovers just what the colts D needs

Now I guess we can sign Evan detrich smith Verner and Asamoah and draft a S in the 2nd and ILB in the 3rd

Hopefully....the abundance of OL's and WRs will push a good FS option down to us at our #58 spot.

Davis and Verner at CB wouldn't suck either.

Hopefully....the abundance of OL's and WRs will push a good FS option down to us at our #58 spot.

Davis and Verner at CB wouldn't suck either.

Exactly we would have a great CB duo and try to get the best ball hawk S at 58 and that in turn will help Landry improve too

Hoping alot of QBs OL and WRs get taken to help our chances

Why did players ever agree to the franchise in the first place? Way to go union!

I've often wondered the same thing.

According to NFLN this might be why....

"Teams can continuously franchise players, but it'll cost them to do that. As had been the case previously, a player tagged a second straight year would have his number set at 120 percent of the previous figure. A third straight year? That's where things change, and the percentage goes up to 144."

It sounds like the NFLPA horse-traded for that higher 144% bump for situations such as what Buffalo reportedly says its going to do.

If I'm not mistaken that puts Buffalo's cost for Byrd, since they're tagging him again....at nearly 10M guaranteed next season instead of the $8.1M tag price for Safeties....and having to absorb the cap hit at the same time.

And netting Byrd nearly $17M in guaranteed money over these two seasons they've slapped him with the tag.