Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's Intense Preparation Puts Teammates on Edge

sweetsurrender

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? When? Oh, you mean Eli Manning.

No. Peyton has won one since the last time Brady one a SB. Also, Peyton has been in the SB three of the last seven years and if you add Eli, a Manning has been in the SB five of the last eight years. Brady hasn't one a SB in almost ten years and may never get there again.

No. Peyton has won one since the last time Brady one a SB. Also, Peyton has been in the SB three of the last seven years and if you add Eli, a Manning has been in the SB five of the last eight years. Brady hasn't one a SB in almost ten years and may never get there again.

Neither Brady nor Peyton Manning have won anything recently.

Hey, at the beginning of the season, it was Joe Flacco who said something to the extent of Peyton expecting so much from his teammates can have a slight bearing on them not playing loose.

You see it in every sport. Ivan Lendl was a big example of succeeding via hard work in tennis, countless hours and hours of hard work and preparation but when it came to game time, in his prime, he would be consistent enough to get into the semi-finals almost every time. But then, he would run into a McEnroe or Becker on a surface friendly to McEnroe and Becker, mainly grass, where you would have to improvise and use your athleticism and instincts. He could not overcome that, never won Wimbledon. He even lost to Pat Cash of Australia in the 1987 Wimbledon finals, and Pat Cash never won any Grand Slam besides that Wimbledon. A few years later, it was Jim Courier, countless and countless hours of training and preparation that got him to a consistent level of winning but when he played guys like Andre Agassi or Pete Sampras who could improvise and figure things out over the course of a game, things went south.

Peyton is that kind of player. The elite teams can plan for how he will react to certain circumstances and play his reaction to neutralize him. Guys like Big Ben and Eli, you can plan for X and suddenly, they pull out a Y. You will see those attributes in guys like Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson too as the years go on. You cannot plan for those things, and that is the "IT" factor. Peyton is the extremely high floor, but no more improvisation or unpredictable ceiling kind of guy. It was not till Flacco pulled off such plays (fluky or not, his moving outside the pocket and delivering throws) that the Ravens won it all.

That could also be the same reason why Dan Marino never won much in the playoffs and went to the SB just once. He could be game planned for. John Elway, as much as he had to carry weaker teams early on in his career, had the ability to make plays with his feet or improvise a bit on the run. I don't frankly see that in Peyton, looking at it objectively. I just think it has gotten to the point that if Peyton is in the AFCCG ever again, every NFC team is rooting to see a Peyton led team in the SB for the wrong reasons for Peyton.

What goes for players goes for coaches too. When Tom Coughlin came with a "no nonsense" boot camp attitude, the Giants players somewhat responded but he was not embraced across the board. When he decided to lighten up a bit (you can watch A Football Life on Tom Coughlin on NFL Network), his players responded better and it helped them accomplish bigger things instead of constantly deal with the tension.

Neither Brady nor Peyton Manning have won anything recently.

NE was 13-5 last season...Denver was 15-4

..but the arguement is far fetched..with all due respect....

Less preparation is better than more...?

Denver beats Seattle or comes close if they just put less pressure on themselves...?

Really?

I don't think it's silly.  It's players being quoted. 

I don't think it's silly.  It's players being quoted. 

Its still silly, TD....here's some facts.....Denver was 13-4 in 2012..

..and their stated goal before the 2013 season was to reach and to win the Super Bowl.

They were favored in every single game but one (at NE) and they lost 5 defensive starters....to injury

..and the result is..they went 15-4...and the argument is they'd have done better than 15-4 with less pressure

Its like saying 2 plus 2 could be 7 in an alternate universe.....Its a theory in search of a result...

......If we were talking the Texans, maybe you'd take it seriously

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303743604579352753024080802?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303743604579352753024080802.html

Interesting article here on Manning and his intense preparation that sometimes puts his teammates on edge. I pulled some quotes out below. This perhaps puts more credence behind Rodney Harrison's comments after the Super Bowl that Manning may over prepare which by extension makes his teammates get tight.

"Walking by Manning in Denver's locker room is a source of anxiety for all Broncos players, they say. Running back Ronnie Hillman said he tenses up when he brushes past him. This is because Manning is known to give passersby a pop quiz about Denver's upcoming opponent. Backup quarterback Zac Dysert said the questions Manning asks him usually focus on where the ball should go against a particular coverage. It is "definitely easy to be scared" of Manning, he said."

"I don't think Denver had any idea of what you get in Peyton Manning. You have to stimulate him mentally or you'll lose him," said former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon, now an analyst for SiriusXM Radio. "Equipment guys, trainers, video guys, coaches—everyone has to be on edge."

The practice field is Manning's main laboratory for overbearing behavior. Manning often doesn't wait for the Broncos' assistant coaches to correct the players' mistakes—and that doesn't apply to just the offense.

Safety David Bruton said Manning can get irked when a special-teams player drops a punt on another field, off in the distance. "Or even if we miss blocks during the kicking phase of practice," Bruton said. Manning won't even tolerate mistakes that fail to take advantage of his mistakes: Bruton said the quarterback will get perturbed if a defensive back fails to catch Manning's own potential interception.

.....when Michael Jordan did this (and more) they called it leadership..

"Manning doesn't wait for coaches to correct mistakes"  "Manning wont tolerate mistakes" Really?

.....I'm sure Brady is just like him..that's how they win...

You cant just shuck and jive through practice and hope you play well Sunday

.....when Michael Jordan did this (and more) they called it leadership..

"Manning doesn't wait for coaches to correct mistakes"  "Manning wont tolerate mistakes" Really?

.....I'm sure Brady is just like him..that's how they win...

You cant just shuck and jive through practice and hope you play well Sunday

Good points. But I have never heard Jordan's teammates ever say they were afraid of him.

Good points. But I have never heard Jordan's teammates ever say they were afraid of him.

Sweet,.....

I'm up here in the Chicago area and they most certainly did..

Ask John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Ron Harper and others..

Michael would throw players out of practice or berate them for practicing poorly..

..and Phil Jackson was OK with it..because they got over their hurt feelings when they won

Stories are..Mike was hard core....Jordan was probably much more driven than Peyton or Tom Brady ...

he pushed everybody

Sweet,.....

I'm up here in the Chicago area and they most certainly did..

Ask John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Ron Harper and others..

Michael would throw players out of practice or berate them for practicing poorly..

..and Phil Jackson was OK with it..because they got over their hurt feelings when they won

Stories are..Mike was hard core....Jordan was probably much more driven than Peyton or Tom Brady ...

he pushed everybody

I never saw any quotes where they said they were afraid of him. He held them accountable like all the greats do but I get the sense with Peyton that football is all he ever thinks about and can't just let it go and be one of the guys. The "always on" factor wears on his teammates is a better way of putting it. At least that is how I read the article.

Really?

Need I post the video of Saturday getting in Manning's face after he yelled at the o-line?

At least Brady has never thrown his teammates under the bus.

Neither has Manning, and don't give that lousy 2005 press conference after the loss to the Steelers. He didn't throw anyone under.

Hmm some of these posts above me seem to be all over the map here, But bottom line.....Peyton is a winner....He EXPECTS success....He does not just play hard...practice hard....gameplan hard just to have the chance to win...He EXPECTS to win......your not gonna win every game BUT if you go out and be very detail oriented...Making sure everyone is on the same page...Making sure everyone gives there best effort and knows where they are supposed to be then you may still even lose but at least you lose with no regrets......If your team has a QB thats even a small percentage of how detail oriented Peyton is then you should consider yourself lucky to have a QB like that

You missed the point. It had nothing to do with work ethic.

One can work his tail off and still never get it, Others are naturals and don't need to work as hard as others.

If one demands and expects perfection from his teammates, he must first demand and expect perfection from himself. Some guys don't respond well to people who make a mistake, then berate others for their mistakes.

Manning may be better served by letting the coaches do their job and let players do theirs. After all, he has a history of coming up a bit short in the bigger games of his career.

so youre telling me that you dont think he is just as hard on himself? I can guarantee that is not the case.

Ever see a tom Brady tantrum? At least manning doesn't do that

And that's relevant to the story because...???

You just can't help yourself, can you.  ;)

"Player A" exhibits this type of behavior and his fans say, "What a competitor! Hates to lose!"

"Player B" does the same thing and it's, "OMG what a crybaby!!!"

Anyway, I liked the article. I hope the younger Broncos learn what I've learned in my own (non-professional-football) life... the people who are the hardest on you and who demand the most from you are the ones who you owe in the end. I've had bosses that I've hated because they never seemed to let up on me. But now, looking back, those are the people who made me better.

It's admirable that... even as the son of an NFL quarterback, a #1 pick overall, a guy who's road to the NFL was paved with gold bricks... Manning still has this kind of borderline sociopathic work ethic. 

How so

Really? Dude's a well-known scumbag on and off the court.

Here's a story Chamillionaire tells about the time he met Jordan. (I hope this is the right link, youtube is blocked at work and I just copied the URL from google)

(some language)

You can find a bunch of other stories around the internet where he belittles people who works at the Casion's he frequents.

I read one story about how some girl was going to talk to him to get his autograph and he palmed here face and pushed her out of his way.

Probably cause they were scared to say that to the media lol. After reading and hearing stories about Jordan, if find it hard to fathom some of his teammates were not intimidated by him. The guys was known to berate teammates in practice. Hell, he once decked Steve Kerr during a scrimmage.

How so

Dont let his act on TV fool you.  Ive seen and heard so many stories about his attitude towards fans and people.  Heck, he didnt even bother going to UNC and show his face when they inducted him into their Hall of Fame.  I would compare him to metallica, one way in front of the cameras, totally different in a private setting when it comes to his fans and stuff.

No he Pouts!

There were stories in Indy about how he Dominated the lockerroom as I have posted here before, (you had to behave like he wanted in the), and the organization as a whole.

Never mind he had a 100 Int.`s his 1st 5 seasons as he played scared (happy feet) in the pocket and pouted constantly.

He beat up the weaklings in the regular season and was a CHUMP in plenty of playoff games. One & dones.

It took him MANY years to learn to throw on the spot accurately. There is no Problem him pushing his guys to learn to read defenses just like he does and run the right routes. But how many receivers come out of college as GOOD route runners, though having several years of practice and games to learn it?

Brazill has 2 years with Luck and look at the Dung job he/they did to start our playoff game.

Hmmm! Reminded me of what? Oh maybe Manning and the Hall of Famer Reggie in a SUPER BOWL.

I was surprised he could still CHOKE as bad as he did in this SB, but I know he is getting paid well to Not be Embarrased.

People love to overlook the facts.  His play during the playoffs, his stats and numbers, were no different or worse than his regular season.  8/12 playoff losses were due to last minute scores by the opposing teams.  His stats during this latest SB are better than half the QB's in the league on ANY day.

People love to overlook the facts.  His play during the playoffs, his stats and numbers, were no different or worse than his regular season.  8/12 playoff losses were due to last minute scores by the opposing teams.  His stats during this latest SB are better than half the QB's in the league on ANY day.

His QBR for the SB was 24 which was the worst rating since Rex Grossman.

Probably cause they were scared to say that to the media lol. After reading and hearing stories about Jordan, if find it hard to fathom some of his teammates were not intimidated by him. The guys was known to berate teammates in practice. Hell, he once decked Steve Kerr during a scrimmage.

That's a good point. I was actually surprised that the players allowed their names to be used in this article as when a player is going to say something negative especially about a player of Manning's caliber they usually do so anonymously. 

His QBR for the SB was 24 which was the worst rating since Rex Grossman.

Really?  Youre going by QBR?  omg, i cant take anything you say from now on with any kind of seriousness.

34/49  (69.4% completion percentage)

280 yards

1 TD

2 Int.

Now take into account, 1 INT was from it being blocked, or rather his arm being blocked.  Then take into account all the drops his receivers had.  His seasonal completion percentage is 68.3%

Going by the QBR you'd think thats the reason why they lost, when in fact, he was the only reason they even scored or had a chance. The 2nd int that was because his arm was blocked is the only reason that his passer rating is low. Otherwise it would have been up in the 90's like his game against SD. 

Please, come back with something more intelligent than QBR.  ESPN's joke of a stat.

They call it the Super Bowl but it is still the NFL Championship game.

Wrong        The Lombardi is the Superbowl trophy & the NFL Championship played last in 1969 .  If you have a link that says otherwise I would love to see it .

Give me facts your opinion is not even close .

Google it you might learn something   .

Really? Dude's a well-known scumbag on and off the court.

Here's a story Chamillionaire tells about the time he met Jordan. (I hope this is the right link, youtube is blocked at work and I just copied the URL from google)

(some language)

You can find a bunch of other stories around the internet where he belittles people who works at the Casion's he frequents.

I read one story about how some girl was going to talk to him to get his autograph and he palmed here face and pushed her out of his way.

Ill look around but the last persons word on Michael Jordan Ill believe will be some rapper who repeatedly uses the N word in lyrics in his songs yet accuses Jordan of supposedly calling him one

Ill look around but the last persons word on Micheal Jordan Ill believe will be some rapper who repeatedly uses the N word in lyrics in his songs yet accuses Jordan of supposedly calling him one

I don't get the connection. I think he was more angry at the way it was said, instead of what he said. Regardless, I have no reason not to believe this story.