Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's Intense Preparation Puts Teammates on Edge

sweetsurrender

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303743604579352753024080802?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303743604579352753024080802.html

Interesting article here on Manning and his intense preparation that sometimes puts his teammates on edge. I pulled some quotes out below. This perhaps puts more credence behind Rodney Harrison's comments after the Super Bowl that Manning may over prepare which by extension makes his teammates get tight.

"Walking by Manning in Denver's locker room is a source of anxiety for all Broncos players, they say. Running back Ronnie Hillman said he tenses up when he brushes past him. This is because Manning is known to give passersby a pop quiz about Denver's upcoming opponent. Backup quarterback Zac Dysert said the questions Manning asks him usually focus on where the ball should go against a particular coverage. It is "definitely easy to be scared" of Manning, he said."

"I don't think Denver had any idea of what you get in Peyton Manning. You have to stimulate him mentally or you'll lose him," said former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon, now an analyst for SiriusXM Radio. "Equipment guys, trainers, video guys, coaches—everyone has to be on edge."

The practice field is Manning's main laboratory for overbearing behavior. Manning often doesn't wait for the Broncos' assistant coaches to correct the players' mistakes—and that doesn't apply to just the offense.

Safety David Bruton said Manning can get irked when a special-teams player drops a punt on another field, off in the distance. "Or even if we miss blocks during the kicking phase of practice," Bruton said. Manning won't even tolerate mistakes that fail to take advantage of his mistakes: Bruton said the quarterback will get perturbed if a defensive back fails to catch Manning's own potential interception.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see how some players would find that overbearing.  But is this really surprising?  Or even bad?  Peyton gets annoyed when a player doesn't do his job.  Peyton's doing everything he can to help the team win; I don't think it's ridiculous for him to expect the same out of others.  It might be a little too much for him to be quizzing the trainers and equipment staff, but I don't see the problem with him expecting people to prepare to the best of their abilities.

Furthermore, the article seems to try to put a spin on it as though Peyton gets mad at everyone else.  From what I've seen in Peyton's career, the second he throws a pick and the play is dead, he goes to the sidelines to look over the photos and see what went wrong.  He doesn't just lament over it and blame others.  Heck, I even see him do that on touchdown drives.  He's always trying to improve.

Go back to the Combine and ask Hillman or Dysert if they had the chance to become better players, what they would give.  I'm sure they (as well as all other prospects) would say they would give anything for it and they're going to work as hard as they can to be the best player they can be.  What Peyton's doing might irk them, but he's just trying to drive the point home that you really have to prepare for each game.

It seems like the author of the article is the one really trying to drive the point home that Peyton's annoying.  It appears as though he takes the quotes out of context.

That's what happens when you have a general on the field that never looks like he's enjoying himself and takes himself way too seriously.

Okay, I guess. Peyton loves the game and you can tell. If you had to pay money to play in the NFL I guarantee Peyton would do it.

Just having read the quote, I'm not surprised by players being intimidated or tense around him. Peyton takes all of this very seriously and expects the same level of work from everyone around him.

I'm paraphrasing here, but I remember Dungy saying that Peyton wouldn't make a good coach because he's too much of a perfectionist. Players would never be able to meet his expectations. I could totally see that. He'd have to ease up some or he'd have a stroke or something.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, February 16, 2014 - political and personal
Hidden by Superman, February 16, 2014 - political and personal

That's what happens when you have a general on the field that never looks like he's enjoying himself and takes himself way too seriously.

Yeah shame on him for taking it seriously I guess he just wants to earn his keep and not just get a handout like you and your healthcare

Posted · Hidden by Superman, February 16, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Superman, February 16, 2014 - quoting removed post

Yeah shame on him for taking it seriously I guess he just wants to earn his keep and not just get a handout like you and your healthcare

While I don't agree with Bogie's post, I do think he has a right to state his opinion without being personally attacked.

True. Manning is a known slacker

You missed the point.  It had nothing to do with work ethic.

One can work his tail off and still never get it,  Others are naturals and don't need to work as hard as others.

If one demands and expects perfection from his teammates, he must first demand and expect perfection from himself.  Some guys don't respond well to people who make a  mistake, then berate others for their mistakes.

Manning may be better served by letting the coaches do their job and let players do theirs.    After all, he has a history of coming up a bit short in the bigger games of his career.

You missed the point.  It had nothing to do with work ethic.

One can work his tail off and still never get it,  Others are naturals and don't need to work as hard as others.

If one demands and expects perfection from his teammates, he must first demand and expect perfection from himself.  Some guys don't respond well to people who make a  mistake, then berate others for their mistakes.

Manning may be better served by letting the coaches do their job and let players do theirs.    After all, he has a history of coming up a bit short in the bigger games of his career.

I didn't miss the supposed point. I was making a joke because this thread is silly and typical of the off season.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 16, 2014 - political
Hidden by Nadine, February 16, 2014 - political

He probably gets tired for working for what he has and EARNING (and unfamiliar concept for you I can see) t solely through his blood sweat and tears. He doesn't sit around waiting for a handout or waiting for someone else to make something happen. Brady pouts like a little girl since he hasn't won a sb without knowing the other teams coverage pre snap and not having a great defense he's just mad he's not getting a handout that bails him out of his mediocre play like the Super Bowl years

He probably gets tired for working for what he has and EARNING (and unfamiliar concept for you I can see) t solely through his blood sweat and tears. He doesn't sit around waiting for a handout or waiting for someone else to make something happen. Brady pouts like a little girl since he hasn't won a sb without knowing the other teams coverage pre snap and not having a great defense he's just mad he's not getting a handout that bails him out of his mediocre play like the Super Bowl years

That sounds like sour grapes.

I can see how some players would find that overbearing.  But is this really surprising?  Or even bad? 

If a star player is always correcting others and then falters in the biggest game it may be a bad thing.  That could have a negative impact on team chemestry. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 16, 2014 - complaining abut moderation
Hidden by Nadine, February 16, 2014 - complaining abut moderation

Who's won more NFL championships?

I know this is hard for you accept but I. Gonna lay it out there and I am probably alone in my opinion on this forum but....here it goes

Football is a team sport

It's really sad that on a colts forum there is a bunch of haters who come here to bash a guy who's not even on the team but it's the mods fault they let all these manning bashing threads pop up and do whatever they can to lockup a thread that is even remotely not positive about Tom Brady.... On the colts forum

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 16, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, February 16, 2014 - quoting removed post

I know this is hard for you accept but I. Gonna lay it out there and I am probably alone in my opinion on this forum but....here it goes

Football is a team sport

It's really sad that on a colts forum there is a bunch of haters who come here to bash a guy who's not even on the team but it's the mods fault they let all these manning bashing threads pop up and do whatever they can to lockup a thread that is even remotely not positive about Tom Brady.... On the colts forum

This is far from a Manning bashing. These players were quoted ... I think after what happened in the SB it bears some weight -everyone is trying to figure out why the most historic offense of all time put up 8. The players being wound too tight may have played into their performance to a degree. It is too simplistic to just give ALL the credit to the Seahawks when the Broncos were not competitive ...

This is far from a Manning bashing. These players were quoted ... I think after what happened in the SB it bears some weight -everyone is trying to figure out why the most historic offense of all time put up 8. The players being wound too tight may have played into their performance to a degree. It is too simplistic to just give ALL the credit to the Seahawks when the Broncos were not competitive ...

The quotes are from a 2nd year third string RB and the 2nd year back up QB.....seriously? And to take those two somewhat harmless quotes and turn that into "well, that's why the team played tight" is kinda ridiculous.

The quotes are from a 2nd year third string RB and the 2nd year back up QB.....seriously? And to take those two somewhat harmless quotes and turn that into "well, that's why the team played tight" is kinda ridiculous.

The whole of the article was not just about those players but a climate that is set by Manning in the locker room and on the practice field. I do think there is some merit to it. I am not saying that is the sole or major reason why they lost by any means but may help to explain some of the tightness. I have watched Manning teams for a long time and he never looks like he can relax and that can/does effect his teammates. 

The whole of the article was not just about those players but a climate that is set by Manning in the locker room and on the practice field. I do think there is some merit to it. I am not saying that is the sole or major reason why they lost by any means but may help to explain some of the tightness. I have watched Manning teams for a long time and he never looks like he can relax and that can/does effect his teammates.

They lost in the SB to a better team. Funny nobody was bringing this up when that same offense was breaking records. He might be anal and annoying, but I find it hard to believe that would cause players to play tight on Sundays. Hell, that describes every coach in the league.

They lost in the SB to a better team. Funny nobody was bringing this up when that same offense was breaking records. He might be anal and annoying, but I find it hard to believe that would cause players to play tight on Sundays. Hell, that describes every coach in the league.

This article was written before the SB. Not every HC is that way at all. Perfect example is Pete Carroll as the shining example of a players coach who had his team loose and ready to go for that SB. And John Fox seems like he is just a guy that stands on the sideline looking bewildered when his team struggles ... he may be the anti-Manning ...

This article was written before the SB. Not every HC is that way at all. Perfect example is Pete Carroll as the shining example of a players coach who had his team loose and ready to go for that SB. And John Fox seems like he is just a guy that stands on the sideline looking bewildered when his team struggles ... he may be the anti-Manning ...

Yeah, and everybody just loved Pete's style when he was hired.....give me a break. Helps when Pete has crap ton of good players and very few injuries. When you win people find ways to make you a genius and when you lose people try to find an explanation.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 16, 2014 - quoting removed posts
Hidden by Nadine, February 16, 2014 - quoting removed posts

Again, if you don't like a member's post that is fine.  But, it does not give you leave to attack them personally.

Football is a team sport

Contrary to what you may think, moderators do not do whatever they can to lockup a thread that is even remotely not positive about Tom Brady. 

When those threads are locked it is usually because they get out of control due to :slapfight:among the members. 

If a star player is always correcting others and then falters in the biggest game it may be a bad thing.  That could have a negative impact on team chemestry. 

But he doesn't give himself a free pass.  Ask Peyton and I guarantee he'll say he needed to play better in the Super Bowl.  If a guy just deflects criticism to his team like JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf or even what reports have been saying about Blaine Gabbert, I could see how it could be negative.  But Peyton owns up to his mistakes

But he doesn't give himself a free pass.  Ask Peyton and I guarantee he'll say he needed to play better in the Super Bowl.  If a guy just deflects criticism to his team like JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf or even what reports have been saying about Blaine Gabbert, I could see how it could be negative.  But Peyton owns up to his mistakes

I've seen him occasionally throw teammates under the bus in the past. He's not some flawless entity out there.

I believe this story has been brought up before in other ways. Sometimes it's reported as a positive and sometimes is reported as a tension builder.

Ever see a tom Brady tantrum? At least manning doesn't do that

No he Pouts!

There were stories in Indy about how he Dominated the lockerroom as I have posted here before, (you had to behave like he wanted in the), and the organization as a whole.

Never mind he had a 100 Int.`s his 1st 5 seasons as he played scared (happy feet) in the pocket and pouted constantly.

He beat up the weaklings in the regular season and was a CHUMP in plenty of playoff games. One & dones.

It took him MANY years to learn to throw on the spot accurately. There is no Problem him pushing his guys to learn to read defenses just like he does and run the right routes. But how many receivers come out of college as GOOD route runners, though having several years of practice and games to learn it?

Brazill has 2 years with Luck and look at the Dung job he/they did to start our playoff game.

Hmmm! Reminded me of what? Oh maybe $tat$ and the Hall of Famer Reggie in a SUPER BOWL.

I was surprised he could still CHOKE as bad as he did in this SB, but I know he is getting paid well to Not be Embarrased.