Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Article on NFL.com

Five names listed: Julius Peppers, Demarcus Ware, Chris Johnson, Terrell Suggs, Santonio Holmes.

To answer your question, no, I don't want any of them for the Colts. Between cost, age and projected impact, none of them look to be a good fit for us. I'd love to have Suggs as a rotational Rush/Sam backer, but I'd want to pay him as such -- two years, $5m -- and we all know that's not going to happen. As a matter of fact, he's more likely to renegotiate terms with the Ravens than be released and become a free agent.

I mentioned that the Cowboys were in cap room hell and would have to release some big names to get out of it:

1.Demarcus Ware (Post June 1 cut)

2.Miles Austin (Post June 1 cut)

3.Sean Lee (Post June 1)

Even those released players I dont think will be enough to sign there draft picks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000324592/article/five-big-names-who-could-end-up-salarycap-casualties

basically looking at the most probable cap casualties, some very interesting intriguing big names on this list, anyone you want us to look at?

I'd like to see Suggs here. Pagano must know him well, and could fit in our system easily.

Reality of this happening is an other question. Wonder what money he'd ask for. We should spend our free cap very carefully!

The others...I think they are past their primes.

I mentioned that the Cowboys were in cap room hell and would have to release some big names to get out of it:

3.Sean Lee (Post June 1)

Even those released players I dont think will be enough to sign there draft picks

Sean Lee just signed a six year extension this past August just before the season started, no chance he is getting cut

3.Sean Lee (Post June 1)

I feel entirely comfortable in saying Sean Lee has a 0% chance of getting cut

'

Cutting Miles Austin only saves them like $.5MM, tho it will still happen. They'll have to cut Ware and re-structure Romo.

They might have to try and trade some guys as well. 

I think all of these guys except for maybe Chris Johnson are on the wrong side of 30.  Even with Chris Johnson you have to remember that RB's age faster then any other players and are pretty much done at age 30.

I have a feeling they will want more money then they are worth.  

For a small deal with a short term contract then yeah we could probably find a spot for any of them.  But they will be chasing the $$$ and some dumb team will give them big $$$ and get marginal production.

Five names listed: Julius Peppers, Demarcus Ware, Chris Johnson, Terrell Suggs, Santonio Holmes.

To answer your question, no, I don't want any of them for the Colts. Between cost, age and projected impact, none of them look to be a good fit for us. I'd love to have Suggs as a rotational Rush/Sam backer, but I'd want to pay him as such -- two years, $5m -- and we all know that's not going to happen. As a matter of fact, he's more likely to renegotiate terms with the Ravens than be released and become a free agent.

could you imagine suggs paired with mathis if we fixed our defensive front??..... yikes man that would make the opposing qb pretty nervous :)

Didn't know they resigned him...It seems Over The Cap is reliable

Yeah they're pretty reliable. Might have some smaller, less reported contracts that are off a little, but for the most part, they have it right. I especially like that they allow you to edit contracts, restructure, extend, release, release post June 1, they give you the RFA and ERFA tenders, etc. Really good resource.

As for the Cowboys, they are all over the place. They need to make a dozen cuts/restructures before the league year ends. It's crazy to think that they've mortgaged themselves so heavily, and have come nowhere near a Super Bowl. The Seahawks have something to show for their cap situation, same but to a lesser extent with the Broncos, Pats, etc. Not the Cowboys.

Grantland had a good article about how bad the Cowboys cap situation was earlier in the year, I think Barnwell wrote it around the time of the trade deadline. As for cap casualties, I don't really see anyone out there that could help the Colts. The one that would intrigue me though was Chris Johnson. If the Colts could get him at the right price I think he brings a dimension to the offense that Ballard and Richardson don't. Richardson, Johnson and Ballard would have the potential to be one of the best backfields in the league. Call me the village *, but I'm not ready to give up on Richardson just yet.

Grantland had a good article about how bad the Cowboys cap situation was earlier in the year, I think Barnwell wrote it around the time of the trade deadline. As for cap casualties, I don't really see anyone out there that could help the Colts. The one that would intrigue me though was Chris Johnson. If the Colts could get him at the right price I think he brings a dimension to the offense that Ballard and Richardson don't. Richardson, Johnson and Ballard would have the potential to be one of the best backfields in the league. Call me the village *, but I'm not ready to give up on Richardson just yet.

I'm with you, but Johnson will likely be chasing bigger dollars then he's worth.  

I'm with you, but Johnson will likely be chasing bigger dollars then he's worth.  

I think you're probably right, I just don't know if there is any team out there that will be willing to hand him a big payday at this point. I could see him landing somewhere on a one year "Prove It" deal, seeing as how he will still receive checks from the Titans next year if he is released. 

I think you're probably right, I just don't know if there is any team out there that will be willing to hand him a big payday at this point. I could see him landing somewhere on a one year "Prove It" deal, seeing as how he will still receive checks from the Titans next year if he is released. 

Nah he will get a longer term deal someplace.

The reason the Titans want to cut him is because right before they negotiated Johnson's new contract he rushed for over 2000 yards.  

So he was paid as though he is an elite running back.

The problem is that since then he's been a good running back, but not an elite running back.  

He's still a good RB and I don't think he'll have to settle for a prove it deal.  But he likely won't be making as much money as he was.