Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is cuttable?

backshoulderfade

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping the surgery fixes things for Toler, but I am not confident. To be honest, I don't really see them cutting Satele either. Guess I would be too ruthless as a GM.

You don't make the team better by cutting guys unless you're replacing them with someone better.  I'm all for cutting Satele if it saves us money because he's easy to replace.

Who do you propose replacing Toler with, taking in to account his cap hit and how much you'll spend to sign someone else? 

Who should we cut or who can be cut for a cap savings?

This page should help.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Colts&Year=2014

I would cut Satele and Toler at this point.  There are too many good CB's out there in FA and Toler has so little guaranteed money and too big of a salary to warrant keeping him.  

I don't think Toler will get cut, I just think we should.  Satele I think will be cut.  He sucks and counts for too much against the cap.

You don't make the team better by cutting guys unless you're replacing them with someone better.  I'm all for cutting Satele if it saves us money because he's easy to replace.

Who do you propose replacing Toler with, taking in to account his cap hit and how much you'll spend to sign someone else? 

There are lots of free agent CB's on the market who are good enough to start.  

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014CB.php

Toler counts for 4.8 million against the cap and we can save 4.2 million by cutting him.  

He has an injury history before us and spent the vast majority of the season injured to the point that we would have been better off putting him on IR.  

And I didn't see anything from in him that made me think he's worth 4.2 million even while on the field.  The only memorable play he ever made with us was during pre-season.  

Anything is better if you can get 16 games out of them. Without naming a specific replacement, I don't think 9 games really warrants 4m a season for a corner back. Especially bearing in mind that he has played less and less every season.

Toler counts for 4.8 million against the cap and we can save 4.2 million by cutting him.  

He has an injury history before us and spent the vast majority of the season injured to the point that we would have been better off putting him on IR.  

And I didn't see anything from in him that made me think he's worth 4.2 million even while on the field.  The only memorable play he ever made with us was during pre-season.  

The Problem isn't getting another CB, it would be having to get 2 CBs. Vontae is an FA as is Gordy. We can not afford to keep Vontae AND give big money to another FA CB. That is why everyone grasping at us cutting Toler are going to be greatly disappointed. It just won't happen.

That list gets pretty thin when you really look at it.  Forget the 30+ guys.  How many are going to be cheaper than Toler, considering the good ones on the list and the number of bidders?

I really think it depends on how Toler recovers from surgery.  We need a S a lot more than a CB.  And if we're going to overpay a FA, it better be a Center.

You can make a case for cutting both Satele and Toler. They would represent an 8.3 million cap savings if released.

And how much will their replacements be?  We need a GOOD Center, I'm all for spending that money there.

Look at that list Valpo put up.  Tell me how many of the good ones are going to sign for less than we're paying Toler?

Anything is better if you can get 16 games out of them. Without naming a specific replacement, I don't think 9 games really warrants 4m a season for a corner back. Especially bearing in mind that he has played less and less every season.

Also I'm curious as to how many snaps he played in those 9 games.  He tried to come back several times from injury just to exit early again.  How many games was he still on the field at the start of the 4th quarter?

And how much will their replacements be?  We need a GOOD Center, I'm all for spending that money there.

Look at that list Valpo put up.  Tell me how many of the good ones are going to sign for less than we're paying Toler?

If they sign for 1 or 2 million more it wouldn't be a big deal as long as they stay on the field and play well.

If they sign for 1 or 2 million more it wouldn't be a big deal as long as they stay on the field and play well.

Again, where are we going to get that money, what position are we going to skimp on to afford it. Also, what happens if we lose Vontae and Toler. That would be losing 4 Cbs in one year, we would basically just have Butler and a bunch of scrubs.

Again, where are we going to get that money, what position are we going to skimp on to afford it. Also, what happens if we lose Vontae and Toler. That would be losing 4 Cbs in one year, we would basically just have Butler and a bunch of scrubs.

I think they franchise Vontae at worst if he won't sign.

Most of that money comes from the salary we WERE paying Toler.

Re-sign Davis, but then go out there and find a different CB in FA and cut Toler.  Say we pay someone like Shields 6 million.  Only 2 million of that is taken out of our free cap space because we where paying Toler 4 million.

At the very least I hope they draft a CB in the 2nd round and keep Toler.  And then when Toler inevitably goes down with an injury in the 3rd game of the season the rookie can come in, play at least as well as Toler and keep him on the field.

You mention Gordy a lot.  He's not gonna get paid much, his salary isn't even worth mentioning in this discussion.  

Re-sign Davis, but then go out there and find a different CB in FA and cut Toler.  Say we pay someone like Shields 6 million.  Only 2 million of that is taken out of our free cap space because we where paying Toler 4 million.

At the very least I hope they draft a CB in the 2nd round and keep Toler.  And then when Toler inevitably goes down with an injury in the 3rd game of the season the rookie can come in, play at least as well as Toler and keep him on the field.

You mention Gordy a lot.  He's not gonna get paid much, his salary isn't even worth mentioning in this discussion.  

Thanks for the explaination. I'm no cap expert, but if we can basically upgrade the CB position for 2 mil, I think it'd be worth it.

So, let's say we do lose Vontae, and keep Toler. Given Toler's injury history, he is likely to be injured. What does that leave us with? It's basically the same situation as you mentioned. We are left with Butler, and the scrubs. I'm all for bringing in another CB.

Who should we cut or who can be cut for a cap savings?

This page should help.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Colts&Year=2014

I would cut Satele and Toler at this point.  There are too many good CB's out there in FA and Toler has so little guaranteed money and too big of a salary to warrant keeping him.  

I don't think Toler will get cut, I just think we should.  Satele I think will be cut.  He sucks and counts for too much against the cap.

That and he was injured half the season also he is going to have surgery and we don't know how good he will recover from that so ya I think I would cut him too he is good when healthy but that's the problem when he is healthy.

Based on other Contracts, I would guess Davis will demand 8-9.5 M. Then your saying sign another Corner for $6M. Add in Butler at $2.5M and our CB Depth after that would be Sheldon Price and Marcus Burley.

With the other holes that we have to fill I just don't see the point in spending the extra 2M on another corner. Especially when seeing that we will need a new FS, ILB, and DL help.

None. The answer is none.

I don't see the Colts releasing Toler this offseason, sorry to let all these zealots down. He's having surgery, and I think they'll wait to see what he looks like after his operation. If he's moving well and able to participate in OTAs, then he'll be at training camp. The only way we cut Toler is if he bombs at camp.

I am so glad this forum doesn't run this team. It's very clear people would make personal decisions based only on if they like a guy or not.

No problem.  You just cut Toler and Vontea and pick up a couple pro bowl caliber CBs.  Then pay them less money than you'd pay the guys you cut.  Also, sign Fitzgerald for vet min and maybe give Maclin a couple million.

This is easier than playing Madden.  I don't know why all the teams don't do this.

I like Toler, but don't the cap savings make cutting him at least potentially feasible? It's not as silly as expecting us to cut Landry or Richardson, right?

It's easy to cut Toler, not a very big cap penalty. But the myth is growing that he's way overpaid and that he's not worth the money. If he's not playing, no, he's not worth the money. But we can cut him the day before the regular season starts and save that money. Right now, we have him under control, he has a reasonable contract moving forward, and he's an asset to our team. The sensible way to proceed is to add some depth and competition at CB, and see what Toler does in camp and preseason. If he looks good, you keep him, but you've added an insurance policy in case he gets hurt. If he doesn't look good, then he doesn't make the final 53, and we still get the cap savings.

If we were projected to be tight against the cap, I might have a different attitude regarding Toler. But we're not. We have plenty of cap flexibility even if we keep him. We can still do all the things we need/want to do as a team.

It's easy to cut Toler, not a very big cap penalty. But the myth is growing that he's way overpaid and that he's not worth the money. If he's not playing, no, he's not worth the money. But we can cut him the day before the regular season starts and save that money. Right now, we have him under control, he has a reasonable contract moving forward, and he's an asset to our team. The sensible way to proceed is to add some depth and competition at CB, and see what Toler does in camp and preseason. If he looks good, you keep him, but you've added an insurance policy in case he gets hurt. If he doesn't look good, then he doesn't make the final 53, and we still get the cap savings.

If we were projected to be tight against the cap, I might have a different attitude regarding Toler. But we're not. We have plenty of cap flexibility even if we keep him. We can still do all the things we need/want to do as a team.

Our secondary as a unit played much better when he was healthy. He's gonna be a natural target for fans because of his health concerns and the potential cap relief from cutting him.

I'd rather see Satele go, but maybe he's serviceable as a veteran who knows the line calls if we can improve the situation at guard.