Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coyer Failures ... In His Own Words

Fatboyslim11

Interesting article in Sunday's on-line edition of the Indy Star with Larry Coyer. Link below:

http://www.indystar.com/section/SPORTS03/Colts

The article discusses the Colts defensive secondary woes and has several telling coments by Colts Defensive Coordinator Larry Coyer. He is master of the obvious - we are young, missed assignmentS, victims of bad luck, etc. What he doesn't say is what is his plan to overcome the defensive woes.

For me, it goes to show that, like the head coach, Coyer is out of his league as the DC coordinator. I see why he was canned in Denver and I hope he enjoys his remaining time as our DC because this is probably the last we will see of him in the NFL.

Wow he says our secondary is only two feet away from making plays on the ball and that they need to play quicker yet he still continues to have them play 10-15 yards off of receivers. :facepalm:

At this rate and Caldwells theory of 6 inches at a time, we should be ready to challenge the 85 Bears defense in only 4 more years :sadno:

I find it amusing that when the national media is discussing the Colts woes, strangely absent is any mention of of the defensive scheme and little mention of our poor play on defense. Its like they all have tunnel vision and can't see past Manning/Painter.

EDIT: Just saw Charlie Casserly on CBS discussing the Colts briefly. He made a few statements; "The Colts will take Luck if given the chance"....and..."Caldwell is back next year, no question". Again, no mention of Coyer.

Edited by ruksak

I find it amusing that when the national media is discussing the Colts woes, strangely absent is any mention of of the defensive scheme and little mention of our poor play on defense. Its like they all have tunnel vision and can't see past Manning/Painter.

EDIT: Just saw Charlie Casserly on CBS discussing the Colts briefly. He made a few statements; "The Colts will take Luck if given the chance"....and..."Caldwell is back next year, no question". Again, no mention of Coyer.

I saw that as well. Man I hope hes wrong but Im not sure how much attention is being paid to our team by people like him. Other than watching some highlights..I dont see how you can actually watch our games and come to those conclusions without mentioning other key points.

If Caldwell is back next year...man, I don't even know....

If Caldwell is back next year...man, I don't even know....

I would be very disappointed although I have been a Colts fan far to long to change. I pray that Irsay and company can't see how incompetent Caldwell is, I fear will be a 2-3 team at best as long as Caldwell is here. I hope Polian isn't so stubborn and dumb that he would keep Caldwell as HC just to try to prove a point to the "pundits" and "outsiders".

Polian hires Caldwell to Coach team.

Polian and Caldwell hire Coyer to run outdated Tampa-2 defensive scheme.

Polian and Caldwell provide Coyer with rookie FA's and late round draft picks to run outdated Tampa-2 scheme.

Polian, Caldwell and fans blame Coyer for defensive shortcomings.

Douzer shakes head in disbelief.

I'm sure we can all agree that when Meeks was the DC we had an excellent pass defense. Hey, we even broke records. Yet, there were several "Fire Meeks" threads. Why isn't that I do not see the same outcry to fire Coyer? Yeah, there are some posts, but where are the threads?