Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Late round; high potential players.

Guest TeamLoloJones

What are you're thoughts on the other Louisville safety Calvin Pryor? He just declared and is looking like a 3rd-4th round guy. I haven't seen much on him.

Vastly overrated.  Hakeem Smith is the real talent.  

Wide Receivers

1.Jeff Janis WR Saginaw Valley 6'3" 218lbs deep speed, very good hands

2.Alex Neutz WR University Buffalo 6'3 205lbs 31 TD catches with missing 4 in his career

3.Martavis Bryant WR Junior Clemson 6'5" 200lbs deep speed 58 receptions at Clemson for 1326 yards 11 TD's 9 games missed

4.Marcus Lucas Senior 6'5 220lbs 127 career catches 10 games missed

5.Eric Ward 5'11" 205 Texas Tech Red Raiders, dependable hands decent route runner, Good slot wr option. maybe as a Returner as well 

6.Kevin Norwood 6'1" 195lbs Alabama

7.Chris Boyd 6'4" 205lbs Vanderbilt

8.Je'Ron Hamm WR Louisiana Monroe 111 catches 1587 yards 10 TD's

9.Quintin Payton Senior WR North Carolina State career 85 catches 1424 yards 5 TD's 15 games missed

Thats what I got at WR, Will add more later at other positions

Wide Receivers

4.Marcus Lucas Senior 6'5 220lbs 127 career catches 10 games missed

What's this guys story? I just looked and he's projected to go undrafted. He has great size and was fairly productive in college. NFLdraftscout has him running somewhere around a 4.5. 

What's this guys story? I just looked and he's projected to go undrafted. He has great size and was fairly productive in college. NFLdraftscout has him running somewhere around a 4.5. 

Thats what Im trying to figure out, many of those wr's I listed are talented enough in one way or another to make an impact with our team, Some of them it has to do with small schools such as Janis but he has alot of talent

Guest TeamLoloJones

Thats what Im trying to figure out, many of those wr's I listed are talented enough in one way or another to make an impact with our team, Some of them it has to do with small schools such as Janis but he has alot of talent

Another guy that's not getting any love is TJ Jones from Notre Dame.  He could make a solid possession receiver and he could go undrafted.

Nose Tackles

1.Deandre Coleman Senior California 6'5" 315LBS

2.Zack Kerr Senior Delaware NT 6'1 322lbs

3.Beau Allen NT 6'3" 325LBS Wisconsin

4.Donte Rumph NT 6'3" 320lbs Kentucky

5.Chris Davenport NT Tulane 6'3 330lbs

6.Justin Ellis NT Louisiana Tech 6'2" 357lbs

Nose Tackles

1.Deandre Coleman Senior California 6'5" 315LBS

2.Zack Kerr Senior Delaware NT 6'1 322lbs

3.Beau Allen NT 6'3" 325LBS Wisconsin

4.Donte Rumph NT 6'3" 320lbs Kentucky

5.Chris Davenport NT Tulane 6'3 330lbs

6.Justin Ellis NT Louisiana Tech 6'2" 357lbs

Justin Ellis is awesome huge fan of his 

Dri Archer is a game breaker in the mould of De'Anthony Thomas and Tavon Austin.

IMHO he would be better at WR in the NFL because of his lack of size. Although he maybe slightly vertically challenged, he has 4.2 speed and the vision to utilise it on returns, screens and deep routes.

To me he is a boom or bust prospect rather like Tavon Austin depending on the system he ends up in. I would pick him up simply for his return prowess. If you haven't seen him return a kick, YouTube it, it's really something to behold.

If he can be put into a scheme that involves a high amount of screens and pick routes or end arounds, like our system or the Eagles, even the Saints and KC, I think he can make an impact as a runner in space on offense with his speed and acceleration.

I would put his value FOR US at around 5th-6th round only because of his current limitations and our current WR stable.

Dri Archer is a game breaker in the mould of De'Anthony Thomas and Tavon Austin.

IMHO he would be better at WR in the NFL because of his lack of size. Although he maybe slightly vertically challenged, he has 4.2 speed and the vision to utilise it on returns, screens and deep routes.

To me he is a boom or bust prospect rather like Tavon Austin depending on the system he ends up in. I would pick him up simply for his return prowess. If you haven't seen him return a kick, YouTube it, it's really something to behold.

If he can be put into a scheme that involves a high amount of screens and pick routes or end arounds, like our system or the Eagles, even the Saints and KC, I think he can make an impact as a runner in space on offense with his speed and acceleration.

I would put his value FOR US at around 5th-6th round only because of his current limitations and our current WR stable.

are we going to compare every slotback to tavon austin now?

DAT and Dri dont even come close 

Tavon was so much more polished. 

are we going to compare every slotback to tavon austin now?

DAT and Dri dont even come close 

Tavon was so much more polished.

I'm not comparing him to Austin, I'm just saying that in my eyes they are the same sort of prospect. Either they will adjust or they won't. But you have to admit that because of the raw abilities that DAT, Dri and Tavon all have, they are similar prospects.

Some folks to keep an eye on:

1. Ted Bolser, TE, Indiana: Listed at 6’6” and 254 pounds, Ted Bolser has NFL tight end size to go along with his solid hands. 27 of his 41 receptions last season were either first downs or touchdowns.

2. Eric Ward, WR, Texas Tech: Listed at 5'11', 205 lbs, and 4.4-4.5 40 time, he is the definition of a chain mover. Very consistent and very good hands.

3. Mason Walters, OT/OG, Texas: 6'5", 320, can play all positions on O-line

4. DeAndre Coleman, DT/DE, California: 6'5", 315, has played in both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments, his role was just to absorb tackles in the 4-3 this year, hence his numbers are down

5. Sean Parker, S, Washington: 5'10", 195, 4.5 speed, hybrid safety that can play SS and FS

Some folks to keep an eye on:

1. Ted Bolser, TE, Indiana: Listed at 6’6” and 254 pounds, Ted Bolser has NFL tight end size to go along with his solid hands. 27 of his 41 receptions last season were either first downs or touchdowns.

2. Eric Ward, WR, Texas Tech: Listed at 5'11', 205 lbs, and 4.4-4.5 40 time, he is the definition of a chain mover. Very consistent and very good hands.

3. Mason Walters, OT/OG, Texas: 6'5", 320, can play all positions on O-line

4. DeAndre Coleman, DT/DE, California: 6'5", 315, has played in both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments, his role was just to absorb tackles in the 4-3 this year, hence his numbers are down

5. Sean Parker, S, Washington: 5'10", 195, 4.5 speed, hybrid safety that can play SS and FS

Agreed on Coleman. Not familiar with the others, will look them up. 

I'll give you a few from the school I know all too well....   There is lots and lots of serious NFL talent on Stanford's roster right now.   And not just for the 2014 draft.   But for the 2015 draft as well.    The names I'm throwing out are only the guys you likely have never heard of.    I won't talk about the guys you know (Yankey, Murphy, Skov, Reynolds)  unless somebody asks me about them.

We'll start with some Free Agents who might pay off...

LB Jarek Lancaster...   DING!   Deep Sleeper Alert!   When Shayne Skov blew up his knee early in 2011, Lancaster replaced him.  Started the next 9 games and led the entire defense in tackles.   Skov came back in 2012, and Lancaster has been his back-up ever since.   Lancaster would start and star on probably more than half of the D1 schools and would get drafted.   But because he's mostly been a back-up,  he'll be a FA.   Really, really hope we sign him.  

OG  Kevin Danser...     two-year starter, made all conference this year.  6'6", 305.   I'd be interested only from the stand-point that big men -- especially offensive lineman -- often get better, sometimes much better,  after college.   Might be worth a flier.

DE   Ben Gardner...     3-year starter, captain,  Leader.  Popular with teammates.   Would've been a late draft choice, but due to injury and surgery he may not get drafted.   Suffered a torn pectoral muscle.   Probably too small.  6'4", 275.   He's put on 35 pounds since coming to Stanford.   May not have room to grow any more.   Not athletic enough to lose weight and be an OLB.    Probably a better 4-3 LDE.

FB    Ryan Hewitt...    2-year starter...  moved from tight end to FB.  just under 6'4" and 245.   Good lead fullback.  Can catch a pass and pass protect.    Can gain a yard on 3rd and 1.    Depends on how much you need a FB.   Havili is much better.

DB/CB    Darren Carrington...   6'1", 200.   Decent at safety, less decent but serviceable at Corner in a pinch.  Plays when someone needs rest or when Stanford goes to 6 DB's.    Can also play ST.

CB....     Usua Amanam...     listed at 5'10, 185.   That size might be generous.   Stanford's nickel corner.  Small but feisty.  Fearless.     Surprisingly physical for small size.   Clutch.   Made game clinching interception against Wisconsin in 2013 Rose Bowl.   More quick and agressive than athletic.   Can blitz effectively off the corner.   Can cover slot receivers.   Not very good long speed.     Good special teams as well.   You'll see plenty of him in Rose Bowl.

Possible draft choices:

RB...  Tyler Gaffney...  I wouldn't go higher than a 6 or 7 for him.   Doesn't have NFL speed or wiggle or ability to make defenders miss.   A bigger Stephan Taylor who hasn't played much for Arizona this year.  Probably 6'0", 220.  Talented college back, just not sure his game translates to the NFL.

DE/DT....    Josh Mauro...   ***DING-DING!!***    Another sleeper, just not as deep as Lancaster.  The NFL knows about him. Here's someone who could turn into a much better player than his eventual draft spot might indicate.   6'6", 290.    A raging bull.  Tough.   Physical.   Can play the run and rush the QB.   Can play anywhere along the DL.   He was Stanford's 4th DL in a 3-4 front, so he's played a fair amount.  But started almost the entire 2013 season due to various injuries on the DL during the year.    Like Lancaster,  he hasn't played that much but only because there were better players ahead of him.   He'd start and star on 60-80% of the rest of college football teams. He fits the 3-4 we play.    I hope we can land him in the 5th round if we don't take a DL in the 2nd or 3rd R.   For a player who only started one season,  he's played a fair amount of football, but his best ball is likely still in front of him.

Note:   I know some of you roll your eyes when I write about Stanford.   Fair enough.   But remember this...  when I arrived last year there were lots of Colts fans who wanted to draft Stephan Taylor and Chase Thomas.    And they were ready to use 2nd and 3rd round draft picks to do it.    It was me who,  long before the combine,  said the Colts should not draft them higher than the 5th round and I'd prefer lower than that.   That their game might not translate to the NFL.   What happened?   Taylor was drafted in the 5th round and didn't play much.   Thomas wasn't drafted at all, was signed by N.O. and cut by them, and then signed by Oakland where I think he might be on the practice squad.    I hope that earned me some credibility.    I may love Stanford, but I won't encourage the Colts to spend a higher pick on a player if I don't think they're worth it, or can't help us.

Lots of talent coming to the NFL this...   and next...  and probably for years more to come.....

Just sayin.......

Mauro and Gardner are my top two out of that bunch,

Danser I think is decent in pass protection but unathletic and struggles to get to the 2nd level, Doesn't seem to be a real mauler either

I also agree on what you say about Gaffney

DE/DT....    Josh Mauro...   ***DING-DING!!***    Another sleeper, just not as deep as Lancaster.  The NFL knows about him. Here's someone who could turn into a much better player than his eventual draft spot might indicate.   6'6", 290.    A raging bull.  Tough.   Physical.   Can play the run and rush the QB.   Can play anywhere along the DL.   He was Stanford's 4th DL in a 3-4 front, so he's played a fair amount.  But started almost the entire 2013 season due to various injuries on the DL during the year.    Like Lancaster,  he hasn't played that much but only because there were better players ahead of him.   He'd start and star on 60-80% of the rest of college football teams. He fits the 3-4 we play.    I hope we can land him in the 5th round if we don't take a DL in the 2nd or 3rd R.   For a player who only started one season,  he's played a fair amount of football, but his best ball is likely still in front of him.

I'm excited.

I think Josh Mauro could end up being our version of jj watt. He's someone I've been watching. Definitely has potential! If the Colts go after him I think we would have to get him with our 2nd Rd pick, if he lasts that long.

I honestly don't believe he will be there for our 3rd Rd pick.

• 2 weeks later...

One late add announced today from Stanford.

Cam Fleming, a 3-year starter at RT, is coming out bypassing his optional 5th year.

Fleming is big,  6'5" and nearly 320.

But I don't think he's got the feet for tackle.   So, I could see him moving inside to guard.   If he had come back for another year there was talk Fleming was likely going to have to move inside to make room for a junior tackle who is simply ready to play and would beat him out.

Fleming might be a very good late round 6/7 pick, and possibly even a FA,  I'm not sure yet.    I'll have to wait until his Pro Day to see how he does.

Just someone to track as possible late round pick at guard,  something that I anticipate us possibly doing......

I'm down with Mauro. If the Colts could get him at the end of round 5, I'd be thrilled.