Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

According To The Nfl We Are Not The Worse Defense In The Afc

dn4192

Reviewing of the stats from the NFL.com website, while the Colts have surrendered the most points this season, overall we are not the worse defense in the AFC, and I was kinda suprised as to whom is listed below us. Both teams have winning records and one is considered an elite team in the NFL this season...

Reviewing of the stats from the NFL.com website, while the Colts have surrendered the most points this season, overall we are not the worse defense in the AFC, and I was kinda suprised as to whom is listed below us. Both teams have winning records and one is considered an elite team in the NFL this season...

Well great, that is encouraging. Our problems are solved.

LOL I hate the way they do that total yards shouldn't matter that much. Truth is Pats are tied for 15th for Points allowed (points per game avg that is)and THAT is truly the only stat that matters. (And as you said the Colts are dead last in that catagory avg 32 points a game.)

remedy,

seems like the colts lost their heart when Manning wasnt able to play. The HOLE team looks lost and dishearted, which IMO is the coaches fault.

Just wondering, these are paid professional athletes, if the problem is they are not being "motivated" by their coaches I would have to ask what kind of athletes do we have? Shouldn't self pride be involved? I mean really these guys know how to execute, if they are not doing it, then isn't it on them and not the coaches?

Just wondering, these are paid professional athletes, if the problem is they are not being "motivated" by their coaches I would have to ask what kind of athletes do we have? Shouldn't self pride be involved? I mean really these guys know how to execute, if they are not doing it, then isn't it on them and not the coaches?

Athletes selected by your hero, Bill Polian

True and ultimately it is the players fault, but losing a HUGE key player up to the coaches to keep their spirits up and more importantly putting them in a position to win.

I have a question about Coyer and the defense that I will put here since I cannot start my own thread.

1. Did Coyer have a history of running the Tampa 2 before coming to Indy? If not, could this be part of the problem we have with the defense not understanding the fundamentals not beinga able to make the proper adjustments

2. Did Dungy play more of a role than we realized in working with the defense and teaching fundamentals. Did we make a mistake in hiring an offensive head coach as opposed to a defensive minded head since the offense was basically on Peyton until this year?

Give it up man.

Why...because Joe Colt fan refuses to accept what is fact? That Colt fan is having knee jerk reaction to a situation that can't be solved overnight and will actually take some time and is in the hands of man with a track record of putting together winning football franchises no matter how it is they won?

Why...because Joe Colt fan refuses to accept what is fact? That Colt fan is having knee jerk reaction to a situation that can't be solved overnight and will actually take some time and is in the hands of man with a track record of putting together winning football franchises no matter how it is they won?

Because u keep saying the same stuff 15 times in every thread and it's not changing the way colts fans feel.

Overall the Pats have the lowest rated D in the AFC with the Bills next then the Colts.

I hope brady hangs 90 on us so you will just stop with these useless stats that mean nothing. yards are nothing, points are everything. we are dead last.

Edited by Phil J

Means nothing. The Pats, for instance is better than us in every meaningful way such as winning, player personnel, management and coaching. The old adage is that stats can be made to reflect any point of view is in play here, As Mark Twain said "there are lies, darn lies and statistics".

Okay what is an acceptable points allowed per game number?

It used to be 17 points and you win figuring the offense will score 21 pts.

With the new passing rules and all....it went up to 21pts. and score 24pts.

redzone defense and offense and turnovers are key to good teams. Check those stats out and you'll be on the right track.

I doubt this was surprising.. this is a bad year for defenses i think but the colts defense are just non existent

yeah you can probably throw everything out this year as passing has been insane.

Indy has given up 31 pts a game at dead last. NE 22 pts (15th) and the Ravens 13 pts(1st)

The real stat to find is redzone defense. Particularly giving up FGs vs TDs. If you're giving up 3 pts or less when the opponent is in the redzone then you're doing real well and is a key to winning. That and what your scoring is in the redzone, 3pts or TDs, And then add in turnover ratio:)

yeah you can probably throw everything out this year as passing has been insane.

Indy has given up 31 pts a game at dead last. NE 22 pts (15th) and the Ravens 13 pts(1st)

The real stat to find is redzone defense. Particularly giving up FGs vs TDs. If you're giving up 3 pts or less when the opponent is in the redzone then you're doing real well and is a key to winning. That and what your scoring is in the redzone, 3pts or TDs, And then add in turnover ratio:)

The colts use to be one of the best in bend but dont break but idk what happened, one season they use to be one of the stingiest defense in the league and now they can even get off the field, ive never seen anything like it. the players have to be feeling embarrassed, i mean for so long they have been on the top and look at how bad they are now, its almost unbelievable.

The colts use to be one of the best in bend but dont break but idk what happened, one season they use to be one of the stingiest defense in the league and now they can even get off the field, ive never seen anything like it. the players have to be feeling embarrassed, i mean for so long they have been on the top and look at how bad they are now, its almost unbelievable.

Well if memory serves me yes they often only gave up the FG in the redzone. I know that's true with the Jags everytime and I knew they'd lose the game when they couldn't score the TD. lol. Thats a huge stat.

I guess the redzone defense wasn't so hot this last Sun night:)

Well if memory serves me yes they often only gave up the FG in the redzone. I know that's true with the Jags everytime and I knew they'd lose the game when they couldn't score the TD. lol. Thats a huge stat.

I guess the redzone defense wasn't so hot this last Sun night:)

They were beyond freezing point, i never thought i would say this but i am definitely ready for the offseason.... if no changes are made, and i doubt that will happen it would be hard for me to swallow i can say that.

It's funny that people here are saying, "yards per game doesn't matter, it's all about points per game."

Yet when the Colts were in the top 10 for fewest points per game allowed for a number of years, people complained that we gave up too many yards and too many long drives.

yes I remember. I think many fans were less informed back then. You gave up a ton of yards, won ball games and fans still complained.

Perhaps NE this season so far has educated some in the fact they're 5-1 with a ton of yards given up.

That had nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with, "we think we can take it from here."

How have those two franchises fared since? I thought so...

I'm not denying his ability but do you REALLY think they let him go because they they could "take it from here"?? Wow.

LOL I hate the way they do that total yards shouldn't matter that much. Truth is Pats are tied for 15th for Points allowed (points per game avg that is)and THAT is truly the only stat that matters. (And as you said the Colts are dead last in that catagory avg 32 points a game.)

I don't think even ppg tells the true story. I have long said that the single most important defensive stat is a stat that nobody keeps: points per posssession. In my opinion, a defense that gives up a touchdown every possession after an 8-minute drive is not all that much better than a defense that gives up a touchdown every possession after three or four plays, but the first defense will have much lower ppg than the second because the drives take longer. Fewer possessions, lower scoring game, but if you're giving up a TD every possession, you still suck as a defense. What is really important is on an average possession, how often do you give up a TD, how often do you give up a FG, and how often do you allow no score. If your ppp is under 3, you're doing a pretty darn good job as a defense. If it's getting up into the 5 range, that's not good.

Couldn't edit my post to insert a word I left out of it so re-posting. Looks like the edit option disappears after awhile.

I have had similar problems trying to edit posts. When I try to save the edits, I usually get an error message and it won't change the post.