Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Single-season TD pass record questions

oldunclemark

Posted · Hidden by Superman, December 19, 2013 - inflammatory, off topic
Hidden by Superman, December 19, 2013 - inflammatory, off topic

No. Because the 2007 season was about more than just passing/offensive records which is what I have been saying all along. The TD record, points record, etc were all side notes to the undefeated season until the SB. It is this fact that puts it on a pedestal all its own. If it was just about winning the SB then SI would not have named that team the best of the 2000 decade - above every other team that won the SB that decade. And I think when you look at Manning's season it will be hard to forget that he was not able to beat a decimated Pats team with a 24 point lead at half. That is a huge blemish IMO.

Comedy starts in the morning today

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never mind a QB throwing a1-yard TD pass because a lot of teams (like Denver) are set up that way.

If your QB is a runner..like Cam ....you don't need to throw 1-yard TDs.

..The Passer rating includes yards per attempt and not yards per completion>

Why?

Yards per completion is the more telling stat. 

Some incompletions are intentional throwaways

I dont think overall TDs can be factored into the greatest QB season unless its the QB who runs for them like Andrew Luck does.

My memory of  Marino in 1984 and Brady in 2007 is the same feeling....They just couldn't be stopped from the opening kick.

Marino threw the ball downfield so much./.14 yards per completion,,,,5,084 yards....years before 5,000 was done again and they were 14-2..Brady was 4,806 in pards and 12.8 per ciompletion but his team was 16-0

The feeling Manning gives you is that he figures you out as the game goes on...

Denver has trailed a lot this season and they mount passing rallies.

Marino's numbers slipped (relatively speaking) as he got into his 30s..

Brady and Manning's have obviously increased dramatically after age 30.

The encouraging thing about Peyton Manning is that he appears to be getting better with Denver than he was at the end in Indy and with the age of his receivers (other than Wes) and his O-line  it is very possible, barring injury, he will do as well or better in 2014.

Because if you don't complete many passes then you're Yards per completion is very inflated. Yards per attempts is meant to measure efficiency from every QB throw. 

Interesting that no one brings up the fact that the Patriots had to play with the pressure of an undefeated season (the thing that the Colts were so terrified of that they threw away their chance at it...as if they believed that certain players on their team couldn't handle it).

:facepalm:

Are you competing with JerodMayo for most number of lines in a post?.

yes . . . I sometimes get going and cant stop . . . I find it easier to flow write then spent time going back and trying to shorten things. ..  and I do appreciate those who take the time to read what I write . . . on rare occasions I try to have a summary to start for those who just want bullets points . . . this was the first time I put down these thoughts together so have not shortened, which I would do for other posts or forums . . .

Because if you don't complete many passes then you're Yards per completion is very inflated. Yards per attempts is meant to measure efficiency from every QB throw. 

yes but yards per attempt is not in of itself a measure of efficiency either . . . if I thought a WR screen that goes for 5 yards, I am not less efficient if I those a wheel route to a WR that goes for 15 yards . . . YPA is extremely overrated . . .

yes . . . I sometimes get going and cant stop . . . I find it easier to flow write then spent time going back and trying to shorten things. ..  and I do appreciate those who take the time to read what I write . . . on rare occasions I try to have a summary to start for those who just want bullets points . . . this was the first time I put down these thoughts together so have not shortened, which I would do for other posts or forums . . .

I was only pulling your leg my friend, I do enjoy your posts.

Does anyone here think that Aaron Rodgers, with 46 TDs in his 15-1 Packers season, if Matt Flynn had not played in game 17, would not have eclipsed the 50 TD mark? Just asking. Rodgers got 46 TDs in 15 games in 2011, much like Peyton got 49 TDs in 15 games in 2004. So, I expect Peyton to get 50 TDs in 15 games in 2013 :).

Sean Payton, in a blowout game in week 17 in 2011, had Brees throw for 5 TDs, to get to 44 or 45 TDs in 16 games. Maybe he was wanting to showcase Brees for MVP over Rodgers, which is what I suspect.

No. Because the 2007 season was about more than just passing/offensive records which is what I have been saying all along. The TD record, points record, etc were all side notes to the undefeated season until the SB. It is this fact that puts it on a pedestal all its own. If it was just about winning the SB then SI would not have named that team the best of the 2000 decade - above every other team that won the SB that decade. And I think when you look at Manning's season it will be hard to forget that he was not able to beat a decimated Pats team with a 24 point lead at half. That is a huge blemish IMO.

Yes that was that decade.  So you're saying that because they went undefeated in the season that that is the reason why they are better?  So first you talk about SB's being important, so we say what if they win?  Your response is oh no no they set records.  So we say what if they set more records and have already surpassed the 07 pats stats?  Your response is that oh no no, they went undefeated during the season.  You always have a reason that they are better, but the fact is they aren't.  Numbers don't lie.  They statistically are not better than the 13 broncos.  But stats are irrelevant when it comes to arguing your points huh?  Ill remember that the next time you quote stats.  IRRELEVANT!!  Youre just a pats homer, and will never admit that the pats arent the best.  Youre one of those unstable fans arent you?

Yes that was that decade.  So you're saying that because they went undefeated in the season that that is the reason why they are better?  So first you talk about SB's being important, so we say what if they win?  Your response is oh no no they set records.  So we say what if they set more records and have already surpassed the 07 pats stats?  Your response is that oh no no, they went undefeated during the season.  You always have a reason that they are better, but the fact is they aren't.  Numbers don't lie.  They statistically are not better than the 13 broncos.  But stats are irrelevant when it comes to arguing your points huh?  Ill remember that the next time you quote stats.  IRRELEVANT!!  Youre just a pats homer, and will never admit that the pats arent the best.  Youre one of those unstable fans arent you?

I suggest you review my other posts as I have other reasons for why they are the best statistically to the other teams.

I see you have many firm points to AMFootball . . . could you please advise me as to why you made the bolded statement? . . . just curious . . .

Youre just a pats homer, and will never admit that the pats arent the best.  Youre one of those unstable fans arent you?

Are you kidding?.

Most stable person i have met. There is a plan to replace the word "stable" with "amf" in english dictionary.

Not hard to refute at all. The patriots had as many rushing yards as the colts did in 04 and more than the dolphins in 84. Brady also threw the ball 80 more times than Manning did in 04.

And threw fewer interceptions than Manning did in '04. On fewer pass attempts. See how that works both ways?  ;)

If you factor in wins, turnovers, etc... and if you're REALLY being objective... it's hard to put any single season above Brady's 2007. You know I'm not a Manning basher type, that's not my MO here. 

In many ways, what Marino did in 1984 is more impressive than any other single season. But personally I would still give Brady the nod. Just an opinion.

And threw fewer interceptions than Manning did in '04. On fewer pass attempts. See how that works both ways?  ;)

If you factor in wins, turnovers, etc... and if you're REALLY being objective... it's hard to put any single season above Brady's 2007. You know I'm not a Manning basher type, that's not my MO here. 

In many ways, what Marino did in 1984 is more impressive than any other single season. But personally I would still give Brady the nod. Just an opinion.

How surprising that you would give "Brady the nod " when there just is not really anything to separate what those 3 guys did. But I'm sure it's a well thought out unbiased opinion. If anything , probably Marino's year is and was the most incredible. He shattered the marks before him and it was years before his record was challenged. An argument could be made that Brady took dead aim on Manning's record , one yard TD's were not uncommon , while Manning took the foot off the pedal in his year. 

And Eli happend

You didnt know in AMF - M stands for madness?.

You cant speak truth and logic.

Now you are in her blacklist, no more response to you.

Superbowl victory is not better than a super bowl failure?.

Do you know i stopped watching comedy movies after seeing your posts?. Best part is your posts are free.

Too much truth and logic. AMF disappears.

Comedy starts in the morning today

AMF inspired me for the avatar :)

cant-tell-if-funny-or-stalker.jpg

Seriously. Your obsession with AMF is bordering on uncomfortable for most of us. 

cant-tell-if-funny-or-stalker.jpg

Seriously. Your obsession with AMF is bordering on uncomfortable for most of us. 

Thought she will stand up on her own. You just cant resist, can you.

Most of us?. How about you speak for just yourself.

Good job, taking time to do this.

By the way, like my new avatar?.

I am shocked your opinion invariably gravitates towards Brady.

Another typical  "My Guy's Better than Your Guy"  Thread...  haha

But my Guy really is Better  ;)    Okay I'll stop.

To answer the OP,  Yes  I think it's a good possibility that Peyton will at least tie,  if not surpass the Record on Sunday   :goodluck:

and It's impressive,  I don't care who you are, or who you root for,  It's  Flat Out Impressive what he's accomplishing  at his age and his past surgeries, etc.

How surprising that you would give "Brady the nod " when there just is not really anything to separate what those 3 guys did. But I'm sure it's a well thought out unbiased opinion. If anything , probably Marino's year is and was the most incredible. He shattered the marks before him and it was years before his record was challenged. An argument could be made that Brady took dead aim on Manning's record , one yard TD's were not uncommon , while Manning took the foot off the pedal in his year. 

Can tell if this is sarcastic or if you're bent out of shape for some reason. As stated, it's "just an opinion." And I stated it without ripping on any other player. 

One of the main jobs a QB has is to NOT give the ball away. For as often as he threw that year, Brady did a tremendous job of limiting turnovers. As mentioned in the article below, from October of this year. Marino's 1984 was fantastic and unprecedented at the time, I agree. But he threw 17 picks that year.  

Compared to Manning's 2004, Brady had Moss and Welker, but Manning had Harrison and Wayne. All four of those guys will probably go to the HOF, and Moss is, IMO, the best among them, but overall I think the Colts' offense was more loaded in 2004 than the Patriots' was in 2007 (also had Stokley picking up 1,000, James in his prime, etc). 

Like I said, just an opinion. But not one that's based on the "blue hue" of the uniform. I don't work that way.  ;)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/90974/

Just as impressive as Brady's productivity was the way he limited turnovers. Brady's plus-42 touchdown-to-interception differential is not only the best mark in league history, but only four different quarterbacks have even thrown 42 touchdown passes alone in a season (six seasons total). Brady not only threw one more touchdown with two fewer interceptions than Peyton Manning did in 2004, he had less than half as many interceptions as Dan Marino threw (17) during his record-setting 1984 season.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, December 19, 2013 - off topic bickering
Hidden by Superman, December 19, 2013 - off topic bickering

Thought she will stand up on her own. You just cant resist, can you.

Most of us?. How about you speak for just yourself.

Good job, taking time to do this.

By the way, like my new avatar?.

Of course she can. It's just getting really tedious watching you basically trying to cyber-bully someone. The keyboard is the weapon of the passive-aggressive... would you be acting this way in person? I seriously doubt it. You'd have a hard time typing with broken fingers and your eyes both swelled up shut all the time. 

By the way, yes, lots of respect for Eli. Leads the Manning family in SB victories! 

I am shocked your opinion invariably gravitates towards Brady.

Aren't you the guy who started the "not defending Manning anymore" thread last week? 

See above for an explanation. It's not just Patriots fans who feel that way. 

And threw fewer interceptions than Manning did in '04. On fewer pass attempts. See how that works both ways? ;)

The record isn't for fewest interceptions

Of course she can. It's just getting really tedious watching you basically trying to cyber-bully someone. The keyboard is the weapon of the passive-aggressive... would you be acting this way in person? I seriously doubt it. You'd have a hard time typing with broken fingers and your eyes both swelled up shut all the time. 

By the way, yes, lots of respect for Eli. Leads the Manning family in SB victories! 

Aren't you the guy who started the "not defending Manning anymore" thread last week? 

I think you need to look up dictionary for cyber bully. It is quite funny how you ignore all of her posts.

And i am not surprised with your aggression. Arent you the same guy, who has yelled and screamed twice before and apologized.

Hey its just my opinion, why are you bent up :)

The record isn't for fewest interceptions

Correct, but isn't the OP's question geared toward the overall season? I'm blown away by what Manning has done this year, especially at his age and with all the surgeries and whatnot. It's been an amazing year for him. I'm not trying to take anything away from him here. There have been a couple of games this season where he didn't play his best ball and the Broncos lost. That's not a criticism, it's just fact. But it doesn't devalue what he's done at age 37. The guy is incredible, one of the best ever for sure. 

Overall, I stated my opinion and the reasons behind it. Not sure what else there is to this. 

I think you need to look up dictionary for cyber bully. It is quite funny how you ignore all of her posts.

And i am not surprised with your aggression. Arent you the same guy, who has yelled and screamed twice before and apologized.

You're mistaking aggression for something else. I'm just finding your constant baiting to be annoying. It's pretty much all you do at this point, which stinks because prior to this new obsession of yours you would actually post about the topics and not just take your digs at one specific board member. 

Have you actually posted anything that wasn't directed at AMF in the past few days? If so I think I missed it.

And maybe, that may have been me who apologized... I do my best to represent myself on the board the way I would do so in person. When I step over lines or respond a little too harshly, I acknowledge it. Give it a shot sometime.

Hey its just my opinion, why are you bent up :)

Again, not bent up at all. Only fools and children get riled up because of message board posts. 

Can tell if this is sarcastic or if you're bent out of shape for some reason. As stated, it's "just an opinion." And I stated it without ripping on any other player. 

One of the main jobs a QB has is to NOT give the ball away. For as often as he threw that year, Brady did a tremendous job of limiting turnovers. As mentioned in the article below, from October of this year. Marino's 1984 was fantastic and unprecedented at the time, I agree. But he threw 17 picks that year.  

Compared to Manning's 2004, Brady had Moss and Welker, but Manning had Harrison and Wayne. All four of those guys will probably go to the HOF, and Moss is, IMO, the best among them, but overall I think the Colts' offense was more loaded in 2004 than the Patriots' was in 2007 (also had Stokley picking up 1,000, James in his prime, etc). 

Like I said, just an opinion. But not one that's based on the "blue hue" of the uniform. I don't work that way.  ;)

Just as impressive as Brady's productivity was the way he limited turnovers. Brady's plus-42 touchdown-to-interception differential is not only the best mark in league history, but only four different quarterbacks have even thrown 42 touchdown passes alone in a season (six seasons total). Brady not only threw one more touchdown with two fewer interceptions than Peyton Manning did in 2004, he had less than half as many interceptions as Dan Marino threw (17) during his record-setting 1984 season.

We should probably add in Brady's 2010 season to this discussion. 9:1 TD to INT rate which is best all time. And 355 attempts with no picks which is just sick and he did it with two rookie TEs and no Moss for most of the season. And of course the only unanimous MVP which if we want to judge the BEST season by any QB, the MVP voters say it was Brady in 2010.

You're mistaking aggression for something else. I'm just finding your constant baiting to be annoying. It's pretty much all you do at this point, which stinks because prior to this new obsession of yours you would actually post about the topics and not just take your digs at one specific board member. 

Have you actually posted anything that wasn't directed at AMF in the past few days? If so I think I missed it.

And maybe, that may have been me who apologized... I do my best to represent myself on the board the way I would do so in person. When I step over lines or respond a little too harshly, I acknowledge it. Give it a shot sometime.

Again, not bent up at all. Only fools and children get riled up because of message board posts. 

Exactly my point.

This post explains everything. You come out of nowhere and just start accusing with anger and frustration. 

Re-read your post again and please don't apologize again.

Temporarily locked.

Edit: Just removed a bunch of nonsense from this thread. There's obviously going to be differences of opinion -- sometimes sharp difference of opinion. Please remember to abide by the rules, avoid off topic bickering and arguments, and avoid resorting to personal attacks.

Thank you.

Edited by Superman

I don't think saying that you are biased is sarcastic or being "bent out of shape." 

We should probably add in Brady's 2010 season to this discussion. 9:1 TD to INT rate which is best all time. And 355 attempts with no picks which is just sick and he did it with two rookie TEs and no Moss for most of the season. And of course the only unanimous MVP which if we want to judge the BEST season by any QB, the MVP voters say it was Brady in 2010.

. See if it not too late to edit and delete some of this as it's ridiculous. Because Brady was a unanimous MVP in 2010 by no means , by any stretch of the imagination is that an endorsement that it was the best season ever by a QB. 

Why's that ?  Here ya go. 

It would depend on the years the other MVP candidates had that year. It could be that 2010 was a weak year in performances that were MVP worthy. 

Lets do a hypothetical.

Adrian Peterson rushes for 2300 yards and scores 20 tds. A. Rodgers throws for 5100 yards and 50 Tds. Peterson wins the MVP with 65% of the vote. The following year Foster rushes for 1900 yards and 16 tds. The next best performance was Drew Brees with 4100 yards and 36 tds. Foster wins the award with all the first place votes.

If Peyton played full 60 minutes for all 16 games in 2004, it would have been 55 or 56 easily.

Same with this year, there are lot of games, he was killing the clock in 4th quarter.

I do not know the scenarios for Dan Marino and his games but i know Brady played till the end of 60 minutes of the last game during his 50 TDs.

My thoughts exactly Brady was playing no matter how many points they where up just to pass PEYTON GO PEYTON

. See if it not too late to edit and delete some of this as it's ridiculous. Because Brady was a unanimous MVP in 2010 by no means , by any stretch of the imagination is that an endorsement that it was the best season ever by a QB. 

Why's that ?  Here ya go. 

It would depend on the years the other MVP candidates had that year. It could be that 2010 was a weak year in performances that were MVP worthy. 

Lets do a hypothetical.

Adrian Peterson rushes for 2300 yards and scores 20 tds. A. Rodgers throws for 5100 yards and 50 Tds. Peterson wins the MVP with 65% of the vote. The following year Foster rushes for 1900 yards and 16 tds. The next best performance was Drew Brees with 4100 yards and 36 tds. Foster wins the award with all the first place votes.

Are you serious? Brady got all the votes so the field must have been weak? That argument is weak. Come on now. There has never been a unanimous MVP ever and it was because Brady's season was that good not because the field was weak. I do remember Vick was having a pretty special year that season in Philly and Brees in NO  and Foster I think was the leading rusher but none were close to Brady's performance and the votes reflected that. Like I said you throw 355 passes without a pick and toss 36 TDs to 4 picks with two rookie TEs and a retread in Branch as Moss was traded that year and you get a unanimous MVP.

I don't think saying that you are biased is sarcastic or being "bent out of shape." 

Fair enough man, no harm no foul. Usually when people start with the phrase, "How surprising..." it's accompanied by the traditional eye-roll or head tilt.  ;)

I tried making a legitimate case, so... those are the reasons behind my opinion.