Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So The Colts/polians And Such Are Not Allowed A Bad Season?

dn4192

Everyone is calling for eveyone's head, the whole defense needs to be redone and doom is in our future and we have ruined the final seasons of Peyton Mannings career. I mean that is where we at from what I am reading and that we are the joke of the NFL this season.

So my question, is given all the winning this franchise has done since say 1999, why are people so upset that we are experiencing 1 bad season at this point. I mean in the 7 games we have played we have been toasted once, beaten badly once and the other 5 have been close. Yet the world is coming to an end, we have the worse coach since ...well the worse coach in NFL history. Our GM is a power hungry fool who has in 2-3 short years ruined the Colts and our owner is off in tweeterville while the team falls apart.

I grew up a Bucs fan in the 70's so I understand true horribleness on a grand scale, so I have a point of view to speak from. I am not worried about the Colts, in fact I think this may be good in the long run. We will be looking at a very strong position to draft from in the upcoming draft, something we haven't had since when...1998? If Peyton comes back strong we have a good QB to teach and mentor his replacement whomever that will be and we have an owner who has shown he is willing to do what is necessary to win.

I think some here need to just relax, yes this is going to be a long painful season, but it's just one season and we will bounce back....take a deeeeeep breath, map out the very good talent we will have to pick from in the draft. Remember it could be worse...there could be no NFL season and there were would we be...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is calling for eveyone's head, the whole defense needs to be redone and doom is in our future and we have ruined the final seasons of Peyton Mannings career. I mean that is where we at from what I am reading and that we are the joke of the NFL this season.

So my question, is given all the winning this franchise has done since say 1999, why are people so upset that we are experiencing 1 bad season at this point. I mean in the 7 games we have played we have been toasted once, beaten badly once and the other 5 have been close. Yet the world is coming to an end, we have the worse coach since ...well the worse coach in NFL history. Our GM is a power hungry fool who has in 2-3 short years ruined the Colts and our owner is off in tweeterville while the team falls apart.

I grew up a Bucs fan in the 70's so I understand true horribleness on a grand scale, so I have a point of view to speak from. I am not worried about the Colts, in fact I think this may be good in the long run. We will be looking at a very strong position to draft from in the upcoming draft, something we haven't had since when...1998? If Peyton comes back strong we have a good QB to teach and mentor his replacement whomever that will be and we have an owner who has shown he is willing to do what is necessary to win.

I think some here need to just relax, yes this is going to be a long painful season, but it's just one season and we will bounce back....take a deeeeeep breath, map out the very good talent we will have to pick from in the draft. Remember it could be worse...there could be no NFL season and there were would we be...

Were Linday Infante and Bill Tobin given that right?

Actually having a bad season here and there is not a bad thing for teams taking the goal of winning SB. Like the Steelers they have off years and they use these opportunities to draft talents such that they can come back stronger the next year.

But you are allowed a bad season but not this bad. Two years ago the team was in SB now they are free falling and at the bottom of all 32 teams. This is just ridiculous.

Actually having a bad season here and there is not a bad thing for teams taking the goal of winning SB. Like the Steelers they have off years and they use these opportunities to draft talents such that they can come back stronger the next year.

But you are allowed a bad season but not this bad. Two years ago the team was in SB now they are free falling and at the bottom of all 32 teams. This is just ridiculous.

so we are now ranking bad? If you don't make the playoffs it's a bad season, what does it matter?

Edited by dn4192

Seriously? Having a bad season is one thing but this team has always been one Manning injury away from disaster. No other team is built this way. There hasn't even been a decline we just went from winning to not winning. This is a what have you done foe me lately league so just because you have several winning seasons doesn't allow you to have one horrid season.

Seriously? Having a bad season is one thing but this team has always been one Manning injury away from disaster. No other team is built this way. There hasn't even been a decline we just went from winning to not winning. This is a what have you done foe me lately league so just because you have several winning seasons doesn't allow you to have one horrid season.

Bingo,give this man a cigar.

Manning's covered this team for years. He is the reason they aren't the Los Angeles Colts at this point. Any year over the past 13 seasons we are 4 win team or less if he missed the whole season. He's masked issues for years, so while it's only one year so far, it is not hard to see that these problems have been here longer than this year.

so we are now ranking bad? If you don't make the playoffs it's a bad season, what does it matter?

Let's see...you are one of the few constantly defending Caldwell. You seem to be the only one who is unaffected by the continuous losing and the manner in which they're losing. You're the one who said Manning has never been a good passer and you've been one of the most vocal about how we have no future if we don't draft you know how. Either these are all related or you are completely delusional (possibly both).

I'm very curious if you'd be this blase about the Colts losing if you-know-who had entered the draft last year and therefore wouldn't be available this year. No way would I expect an honest answer to that so I won't even both asking. ;)

delusion and denial both have 'dn' in them, hmmmm.....

How am I delusional and in denial? I refuse to go overboard on this franchise after 7 games of 1 season compared to the last decade. I refuse to even begin to think I have even the slightest bit of knowledge compared to Caldwell, the other coaches, the Polians or even Irsay on how to run a pro sports football team, unlike some here. I am willing to allow the Colts to have a down season with the ability to sit back and see what happens over the next 2-3 seasons and see how the Polians and staff handle it and not go running down teh street like a wild bandit screaming for heads to roll and massive changes to occur.

How am I delusional and in denial? I refuse to go overboard on this franchise after 7 games of 1 season compared to the last decade. I refuse to even begin to think I have even the slightest bit of knowledge compared to Caldwell, the other coaches, the Polians or even Irsay on how to run a pro sports football team, unlike some here. I am willing to allow the Colts to have a down season with the ability to sit back and see what happens over the next 2-3 seasons and see how the Polians and staff handle it and not go running down teh street like a wild bandit screaming for heads to roll and massive changes to occur.

Is this caldwell or one of the polians?cmon you sly devil,fess up.

I am willing to allow the Colts to have a down season with the ability to draft you-know-who and sit back and see what happens over the next 2-3 seasons and see how the Polians and staff handle it and not go running down teh street like a wild bandit screaming for heads to roll and massive changes to occur.

Had to edit because you missed a few words in there. ;)

No excuses, especially for 0-7. But really Caldwell should and will be the 1st to go. He got players that are able to win games but they look as lost as Caldwell does. they need a proactive leader and not 1 that stands by and watches his team get destroyed. Colts need the type of coach who's on the sideline making adjustments on the fly .

This is deeper than one bad season. This is years of a very poor team if you take away Peyton Manning. It very well could be due to having the best record and therefore the worst overall draft pick average in the NFL. But I don't believe that nonsense. Sure we haven't had any legit first round picks, but we still have had picks where we could draft quality players from. This is years of sub par draft picking. Maybe the Colts have no interest in winning this season. But that doesn't mean we will have a solid draft by any means. Way too man busts, and the most passive/puppet coaches in the league. We went back to Tampa 2 in the second half of the Super Bowl and this shell conservative game and it's been downhill since. I think there is a power struggle between the Polians and the coaches. The players, the fans, and Irsay's wallet all will be the victims here. Wayne and Mathis are having their contract value hurt, and it won't be much longer before the blackouts/flex out of prime time starts. When it starts hitting Irsay's wallet, we will see.

It is true we are the worst team in the NFL over the last decade without Manning, outside of the 06 miracle SB run. Last night just emphasized that point.

I may not know football as well as Caldwell or Polian, though I play it, but I do know that if they were more knowledgeable, had a clue, or cared that it wouldn't turn to this ... 0-7 in the middle of the season, where everything looks bleak, all bright spots are dark, receiving one of the most brutal beatings ever ... on a primetime slot no less

What you're not seeing is that this 0-7 start was totally unavoidable. I would gladly give up some of those 10+ win seasons if it meant more Super Bowls but this season is a result of ineptitude all around. Polian built this team to NOT survive without Manning. That's just not very smart. Everyone knew we were the Indianapolis Peyton Mannings and we were one Manning injury away from a dismal season.

Let's see...you are one of the few constantly defending Caldwell. You seem to be the only one who is unaffected by the continuous losing and the manner in which they're losing. You're the one who said Manning has never been a good passer and you've been one of the most vocal about how we have no future if we don't draft you know how. Either these are all related or you are completely delusional (possibly both).

I'm very curious if you'd be this blase about the Colts losing if you-know-who had entered the draft last year and therefore wouldn't be available this year. No way would I expect an honest answer to that so I won't even both asking. ;)

I look at this season as just another season, just happens to be a losing one. After all the number of consecutive winning seasons I have no real issue with one bad one. I don't believe Peyton is a great passer, but he is probably in the top 2-3 of all time greatest QB's ever to play. You don't have to be a great "passer" to be a great QB. heck Jeff George was a great passer but a lousey QB.

As for the draft, if Luck wasn't available I would advocate trading down and adding picks because I don't see the other QB that will be in the draft as franchise changing type of QB's that I would take with the No. 1 pick. I would have zero issue with trading down and adding picks, but if Luck is available you have to take him.

I defend Caldwell because he has earned it. When the team was fully healthy they went 14-2 and went to the SB. When the team experienced injuries in some key skilled position they still won 10 games and went to the playoffs. So yea he gets another season off of those 2 as would any other coach. That doesn't mean some coaches shouldn't be changed out and a reevalation of how we play defense shouldn't happen.

I guess since I am not one of those dyed Blue and white fans, that I understand the nature of sports and how seasons like this can happen I am not all crazy and ticked off on this season. Now if the colts repeat this year with say a 2 win season then a 3 win season then I will think a change in mag't might need to happen, but after just 7 games?

I KNEW Polian was a member here. I just knew it!

This team is good enough to be 7-9 or 6-10, should be able to account for Peyton making a 4 or 5 game difference if there was talent beyond Peyton, which I still believe there is. We are just not being coached right, and adjustments are just not being made on the fly - offense or defense. The pattern is repeating and it got to the point where I felt the players were checking out yesterday. That is why the coaches should go, not just because I woke up today and decided to have a knee-jerk reaction to last night's loss. Being close in the other games when those games were vs offenses like the Bucs, Chiefs, Browns, Bengals (and Steelers too since they were struggling with their O-line that has gelled better now) does not earn anything more than brownie points. Those should have been wins.

The Polians have as much to blame as the coaches but the coaches should be doing more with the current roster on the field.

Edited by chad72

We've had a 6-10 season without Edge arguably our MVP at the time, but we can't even spark a "playoffs rant". Not even a conceivable matter goin to the playoffs nor do I think we have a HC that would give any meaningful rant

Do you think Tom Landrey ever ranted at his players? What about Bill Walsh or George Seifert?

They have been winning, exactly what changes do you think they should have made?

I believe he feels as i do,polian was completly arrogant in the way he designed this team's success, to one player.He gambled for 12 years and he lost big this year.The fact that we are so bad goes directly to this flawed strategy.You can not repeat not build a team that is tied completely to one player.Brady went down they were competetive,steeler's 8-6 wothout big ben.Colts0-7 and on the way to imperfection.

I believe he feels as i do,polian was completly arrogant in the way he designed this team's success, to one player.He gambled for 12 years and he lost big this year.The fact that we are so bad goes directly to this flawed strategy.You can not repeat not build a team that is tied completely to one player.Brady went down they were competetive,steeler's 8-6 wothout big ben.Colts0-7 and on the way to imperfection.

Lets see...I bet if you asked ANY Colt fan back in 1998 the following question all would say heck Yes..

You can draft Petyon Manning, build a franchise on his shoulders, have a decade of winning football with 2 SB appearances and a SB Title in that span, but at some point you are going to have a horrible season would you do it?

Lets see...I bet if you asked ANY Colt fan back in 1998 the following question all would say heck Yes..

You can draft Petyon Manning, build a franchise on his shoulders, have a decade of winning football with 2 SB appearances and a SB Title in that span, but at some point you are going to have a horrible season would you do it?

Some could argue if we had better talent we should have more than one ring,now that we can see just how much of a one man team that this team is.So i have to eat a 0-16 record because polian has been lucky for 12 years?Drafting peyton manning was a tough decision...no? Edited by coltfaninnewyork

Nobody should be ok with the way this season has gone and why you are is beyond me but obviously I can't change your mind and I understand this is just your opinion but this is more then just a bad season. It's pathetic, this had been brewing for awhile and the FO put to much on one player. Caldwell is not a NFL hc Idc what you say. After every horrible play he just claps and says it's ok. It's not ok that's why we are in this situation. Our leader keeps saying it's ok don't worry about.

Or you could ask fans if they want to draft Ben Roethlisberger or Tom Brady, have a decade(not quite for Big Ben) of winning football with 3 and 5 super bowl appearances and 2 / 3 SB titles in that span but at some point have a horrible season