Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So The Colts/polians And Such Are Not Allowed A Bad Season?

dn4192

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at this season as just another season, just happens to be a losing one. After all the number of consecutive winning seasons I have no real issue with one bad one. I don't believe Peyton is a great passer, but he is probably in the top 2-3 of all time greatest QB's ever to play. You don't have to be a great "passer" to be a great QB. heck Jeff George was a great passer but a lousey QB.

As for the draft, if Luck wasn't available I would advocate trading down and adding picks because I don't see the other QB that will be in the draft as franchise changing type of QB's that I would take with the No. 1 pick. I would have zero issue with trading down and adding picks, but if Luck is available you have to take him.

I defend Caldwell because he has earned it. When the team was fully healthy they went 14-2 and went to the SB. When the team experienced injuries in some key skilled position they still won 10 games and went to the playoffs. So yea he gets another season off of those 2 as would any other coach. That doesn't mean some coaches shouldn't be changed out and a reevalation of how we play defense shouldn't happen.

I guess since I am not one of those dyed Blue and white fans, that I understand the nature of sports and how seasons like this can happen I am not all crazy and ticked off on this season. Now if the colts repeat this year with say a 2 win season then a 3 win season then I will think a change in mag't might need to happen, but after just 7 games?

You missed the point entirely...though I'm not surprised.

I'm very curious if you'd be this blase about the Colts losing if you-know-who had entered the draft last year and therefore wouldn't be available this year. No way would I expect an honest answer to that so I won't even both asking

Hopefully that helps. I didn't ask what you would do in the draft if Luck weren't available. In my opinion, and it is simply that...my opinion, you are happy the Colts are losing because that is the best chance for the Colts to wind up in a position to draft your favorite player and you continue to defend Caldwell because if a coaching change is made, then a competent coach may be brought in who could figure out a way to win with the talent on this team and if the Colts win, then the chances of drafting you-know-who begin to diminish on a weekly basis.

You missed the point entirely...though I'm not surprised.

Hopefully that helps. I didn't ask what you would do in the draft if Luck weren't available. In my opinion, and it is simply that...my opinion, you are happy the Colts are losing because that is the best chance for the Colts to wind up in a position to draft your favorite player and you continue to defend Caldwell because if a coaching change is made, then a competent coach may be brought in who could figure out a way to win with the talent on this team and if the Colts win, then the chances of drafting you-know-who begin to diminish on a weekly basis.

I really don't follow college football that much. I know of Luck and that he is considered probably the best QB to come out since Peyton and if given the opportunity the Colts should take him, but even if Luck wasn't in the draft, again I am not going to go off the deep end due to 1 bad season. I am willing to allow those who have put together a team the quality of which is not seen that often in pro sports over a full decade to reload and rebuild over the coming couple of seasons. I refuse to accept the rantings of "joe fan" who have little to no knowledge of the inner workings of a pro sports franchise over those who do. If Polian determins to make a coaching change, then fine, I don't care, if he decides to keep Caldwell again I am okay with that, because only "Joe" Fan, he knows what he is doing and has the resume to back it up. Would I like to see the colts dominating this season, sure especially after the poor season my MLB team had this season, but I am also okay with the fact that it's a down year and we have the people running the ship who have the ability to correct the problem.

Some could argue if we had better talent we should have more than one ring,now that we can see just how much of a one man team that this team is.So i have to eat a 0-16 record because polian has been lucky for 12 years?Drafting peyton manning was a tough decision...no?

Maybe if our "Franchise" QB actually performed in the playoffs like he did in the regular season we would have more...

One bad

I really don't follow college football that much. I know of Luck and that he is considered probably the best QB to come out since Peyton and if given the opportunity the Colts should take him, but even if Luck wasn't in the draft, again I am not going to go off the deep end due to 1 bad season. I am willing to allow those who have put together a team the quality of which is not seen that often in pro sports over a full decade to reload and rebuild over the coming couple of seasons. I refuse to accept the rantings of "joe fan" who have little to no knowledge of the inner workings of a pro sports franchise over those who do. If Polian determins to make a coaching change, then fine, I don't care, if he decides to keep Caldwell again I am okay with that, because only "Joe" Fan, he knows what he is doing and has the resume to back it up. Would I like to see the colts dominating this season, sure especially after the poor season my MLB team had this season, but I am also okay with the fact that it's a down year and we have the people running the ship who have the ability to correct the problem.

One bad season?How about a historic bad season?You do not need to be a player personal guy to know caldwell is horrible and has to go.Give Joe Fan some credit...Mr.polian

Get a clue,what has this year shown?Every success we have ever had is because of manning.When we are 0-16 maybe you will realize that....but i doubt it. :help:

Peyton is a reason we are losing but not the sole reason. We wouldn't have won last night with Peyton. Our defense couldn't stop anyone last night. I kinda surprised how anyone could have missed that.

One bad

One bad season?How about a historic bad season?You do not need to be a player personal guy to know caldwell is horrible and has to go.Give Joe Fan some credit...Mr.polian

Losing is losing, there are not "degrees" of losing. And yes you actually need to have some background in the sport to have the ability to judge the performance of a coach or player or such. "Watching" it at home, or at the stadium or pre season camp does not give anyone the knowledge on the level of those actually working in the field.

Peyton is a reason we are losing but not the sole reason. We wouldn't have won last night with Peyton. Our defense couldn't stop anyone last night. I kinda surprised how anyone could have missed that.

So wait... You say this, but Polian and the coaches aren't to blame for that?

How does that work? Aren't they the ones who bring in, and then instruct these guys what to do?

Yep.

Because defense doesn't matter in the slightest, oh no....

But wait.... Polian drafted Manning.... So how is it STILL not Polian's fault then?

Defense and the running game are the reasons we have the 1 SB win we have, it sure as heck wasn't Petyon that "led" us to that win. And again maybe if Peyton would have not thrown the bad pass in the other SB we would have 2. And what about the other poor decisions Peyton has made inthe playoffs....

Losing is losing, there are not "degrees" of losing. And yes you actually need to have some background in the sport to have the ability to judge the performance of a coach or player or such. "Watching" it at home, or at the stadium or pre season camp does not give anyone the knowledge on the level of those actually working in the field.

Do you have that ability?

So wait... You say this, but Polian and the coaches aren't to blame for that?

How does that work? Aren't they the ones who bring in, and then instruct these guys what to do?

Yep and there has been some poor choices, it happens in sports, what you hope for is you make fewer poor choices then good choices and over his tenure here in Indy Polian has and I unlike some here are willing to allow him to correct the issues we have now. I have also said we do make some changes in the coaches, just not Caldwell at this point.

Defense and the running game are the reasons we have the 1 SB win we have, it sure as heck wasn't Petyon that "led" us to that win. And again maybe if Peyton would have not thrown the bad pass in the other SB we would have 2. And what about the other poor decisions Peyton has made inthe playoffs....

Are you serious? The man single handedly carried the 3rd worst run defense in NFL history to the playoffs.

Are you serious? The man single handedly carried the 3rd worst run defense in NFL history to the playoffs.

In the regular season he was great, but come the playoffs it was the defense and run game that got us to that SB and won it. If you doubt that go back and check out the tape.

Yep and there has been some poor choices, it happens in sports, what you hope for is you make fewer poor choices then good choices and over his tenure here in Indy Polian has and I unlike some here are willing to allow him to correct the issues we have now. I have also said we do make some changes in the coaches, just not Caldwell at this point.

This thread is full of absurdities.

This is just another one to add to the list.

Really, so Peyton bringing us back in the AFCCG surely had nothing to do with getting to the super bowl?

Also Peyton knowing that the Tampa 2 is weak against the run (what the bears were using in the SB) so he ran the ball more than passed it means he deserves no credit?

Using your logic Peyton needs to throw 4 TD's a game and 300+ yards in order to be credited a victory.

We might as well blame Peyton for having a 108 rating against the Jets last year and still losing. Since Peyton let them run back the kick into FG range and Peyton couldn't defend the pass against Edwards we should blame Peyton.

Lets blame Peyton for having a 97 rating against the Chargers in '08 yet It must be Peytons fault for not being able to play defense against BILLY VOLEK after Rivers went out.

Lets blame Peyton for the 09 loss against the chargers in OT when the defense let Sproles gash them in OT with a 22 yard TD run and Manning didn't turn the ball over once nor did he have a chance in OT to throw the ball.

This thread is full of absurdities.

This is just another one to add to the list.

See above for another one.

In the regular season he was great, but come the playoffs it was the defense and run game that got us to that SB and won it. If you doubt that go back and check out the tape.

I rememver Ray Lewis praised Manning for making the incredible throw to Dallas Clark to seal the game at the Ravens. The two teams played a close and ugly game with both defense playing great, while the team having better QB made crucial plays to win.

I remember Manning took us back from a 18 point deficit and beat the Pats, and he did throw for 1 TD and more than 300 yards, which was 100+ yards more than Brady in this big game.

Go figure.

Maybe if our "Franchise" QB actually performed in the playoffs like he did in the regular season we would have more...

Well what the others are trying to say is if there was alittle more around Manning the team would have more rings. Better O-line or defense perhaps? A coach who can coach on the fly? Not trying so hard to turn every low pick or udfa into the next diamond in the ruff?(yes Indy has had some luck there)

If it weren't for the horrible coaching and conservative play calling we wouldn't have been in the come from behind mode the resulted in that interception. Peyton has been far from perfect in the playoffs but he is also carrying the weight of bad defense and a poor running game.

Well what the others are trying to say is if there was alittle more around Manning the team would have more rings. Better O-line or defense perhaps? A coach who can coach on the fly? Not trying so hard to turn every low pick or udfa into the next diamond in the ruff?(yes Indy has had some luck there)

Exactly!

And when you keep doing one thing time and time again there should be some luck.

I really don't follow college football that much. I know of Luck and that he is considered probably the best QB to come out since Peyton and if given the opportunity the Colts should take him,

There are multiple threads in the drafts forum with your posts littered throughout claiming Luck to be the greatest thing since sliced-bread. If you really don't follow college ball that much and you only "know of" Luck then why is the draft forum littered with your never-ending hero-worship of him?

Your right 1 SB appearance, 2 divisional titles in 2.5 seasons...wow how dare they not be 39-0 at this point in teh regular season and have 2 SB titles...
This is a what have you done for me lately business.Even the great vince lombardi was dismissed from green bay.Did i just mention caldwell with lombardi?I just vomited in my mouth. Edited by coltfaninnewyork

There are multiple threads in the drafts forum with your posts littered throughout claiming Luck to be the greatest thing since sliced-bread. If you really don't follow college ball that much and you only "know of" Luck then why is the draft forum littered with your never-ending hero-worship of him?

His credibility just keeps dropping...

Do you think Tom Landrey ever ranted at his players? What about Bill Walsh or George Seifert?

I know for a fact Bill Walsh would rant at times. heck I've seen video of it on NFL films.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we all had tempered expectations of this team without Manning. Not only has the team failed to meet even the most basic of standard of play, it's been downright embarassing.

I can handle losing. Giving up, not so much.

Nobody should be ok with the way this season has gone and why you are is beyond me but obviously I can't change your mind and I understand this is just your opinion but this is more then just a bad season. It's pathetic, this had been brewing for awhile and the FO put to much on one player. Caldwell is not a NFL hc Idc what you say. After every horrible play he just claps and says it's ok. It's not ok that's why we are in this situation. Our leader keeps saying it's ok don't worry about.

So sports teams should always just win? Do I like we got punked last night? Not at all, but it's not the end of the world as it won't be if we go 0-16. There is no reason to not think this franchise will rebound, especially with all the high quality/high number of picks we will have. I also believe there will be some changes in the coaching staff and how we design our defense in the offseason. Again 1 bad season is no big deal, lets see what happens should Peyton return and some new young talent/coaches are added next year before we go on a bender...

Your right 1 SB appearance, 2 divisional titles in 2.5 seasons...wow how dare they not be 39-0 at this point in teh regular season and have 2 SB titles...

Ah yes, hyperbole. Always good to see a flawed argument based on that.

We got embarassed on national television by almost 60 points. In the process of sustaining that butt whipping we watched (along with everyone in America) our team give up and roll over. That is unacceptable. The level of performance of this team is unacceptable (even taking into account a reasonable drop off from missing Manning) The level of coaching is unacceptable. Our decision regarding personel are unacceptable.

We're not mad because we haven't already won the superbowl. We're mad because we went from elite team to laughingstock of the league in a span of 7 weeks.

Our front office has been depanced and many of us are aknowledging it.

You are free of course live in denial and pretend that isn't the case. However, in the process, please refrain from misrepresenting reasonable frustrations expressed on this forum, to avoid having to deal with the reality of this team and the failure surrounding it.

Go Horse.

Edited by Jaric