Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Broncos fall off the Super Bowl express with loss to Chargers?

amfootball

And if New England falters down the stretch they lose their first round bye. And the Broncos schedule is more favorable at this point than the Patriots.

Yep all potentials but I am happy Pats control their own destiny. That was not the case until Denver's loss. And if Denver does have to come to NE in the playoffs it will be last night's game that people point to along with NEs 24 point come back.

May have cost them the #1 seed and if they falter again and KC wins out they will be the 5 seed. They were thought to have had the AFC locked up so it cost them positioning that may or may not derail their chance at the SB.

Meh. You play to win every game, regardless of seeding. They lost a game at home, and it shows that they need to improve in certain areas, on both sides of the ball. To be honest, we all knew this already. I don't think much has changed with the quality of the team, assuming Welker gets back before the playoffs.

As for whether they can get the #1 seed or not, that's for the rest of the season to decide. But the #1 seed doesn't guarantee you anything, and it might not matter if the Patriots get it but then lose in the divisional round (we're assuming the Pats can win out without Gronkowski, by the way). The Broncos are probably kicking themselves for losing a game that they could have won, especially since they really didn't play well. But I don't think the craziness being exhibited around here is really indicative of their chances of going deep in the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl.

Meh. You play to win every game, regardless of seeding. They lost a game at home, and it shows that they need to improve in certain areas, on both sides of the ball. To be honest, we all knew this already. I don't think much has changed with the quality of the team, assuming Welker gets back before the playoffs.

As for whether they can get the #1 seed or not, that's for the rest of the season to decide. But the #1 seed doesn't guarantee you anything, and it might not matter if the Patriots get it but then lose in the divisional round (we're assuming the Pats can win out without Gronkowski, by the way). The Broncos are probably kicking themselves for losing a game that they could have won, especially since they really didn't play well. But I don't think the craziness being exhibited around here is really indicative of their chances of going deep in the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl.

I have been around football forums long enough to know a game like last night will elicit crazy responses just like when the Pats lost to the Panthers. Like you said one game. We are a live in a moment type of society. But a lot of the thread has some good football analysis that I always appreciate.

These last few games of the season are what it is all about. While I do agree it is anyone's ball game, having a bye and having to win one less game is a huge deal. And having the road to the playoffs come through your home field is also favorable and something every team is fighting for.

Come on Superman, you can't keep making sense. We are supposed to buy into the hysteria here, which is up or down based on whether the Broncos or Patriots are up or down a particular week (depending on who you are), LOL :).

I have been around football forums long enough to know a game like last night will elicit crazy responses just like when the Pats lost to the Panthers. Like you said one game. We are a live in a moment type of society. But a lot of the thread has some good football analysis that I always appreciate.

These last few games of the season are what it is all about. While I do agree it is anyone's ball game, having a bye and having to win one less game is a huge deal. And having the road to the playoffs come through your home field is also favorable and something every team is fighting for.

They're still in #2, so long as they win out, even if KC wins out. Let's talk about losing the bye if/when they lose another game.

Yeah, every team WANTS to have the #1 seed, but I think it's much more important to look at how the team is playing, as opposed to writing them off with one loss to a pretty good divisional opponent. The Chargers are a good team, despite their inconsistencies, and they played well last night on both sides of the ball. Divisional games are always tough, at home or on the road. The Broncos were on a short week, with a 37 year old QB who has been dealing with nerve damage in his throwing arm for many years. The defense played poorly. The offense was out of sync, for multiple reasons, some of which fall on Manning. To me, they lost a game, but their season isn't over. Maybe I wasn't ready for Overreaction Monday because it's still Friday.

Long story short, the Broncos might have to settle for a lower seed. Having a higher seed didn't do them any favors last year. They might actually benefit from dropping to the 5 seed, playing the Colts indoors, and then going to KC in the divisional round, where it's not as cold as it should be in Denver (or maybe it will be; who knows?) Either way, I don't get why people are shoveling dirt over them, when just a week ago "the road to the SB is paved for the Broncos." I didn't buy that, either. In all, it's one game.

Come on Superman, you can't keep making sense. We are supposed to buy into the hysteria here, which is up or down based on whether the Broncos or Patriots are up or down a particular week (depending on who you are), LOL :).

Yeah, I just thought I'd go on the record. 

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

They're still in #2, so long as they win out, even if KC wins out. Let's talk about losing the bye if/when they lose another game.

Yeah, every team WANTS to have the #1 seed, but I think it's much more important to look at how the team is playing, as opposed to writing them off with one loss to a pretty good divisional opponent. The Chargers are a good team, despite their inconsistencies, and they played well last night on both sides of the ball. Divisional games are always tough, at home or on the road. The Broncos were on a short week, with a 37 year old QB who has been dealing with nerve damage in his throwing arm for many years. The defense played poorly. The offense was out of sync, for multiple reasons, some of which fall on Manning. To me, they lost a game, but their season isn't over. Maybe I wasn't ready for Overreaction Monday because it's still Friday.

Long story short, the Broncos might have to settle for a lower seed. Having a higher seed didn't do them any favors last year. They might actually benefit from dropping to the 5 seed, playing the Colts indoors, and then going to KC in the divisional round, where it's not as cold as it should be in Denver (or maybe it will be; who knows?) Either way, I don't get why people are shoveling dirt over them, when just a week ago "the road to the SB is paved for the Broncos." I didn't buy that, either. In all, it's one game.

I wasn't talking about the Broncos losing a bye. Just talking in general about trying to get the best possible positioning and Denver's loss hurt them as they do not control their own destiny anymore for the 1 but they do for the 2.

When talking about a team's chances, I think it goes beyond just the wins/losses or even the seeding. This Broncos teams has serious issues on D, a run game that sometimes disappears and now is dealing with injuries. It is possible that they may have peaked back in Sept/Oct. Then again they could go on a roll like the Ravens did but it is probably unlikely because their defense really can't stop anyone.

All that being said, every single team in the AFC is flawed so again anyone's ball game which is why the bye and home field may be more critical than previous seasons. If I was betting, I would take the Bengals if Dalton can play well. They seem like the most complete and healthiest team right now but we'll see come Jan.

Yep all potentials but I am happy Pats control their own destiny. That was not the case until Denver's loss. And if Denver does have to come to NE in the playoffs it will be last night's game that people point to along with NEs 24 point come back.

You as a Patriots fan should realize that regular season matchups don't have a huge impact on post-season matchups.

2010:

Regular season game

Patriots 45 Jets 3

Post season game

Patriots 21 Jets 28

I wasn't talking about the Broncos losing a bye. Just talking in general about trying to get the best possible positioning and Denver's loss hurt them as they do not control their own destiny anymore for the 1 but they do for the 2.

When talking about a team's chances, I think it goes beyond just the wins/losses or even the seeding. This Broncos teams has serious issues on D, a run game that sometimes disappears and now is dealing with injuries. It is possible that they may have peaked back in Sept/Oct. Then again they could go on a roll like the Ravens did but it is probably unlikely because their defense really can't stop anyone.

All that being said, every single team in the AFC is flawed so again anyone's ball game which is why the bye and home field may be more critical than previous seasons. If I was betting, I would take the Bengals if Dalton can play well. They seem like the most complete and healthiest team right now but we'll see come Jan.

You did mention having a bye. And that's way more crucial for the Broncos than having homefield, as nice as that would be.

Like you say, every team in the AFC is flawed. Every team in the league is flawed, some moreso than others. The Seahawks are the most complete team in the league, but they have their warts as well, especially on the road. It's a good thing they pretty much locked up homefield, but they are still beatable.

The Broncos have been flawed all year. We've mentioned it a hundred times. The secondary is questionable. The run game is inconsistent (especially if Moreno isn't healthy). The offensive line is battered and bruised. They rely heavily on a passing game that can go cold from time to time, and that likelihood goes way up in the playoffs against good competition and in more adverse weather conditions. This is nothing new after the Chargers game.

If the Patriots finish #1, then their flaws come under scrutiny as well, as it pertains to the Broncos having to go on the road. Which is why I said that even at #2, the Broncos still could host the AFCCG if the Pats don't make it out of the divisional round. 

As for the Broncos peaking in Sept/Oct, I disagree. They didn't look any better back then than they did the last two weeks, against some pretty good competition. It all comes down to whether the team they face can exploit their weaknesses, which San Diego did a good job of last night. Last night's game also illustrates that homefield might not mean anything; any team can lose at home.

You did mention having a bye. And that's way more crucial for the Broncos than having homefield, as nice as that would be.

Like you say, every team in the AFC is flawed. Every team in the league is flawed, some moreso than others. The Seahawks are the most complete team in the league, but they have their warts as well, especially on the road. It's a good thing they pretty much locked up homefield, but they are still beatable.

The Broncos have been flawed all year. We've mentioned it a hundred times. The secondary is questionable. The run game is inconsistent (especially if Moreno isn't healthy). The offensive line is battered and bruised. They rely heavily on a passing game that can go cold from time to time, and that likelihood goes way up in the playoffs against good competition and in more adverse weather conditions. This is nothing new after the Chargers game.

If the Patriots finish #1, then their flaws come under scrutiny as well, as it pertains to the Broncos having to go on the road. Which is why I said that even at #2, the Broncos still could host the AFCCG if the Pats don't make it out of the divisional round. 

As for the Broncos peaking in Sept/Oct, I disagree. They didn't look any better back then than they did the last two weeks, against some pretty good competition. It all comes down to whether the team they face can exploit their weaknesses, which San Diego did a good job of last night. Last night's game also illustrates that homefield might not mean anything; any team can lose at home.

Yep. I agree all around.

All 5 runs that the Pats have made to the SB since 2001 they have either been the 1 or 2 seed. It seems particularly important for them and like I said, one less game is one less chance to lose and be out.

I really do hope both teams make it to the end. I know you are pulling for your Colts but I would love to see Brady and Manning battle again with a trip to the SB on the line.

Yep. I agree all around.

All 5 runs that the Pats have made to the SB since 2001 they have either been the 1 or 2 seed. It seems particularly important for them and like I said, one less game is one less chance to lose and be out.

I really do hope both teams make it to the end. I know you are pulling for your Colts but I would love to see Brady and Manning battle again with a trip to the SB on the line.

There's flawed, and then there's fatally flawed. Unless the Colts can get their offense going without Reggie, they are fatally flawed. I believe in any given Sunday, but every given Sunday lately, the offense has been a dud in the first half. There have been glimpses of production, but they'll have to do much better over these next three weeks for me to believe that they have a real chance in the playoffs. (By the way, the defensive issues look a lot worse because of the offensive ineptitude. It's all about first downs with the Colts, and they aren't getting enough of them.)

I'd love to see Manning and Brady again in the AFCCG, regardless of the venue. 

Division games are often very tight, and nothing would make the Bills and their fans happier to deal a blow to NE late in the season.

I'd also like to hit the Mega Millions and find a smoking hot girlfriend.

In other words, it won't happen.

I mean, we've given the Patriots some good fights in Foxboro for the past several years (I went to the 2009 and 2010 games, the former where McKelvin fumbles the kickoff with 2 minutes left and I go into an ensuing depression for the next 24 hours and then the Fitz vs. Brady 38-30 shootout), and if our offense plays anything like they have in the past several weeks, we won't stand a chance. The defense though has actually exceeded my expectations a bit this year so if anyone can keep us in that game, it'll be them, but given that it's the Patriots, I don't have too much confidence in that.

The Broncos are a completely different beast when Welker is healthy. I still think the Broncos are contenders. Having said that I don't expect them to win the Superbowl, too many good ball control teams and Denver's horrid defense will ensure that Peyton will be watching the Super Bowl instead of playing it

It was just a sign of things to come.

The minute this team runs into a team that can score consecutively and don't wet their pants when they see golden boy on the sidelines, you know they are going to lose. That defense can't stop a nose bleed and it looks like someone is following the Colts blueprint of playing hardball with Manning and forcing turnovers and stops.

The AFC is pretty weak but I still think the Colts could take on Denver on the road and beat them. They are not the greatest team ever. If it weren't for that offense and playing a very weak cupcake schedule they could easily have the Chargers record.

P.S. John Fox is never going to win a Super Bowl.

Wow. Talk about over reaction by the media (and fans).

Denver is 11-3. Gee.

The odds (notice I said odds) is NE will lose another game. Not to mention 2 are on the road. Onside kicks won't be a given to win either.

Buffalo is 5th in defense on FO.

Its not that the AFC is bad- it's they're all good thanks to parity.  It's the NFL

Kind of surprised at how many posters are dismissing the notion of home field... of course it's not a guarantee in any way (Patriots have lost, what, three playoff games at Gillette since 2009?) but given a choice I'd take it 100 times out of 100. 

Kind of surprised at how many posters are dismissing the notion of home field... of course it's not a guarantee in any way (Patriots have lost, what, three playoff games at Gillette since 2009?) but given a choice I'd take it 100 times out of 100. 

Just speaking for myself, I'm not dismissing it. It's always better to have it. Just pointing out that a) home field advantage doesn't guarantee anything, especially in Manning's case, and b) being the #2 seed doesn't mean you won't host the AFCCG, because the #1 seed might lose before then.

So, based on that, I reject the notion that the Broncos at #2 can't win the Super Bowl. Perhaps it makes it harder, perhaps. But that's only the case if the #1 seed wins their first playoff game, and if the Broncos actually win their divisional game at home.

It was just a sign of things to come.

The minute this team runs into a team that can score consecutively and don't wet their pants when they see golden boy on the sidelines, you know they are going to lose. That defense can't stop a nose bleed and it looks like someone is following the Colts blueprint of playing hardball with Manning and forcing turnovers and stops.

The AFC is pretty weak but I still think the Colts could take on Denver on the road and beat them. They are not the greatest team ever. If it weren't for that offense and playing a very weak cupcake schedule they could easily have the Chargers record.

P.S. John Fox is never going to win a Super Bowl.

Yeah who would have thought that forcing turnovers and making stops would be so effective? What a masterful gameplan. I don't know how anyone else didn't think of it earlier.

Yeah who would have thought that forcing turnovers and making stops would be so effective? What a masterful gameplan. I don't know how anyone else didn't think of it earlier.

So you mean to tell me that if you force turnovers and make stops, you have a higher chance of winning football games???

This changes everything...

Unless the team learns how to play defense overnight like 2006 Indy they were never on the train to begin with.

Let alone the litany of boneheaded penalties due to terrible coaching.

People dismiss the loss due to Welker. Welker does not play defense. The offense is the one facet of the team that isn't a problem. On a bad night they're mediocre.

Talent - I think they do if they get some key players healthy, like Derek Wolfe that is a good pass rusher on the interior and Wesley Woodyard back to MLB. Not sure if Champ Bailey will ever be able to contribute again at a high level.

Coaching - I agree, JDR and John Fox are overrated.

I wish it was coaching....

They've lost a lot of people in the secondary and Kevin Vickerson being out showed vs. SD...

....all the guys they talked with in the off-season..Freeney, Abraham..Woodson.

they knew they were short on defense

I still say the Broncos are the #1 team to beat for a couple of reasons...

Schedule = Broncos have an easier schedule through out than the Patriots do.  The odds that the Patriots lose at least one more game before the playoffs is greater than the Broncos.

Injuries = Sure the Broncos have "some" injuries but they aren't season ending injuries.  The Pats have far more injuries and far more season ending injuries where players won't be back for the playoffs.

With the reasons above the Patriots could finish being #3 seed behind the Broncos and Chiefs.

Schedule = Broncos have an easier schedule through out than the Patriots do.  The odds that the Patriots lose at least one more game before the playoffs is greater than the Broncos.

Injuries = Sure the Broncos have "some" injuries but they aren't season ending injuries.  The Pats have far more injuries and far more season ending injuries where players won't be back for the playoffs.

With the reasons above the Patriots could finish being #3 seed behind the Broncos and Chiefs.

Rarely do the Pats lose these types of games with so much riding. I still bet them for the 1 seed but do agree that the injuries may be too much this year.

I hear yah but they can not be the #3 seed behind the Broncos and Chiefs as they are in the same division . . . they can however be the #3 seed behind Denver and Cinn tho  . .  it will be a interesting few weeks . . .

I just don't think Denver is that good. Despite their record setting season, I don't consider them to be `the greatest offense of all time` because, unlike the `experts`, I actually consider strength of schedule.

The fact is the Broncos have made a name for themselves in media circles by destroying bottom feeders. The ONLY play off team they've beaten is the Chiefs, which aren't as good as their record indicated. They lost to the Patriots, despite flukey turn overs spotting them a 24 point half time lead, and they lost to the Colts, which isn't even a top seed play off team.

Strength of schedule, strength of schedule, strength of schedule.

It's something I consider every single season going into the play offs, and its a formula that works for predicting how teams will perform against real competition.

Last season, Denver was highly touted going into the play offs despite LOSING TO EVERY PLAY OFF TEAM they played in the regular season (Atlanta, Houston, New England, etc)

I really just don't understand why people act surprised by this sort of stuff.

Seriously, why is destroying the Raiders or the Titans putting a team as the AFC favorite?

IMO, it's purely media sensationalism to drive ratings and drive interest. Surely these so called "experts" can't honestly be this stupid and short sighted every single season?

I just don't think Denver is that good. Despite their record setting season, I don't consider them to be `the greatest offense of all time` because, unlike the `experts`, I actually consider strength of schedule.

The fact is the Broncos have made a name for themselves in media circles by destroying bottom feeders. The ONLY play off team they've beaten is the Chiefs, which aren't as good as their record indicated. They lost to the Patriots, despite flukey turn overs spotting them a 24 point half time lead, and they lost to the Colts, which isn't even a top seed play off team.

Strength of schedule, strength of schedule, strength of schedule.

It's something I consider every single season going into the play offs, and its a formula that works for predicting how teams will perform against real competition.

Last season, Denver was highly touted going into the play offs despite LOSING TO EVERY PLAY OFF TEAM they played in the regular season (Atlanta, Houston, New England, etc)

I really just don't understand why people act surprised by this sort of stuff.

Seriously, why is destroying the Raiders or the Titans putting a team as the AFC favorite?

IMO, it's purely media sensationalism to drive ratings and drive interest. Surely these so called "experts" can't honestly be this stupid and short sighted every single season?

That's misleading ......Pats.

Denver lost all their games in September and October last year and they beat the eventual Super Bowl champs in December..

Of course people thought they'd get to the Bowl

Plus..Strength of schedule is a personal call..

When the Broncos beat KC twice....KC suddenly isn't considered THAT good. Before that, KC was 9-0 had the No.1 defense in the league...and nobody was saying Denver's schedule was weak. San Diego has beaten KC and Denver..They are pretty strong...

NE's comeback win over Denver happened to a flukey bounce on a punt....Lets be honest..

The Broncos rushed for 280 yards...the most against NE in years..That was no fluke...

The No,1 offense thing is a statistical judgement and its a fact after 14 games.

Its easy to wait to a team loses and then talk about why they are overrated...Denver is 11-3...all 3 losses by 1 TD

They aren't overrated.....but they aren't great.

You don't have to be 'great' to win the Super Bowl.

You just have to win your conference..and then one more...