Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

List the free agents you'd like us to sign this offseason

AllYouNeedIsLuck

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is hard, because we need to fix the O-Line first, but we also need a OLB, ILB, CB, and Safety on Defense.

Center - I seriously doubt Mack is going anywhere. LaPuente from Saints is my top pick. Mangold from Jets would be good too. 

Guard - Draft Antonio Richardson (from Tennessee) and move him to guard

CB - one to pair with Vontae, because Toler is an injured joke and needs cut. I say Verner from Titans, or if we could steal Haden from Cleveland we would be very close to elite....depending on which Vontae shows up.

OLB - Draft Morgan Bresland (SoCal) or Adrian Hubbard (Alabama) with our 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

ILB - I don't know who to get in FA or in the draft, but it's got to be someone who can cover. Angerer is not good at pass coverage. We need an upgrade to pair with Freeman. 

We also need a safety because Bethea is probably gone. I say draft one if we can't get Barron from the Bucs, or Wilson from the Titans

Honestly I'm gonna get flack for this but I honestly not really sure we should re-sign Vontae Davis.  

Having a guy that plays special for 2 games of the season and is pure crap the rest of the season isn't my idea of a good corner.

I'm kinda fed up with the guy.  An average WR in the league beats him regularly and an above average WR makes him look stupid.  That is unless he's having one of his few special games in which he inexplicably shuts someone down.  Only to give up 3 long TD's next week.  

We spend a 2nd round pick on him, I get it, that's a sunk cost.  We just amplify the problem if we re-sign him to a decent sized contract and he goes back to letting receivers run past him regularly.  

I really want to see him pick up his game in the next 3 games and the playoffs before I'll be convinced he's even a necessary member of this defense. 

Honestly I'm gonna get flack for this but I honestly not really sure we should re-sign Vontae Davis.  

Having a guy that plays special for 2 games of the season and is pure crap the rest of the season isn't my idea of a good corner.

I'm kinda fed up with the guy.  An average WR in the league beats him regularly and an above average WR makes him look stupid.  That is unless he's having one of his few special games in which he inexplicably shuts someone down.  Only to give up 3 long TD's next week.  

We spend a 2nd round pick on him, I get it, that's a sunk cost.  We just amplify the problem if we re-sign him to a decent sized contract and he goes back to letting receivers run past him regularly.  

I really want to see him pick up his game in the next 3 games and the playoffs before I'll be convinced he's even a necessary member of this defense. 

Davis played special in more than just 2 games.  He played incredibly well the entire time Toler was playing.  The entire secondary's performance has dropped since Toler went out.

Davis played special in more than just 2 games.  He played incredibly well the entire time Toler was playing.  The entire secondary's performance has dropped since Toler went out.

That may be true but Toler being on the sidelines doesn't affect what Davis does with his man.  

If it's Cassius Vaughn or Butler being beat then I would say that the Toler injury is hurting us.  

But Davis should be solid against his man regardless.

2 games?

Mack is the best interior lineman available and as such should be our top priority.

Aside from him, I would like a good safety. Jarius byrd is obviously the best available, but he is going to come at a hefty price. Alterraun Verner would be a fantastic capture, especially with Toler being injured so often. I don't know what the DB class is looking like in the draft.

With regards to recievers, I'm going to give our corp the benefit of the doubt until our seasons over. If it is clear we need reinforcements, there are some good mid rounders available so I wouldn't really be looking to FA. Besides, there is no one I am particularly fond of.

I think another pass rusher, be it on the line or a backer, is a huge need. I don't really know who is available, or what there is to draft.

The only person I can name that I desperately want the team to sign in FA is Mack. Aside from him, I want a new starting safety, and some depth at the line (someone better than McGlynn and Satele though). After that, a starting corner would be nice, but I'm not sure what can be afforded after we resign the players we need.

That and he comes off as a total jack hole...plus he seems to get nicked a lot.

yea you are probably right. i do remember seeing him getting injured but havent really payed attention.

i guess im just tired of toler missing games but whats the point of chaning him for another dude that will miss games

theyre already demanding improvement and hes not responding

You can only deal with so many injuries. Bill Belichick's defense has looked like turd after sustaining injuries. In fact, his defense has looked poor for several years and we crown him genius.

theyre already demanding improvement and hes not responding

Once they some decent play from the WR core the offense really started to click and put up 28 points against a very good Bengals defense.  I would call that improvement.  They knew Pep was going to be a work in progress when they hired him because he's never been a playcaller at the NFL level.  Add to the fact that he's installing a new type of offense and all the injuries on offense that the team has sustained and it should be very easy to see why the offense has been struggling.

he's an offensive guru. that's why they win.

From 1975-Present, Bill Belichick has been on the offensive side of the ball 1 year:  1977 with the Detroit Lions as a TE/WR coach....

The rest of the time he has spent as Special teams Coach, Secondary Coach, LB Coach, Defensive Coordinator, Assistant Head Coach and Head Coach.

Not slammin ya relkins...just the facts.   :)

That may be true but Toler being on the sidelines doesn't affect what Davis does with his man.  

If it's Cassius Vaughn or Butler being beat then I would say that the Toler injury is hurting us.  

But Davis should be solid against his man regardless.

Not necessarily.  Teams run a lot of crossing routes, WR picks, trip formations etc to try to confuse the defense.  If Vaughn does not have the same level of play recognition that Toler has then that can easily lead to confusion between the DB's on who to cover.  Manusky's playcalling could also have been affected by not having nearly as much confidence in Vaughn as he has in Toler. 

The secondary is a unit and if they don't communicate and play well as a unit then there are going to be problems.  I don't think it's any coincidence at all that the entire secondary performance began to decline when Toler went out.  

From 1975-Present, Bill Belichick has been on the offensive side of the ball 1 year:  1977 with the Detroit Lions as a TE/WR coach....

The rest of the time he has spent as Special teams Coach, Secondary Coach, LB Coach, Defensive Coordinator, Assistant Head Coach and Head Coach.

Not slammin ya relkins...just the facts.   :)

no, my mistake. I don't know why I was thinking New England. Sorry for the confusion.

Once they some decent play from the WR core the offense really started to click and put up 28 points against a very good Bengals defense.  I would call that improvement.  They knew Pep was going to be a work in progress when they hired him because he's never been a playcaller at the NFL level.  Add to the fact that he's installing a new type of offense and all the injuries on offense that the team has sustained and it should be very easy to see why the offense has been struggling.

he was never been a play caller in college either

he was never been a play caller in college either

I've never seen anything definitively stating that Shaw called the plays at Stanford and not Pep.  However, even if that were the case it still doesn't change my initial point....Grigson, Pagano and Irsay knew what they were getting when they hired him.  There was no secret file holding the vital information indicating that Pep has never been a playcaller.  Our guys knew that when they hired him and they chose to bring him in anyway.  Therefore they knew it was going to be a work in progress and no way, imo, do they give up on him after only one season...especially one season filled with as many injuries to key offensive personnel that we've had this year.