Smith and Talib

Synthetic

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was obvious that Smith and Talib are not BFFs.

In their first skirmish, a penality was called on Talib for holding Smith down by the ankle.

The second spat occured in the endzone.  It started out looking no differently than other little altercations I have seen in games.

But, it ended with Talib pulling Smith by his facemask.

There was no way the refs could have missed that as they were standing right there.

So, in my quest to better understand the game; I am asking if Talib could/should have been given a penalty for that? 

It wouldn't have affected the outcome of that drive because the Panthers went on to score a TD.  But, I was surprised that a flag wasn't thrown.

For anyone who didn't see these two little "episodes", here is a link wth a video:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/11/19/steve-smith-panthers-gets-better-of-aqib-talib-buccaneers/3637041/

Talib is overrated doesn't do well vs small fast WR's. Last year T.Y Hilton had a great game against him. He's a bad off the field guy as well glad we didn't trade for him or sign him.

You know, this is the same thing I observed. Well stated.

He can keep up well with a slightly bigger guy without much speed like an Anquan Boldin, Eric Decker, Reggie Wayne etc. but a smaller quicker guy like DJax (who caught a TD past him in the pre-season game with a Vick throw), TY,  or Steve Smith cause more issues for him. Demaryius Thomas is a rare combination, how is Talib's health after the game?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Talib is overrated doesn't do well vs small fast WR's. Last year T.Y Hilton had a great game against him. He's a bad off the field guy as well glad we didn't trade for him or sign him.

I think you could say the same thing about Richard Sherman.

To each his own. It was old school IMO. I'd take 11 Talib's on D.

Much like Rodney Harrison's cheap shots after the whistle over the years. Oh wait, he was a Pats player too!!! :)

If you are a good player, anything goes in the eyes of fans. Kudos to Colts fans who said Walden needs to be punished after his head butt. Pats colored glasses indeed. :)

Much like Rodney Harrison's cheap shots after the whistle over the years. Oh wait, he was a Pats player too!!! :)

If you are a good player, anything goes in the eyes of fans. Kudos to Colts fans who said Walden needs to be punished after his head butt. Pats colored glasses indeed. :)

I loved Rodney and he's dam good in front of the camera as well.

Talib was bested by Smith but saying he was owned is a stretch. It was a good match in a game of many. For those who say Talib has some difficulty with the small quick guys...well duh! Welcome to the party. That's always been the book on him but he goes 100% every play win or lose and that's all you can ask. 

Belichick will fix it

Not sure if he'll get a chance to... I think Talib came out of the game last night. Not sure if he re-aggravated his hip injury or what. Or maybe I missed something... at one point Gruden said he was out of the game though. 

Talib was bested by Smith but saying he was owned is a stretch. It was a good match in a game of many. For those who say Talib has some difficulty with the small quick guys...well duh! Welcome to the party. That's always been the book on him but he goes 100% every play win or lose and that's all you can ask. 

I don't know man, Smith had a lot of big catches. Up until that bomb early on it looked like the Patriots were going to hold their own against the Carolina offense. That long pass set the tone and jump-started the Panthers. 

Plus he also had at least two critical penalties called on him. He did make two deflections I think, but still... not a great game for him. Maybe not outright own-age but he clearly lost the one-on-one battle there. 

That's what I'm saying. I don't understand why people keep thinking some of our games are cakewalks.

It's called blind homerism.

It'll be a close game. Could go either way. If our offensive line does its job like Denver's did we can beat them. If Luck is running for his life while Alex Smith can play mediocre enough not to lose we'll come up short.

It's called blind homerism.

It'll be a close game. Could go either way. If our offensive line does its job like Denver's did we can beat them. If Luck is running for his life while Alex Smith can play mediocre enough not to lose we'll come up short.

Lol @blind homerism.

Im probably the furthest from a blind homer you'll find on here. Ill be sure to bump this when we win by double digits in a few weeks tho.

I don't know man, Smith had a lot of big catches. Up until that bomb early on it looked like the Patriots were going to hold their own against the Carolina offense. That long pass set the tone and jump-started the Panthers. 

Plus he also had at least two critical penalties called on him. He did make two deflections I think, but still... not a great game for him. Maybe not outright own-age but he clearly lost the one-on-one battle there.

He didn't use his head and got sucked to Smith's game for sure. Smith and Talib have the same type of mind set and I like it. Take away the dumb penalties and it would have been pretty even. Hopefully he can take something away from this game and use it on a bigger stage down the line. I would love to be a fly on the wall and listen to BB coach him up on Tuesday. I think BB is loving the challenges set before this season.

Guest TeamLoloJones

No you couldn't.

Not that he is overrated. But I have seen Sherman struggle some with smaller receivers this year, heck just last week he got beat deep by Jarius Wright..

Brady.....crying.....all the time. 

That's weird, I thought "crying" means, like, tears and whining noises. Not a lot of angry screaming and (multiple expletives deleted, lol)...  ;)

That kind of thing depends entirely upon how you view a particular player or team. One fan sees crying, while another sees an intensely competitive individual who had a right to feel robbed. I don't know what Brady was saying exactly but I did catch a couple of words, and it wasn't what my kids say when they cry! 

Lol @blind homerism.

Im probably the furthest from a blind homer you'll find on here. Ill be sure to bump this when we win by double digits in a few weeks tho.

Well, only one team has broken 20 on that defense and that's Denver.

I can see us winning 17-3 or something if we shut down their O. That's not exactly a tall order. Then again Indy has been making nobodies have career days since I can remember. Thankfully that's only periodically these days as opposed to when it was weekly before this regime.

I think If we had Reggie we could make or break Denver's 27 on them, but without him I think we'll be under 20. It'll be close.