Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Shields

He's injured. He plays more of a SS than FS and it is extremely ill advised to have two liabilities in coverage at safety. He's not ready or good enough to be a starter and he's certainly not better than Bethea. If Bethea goes it needs to be because haha Clinton-dix is wearing a horseshoe on his helmet and is ready to go, otherwise Bethea should and will be starting for the Colts

Shields would be a great #2 but I wonder if Davis can ever be consistent enough to be a #1, he is either really good or really bad from week to week.

+1 The guy has been beat for like 3 or 4 different long TD's in the last 2 games.

He was great against the Bronco's but has been horrible recently.  Does not seem consistent at all.  

+1 The guy has been beat for like 3 or 4 different long TD's in the last 2 games.

He was great against the Bronco's but has been horrible recently.  Does not seem consistent at all.  

Yip, the guy has played well, maybe a top ten type for 7 games and you write him off after a Great Andre and maybe the fastest WR in the league beats him. Plain silliness.

Bet you think Luck is accurate and a fine decision maker and he just has Receivers who suck. LOL

Yip, the guy has played well, maybe a top ten type for 7 games and you write him off after a Great Andre and maybe the fastest WR in the league beats him. Plain silliness.

Bet you think Luck is accurate and a fine decision maker and he just has Receivers who suck. LOL

Andre Johnson had been held without a TD up until we played them.  Then he beats Vontae for how many TD's? At least 2, I'm not sure if his 3rd TD was caught when Davis was matched up with him.

Luck was doing great when he had 2 receivers (Wayne and Hilton) who could get open.  Now he only has one.  

DHB drops a lot of balls that's obvious from the tape and can't be relied upon.  And it's not like Whalen or Brazil has ever been consistently explosive.  

So yeah, I'm gonna go with Luck's receivers are hurting him here.  Do I think Luck is an elite QB?  No, because an elite QB would have made gold out of lead here and he hasn't done that.  But I think he's a good QB and improving.

A lot of other QB's missing their top receivers havn't been looking too good either. 

Oline, WR, DE, OLB, ILB are all bigger needs than CB

Oline is by far the biggest priority as it should be. I would sign Alex Mack and Jon Asamoah and let Hugh Thornton and Khalid Holmes continue to develop. Receiver is up in the air. If Whalen and Rogers perform well or if the lightbulb goes off and DHB catches with his hands (not going to hold my breath, but a possibility I suppose) then it can be moved down. Ideally (for me), they would sign Doug Baldwin and draft Ty Montgomery so he has time to develop. DE has been taken care of are far as I'm aware. RJF will start on one side and Redding on the other side while they wait for Montori Hughes to develop. OLB is a spot where I'm not quite sure what to make of things. They signed Walden, drafted Werner and Mathis has his season high for sacks halfway through the season. They may draft someone like Vic Beasley in the 2nd but I would be mildly surprised if they brought in a "starter" type player in free agency. ILB, in my opinion, will be dictated by the rest of this season. If Angerer plays well (and he hasn't) then he could get resigned. I would take a flier on Rolando McClain but i'm not impressed by anyone in the draft and there isn't anyone special in free agency. Toler has been hurt and inconsistent and perhaps a better #2 corner could prevent Vontae from having such big/obvious lapses of subpar play. I would trade a 2015 3rd or conditional 2nd for Lardarius Webb but signing Sam Shields isn't a bad option either

Oline is by far the biggest priority as it should be. I would sign Alex Mack and Jon Asamoah and let Hugh Thornton and Khalid Holmes continue to develop. Receiver is up in the air. If Whalen and Rogers perform well or if the lightbulb goes off and DHB catches with his hands (not going to hold my breath, but a possibility I suppose) then it can be moved down. Ideally (for me), they would sign Doug Baldwin and draft Ty Montgomery so he has time to develop. DE has been taken care of are far as I'm aware. RJF will start on one side and Redding on the other side while they wait for Montori Hughes to develop. OLB is a spot where I'm not quite sure what to make of things. They signed Walden, drafted Werner and Mathis has his season high for sacks halfway through the season. They may draft someone like Vic Beasley in the 2nd but I would be mildly surprised if they brought in a "starter" type player in free agency. ILB, in my opinion, will be dictated by the rest of this season. If Angerer plays well (and he hasn't) then he could get resigned. I would take a flier on Rolando McClain but i'm not impressed by anyone in the draft and there isn't anyone special in free agency. Toler has been hurt and inconsistent and perhaps a better #2 corner could prevent Vontae from having such big/obvious lapses of subpar play. I would trade a 2015 3rd or conditional 2nd for Lardarius Webb but signing Sam Shields isn't a bad option either

:facepalm:  there's plenty of ilb i would take over rolando mcclain

andrew jackson

shayne skov 

yawin smallwood

max bullough

chris borland

:facepalm:  there's plenty of ilb i would take over rolando mcclain

andrew jackson

shayne skov 

yawin smallwood

max bullough

chris borland

Be honest, are any of them even close to as good of a prospect as McClain was? Do any of them have more potential than McClain? No, on top of that there is no harm on taking a flier on a potentially very good player. I'm actually glad they picked up DHB. I'm disappointed that he isn't performing well but I would have been livid if they let someone else sign him and he put it all together and was a star elsewhere. You might as well try to find a diamond in the rough.

They don't all turn franchise players but they have talent. Players don't play up to expectations for many different reasons. It could be a bad habit (DHB), lack of maturity (McClain), being incorrectly placed in a system or role (Donald Brown) or any number of things. What makes a good GM into a great GM is finding talent in less than ideal situations. There's no downside to putting all your resources into the other weakspots and turning to ILB next year if McClain doesn't work out.

Shields is a good player but he's gonna cost 7-8 mil a year. We still have to resign Davis for 6-7 mil and Toler is making 5 mil a year. Including Butler that's 23 mil tied up into CB's, too much for one position. I like the 3  CB's we have just need depth and a better pass rush will help. We have 35 mil in cap space but most of it will be spent on o-line and a Wr. There will be some good CB's available in the 3rd.

Shields is a good player but he's gonna cost 7-8 mil a year. We still have to resign Davis for 6-7 mil and Toler is making 5 mil a year. Including Butler that's 23 mil tied up into CB's, too much for one position. I like the 3  CB's we have just need depth and a better pass rush will help. We have 35 mil in cap space but most of it will be spent on o-line and a Wr. There will be some good CB's available in the 3rd.

I don't think they'll spend big money on a WR, more likely they'll use that 3rd to draft one. There is also no way that Shields makes more than Davis although they should consider it a win if they can get him for 6-7 million.

I don't think they'll spend big money on a WR, more likely they'll use that 3rd to draft one. There is also no way that Shields makes more than Davis although they should consider it a win if they can get him for 6-7 million.

I don't think Grigson wants to bring in another young WR we have too many as it is, Luck needs a proven WR with good route running. He'll go after Maclin or possibly Nicks. Shields agent is Drew Rosenhaus who last 2 contracts he bargained for was Brandon Carr and Cortland Finnegan, both getting 5 year 50 mil. Shields has been better then both and will sign no less then 5 year 55 mil.

We won't be able to pay both Davis and Shields only one of them and i would rather have Davis because he's more physical and will cost a lot less. Here's a article about how much Shields will cost.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/for-packers-price-tag-on-sam-shields-extension-keeps-growing

I don't think Grigson wants to bring in another young WR we have too many as it is, Luck needs a proven WR with good route running. He'll go after Maclin and possibly Nicks. Shields agent is Drew Rosenhaus who last 2 contracts he bargained for was Brandon Carr and Cortland Finnegan, both getting 5 year 50 mil. Shields has been better then both and will sign no less then 5 year 55 mil.

Shields may get that big of a contract but Vontae's will be even bigger then. I'd really rather not overpay for Maclin or watch Nicks continually end up with nagging injuries. I'd rather draft Ty Montgomery and get someone much cheaper in free agency like Doug Baldwin.

1. T.Y Hilton

2. Reggie Wayne

3. Doug Baldwin

4. Da'Rick Rogers

5. Ty Montgomery

6. Griff Whalen

7.Lavon Brazill

Yes, I realize that may seem like a lot but Reggie will retire and I don't see anything special in Brazill.

Shields may get that big of a contract but Vontae's will be even bigger then. I'd really rather not overpay for Maclin or watch Nicks continually end up with nagging injuries. I'd rather draft Ty Montgomery and get someone much cheaper in free agency like Doug Baldwin.

1. T.Y Hilton

2. Reggie Wayne

3. Doug Baldwin

4. Da'Rick Rogers

5. Ty Montgomery

6. Griff Whalen

7.Lavon Brazill

Yes, I realize that may seem like a lot but Reggie will retire and I don't see anything special in Brazill.

Shields contract will be a lot bigger then Vontae. Shields will get 9-10 mil a year and Vontae 6-7 a year. Reggie Wayne is 35 years old coming off a major injury he won't be the same player. Montgomery and Baldwin are small slot wr's. Luck needs a big wr with good route running and hands and Maclin and Nicks are both good at it. Nicks will command 7-8 mil a year and Maclin 6-7. Those guys are better options then Baldwin and Montgomery. I know the Wallace contract scares people but he's a one trick pony, Maclin and Nicks are both #1 wr's that can do it all.

1. T.Y           

2. Maclin or Nicks

3. Rogers/Wayne

TE: Allen,Fleener

Shields contract will be a lot bigger then Vontae. Shields will get 9-10 mil a year and Vontae 6-7 a year. Reggie Wayne is 35 years old coming off a major injury he won't be the same player. Montgomery and Baldwin are small slot wr's. Luck needs a big wr with good route running and hands and Maclin and Nicks are both good at it. Nicks will command 7-8 mil a year and Maclin 6-7. Those guys are better options then Baldwin and Montgomery.

1. T.Y           

2. Maclin or Nicks

3. Rogers/Wayne

Sam Shields isn't huge by any means but has proven hands and has played on the outside before. As far as Montgomery goes, he's slightly bigger than both Maclin and Nicks and would be on the outside.

Sam Shields isn't huge by any means but has proven hands and has played on the outside before. As far as Montgomery goes, he's slightly bigger than both Maclin and Nicks and would be on the outside.

I said Shields contract will be huge and you must be joking if you think Montgomery is better then Maclin and Nicks. Montgomery is a one trick pony, good for the deep ball but isn't a good possession wr. Montgomery will have  a lot of drops at the next level, Luck needs a possession wr like Maclin or Nicks that will consistently get open and catch the  ball over the middle

I said Shields contract will be huge and you must be joking if you think Montgomery is better then Maclin and Nicks. Montgomery is a one trick pony, good for the deep ball but isn't a good possession wr. Montgomery will have  a lot of drops at the next level, Luck needs a possession wr like Maclin or Nicks that will consistently get open and catch the  ball over the middle

I didn't mean to put Sam Shields, I meant Doug Baldwin. I never said Montgomery was better than either one of them; however, he would be better than one of those two sitting out with an injury which unfortunately is what theyre known for. If you chose Montgomery then you can spend money elsewhere and put more of your free agency resources into the o-line. You also wouldn't have to overpay big time for a receiver. Montgomery isn't just a deep threat, he's a do-it-all receiver that goes deep a lot given the offense they run at Stanford which just so happens to be the offense we run.

Shields contract will be a lot bigger then Vontae. Shields will get 9-10 mil a year and Vontae 6-7 a year. Reggie Wayne is 35 years old coming off a major injury he won't be the same player. Montgomery and Baldwin are small slot wr's. Luck needs a big wr with good route running and hands and Maclin and Nicks are both good at it. Nicks will command 7-8 mil a year and Maclin 6-7. Those guys are better options then Baldwin and Montgomery. I know the Wallace contract scares people but he's a one trick pony, Maclin and Nicks are both #1 wr's that can do it all.

1. T.Y           

2. Maclin or Nicks

3. Rogers/Wayne

Didn't know Montgomery was small.  People need to seriously get off the small speedy WR's, we have enough of them already.  

Didn't know Montgomery was small.  People need to seriously get off the small speedy WR's, we have enough of them already.  

You didn't know that because its not true. Yea, he's fast but he isn't small just because he isn't as big as Calvin Johnson. He's listed as 6'2 and 208 I believe and that's before he gets to work with an NFL team. Once he's been in the league a year or two he might end up being the size of Andre Johnson.

I think whether for better or worse our secondary is set for the next few years. I would love to have a more consistent and less injury prone number two but we cant afford to throw every last dollar at the secondary. If we found someone to trade for Toler or we cut him then that could open up a world of possibilities but that's very unlikely. I would have been ok with paying an extra 3 million to get a borderline #1 like Lardarius Webb but sometimes you have to make do with the cards you've been dealt

If there is anyway we could find a way to free up more space and get rid of some of our CB I'd go after him if we're lucky Rogers will show wat he capable of we can hold off on the WR till 2015 draft

Our major needs IMO are C G and ILB

Sign Mack

Draft an ILB or possibly sign Spikes

And Gim not sure where to go

The way I see it ( yes I have no concept of money) but here's what I think:

Sam Shields will recieve a contract in the same region as Cary Williams of about under $6 million

For Vontae, I reckon it would be around what Charles Tillman earns of about $8 million per year

Again could be very interesting with Vontae, Sam, Greg Toler, Antoine Bethea and Laron Landry in the secondary.

As far as receiver, the main reason I want Ty Montgomery in this draft is two-fold. The first is that it would give him a year of tutelage under Reggie. The second is that he is a potentially great receiver but is overlooked because he plays for Stanford. If you were to sign Shields what would you do with Toler? Butler has been a phenomenal third corner and done very well covering slot receivers. You would have to trade or cut him unless you want to pay 5 million for a third outside corner.