Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Hit On A.j. Edds

IndyD4U

If he had been clearly out of the play then it would have been a flag and possible fine. If the Bengals player had lead with his head then it would have been a flag or fine. As it was, to me it looked like a perfectly legal block and Edds was in the vicinity of the play so there was every reason to block him. :)

From what I saw it was a perfectly legal hit. As someone who has played football from pee-wee level through college I've been the lucky recipient of a few of those...as well as given some :heh: If Edds had actually seen that one coming it wouldn't have been near as bad. It's always the one's you never see that get you launched off your feet. Like the above poster's have said...Head on a swivel!!

May well have been legal, but ridiculously over-the-top. There is a difference between trying to prevent someone from making a tackle, and trying to hurt them. I derive no pleasure from nonsense like that.

But I'm clearly in the minority. How many times was the replay shown? And then on ESPN overnight they had to show it twice. Hardly any game action, but that got shown twice. Why don't we just make it like the movie rollerball - have one of the opponents yank his helmet off first, and then with any luck they can actually kill him! What fun.

Perhaps it was seeing the Dan Wheldon report not too long beforehand, but I have trouble viewing the glorification of that block as anything other than barbaric and moronic. "Getting off" on that isn't about enjoying sports. It's something much more primitive. Just not in the mood.

Football has always been a game of monster hits and folks getting blown up.

you pretty much can't hit anyone anymore. Don't get upset because someone got hit in a totally legal way just because you couldnt handle it. These players dont want these things changed. leave it be

May well have been legal, but ridiculously over-the-top. There is a difference between trying to prevent someone from making a tackle, and trying to hurt them. I derive no pleasure from nonsense like that.

But I'm clearly in the minority. How many times was the replay shown? And then on ESPN overnight they had to show it twice. Hardly any game action, but that got shown twice. Why don't we just make it like the movie rollerball - have one of the opponents yank his helmet off first, and then with any luck they can actually kill him! What fun.

Perhaps it was seeing the Dan Wheldon report not too long beforehand, but I have trouble viewing the glorification of that block as anything other than barbaric and moronic. "Getting off" on that isn't about enjoying sports. It's something much more primitive. Just not in the mood.

It is the danger of death that makes race car driving so thrilling. We're talking about a guy that drives a car at 200MPH+ for a living. No more a surprise than when the crocodile hunter was killed by a wild animal, or that guy that lived with bears was mauled to death by a bear.

The "big hit" is to be embraced nowadays as it is technically so difficult to do so within the rules. In the old days, it was easy to destroy a player. Now one must approach a hit with caution and specific technique.

Fans love big hits, that's why they keep showing it. I have no idea how many times I've seen the Clark hit on McGahee or Welker, or the Ray Lewis hit on Dustin Keller. I see nothing over the top about it

Fans love big hits, that's why they keep showing it. I have no idea how many times I've seen the Clark hit on McGahee or Welker, or the Ray Lewis hit on Dustin Keller. I see nothing over the top about it

I'm a fan, and I don't. I have no idea about the other hits you are referring to. I'm sure I saw the Clark play, but it means absolutely diddly. I remember his TD catch yesterday, but of course that's something that is actually relevant to the sport.

All the Bengal had to do was impede Edds slightly and he would have been out of the play. Instead he tried to inflict as much pain as possible. A Colt (who we are hoping can contribute at LB) ends up being evaluated for a concussion after having the back of his helmet bounced off the turf. This is a good thing, how exactly? When the guy is trying to tell his grandkids about playing football but can't because he's about an coherent as Muhammad Ali, where are you going to be? Watching the replay on an NHL network "greatest hits" segment? It doesn't matter that the players want to do it, the rules are supposed to protect them from themselves. The NFL is changing rules precisely to avoid collisions like that. He should be fined.

I honestly don't understand. Do people who enjoy watching others get hurt also slow down to stare at car accidents? I don't, I either help or responsibly get the heck out of the way. There is nothing about this aspect of human nature that should be applauded.

I'm a fan, and I don't. I have no idea about the other hits you are referring to. I'm sure I saw the Clark play, but it means absolutely diddly. I remember his TD catch yesterday, but of course that's something that is actually relevant to the sport.

All the Bengal had to do was impede Edds slightly and he would have been out of the play. Instead he tried to inflict as much pain as possible. A Colt (who we are hoping can contribute at LB) ends up being evaluated for a concussion after having the back of his helmet bounced off the turf. This is a good thing, how exactly? When the guy is trying to tell his grandkids about playing football but can't because he's about an coherent as Muhammad Ali, where are you going to be? Watching the replay on an NHL network "greatest hits" segment? It doesn't matter that the players want to do it, the rules are supposed to protect them from themselves. The NFL is changing rules precisely to avoid collisions like that. He should be fined.

I honestly don't understand. Do people who enjoy watching others get hurt also slow down to stare at car accidents? I don't, I either help or responsibly get the heck out of the way. There is nothing about this aspect of human nature that should be applauded.

We have a slight misunderstanding, it's my fault though. I meant Ryan Clark, safety for the Steelers, not Dallas Clark. Here are the hits I was talking about:

, Clark on Welker, Lewis on Keller. There are tons of big hits. When a player makes a big hit, his teammates celebrate, just watch the Ray Lewis hit and look at how his teammates celebrate. Of course, no one ever wants to see a player get hurt. That's why there wasn't much celebrating going on in the Welker and McGahee hits. If those guys didn't get hurt, like Keller, Clark would have been jumping and celebrating. For example, this clip, or
one.

Of course, the Bengals player could have done anything to impede Edds, but why give up the opportunity to make a big hit and get the attention of the coaches? Why impede him when you have the chance to make a big play? Football is a physical game. On every play, the defense is trying to hit the ball carrier as hard as they can. No one said the injuries are a good thing, but it's an exciting play and there is nothing wrong with that the Bengals player did.

The NFL made its rules to take out headshots. That play was not a headshot, it was a hit to the chest/shoulder. Do you expect the NFL to take out hits to the chest/shoulder because of the whipping motion the head makes? If they do that, players will be diving at each others' knees, possibly ending each others' seasons and careers much much faster. It's a physical sport, injuries are going to happen. It's an aggressive sport; when you have the chance to hit someone hard, you make the hit

I assure you, if Edds was in a position to put that exact same hit on the Bengals player, we'd have watched him get upended instead of Edds.

I assure you, if Edds was in a position to put that exact same hit on the Bengals player, we'd have watched him get upended instead of Edds.

We saw Brackett do that exact thing earlier this year when someone got an interception. On that play though, the player Brackett blocked was no where near the play so Brackett was flagged.

We have a slight misunderstanding, it's my fault though. I meant Ryan Clark, safety for the Steelers, not Dallas Clark. Here are the hits I was talking about:

, Clark on Welker, Lewis on Keller. There are tons of big hits. When a player makes a big hit, his teammates celebrate, just watch the Ray Lewis hit and look at how his teammates celebrate. Of course, no one ever wants to see a player get hurt. That's why there wasn't much celebrating going on in the Welker and McGahee hits. If those guys didn't get hurt, like Keller, Clark would have been jumping and celebrating. For example, this clip, or
one.

Of course, the Bengals player could have done anything to impede Edds, but why give up the opportunity to make a big hit and get the attention of the coaches? Why impede him when you have the chance to make a big play? Football is a physical game. On every play, the defense is trying to hit the ball carrier as hard as they can. No one said the injuries are a good thing, but it's an exciting play and there is nothing wrong with that the Bengals player did.

The NFL made its rules to take out headshots. That play was not a headshot, it was a hit to the chest/shoulder. Do you expect the NFL to take out hits to the chest/shoulder because of the whipping motion the head makes? If they do that, players will be diving at each others' knees, possibly ending each others' seasons and careers much much faster. It's a physical sport, injuries are going to happen. It's an aggressive sport; when you have the chance to hit someone hard, you make the hit

I wasn't going to let a little thing like Clark never being on the field at the same time as McGahee get in the way of my argument. :) Frankly I saw Clark and jumped. Doesn't really matter.

While I appreciate your taking the time to post the links, as I said I really have no interest in watching them. I've seen countless hits. I understand the players mentality, and I realize that when someone actually succeeds in injuring someone they usually express concern and regret. I'm just suggesting that an effort should be made to protect them from themselves, so perhaps the regret won't be necessary.

I understand that a lot of the NFL rules relate to headshots, but they also have rules about hitting defenseless players. I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets reviewed. I'm not suggesting that hits to the chest be outlawed - that would obviously be ridiculous. What I'm suggesting is that any obvious intent to injure should be discouraged. I realize that it's subjective, but so are many things about the game. Think about it this way. Hockey is considered to be an even more intentionally violent game than football, and even fighting is all but encouraged - but the odd hit will occasionally be considered by the authorities for an assault prosecution. It goes to intent. Are you trying to play football, or are you trying to injure someone.

I wasn't going to let a little thing like Clark never being on the field at the same time as McGahee get in the way of my argument. :) Frankly I saw Clark and jumped. Doesn't really matter.

While I appreciate your taking the time to post the links, as I said I really have no interest in watching them. I've seen countless hits. I understand the players mentality, and I realize that when someone actually succeeds in injuring someone they usually express concern and regret. I'm just suggesting that an effort should be made to protect them from themselves, so perhaps the regret won't be necessary.

I understand that a lot of the NFL rules relate to headshots, but they also have rules about hitting defenseless players. I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets reviewed. I'm not suggesting that hits to the chest be outlawed - that would obviously be ridiculous. What I'm suggesting is that any obvious intent to injure should be discouraged. I realize that it's subjective, but so are many things about the game. Think about it this way. Hockey is considered to be an even more intentionally violent game than football, and even fighting is all but encouraged - but the odd hit will occasionally be considered by the authorities for an assault prosecution. It goes to intent. Are you trying to play football, or are you trying to injure someone.

it was unnecessary roughness, he should have got a flag, unnecessary roughness occurs when a player could have made the block without the over application of force he used.

it was unnecessary roughness, he should have got a flag, unnecessary roughness occurs when a player could have made the block without the over application of force he used.

Football is a game of "violent collisions". Players are smashing into each other at full speed on EVERY SINGLE PLAY. The fault was on Edds for not keeping his head on a swivel. Like I said earlier, if he would have seen it coming, he would have had time to brace himself and it wouldn't have been near as bad. There was no reason what-so-ever for a flag on that block let alone a fine. If any of you can't handle the hits, maybe you should watch soccer...where the players flop around like they've just been shot at the slightest contact. :facepalm:

And let me say this as well...like I said earlier I played football from pee-wee through the college level. Most of the time on a block like that, where the other player is not even looking, you hardly have to apply any force at all to send them flying. They're not looking and they are off-balance as well. A lot of the time when I had the opportunity to throw a block like that...it felt like I had hardly even touched the guy. Have your "guy" at practice hit up the referees to see what they can do about it :thmup: Sorry couldn't resist...just pokin a little fun lol. But what I said is true though. That was a clean play...and any football player who has been there will tell you the same thing...including Edds...once he finally comes back out of orbit!

Don't get upset because someone got hit in a totally legal way just because you couldnt handle it.

If any of you can't handle the hits, maybe you should watch soccer...where the players flop around like they've just been shot at the slightest contact. :facepalm:

"Can't handle it"? Your facepalm is spot on - just pointed in the wrong direction.

Perhaps you gentlemen consider "watching people hurt each other on television" to be a special talent that only the hardy can master. I assure you that it's not all that. How about working on other skills, like recognizing that sometimes the things that bring pleasure are too damaging to justify them. I know that you can "handle" watching TV - regardless of the cost to you in somebody else's blood, sweat and tears - but can you "handle" trying to do the right thing? It's much harder, and much more worthy of respect.

"Can't handle it"? Your facepalm is spot on - just pointed in the wrong direction.

Perhaps you gentlemen consider "watching people hurt each other on television" to be a special talent that only the hardy can master. I assure you that it's not all that. How about working on other skills, like recognizing that sometimes the things that bring pleasure are too damaging to justify them. I know that you can "handle" watching TV - regardless of the cost to you in somebody else's blood, sweat and tears - but can you "handle" trying to do the right thing? It's much harder, and much more worthy of respect.

Many of us subject ourselves to violence for sport, it is our nature. Thusly, watching others subject themselves to violence is also rewarding. I rode BMX bikes for 20 years and subjected myself to unending violent punishment. My personal list of injuries includes 7 ankle sprains, a broken toe, a broken pinky finger, two fractured teeth, thousands of cuts/abrasions and lacerations that required stitches, several minor concussions, 2 black eyes, a broken rib and nerve damage to my forearm to name a few. To this day I hate that I'm too old and broken to continue. I would do it all over again, I loved every bit of it. The thrill was testing my physical limitations and fortitude.

Appreciate that this is what NFL players sign up for. Edds would be ticked to hear your sympathy for him. He most likely wears that wallop as a badge, his right of passage. Same goes for Eric Foster. Even Wheldon, whom coddled the grim reaper everytime he decided it was his calling to drive a fragile car at 220 MPH right next to 30 other drivers.

Many of us subject ourselves to violence for sport, it is our nature. Thusly, watching others subject themselves to violence is also rewarding. I rode BMX bikes for 20 years and subjected myself to unending violent punishment. My personal list of injuries includes 7 ankle sprains, a broken toe, a broken pinky finger, two fractured teeth, thousands of cuts/abrasions and lacerations that required stitches, several minor concussions, 2 black eyes, a broken rib and nerve damage to my forearm to name a few. To this day I hate that I'm too old and broken to continue. I would do it all over again, I loved every bit of it. The thrill was testing my physical limitations and fortitude.

Appreciate that this is what NFL players sign up for. Edds would be ticked to hear your sympathy for him. He most likely wears that wallop as a badge, his right of passage. Same goes for Eric Foster. Even Wheldon, whom coddled the grim reaper everytime he decided it was his calling to drive a fragile car at 220 MPH right next to 30 other drivers.

I appreciate your more reasoned (and hard earned) perspective.

I appreciate your more reasoned (and hard earned) perspective.

...and to that end I think its lame that others are painting you as a sissy for objecting to the overt violence. I laugh when I hear old timers blather on about how they'd clothesline defenseless receivers and purposely target players legs like it was somehow cute to cripple people. There is a happy medium here, and I think the NFL has done well to put a stop to much of it. I think they're over the top with protecting the QB, but in many areas they protect players which provides a higher quality for us, the fans. If they did not, many of the best players wouldn't make it 3 years in a no-holds-barred league.

...and to that end I think its lame that others are painting you as a sissy for objecting to the overt violence. I laugh when I hear old timers blather on about how they'd clothesline defenseless receivers and purposely target players legs like it was somehow cute to cripple people. There is a happy medium here, and I think the NFL has done well to put a stop to much of it. I think they're over the top with protecting the QB, but in many areas they protect players which provides a higher quality for us, the fans. If they did not, many of the best players wouldn't make it 3 years in a no-holds-barred league.

Exactly. I don't respect "macho" posturing. I've had my moments, taken ridiculous risks for the sake of a thrill, and lost a little blood on occasion. I've been tackled many a time - often by people substantially larger than myself - and it didn't phase me in the slightest. Pain can be satisfying, and cuts and bruises worn with pride. I don't begrudge the players their satisfaction.

On the other hand the web is filled with video of fatal car accidents, and not everyone enjoying those football hits shares your perspective. People tend to be fascinated by horrible things happening to other people, and those things add nothing to the quality of the sport in question - be it football, auto racing, or anything else. I view those impulses (akin to slowing down at an accident) to be parts of human nature that we have no reason to be proud of.

Edds got up and walked away after that hit. It was a good, clean football hit. He was not injured, he didn't break anything or get mangled in a car wreck or anything gruesome like that. I was not acting like a tough guy in my posts, merely stating my experiences as to that type of situation. The soccer comment was quite simple really. Just like with all TV programs...some content may not be appropriate for all viewers. If you do not enjoy watching guys smash into each other over and over than maybe football is not the sport you should be watching and you should just change the channel.

How ironic though that you deride us for enjoying a game where people hit each other...and there you are watching the exact same thing.

And what is this "right thing" that you speak of as it pertains to watching football? So I'm not supposed to enjoy this game because somebody actually got hit? Which is part of the game I might add? There's more to football than people just getting hit you know. I watch for the defensive and offensive gameplans, how they scheme to outsmart each other, amazing catches and runs, and some gutsy defense. I enjoy watching all aspects of it. It's just a game there guy, I watch the game and then go about my business. It's not like I a turn into a caveman and start bludgeoning people to death just because I enjoy seeing some big hits. The moral high ground you're trying to take here is not that high fella. If big hits bother you that much than maybe you just need to watch something else.

Edited by Truebluefan85

I was not acting like a tough guy in my posts, merely stating my experiences as to that type of situation. The soccer comment was quite simple really. Just like with all TV programs...some content may not be appropriate for all viewers. If you do not enjoy watching guys smash into each other over and over than maybe football is not the sport you should be watching and you should just change the channel.

How ironic though that you deride us for enjoying a game where people hit each other...and there you are watching the exact same thing.

You have now for a second time clearly stated that you think that the issue is that some people can't handle "it", insulting me in the process. Isn't the implication that you think that you are a real man, and I'm not? How do you expect me to respond to that? This is a Colts forum. Do you think that my 600+ posts here reflect a secret desire to knit and play with dolls?

I'm a lifelong fan of many sports - violent and otherwise. However COMPETITION is the key, not violence for it's own right. And just like I can't let your comments go, I like to WIN. THOSE are the parts of human nature that are best reflected in sport - not the desire to inflict pain. Even with boxing (which I have no problem with) the sole goal is to win. They don't give extra points for kidney shots, groin shots and head butting, they penalize you for it.

Here is the fundamental difference for you. Some people are fans of the '70s Montreal Canadiens - all about speed, intelligence, discipline, and brilliant natural talent which elevated the game to an art form. Some people are fans of the '70s Philly Flyers - all about size, strength, brute force, and doing their best to put the other teams most talented players in the hospital. You can probably guess which style I prefer, and I can probably guess which style you prefer - but we are both enjoying the same sport. And at the same time the Flyers fans were equally proud of the deft skill of Clarke and MacLeish, and the Canadiens fans were equally proud of the fact that no-one in the league even had the courage to challenge Larry Robinson. Lines blur and emotions run high - it's all good. Bu they change the rules to discourage Flyers type behavior for numerous valid reasons.

My underlying point has always been that "intent to injure" has no place in sport. For one thing - as ruksak pointed out - it inevitably results in people leaving the field. Is that one exiting play worth not seeing several hundred other plays by a favored performer? What if it's Peyton, Reggie, Dallas or Pierre on the receiving end? Would you say "Wow, it's too bad that Freeneys' leg was severed at the knee, and that the Colts will have no chance of holding an opponent under 30 points for the next several years - but I really don't care because, MAN, that was a righteous hit WOOOOOOOweeeeeEEE - now where did I put that case of Bud light". Sorry, but I actually prefer the players on the field, not in the hospital. They aren't fighting a war, they are playing a game.

You have now for a second time clearly stated that you think that the issue is that some people can't handle "it", insulting me in the process. Isn't the implication that you think that you are a real man, and I'm not? How do you expect me to respond to that? This is a Colts forum. Do you think that my 600+ posts here reflect a secret desire to knit and play with dolls?

I'm a lifelong fan of many sports - violent and otherwise. However COMPETITION is the key, not violence for it's own right. And just like I can't let your comments go, I like to WIN. THOSE are the parts of human nature that are best reflected in sport - not the desire to inflict pain. Even with boxing (which I have no problem with) the sole goal is to win. They don't give extra points for kidney shots, groin shots and head butting, they penalize you for it.

Here is the fundamental difference for you. Some people are fans of the '70s Montreal Canadiens - all about speed, intelligence, discipline, and brilliant natural talent which elevated the game to an art form. Some people are fans of the '70s Philly Flyers - all about size, strength, brute force, and doing their best to put the other teams most talented players in the hospital. You can probably guess which style I prefer, and I can probably guess which style you prefer - but we are both enjoying the same sport. And at the same time the Flyers fans were equally proud of the deft skill of Clarke and MacLeish, and the Canadiens fans were equally proud of the fact that no-one in the league even had the courage to challenge Larry Robinson. Lines blur and emotions run high - it's all good. Bu they change the rules to discourage Flyers type behavior for numerous valid reasons.

My underlying point has always been that "intent to injure" has no place in sport. For one thing - as ruksak pointed out - it inevitably results in people leaving the field. Is that one exiting play worth not seeing several hundred other plays by a favored performer? What if it's Peyton, Reggie, Dallas or Pierre on the receiving end? Would you say "Wow, it's too bad that Freeneys' leg was severed at the knee, and that the Colts will have no chance of holding an opponent under 30 points for the next several years - but I really don't care because, MAN, that was a righteous hit WOOOOOOOweeeeeEEE - now where did I put that case of Bud light". Sorry, but I actually prefer the players on the field, not in the hospital. They aren't fighting a war, they are playing a game.

I'm still not quite sure what point you're trying to make here. The fact of the matter is this...it was a clean hit...in no way shape or form did I see an "intent to injure" on that hit...it was a clean block, nothing more, nothing less. He led with his shoulder into the chest...not helmet to helmet. Find me one NFL player who says he goes out there and tries to injure opposing players. I'm speaking from experience. I have not played with ONE person who has ever said that. If Edds' head had been turned to see the block coming it still would have been a good one. Blocks like this happen EVERY SINGLE GAME.

You think you know me by four posts that I have made...if that's the case maybe I should be paying you for an hour's time each week so you can tell me more about me that I don't know. I'll just leave it at this because I can see there is no way that we will come to an agreement on this issue. You watch the game your way...and I'll watch it mine. I saw a good block...you saw an intent to injure. To each his own I suppose. And please...your post count in no way shape or form contributes to this discussion.

Btw, I like Coors Light :drink: