Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Hit On A.j. Edds

IndyD4U

Yeah, kinda sleazy wasn't it. Buuut, so was 'the shot'.....

These special teams guys are taught, its beaten through their heads, if they wanna catch the attention of the coaches then they are to "blow up" on blocks. I assure you, I'd bet my right hand, that the coaches patted him heartily on the back for that strike. Don't blame the player, blame the game.

Don't blame the player, blame the game.

Freeney wouldn't do it, and he has had a zillion opportunities. Matter of fact that's how he hurt himself year before last, pulled up on a 'death shot' on a QB, stepped on his foot and turned his ankle. It's the player. Some are class, some are punks.

I'm still not quite sure what point you're trying to make here. The fact of the matter is this...it was a clean hit...in no way shape or form did I see an "intent to injure" on that hit...it was a clean block, nothing more, nothing less. He led with his shoulder into the chest...not helmet to helmet. Find me one NFL player who says he goes out there and tries to injure opposing players. I'm speaking from experience. I have not played with ONE person who has ever said that. If Edds' head had been turned to see the block coming it still would have been a good one. Blocks like this happen EVERY SINGLE GAME.

You think you know me by four posts that I have made...if that's the case maybe I should be paying you for an hour's time each week so you can tell me more about me that I don't know. I'll just leave it at this because I can see there is no way that we will come to an agreement on this issue. You watch the game your way...and I'll watch it mine. I saw a good block...you saw an intent to injure. To each his own I suppose. And please...your post count in no way shape or form contributes to this discussion.

Btw, I like Coors Light :drink:

Clearly the fundamental difference in our opinions is that you think it was a clean hit with no ill intent, and I think that he used unnecessary and excessive force. Opinions being what they are, there is little else that needs to be said about that - nor should there have been in the first place.

Please understand that the rest of this conversation largely stems from you (and a second poster) suggesting that "If any of you can't handle the hits, maybe you should watch soccer...where the players flop around like they've just been shot at the slightest contact. :facepalm:". That's pretty inflammatory.

I don't presume to know you or anybody else on this forum - other than we are all serious football fans. And I'm not suggesting that my post count reflects anything other than a willingness to waste absurd amounts of time on a football forum. But perhaps you might infer from all that that I can "handle" football just fine - and that therefore perhaps there was a little more depth to my comments than that which you chose to lampoon. You were welcome to address the issue I raised, not to take personal shots.

Freeney wouldn't do it, and he has had a zillion opportunities. Matter of fact that's how he hurt himself year before last, pulled up on a 'death shot' on a QB, stepped on his foot and turned his ankle. It's the player. Some are class, some are punks.

The NFL finedCedric Peerman $20,000.00 for his"illegal blindside block" on A.J. Guess that answers that question.

The NFL finedCedric Peerman $20,000.00 for his"illegal blindside block" on A.J. Guess that answers that question.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/10/21/2505664/cedric-peerman-fined-for-illegal-hit

When watching the replay, it was obvious that Peerman blindsided the defender, but it was questionable as to where the hit was on the defender. It looked as if Peerman got most of his shoulder pad area, but it was possible that he also hit the defender in the side of the helmet--a hit which is deemed illegal.

Well, the NFL has decided to fine Peerman $20,000 for this block, deeming it an "illegal blindside block". This is a huge chunk of change for a player like Peerman who is the fourth string running back and a special teams player. This has been a point of contention amongst NFL fans and players against the league. The amount of fines may be the same amount of dollars for players, but it isn't equivalent between fined players' contract amounts.

Sounds like the only point of contention and the reason for the fine was the determination that he hit Edds on the Helmet. I believe this is yet another example of being outside the spirit of the rule. Edds concussion wasn't the result of a hit to the helmet, but rather Edds head hitting the turf. We're seeing even when players use their shoulder, the helmet often bobs and moves causing contact, which is bringing too many phony penalties.

He was completely demolished on what appeared to be a helmet to helmet hit. It'll be interesting to see if the league passes down a fine as there should be one. I was surprised to see him get up after taking that one.

He might have gotten up but now he is banged up and not practicing. I hope he isnt another nonsense.

http://www.cincyjung...for-illegal-hit

Sounds like the only point of contention and the reason for the fine was the determination that he hit Edds on the Helmet. I believe this is yet another example of being outside the spirit of the rule. Edds concussion wasn't the result of a hit to the helmet, but rather Edds head hitting the turf. We're seeing even when players use their shoulder, the helmet often bobs and moves causing contact, which is bringing too many phony penalties.

on a side note I 100% agree with what was said about the amount of the fine. IMO the fine should be determined by the player's salary. How is it fair to fine a 4th string guy the same amount you would a multi-year starter? This is one thing that definitely needs to be looked at, imo.

on a side note I 100% agree with what was said about the amount of the fine. IMO the fine should be determined by the player's salary. How is it fair to fine a 4th string guy the same amount you would a multi-year starter? This is one thing that definitely needs to be looked at, imo.

Absolutely. It should be done on a percentage scale. A guy like Revis makes 20k just putting his shoes on for the game, while a 4th stinger on a one year deal is taking a huge loss. I can't believe this wasn't addressed in the contract talks.

Absolutely. It should be done on a percentage scale. A guy like Revis makes 20k just putting his shoes on for the game, while a 4th stinger on a one year deal is taking a huge loss. I can't believe this wasn't addressed in the contract talks.

Revis, then, if applicable, should be fined 100,000k?

It was a clean big hit, the NFL is getting too severe on these hits. 20,000$ is too harsh, what has Cedric Peerman done that's illegal? Nothing. Watch in 2021 when the CBA expires, they're going to change this league to touch football. It's disgusting what the NFL is doing... even though AJ is a Colt, and I love every Colt except Lacey and Link, I don't think that was a dirty hit. Bad call Roger

Revis, then, if applicable, should be fined 100,000k?

No. It seems unfair for a guy to lose 7% of his pay when another player for the same infraction would lose only .8% of his pay. Especially when you consider that this was a guy trying to make a name for himself on special teams and he could be cut at anytime to make room on the roster. What I'm saying is that it seems fair for there to be a percentage scale attached to fines as opposed to a base amount. Some guys make in excess of a hundred million dollars in their career, while others won't make but a million.

The fine was bunk. The fans like big, clean hits and Godell is making things too vanilla.

Last week Bengal hit on Edds causing concussion gets fined

Bengal fined for hit

Cincinnati Bengals running back
Cedric Peerman
delivered a hit while covering a punt in last Sunday's win over the Colts that resulted in backup
A.J. Edds
suffering a concussion.

The hit cost Peerman $20,000. A league spokesman confirmed the NFL fined him for an illegal blindside block.

Edds, a Greenwood High School standout, likely will miss Sunday night's game. He did not practice this week.