Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hamilton going to use Richardson in different Schemes

CS Colts Fan

found on Rotoworld....

good news... I think this will definitely help..

Colts OC Pep Hamilton admitted he has not been satisfied with his usage of Trent Richardson, and reexamined it during the Week 8 bye.

The Colts have been banging Richardson between the tackles behind poor run blockers, with very little success. It's promising that Hamilton recognizes the issues. "I have to do a better job of finding ways to get Trent out in space," Hamilton said. "I have to do a better job coming up with schemes that not only give our offensive line a chance to be successful, but of course create holes for Trent and create schemes that complement his wealth of talent. That's one of the things that we spent time as an offensive staff looking at during the bye week." Because Richardson's perceived value is so low at the moment, he's worth targeting in trades on the cheap. He's still going to get the ball a lot in a productive offense, and has a chance to pay serious stretch-run dividends for forward-thinking fantasy owners.

We should use reverses & double reverses more. We have way too much speed on this team to not be trying things out like that.

Screens as well. Now that the WR corp consists primarily of burners with not much experience, I would wager to guess we see more inventive ways to get the ball to them out in space.

Remember that drive at the end of the last game of the season last year?  The game Houston needed, and we didn't?

We held the ball for most of the fourth Q, icing the game.  Even though we didn't score, it was one of my favorite drives of the year.

I know everyone wants to see TRich in space and running from pass formations.  So do I.

But I'd also love to see them run right at Watt, over and over and over and...

Remember that drive at the end of the last game of the season last year? The game Houston needed, and we didn't?

We held the ball for most of the fourth Q, icing the game. Even though we didn't score, it was one of my favorite drives of the year.

I know everyone wants to see TRich in space and running from pass formations. So do I.

But I'd also love to see them run right at Watt, over and over and over and...

Thats a terrible idea. Watt is their best run defender. The best place to run at the Texans D is at their NT, between the tackles.

Thats a terrible idea. Watt is their best run defender. The best place to run at the Texans D is at their NT, between the tackles.

You're missing the point, you drive it at him and over him.  You don't run away from their best defender, that's his strength.  You wear him out. 

That drive that I talked about last year, they effectively took him out of the game.  By the end of the drive he was sitting on the sidelines watching us finish the game.

I apologize in advance for the nature of this post.....

But having seen the story linked by the OP, I just wanted to note that one of my favorite posters here (I can't remember exactly who)  has noted recently that the Colts have misused TR...   that our offensive plays for him are completely predictable which makes opposing defenses that much harder to run against...   and makes the job of the defense to blow-up our OL much, much easier, and all in all,  makes TRich much less effective.

The poster said he hoped that Pep and the coaching staff would use the bye-week to re-examine what we do with our offense and try to come up with a better and less predictable approach for how we use TRich....

Glad to see this is apparently coming to pass....   I mean run...    I mean....    well....   you know what I mean!!       :thmup:

Looking forward to seeing a new and improved Trent Richardson 2.0 this Sunday and beyond!!

I apologize in advance for the nature of this post.....

But having seen the story linked by the OP, I just wanted to note that one of my favorite posters here (I can't remember exactly who)  has noted recently that the Colts have misused TR...   that our offensive plays for him are completely predictable which makes opposing defenses that much harder to run against...   and makes the job of the defense to blow-up our OL much, much easier, and all in all,  makes TRich much less effective.

The poster said he hoped that Pep and the coaching staff would use the bye-week to re-examine what we do with our offense and try to come up with a better and less predictable approach for how we use TRich....

Glad to see this is apparently coming to pass....   I mean run...    I mean....    well....   you know what I mean!!       :thmup:

Looking forward to seeing a new and improved Trent Richardson 2.0 this Sunday and beyond!!

Im hoping for Richardson 4.0 lol

Well good. I hope Trent can explode this week and from here on out. He and Brown both running well will definitely make the play action work a lot better.

Right-- I loved how we used Donald in the Broncos game. It was reminiscent of how the Patriots used Kevin Faulk. He was split out more than once in that game and it worked well. Now that Reggie's gone, we may have continued success running packages like that.

One run for 95 yards and Richardson is sporting a 4.0 average for the season. :)

He has the speed for it and athleticism but dont think the stamina to go 95 yards without being caught probably at the halfway point, Im hoping for the absolute best for him and the team but I dont think this will have as great an impact as some may think, will it have some positive impact? I think so but only if Richarson improves his decision making with the ball in his hands

He has the speed for it and athleticism but dont think the stamina to go 95 yards without being caught probably at the halfway point, Im hoping for the absolute best for him and the team but I dont think this will have as great an impact as some may think, will it have some positive impact? I think so but only if Richarson improves his decision making with the ball in his hands

I am not concerned like most people are about Richardson. I believe he will become a big productive part of our offense soon. But I did not expect big things at first. He did not spend the off-season with us and he is thinking too much right now. He has only been in the league for 20 something games and he has had 3 different offensive coordinators, with 3 different systems to learn. 

It is just a matter of time before we start to see threads that boast about how good we have it with Trent Richardson in the backfield. 

It doesn't matter because Trich sucks and is a pansy. I would just obliterate the guy on the field.

Yes, if you can't tell this is sarcasm you need to officially be banned from the face of the planet. haha

Good to see Pep come out and make statements regarding matter and I have some confidence in him he will make the appropriate corrections. Am I expecting anything insane? No.....

Patience is a virtue.....

I like that idea, however, defenses are so fast nowadays, that it rarely works.

But we could at least try them. Like if we go up 13-0 on the Texans Sunday night, why not try a reverse on 1st down. As fast as our guys are it could be a big play. Most yards we'd lose would probably be like 2-3 since our starting WR core all run a 4.4 or better

It doesn't matter because Trich sucks and is a pansy. I would just obliterate the guy on the field.

Yes, if you can't tell this is sarcasm you need to officially be banned from the face of the planet. haha

Good to see Pep come out and make statements regarding matter and I have some confidence in him he will make the appropriate corrections. Am I expecting anything insane? No.....

Patience is a virtue.....

I like the fact that this is his 1st year here in the big leagues and he's already realizing what he needs to change. It's veteran coaches out here in the NFL that's been using their same system since day one & can't figure out why it's not working haha

I think with Pep there are going to be some growing pains as in trying to do some things that worked in college and trying to fit the players into a system and I think gradually he will modify the system more to fit the players. Nobody needs modifications to the system more than Richardson. Fleener has also been an underused talent and Pep better get that figured out as well. Somebody posted earlier in the season a recap of some of the routes that Fleener was asked to run in one game (all little crosses and delayed crosses) and now Fleener must be used in routes to threaten the defense (it's sink or swim time now).

But we could at least try them. Like if we go up 13-0 on the Texans Sunday night, why not try a reverse on 1st down. As fast as our guys are it could be a big play. Most yards we'd lose would probably be like 2-3 since our starting WR core all run a 4.4 or better

I'm not saying don't try it, its just hard to pull off..esp with a super fast, disciplined team like Houston..

I'm not saying don't try it, its just hard to pull off..esp with a super fast, disciplined team like Houston..

Eh, I think we could pull it off. Line DHB or Ty Hilton out wide right where JJ Watt is. Bring them in motion, hike the ball and toss it to whoever was out wide which would get JJ Watt running down the line of scrimmage then flip it back to whoever was lined up out left and it'll run right pass JJ Watt. Ed Reed too old to be chasing down plays like that now haha

Noone on our O-Line is having Impressive games run blocking. A commitment to establish a run game,

Pep has been getting it on tape, having them work on it, now with enough info to see their physical and mental limitations.
I`m feel certain he shakes his head a lot and that these guys make him want to hurl.

With Andrew still somewhat out of time with his receivers (less so with Reggie), Pep has a lot on his plate figuring how to get the most out of his assets. Basically, Andrew will have to continue to play beyond his experience and Carry this team.

There is nothing Andrew can`t do, but as he knows, he must not have turnovers.

This adaption without Reggie is going to be difficult because our current weapons will keep dropping some important balls causing change of possesion. No since grading it for at least 3 games.

I expect them to come around quick because of All things Colts. Character, hard work, Leadership, Attitude, Coaching, Andrew. No Fear!

Noone on our O-Line is having Impressive games run blocking. A commitment to establish a run game,

Pep has been getting it on tape, having them work on it, now with enough info to see their physical and mental limitations.

I`m feel certain he shakes his head a lot and that these guys make him want to hurl.

With Andrew still somewhat out of time with his receivers (less so with Reggie), Pep has a lot on his plate figuring how to get the most out of his assets. Basically, Andrew will have to continue to play beyond his experience and Carry this team.

There is nothing Andrew can`t do, but as he knows, he must not have turnovers.

This adaption without Reggie is going to be difficult because our current weapons will keep dropping some important balls causing change of possesion. No since grading it for at least 3 games.

I expect them to come around quick because of All things Colts. Character, hard work, Leadership, Attitude, Coaching, Andrew. No Fear!

Go back and watch Anthony Castonzo if you can, he is consistently opening up wide holes for Richardson to run through f Richardson sees them open, Cherilus is doing pretty good with that to, we wouldn't be tied for 9th in the league in yards rushing a game if we weren't opening holes