Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson is a stud when we use him properly...

jshipp23

I am sick and tired of biting my tongue and seeing all this garbage thrown at Richardson's direction...First off, when we keep running goal line offense when we are nowhere near the goal line and they stack 8 or 9 guys in the box because it's so obvious you could put Adrian Peterson or Bo Jackson back there for that matter, and they are gonna only get 2 yards..He doesn't need a fullback it just slows him down hinders his vision and prevents him from getting a head of steam...In the second half of the Seahawks game I think Pep started to see the light and ran him in 3-WR sets as a single back he started ripping off good gains and showed the power and burst...We need to quit using power formations unless we are in short yardage situations and that's why we keep getting off to slow starts...It is STUPID to keep TY HILTON off the field in favor of a fullback it just makes us predictable and takes the explosion out of our offense...I guarantee you if Richardson is used the way Edgerrin was used he will start getting the 100 yard games and the YPC will go up...He is an elite back and you will all see that soon if Pep gives up on the "fullback experiment".....We need to run an uptempo offense with the personnel we have PERIOD....It's nice to know we can run the power game when we need it , but to keep TY off the field and stack the box against Richardson makes no sense and only slows us down...It's not that hard to correct and I hope they figure it out in time for Monday night..

I am sick and tired of biting my tongue and seeing all this garbage thrown at Richardson's direction...First off, when we keep running goal line offense when we are nowhere near the goal line and they stack 8 or 9 guys in the box because it's so obvious you could put Adrian Peterson or Bo Jackson back there for that matter, and they are gonna only get 2 yards..He doesn't need a fullback it just slows him down hinders his vision and prevents him from getting a head of steam...In the second half of the Seahawks game I think Pep started to see the light and ran him in 3-WR sets as a single back he started ripping off good gains and showed the power and burst...We need to quit using power formations unless we are in short yardage situations and that's why we keep getting off to slow starts...It is STUPID to keep TY HILTON off the field in favor of a fullback it just makes us predictable and takes the explosion out of our offense...I guarantee you if Richardson is used the way Edgerrin was used he will start getting the 100 yard games and the YPC will go up...He is an elite back and you will all see that soon if Pep gives up on the "fullback experiment".....We need to run an uptempo offense with the personnel we have PERIOD....It's nice to know we can run the power game when we need it , but to keep TY off the field and stack the box against Richardson makes no sense and only slows us down...It's not that hard to correct and I hope they figure it out in time for Monday night..

I'd like to see less of the fullback too. While Havili is out anyway.

We looked good without a FB against the Seahawks.

I'd like to see less of the fullback too. While Havili is out anyway.

We looked good without a FB against the Seahawks.

^^^^^^This.

Dom Jones can catch and block as a TE, but his blocking as a FB is awful.  Robert Hughes was bad too...and now he is gone.

T-Rich is going to get a breakaway run one of these days after flattening a corner "Just to say he did."  :)  Keep running hard young man!!!  The sky is the limit! :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!

I find myself in the awkward position of wanting to agree with you, but most of your posts have been so "blind squirrel gone nutty" that it is difficult to do... oh what the heck... I agree with this post, anyway.

who is throwing garbage Richardson's way?  I haven't seen it and i'm on this board every day.  While he doesn't have the best ypc he has had average to bad olines in front of him.  He does his job which is to get people to commit more to the box which allows luck better match-ups on the outside.  He also knows how to pick up a blitz unlike brown.  

I do agree that we need more TY but it would be ignorant to start the game out in these sets flinging the ball everywhere.  This isn't Peyton's Colts anymore, we are smashmouth over finesse.

Sorry to burst your bubble but we are a power running team first which helps protect Luck because our line is average at best. 

Edge also had a better line in front of him creating holes and running lanes.  

Preach brother

I think Havilli is pretty good and using a FB worked well with Bradshaw as the RB but now Bradshaw is on IR. Colts should play to TRich's strengths , which happens to get Hilton more involved, makes use of the 1 good TE that's available, and gives Luck many more play choices at the line. They can still be as balanced as before. Just because they'd use formations that remind us of the PM era doesn't mean they would be a finesse team. Actually it could be very similar to the offense style the Colts used in their SB run (2006).

I find myself in the awkward position of wanting to agree with you, but most of your posts have been so "blind squirrel gone nutty" that it is difficult to do... oh what the heck... I agree with this post, anyway.

What like preaching the need for another back before the draft and saying with a high caliber RB it would only open things up for Luck??? We acquired Bradshaw and traded for Richardson....For saying Bernard and Lacy were gonna be good??? They look pretty good..For saying Matt Schaub is terrible?? He is terrible? For questioning our coaches?? I still question the coaches, but the talent Grigson brought in is winning despite the coaches...For saying Teo' was a was gonna be a bust?? He hasn't done anything?? Sure I go out on a limb sometimes out of frustration or boredom, but many things I say are true and I admit many things I've said were wrong as well...

I don't buy the FB hurting him bit. Barry Sander's best season was with a FB in front of him after something like 8 seasons of spread sets and single back formations. I would attribute those lapses more to execution by the entire offense. I don't really disagree with anything else that was said though.

What like preaching the need for another back before the draft and saying with a high caliber RB it would only open things up for Luck??? We acquired Bradshaw and traded for Richardson....For saying Bernard and Lacy were gonna be good??? They look pretty good..For saying Matt Schaub is terrible?? He is terrible? For questioning our coaches?? I still question the coaches, but the talent Grigson brought in is winning despite the coaches...For saying Teo' was a was gonna be a bust?? He hasn't done anything?? Sure I go out on a limb sometimes out of frustration or boredom, but many things I say are true and I admit many things I've said were wrong as well...

So over 1,100 posts, and you can successfully summarize all the times you think you've been right in one modestly short post. Sounds about right.

I don't buy the FB hurting him bit. Barry Sander's best season was with a FB in front of him after something like 8 seasons of spread sets and single back formations. I would attribute those lapses more to execution by the entire offense. I don't really disagree with anything else that was said though.

It's hurting him. But can be fixed as he gets more comfortable here.

Remember, he went to Alabama who doesn't use a FB like that. And the Browns didn't really use one either. He's use to finding the holes without anyone in front of him besides the oline. But he'll get use to it. Just him time

It's hurting him. But can be fixed as he gets more comfortable here.

Remember, he went to Alabama who doesn't use a FB like that. And the Browns didn't really use one either. He's use to finding the holes without anyone in front of him besides the oline. But he'll get use to it. Just him time

let me rephrase then; I don't think it will hurt him long term assuming the team around him does their job as well. I got the impression from the OP that he wanted to abandon the FB altogether. Barry Sanders started a little slow too that season :)

I think when we do run the 1 TE 1 FB and 2 receiver set, the two receivers should be DHB and TY. This is because DHB is probably our best blocking WR and TY is our best deep threat so it keeps the defense somewhat guessing. I know taking reggie off the field under any circumstance is a bad idea but its just a thought.

I happen to agree, I went back and watched some of his Rookie year highlights and some of his most explosive plays came from single back sets. He also is a talented pass catcher but is not getting a chance to show that off. He would be a great check down option on delay and circle routes.

who is throwing garbage Richardson's way?  I haven't seen it and i'm on this board every day.  While he doesn't have the best ypc he has had average to bad olines in front of him.  He does his job which is to get people to commit more to the box which allows luck better match-ups on the outside.  He also knows how to pick up a blitz unlike brown.  

I do agree that we need more TY but it would be ignorant to start the game out in these sets flinging the ball everywhere.  This isn't Peyton's Colts anymore, we are smashmouth over finesse.

Sorry to burst your bubble but we are a power running team first which helps protect Luck because our line is average at best. 

Edge also had a better line in front of him creating holes and running lanes.  

I'll be the first to step up as a criticizer of Richardson. I know hes good, and has potential but to me he hasn't shown it much yet. I saw flashes last game and that is great. I never said he was bad, just that his production is lacking. I'm not a hater by any means but i assume the OP's post was directed at others such as myself/ 

let me rephrase then; I don't think it will hurt him long term assuming the team around him does their job as well. I got the impression from the OP that he wanted to abandon the FB altogether. Barry Sanders started a little slow too that season :)

Use it sometimes in short yardage and goal line if Havili is healthy....

So over 1,100 posts, and you can successfully summarize all the times you think you've been right in one modestly short post. Sounds about right.

That's just a few..I was criticized for saying Luck would be a top 5 QB this year and we would be a Super Bowl contender as well.....It's not about that, I criticized Grigson at 1 point and Pagano too and I was wrong on both accounts..Grigson is breaking the mold as an innovative risk taking GM which I love and it's paying big dividends...Pagano isn't a great x's and o's coach, but he is a great leader and the players love him and is the BEST DB COACH there is period which is evident by how well are secondary has turned from bad to very good in his second season...

I'll be the first to step up as a criticizer of Richardson. I know hes good, and has potential but to me he hasn't shown it much yet. I saw flashes last game and that is great. I never said he was bad, just that his production is lacking. I'm not a hater by any means but i assume the OP's post was directed at others such as myself/ 

and here is the thing

why did you see glimpses?  because you saw him run when they didnt have 8 guys in the box knowing it was a run. 

i think a lot of the problem with richardson's critics is that they actually have no idea what they are watching when he runs the ball.  they have no idea what alignment we are in.  who is on the field and so on

they just see him run for a yard and get tackled so they say he sucked

and here is the thing

why did you see glimpses?  because you saw him run when they didnt have 8 guys in the box knowing it was a run. 

No because he finally showed patience hitting the hole and actually running people over. Where as before he'd miss the small hole that presented itself and instead went into the backs of our lineman 

I agree, as great as AP is it would be hard for him to average more then 3.8 ypc because of the fb and it's so obvious when we run. Also the Vikings have a run oriented o-line with Loadholt,Khalil,Sullivan but they struggle in pass protection. Theirs a reason Trent Richardson was drafted 3rd overall and it wasn't because the Browns reached. He was regarded as a top 5 pick by most if not all gm's.  Mike Mayock, Matt Mller, Charles Davis, and many other analyst  and scouts regarded Trent as the best RB prospect since AP. The Rams and Jeff Fisher who were picking 6th that year were gonna get Trent but traded back once the Browns drafted him. Trent is one of the top 3 most physically gifted rb's in the league he just needs to be used more in 3 WR sets and you will see how great of a player he can be.

Here's the article about Jeff Fisher on Richardson

http://nfltraderumors.co/jeff-fisher-shows-some-interest-in-rb-trent-richardson/

No because he finally showed patience hitting the hole and actually running people over. Where as before he'd miss the small hole that presented itself and instead went into the backs of our lineman 

i didn't see any of that

so i am going to have to disagree here

it is pretty easy to see why he started having success.  just look at the formation we were using.  i think it is pretty simple if you actually watch the playcalling.  he suddenly learned how to run when we didn't telegraph the playcall and you think that is just a coincidense?  you see where we are going here.  we aren't building rocket science

it is pretty easy to see why he started having success.  just look at the formation we were using.  i think it is pretty simple if you actually watch the playcalling.  he suddenly learned how to run when we didn't telegraph the playcall and you think that is just a coincidense?  you see where we are going here.  we aren't building rocket science

No one said anything about rocket science, and obviously it is not a *coincidence* but you can see what you want to see. Trent was patient in hitting his holes in every formation just like Bradshaw vs the 49ers. 

No one said anything about rocket science, and obviously it is not a *coincidence* but you can see what you want to see. Trent was patient in hitting his holes in every formation just like Bradshaw vs the 49ers. 

i think you might want to check out that game again

this time, actually watch what is going on.  as in, who we have on the field and how many guys are in the box to stop the run.  i am sure you will figure it out

i think you might want to check out that game again

this time, actually watch what is going on.  as in, who we have on the field and how many guys are in the box to stop the run.  i am sure you will figure it out

I think that's what you need to do. Power running in power run formations works with a good runningback who has good vision. If you're telling me that Andrew Luck isn't a big enough threat for defenses to worry about even in a power-set than I think you're crazy. The last few years when the Jags, vikings, Texans, Eagles, 9ers, Redskins, and other teams with a great rb come out in a obvious running formation they still get a good chunk of yardage. None of those teams have a better qb or even receiving core than the Colts. Trent doesn't have good vision, he has all the physical tools but not the greatest vision. Someone on here even made a picture collage of him missing some key and obvious holes, and instead choosing just to run into the scrum of lineman. 

YES! YES! YES!

A few questions:

Why are we determining that Teo is a bust after 2 games and 8 tackles combined in those 2 games?

How does going through a slump make you a terriible QB?

Thats going out on a limb to much, How ever I do think we need to use 3 wide sets more, until Havili is back anyway

Yep, JS hit it spot on...

But what the hey?   TRich has been here now for how many weeks? 

Seriously...   he is still getting Andrew Luck's snap count down...     and that is no joke.

He will be fine.     Start running out of ANYTHING but Jumbo formations and MAYBE dude may show something.

OK, I'm NOT even going to LOOK at what stat this pops out.

TRich has been here for 3 weeks TOTAL.      NO preseason, no rookie camp, NO nothing...

OK..     He has been shown about 2% of the playbook.........    And it is NOT his fault.  

The TEAM is giving Brown all the "juicy" traps,  spread reps, and ...       all the "options"..

TRich just is not ready to handle teh "playbook" or he would have been given the opportunity.

AND THAT IS NOT A BAD THING...     Trent is new and YOUNG.

Here are all of trents rushes from the last two games:

http://tinypic.com/r/2mpjss6/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2wrm8pf/5

The OLine is creating nothing for him on his rushes, I'd say 75 percent of the time he gets hit deep in the backfield or behind the line of scrimmage.

Nobody will have good stats like that. Have to give Trent a chance, I don't expect the sea to part every carry but getting hit as often as he does deep behind the line of scrimmage is unacceptable for the OLine or playcalling.

The OLine is creating nothing for him on his rushes, I'd say 75 percent of the time he gets hit deep in the backfield or behind the line of scrimmage.

Nobody will have good stats like that. Have to give Trent a chance, I don't expect the sea to part every carry but getting hit as often as he does deep behind the line of scrimmage is unacceptable for the OLine or playcalling.

McGlynn and Satele are constantly getting beat at the line of scrimmage leaving no room for Trent to run most of the time. When we can replace those 2 will be 2x as good as a o-line.

I am sure I will get skewered but ..... I criticized the trade and have not seen anything that makes me take back my criticisms.

Am I glad we have him based on our RB situation? Yes, the timing worked out in our favor, but I still do not like the trade.

He is a good RB that keeps his legs churning and grinds out some hard yards ... but nothing I have seen has screamed "stud" to me, I really have not seen him do anything Ballard could not have done.

I don't think he even looks like he is in the same league as Bradshaw  ... If Bradshaw was given exactly what TRich has been given play wise, blocking, etc, I believe he would have produced better numbers.

TRich = good RB and glad we have him(but not what we paid) .... definitely not looking "elite" or "studly" (not even close).

Fire Away!

I am sure I will get skewered but ..... I criticized the trade and have not seen anything that makes me take back my criticisms.

Am I glad we have him based on our RB situation? Yes, the timing worked out in our favor, but I still do not like the trade.

He is a good RB that keeps his legs churning and grinds out some hard yards ... but nothing I have seen has screamed "stud" to me, I really have not seen him do anything Ballard could not have done.

I don't think he even looks like he is in the same league as Bradshaw ... If Bradshaw was given exactly what TRich has been given play wise, blocking, etc, I believe he would have produced better numbers.

TRich = good RB and glad we have him(but not what we paid) .... definitely not looking "elite" or "studly" (not even close).

Fire Away!

I fall into the camp of those who wouldn't spend a first on a RB, but given the Browns paid all TRich's bonuses, I think the Colts actually got a pretty good deal.

If he continues to be a 3ypc pounder who softens up the D, I'm OK, if somewhat neutral, on the trade. If, on the other hand, TRich starts to improve because he's getting time to pick up the playbook (as I suspect he will)... I may have to get more than a little excited about this trade.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I fall into the camp of those who wouldn't spend a first on a RB, but given the Browns paid all TRich's bonuses, I think the Colts actually got a pretty good deal.

If he continues to be a 3ypc pounder who softens up the D, I'm OK, if somewhat neutral, on the trade. If, on the other hand, TRich starts to improve because he's getting time to pick up the playbook (as I suspect he will)... I may have to get more than a little excited about this trade.

I think us Colts fan should just withhold any judgement until the year is completely over.  See what he does throughout the rest of the season (especially how he performs in the playoffs) and then judge the trade based on that and what the value of our first round pick actually is. (based on where we finished)