Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

colts defensive rankings

coming on strong

wow when i saw the colts defensive stats im impressed..  

5th in points per game averaging 12.8 points per game

8th in total yards per game averaging 307.2 yards pergame

7th in passing yards averaging 200.5 yards per game

15th in rushing yards per game averaging 106.8 per game

with 13 sacks 3 forced fumbles and 6 interceptions in 4 games, and prior runing the ball is the only reason the run defense is 15th , against oppenents running backs the colts have been good.

wow when i saw the colts defensive stats im impressed..  

5th in points per game averaging 12.8 points per game

8th in total yards per game averaging 307.2 yards pergame

7th in passing yards averaging 200.5 yards per game

15th in rushing yards per game averaging 106.8 per game

with 13 sacks 3 forced fumbles and 6 interceptions in 4 games, and prior runing the ball is the only reason the run defense is 15th , against oppenents running backs the colts have been good.

It means more if you ignore who we played.

we played two playoff teams and two bad teams....   look at most teams schedules you only see a maybee 2,3 maybe 4 playoff teams. Do not sleep on the dolphins that deffense is good , and tannehill is legit they will be in the mix...

SF`s Offense was in disarray after the injuries and the beating Seattle put on them. A GREAT week to play them.

NOT the SF team anyone is accustomed to. How fortunate, Again!!

It`s OK if you think that isn`t true.

SF`s Offense was in disarray after the injuries and the beating Seattle put on them. A GREAT week to play them.

All we heard was how the 49ers hadn't lost two back to back games since Harbaugh was their coach and that Colts didn't stand a chance because 49ers would be so angry about losing to the Hawks.  I hardly doubt that the 49ers came into that game with a defeatist attitude and you can't quantify how many points would be affected in any spread simply by saying they're coming off a loss.  They just simply got outplayed and outcoached.  And even if it was a "GREAT" week to play them, 20 point win margin?  And what changed between us beating them by 20 and then hanging 35 on the Rams?  Were they extra angry?

No, i agree with you on that, my point is just this is a much improved defense from the previous years; a lot bigger and more aggressive -- by no means am i trying to say were a top 5 defense or one of the best; just saying how good they have been playing and by the end of the year i think they have the chance to be a top 10 defense.

We can only play who is on the schedule.

If we end up only playing 3 playoff teams this year we can't help it.

Historically the Colts Defense hasn't even performed well against crappy opponents, we used to beat teams 35-30.  So to see that we beat up SF and then did what we were supposed to and dominate the Jaguars, the stats hold water.

All we heard was how the 49ers hadn't lost two back to back games since Harbaugh was their coach and that Colts didn't stand a chance because 49ers would be so angry about losing to the Hawks.  I hardly doubt that the 49ers came into that game with a defeatist attitude and you can't quantify how many points would be affected in any spread simply by saying they're coming off a loss.  They just simply got outplayed and outcoached.  And even if it was a "GREAT" week to play them, 20 point win margin?  And what changed between us beating them by 20 and then hanging 35 on the Rams?  Were they extra angry?

If you watched that game they had several early drops and Kap was a little off target to his young receivers. Something about only 14 receptions back from last seasons WR`s for Our game. Nice for us!

Gee, Vernon Davis and another week to adjust Maybe.

Pretty sure Harbaugh stayed with Gore yesterday. That is for sure.He kinda blew that against us didn`t he?

Kap was much better yesterday. 

And yes our D jamming them was a part of their problem.

If you watched that game they had several early drops and Kap was a little off target to his young receivers. Something about only 14 receptions back from last seasons WR`s for Our game. Nice for us!

Gee, Vernon Davis and another week to adjust Maybe.

Pretty sure Harbaugh stayed with Gore yesterday. That is for sure.He kinda blew that against us didn`t he?

Kap was much better yesterday. 

And yes our D jamming them was a part of their problem.

Yeah, they had some drops, but I think most of the incompletions was simply Kaep being inaccurate.  And yeah, it is lucky for us.  Take what the other team gives you.  In hindsight, one may say they abandoned the run (which may be part truth, the other part is we were just shutting it down after that second drive).  I will say that the 49ers had some issues early on in the season, and it remains to see if they've been worked out, but I think the biggest problem is the read-option this year just hasn't been as effective.  It's being ran less to protect the QB and when ti does get run, it's success rate is much less.  I'm not inclined to say Kaep is not a good QB without the read-option, but I do think it's fair to say that his productivity has declined because of it.

No, i agree with you on that, my point is just this is a much improved defense from the previous years; a lot bigger and more aggressive -- by no means am i trying to say were a top 5 defense or one of the best; just saying how good they have been playing and by the end of the year i think they have the chance to be a top 10 defense.

I agree about the real possibility of being a top ten for the season.

The system is a winner. Grig & Chuck filled the D with lots of good roll players and I see them getting it.

Redding & Abreyu(?) were kicking tail yesterday, fun to watch.

And my whipp`in boy Moala did a really nice job being stout and in the right spot.

It is just not to be overlooked how an offense that can`t pass totally distorts the challenge of defending them.

We were solid across the board. A good day for stats building. Sacks for sure.

You know what impresses me the most, that we don't have that 'player' but we are still very good on defense.

Ya know, the ravens have Suggs and ngata, texans have Cushing and watt, cowboys have ware.

But who do we have? Who on this team that we have when you say there name you say to yourself "that's our guy! That's a guy known around the league for being vicious." Don't get me wrong, we have good players but do we have that guy? That speaks wonders, we have a good collection of players, adding that guy will propel us.

Yeah, they had some drops, but I think most of the incompletions was simply Kaep being inaccurate.  And yeah, it is lucky for us.  Take what the other team gives you.  In hindsight, one may say they abandoned the run (which may be part truth, the other part is we were just shutting it down after that second drive).  I will say that the 49ers had some issues early on in the season, and it remains to see if they've been worked out, but I think the biggest problem is the read-option this year just hasn't been as effective.  It's being ran less to protect the QB and when ti does get run, it's success rate is much less.  I'm not inclined to say Kaep is not a good QB without the read-option, but I do think it's fair to say that his productivity has declined because of it.

Good post. Kap was off to some open guys for sure.

He headed out left to run one time and there was Howell coming up. He backed out and I bet the play collapsed.

We definitely did a VG job as a Team, staying in our lanes. Even Mathis, in the 2nd half!

Howell impresses. Seems to be where he needs to be and at the right time. :thmsup:

You know what impresses me the most, that we don't have that 'player' but we are still very good on defense.

Ya know, the ravens have Suggs and ngata, texans have Cushing and watt, cowboys have ware.

But who do we have? Who on this team that we have when you say there name you say to yourself "that's our guy! That's a guy known around the league for being vicious." Don't get me wrong, we have good players but do we have that guy? That speaks wonders, we have a good collection of players, adding that guy will propel us.

Mathis is that guy

Good post. Kap was off to some open guys for sure.

He headed out left to run one time and there was Howell coming up. He backed out and I bet the play collapsed.

We definitely did a VG job as a Team, staying in our lanes. Even Mathis, in the 2nd half!

Howell impresses. Seems to be where he needs to be and at the right time. :thmsup:

Howell can flat out get it done.  We're not losing much by sticking Howell in Landry's place. 

Depth.

Green Bay had 16 guys making $1M or more when they won the SB. And they lost a bunch of players to injury that season.

As I recall we had 9 when we won and our tenth highest paid was our long snapper.

Forever thankful our D & running game got hot, and thanks for R Grossman too. ;-)

I actually feel sorry for people like you... How miserable is your life?

That`s Ok and thanks for having a feeling.

I like to keep it real. Gave up the kool-aid when I grew up. I do like stats and then to look inside them. It adds meaning to what actually happened on the field.

Have a bestest day. :highfive2:  :cheer2:  :blueshoe:  

Depth.

Green Bay had 16 guys making $1M or more when they won the SB. And they lost a bunch of players to injury that season.

As I recall we had 9 when we won and our tenth highest paid was our long snapper.

Forever thankful our D & running game got hot, and thanks for R Grossman too. ;-)

Once Bob came back, I knew our defense would look different, but man I did not expect that!  I still remember jumping and busting my behind when Bob made that game-making tackle against the Pats.  I was so mad because it was 4th and 1 and we were playing off.  I'm screaming at the TV like "wth is going on?  How don't they know it's gonna be something short.".  Next thing I know Brady throws a checkdown and I'm like game over, but then here comes Bob crashing down and he hit him so hard, dude couldn't even gather any forward momentum to get across the sticks!

Sorry for the trip but yeah, we have a TEAM.  Can't wait for Landry to play this week and knock some beast out of Lynch.

Mathis is that guy

He is BECOMING that guy.  I love Mathis just as much as anyone, but when I think of that 1st tier of OLB/DE, I think Suggs, Watt, Wake, Ware, Allen first.  Mathis is 2nd tier to me, not saying he isn't good, but you know what I mean.  But if he continues on his tear, no doubt he will be that leader on defense and around the league.  

he is tied for 1st in most sacks after 4 games and Suggs and Ware are tied for 7th.. Allen is tied for 9th .. watt and wake are not in the Top 10... I know it is early, but Mathis and the rest of the D is getting better every week.  So He Is our GUY.

I love how our D is playing and I agree... without Prior we would be a Top 5 on the Run D/ rushing per game

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks

he is tied for 1st in most sacks after 4 games and Suggs and Ware are tied for 7th.. Allen is tied for 9th .. watt and wake are not in the Top 10... I know it is early, but Mathis and the rest of the D is getting better every week.  So He Is our GUY.

I love how our D is playing and I agree... without Prior we would be a Top 5 on the Run D/ rushing per game

Sacks are a miserable barometer for measuring the effectiveness of an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. It's only one of the many jobs they have. While Mathis is certainly doing well at creating pass pressure, his run stopping still falls a bit short, and how many tips does he have in the position? How much of that is coming from the fact that Indy has a top tier secondary? Not to mention that 2 of the 4 games Mathis has played in are against Miami and Jacsonville, who both allow sacks like nobody's business. 

Now, has Mathis played well? Absolutely. Is he top tier OLB? Jury's still out, but DeMarcus Ware and J.J. Watt are still well above him, and to argue differently shows a distinct lack of football knowledge.

He is BECOMING that guy.  I love Mathis just as much as anyone, but when I think of that 1st tier of OLB/DE, I think Suggs, Watt, Wake, Ware, Allen first.  Mathis is 2nd tier to me, not saying he isn't good, but you know what I mean.  But if he continues on his tear, no doubt he will be that leader on defense and around the league.  

No i don't know what you mean since he is tied for the most sacks in the league. He is a force and is a top tier pass rusher.

Sacks are a miserable barometer for measuring the effectiveness of an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. It's only one of the many jobs they have. While Mathis is certainly doing well at creating pass pressure, his run stopping still falls a bit short, and how many tips does he have in the position? How much of that is coming from the fact that Indy has a top tier secondary? Not to mention that 2 of the 4 games Mathis has played in are against Miami and Jacsonville, who both allow sacks like nobody's business. 

Now, has Mathis played well? Absolutely. Is he top tier OLB? Jury's still out, but DeMarcus Ware and J.J. Watt are still well above him, and to argue differently shows a distinct lack of football knowledge.

In this league production speaks volumes more than reputation. If you don't believe that than it shows your distinct lack of football knowledge.

No i don't know what you mean since he is tied for the most sacks in the league. He is a force and is a top tier pass rusher.

Because there's a difference between being just a pass rusher and being great at your position. Mathis is confirmed to be good at pass rushing, especially against bad pass pro. O-Lines, but that's about it this season. 

Don't confuse that for being a great OLB, there is far more to it than pass rushing, and being only good at that makes you one dimensional, and actually a mediocre 3-4 OLB.

Because there's a difference between being just a pass rusher and being great at your position. Mathis is confirmed to be good at pass rushing, especially against bad pass pro. O-Lines, but that's about it this season. 

Don't confuse that for being a great OLB, there is far more to it than pass rushing, and being only good at that makes you one dimensional, and actually a mediocre 3-4 OLB.

This.

Sacks solely doesn't make a OLB/DE elite.  That's actually saying he's one-dimensional, which he is not, but according to your argument a OLB/DE's sole purpose is to get sacks and that is not so.  If Pag wanted that, then Dwight would have been signed.

He's still a great OLB this year. He hasnt done anything bad. The only time our run d was bad was on 1 drive vs the 49ers. Heck Mathis has been good enough in coverage as well. Being a premier pass rusher in this league makes him "our guy". Get over it

Even more so because Mathis plays in the "rush" role.

Edited by Gabriel Alexander Morillo

In this league production speaks volumes more than reputation. If you don't believe that than it shows your distinct lack of football knowledge.

Huh!?  So you're telling me, while Asuogmha (sp?)was out OAK, he was not considered the 2nd best DB to Revis just because his stats didn't say so?  Please, not hearing about him says something about his production.  Production =/= Numbers

He's still a great OLB this year. He hasnt done anything bad. The only time our run d was bad was on 1 drive vs the 49ers. Heck Mathis has been good enough in coverage as well. Being a premier pass rusher in this league makes him "our guy". Get over it

Even more so because Mathis plays in the "rush" role.

I never said he wasn't "our guy" (whatever that means), or that he wasn't good, he assuredly is. I said it's too early to decide that he's great, and using an inflated sack number aided by poor O-lines to say he is prematurely is fool's gold. Give me a larger sample size against better opponents to decide that, especially since a lot of the pass rush this year has come off shutdown secondary play, rather than a dominating front 7. 

Mathis is good in his new position of 3-4 OLB, but is he great? The early signs point to maybe, but to declare it now is a fallacy and setting yourself up for disappointment when he may not meet the expectations you set against higher end opponents. The next few games (Specifically the Chargers and Broncos) will tell us all we need to know about this defense. 

Also, please refrain from putting words in other people's mouths about them saying someone is bad and insinuating they might be mad about something in the future, it doesn't aid your argument in any meaningful way.

I love Mathis, I just called dude a trendsetter and future HOFer in another thread.  But when he becomes an ELITE threat against the run AND pass, then he'll be THAT/OUR guy.

Oh, and when I say pass, I don't mean solely sacks, I mean able to drop back and keep up with a TE.

Right now, he is very good, not yet elite, but if he continues to dominate the pass rush and starts to cause havoc against the run, his name will be spoken in elite circles soon.

I never said he wasn't "our guy" (whatever that means), or that he wasn't good, he assuredly is. I said it's too early to decide that he's great, and using an inflated sack number aided by poor O-lines to say he is prematurely is fool's gold. Give me a larger sample size against better opponents to decide that, especially since a lot of the pass rush this year has come off shutdown secondary play, rather than a dominating front 7. 

Mathis is good in his new position of 3-4 OLB, but is he great? The early signs point to maybe, but to declare it now is a fallacy and setting yourself up for disappointment when he may not meet the expectations you set against higher end opponents. The next few games (Specifically the Chargers and Broncos) will tell us all we need to know about this defense. 

Also, please refrain from putting words in other people's mouths about them saying someone is bad and insinuating they might be mad about something in the future, it doesn't aid your argument in any meaningful way.

Where did you see me insinuate any of this part "Also, please refrain from putting words in other people's mouths about them saying someone is bad and insinuating they might be mad about something in the future, it doesn't aid your argument in any meaningful way."

This is a new season, all signs point to Mathis being a great 3-4 Rush OLB. There is no evidence proving otherwise. Its not a fallacy considering its the only thing we can go off of. Whats a fallacy is using last years stats to talk about players this year as if player performance doesn't change year by year. 

Huh!?  So you're telling me, while Asuogmha (sp?)was out OAK, he was not considered the 2nd best DB to Revis just because his stats didn't say so?  Please, not hearing about him says something about his production.  Production =/= Numbers

His production/stats was his opposing qb ratings, targets & completions. He was a "shutdown" corner, hence he "shutdown" his man... 2 completely different positions which use different stats and "eye tests" to measure effectiveness. 

His production/stats was his opposing qb ratings, targets & completions. He was a "shutdown" corner, hence he "shutdown" his man... 2 completely different positions which use different stats and "eye tests" to measure effectiveness. 

You just said it yourself, it's more to it than just stats.  So why use just sacks to gauge Mathis' elite status?  That's the point we're trying to make.

This is a new season, all signs point to Mathis being a great 3-4 Rush OLB. There is no evidence proving otherwise. Its not a fallacy considering its the only thing we can go off of. Whats a fallacy is using last years stats to talk about players this year as if player performance doesn't change year by year. 

^Implying that:

1) I was basing my evaluation of Mathis off of any year but this one when I specifically said I wasn't

and

2) That looking at past performance doesn't help indicate future performance, because trends and statistical patterns don't exist

The first is a strawman argument, the second is the very definition of a logical fallacy. Please show me where Mathis has out produced a premiere guy like DeMarcus Ware in a stat other than sacks, which as previously stated is very inflated from playing bad O-Lines.

Mathis is good. Hell, he's very good. He is not yet elite as a 3-4 OLB. To declare that is premature and silly, especially since he's done very little in terms of pass coverage rather than straight up pass rush.

Also weren't you one of the guys bemoaning the Trent Richardson trade because of his previous seasons YPC with an entirely different team? You know, "using last years stats to talk about players this year as if player performance doesn't change year by year." Seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. 

Where did you see me insinuate any of this part "Also, please refrain from putting words in other people's mouths about them saying someone is bad and insinuating they might be mad about something in the future, it doesn't aid your argument in any meaningful way." 

Being a premier pass rusher in this league makes him "our guy". Get over it

lul.

You just said it yourself, it's more to it than just stats.  So why use just sacks to gauge Mathis' elite status?  That's the point we're trying to make.

Because he not only possesses elite stats but he also passes the eye test and any other test you throw at him... You're arguing that he is not a 1st tier OLB, and i'm asking you why? Everything points to him having already become one. He is with no question our "guy" and out Leader. I honestly don't even know what you're arguing with since Mathis is playing better for his position as a rush 3-4 OLB than everyone not named Justin Houston. 

^Implying that:

1) I was basing my evaluation of Mathis off of any year but this one when I specifically said I wasn't

and

2) That looking at past performance doesn't help indicate future performance, because trends and statistical patterns don't exist

The first is a strawman argument, the second is the very definition of a logical fallacy. Please show me where Mathis has out produced a premiere guy like DeMarcus Ware in a stat other than sacks, which as previously stated is very inflated from playing bad O-Lines.

Mathis is good. heck, he's very good. He is not yet elite as a 3-4 OLB. To declare that is premature and silly, especially since he's done very little in terms of pass coverage rather than straight up pass rush.

Also weren't you one of the guys bemoaning the Trent Richardson trade because of his previous seasons YPC with an entirely different team? You know, "using last years stats to talk about players this year as if player performance doesn't change year by year." Seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. 

lul.

Once again where did I insinuate any of this? I'd like a quote... Alls i said was that it is a new season and Mathis is beasting at his position better than most others thus making him elite. You really have no argument here. You can look at any trends you want but the fact is when it comes time to produce you better do it. (look at Ray rice),  No I was bemoaning Trent Richardson for his performance in Cleveland this year, and his performance thus far as a colts. 

Once again where did I insinuate any of this? I'd like a quote... Alls i said was that it is a new season and Mathis is beasting at his position better than most others thus making him elite. You really have no argument here. You can look at any trends you want but the fact is when it comes time to produce you better do it. (look at Ray rice),  No I was bemoaning Trent Richardson for his performance in Cleveland this year, and his performance thus far as a colts. 

Confirmed for troll. Nobody is that blissfully ignorant of implied meaning.