Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

colts defensive rankings

coming on strong

SF`s Offense was in disarray after the injuries and the beating Seattle put on them. A GREAT week to play them.

NOT the SF team anyone is accustomed to. How fortunate, Again!!

It`s OK if you think that isn`t true.

The Colts had their share of injury going into that game. So that can't be used for an excuse. 49ers were at home but still got a beatdown. And make no mistake, it was a beatdown. For you it's what the 49ers did and didn't not what the Colts did do. 

He is BECOMING that guy.  I love Mathis just as much as anyone, but when I think of that 1st tier of OLB/DE, I think Suggs, Watt, Wake, Ware, Allen first.  Mathis is 2nd tier to me, not saying he isn't good, but you know what I mean.  But if he continues on his tear, no doubt he will be that leader on defense and around the league.  

He is the guy. He is tied for the lead in sacks with 7,5. He may not get the attention of some other because he don't feel the need to over celebrate very time he makes a play. 

Because he not only possesses elite stats but he also passes the eye test and any other test you throw at him... You're arguing that he is not a 1st tier OLB, and i'm asking you why? Everything points to him having already become one. He is with no question our "guy" and out Leader. I honestly don't even know what you're arguing with since Mathis is playing better for his position as a rush 3-4 OLB than everyone not named Justin Houston.

You're basically taking a SMALL sample size and using it to prove your argument which is unfair. I know the stats, but are you gonna really line Mathis up next guys like ware and say he is better than them?

He's not 1st tier(yet) because he hasn't become a disruptive force against the run. When he starts smash ball carriers consistently in the backfield, when we can put him on a tight end and not worry, then he'll be that known force.

I get what you are saying smitty but Ware is a liability in coverage so maybe he is not the best example

Every player has their weakness, but even though ware is a liability, dude is a monster in almost all phases of defense. But yeah, ware is a bad example lol. Even though I have seen him get a couple picks and batted passes during my time, he still isn't the best.

What I like is how the league and commentators have commented and noticed how the culture is changing. We are becoming a punch you in the face, smash mouth team and I love it. Totally fits my personality. Have always loved the years back NE, steelers and ravens teams. Cause they just beat you up and make you fight for every yard. We just happened to have Manning. Who could surgically dismember a defense.

Guest TeamLoloJones

What I like is how the league and commentators have commented and noticed how the culture is changing. We are becoming a punch you in the face, smash mouth team and I love it. Totally fits my personality. Have always loved the years back NE, steelers and ravens teams. Cause they just beat you up and make you fight for every yard. We just happened to have Manning. Who could surgically dismember a defense.

We are basically becoming the NFL version of the Stanford Cardinal.  I'm sure Luck is loving it.

Every player has their weakness, but even though ware is a liability, dude is a monster in almost all phases of defense. But yeah, ware is a bad example lol. Even though I have seen him get a couple picks and batted passes during my time, he still isn't the best.

Yeah my brother is a Cowboys fan so I watch some games with him and cringe whenever he drops back into pass coverage.

We are basically becoming the NFL version of the Stanford Cardinal. I'm sure Luck is loving it.

Well as long as that equals the aggressive smash mouth defenses that the ravens, steelers and ne had if be ok with that. Never really followed Stanford so can't say.

You're basically taking a SMALL sample size and using it to prove your argument which is unfair. I know the stats, but are you gonna really line Mathis up next guys like ware and say he is better than them?

He's not 1st tier(yet) because he hasn't become a disruptive force against the run. When he starts smash ball carriers consistently in the backfield, when we can put him on a tight end and not worry, then he'll be that known force.

They don't even play the same position(ware and mathis). As a rush OLB he is not asked o cover te's often if at all, and NO 3-4 "rush" backer can be put on a te and consistently cover him... It is a small sample size but its all we have to go by right now... Yes i am telling you that currently in the NFL Robert Mathis of the Colts whom plays the "rush" role in a 3-4 formation is **playing** better than Demarcus Ware of the Cowboys whom plays as a 4-3 DE. 

On the defense as a whole, looking at each position, we really do look solid. And I'm usually critical or hard to please. The front 3 are very solid-at least their play in the past has been very good. I would like to see the opposition yards per carry go down, though. The LBs, at least Mathis on one side and Freeman on the inside are having Pro Bowl years. I would like to see someone step up or us acquire a better ILB to go beside Freeman--I'm not sure about Angerer anymore. And surely one of the 2 OLB's we've invested so much in will pan out (Werner or Walden). Even if just one of those pan out, we will be ok. The CBs have played well. Butler, Toler and Davis make up a good group. With Howell (now injured) showing he has starter ability, we are very well set at safety with him, Bethea and Landry. With one or two more players over the next year or so, this could be an outstanding defense very soon.

As the Rush LB, Mathis will almost always be lined up on the weak side of the offensive formation where there would be no TE, except for in multiple TE sets.  So there would be very few opportunities to line him up in pass coverage against an opposing TE.  Typically, the Rush LB, if in man coverage, would be on a RB or FB I believe.  I do agree that he is still rather weak against the run.  The majority of broken plays to the outside so far this season have come to his side.  

They don't even play the same position(ware and mathis). As a rush OLB he is not asked o cover te's often if at all, and NO 3-4 "rush" backer can be put on a te and consistently cover him... It is a small sample size but its all we have to go by right now... Yes i am telling you that currently in the NFL Robert Mathis of the Colts whom plays the "rush" role in a 3-4 formation is **playing** better than Demarcus Ware of the Cowboys whom plays as a 4-3 DE. 

Ware was an OLB for 8 years before transitioning this year to 4-3 DE, so there is more than ample information to grade him as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

In all, I think you are both kind of right but also both kind of wrong.