Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The post Trent Richardson wth Trade Mock Draft

Need Reddings eventual replacement and a better back up behind Chapman, Franklin just has not looked good on many instances

Yeah that is what i was thinking. Think Franklin was just short term just incase Chapman was a bust (well rather to see if he could be starter calliber). Thought Nevis was the only real candidate we had to replace Redding but 1- we got rid of him and 2- he's more of a DT than a 34 DE.

Despite what everyone (including me) says about our O Line i would think with the draft picks we have now D Line is probably a better target than O Line in this draft.

Im not high on Collins lol, not very athletic or strong but at least one of those is fixable

I'm not sure athletic is the word I would use.. haha. I know what you mean, but he guy ran a 4.64, 41.5 vertical, 139 inch vertical jump, with an 11.55 60 yard shuttle.. all at 6-3 250. That's pretty athletic.. maybe not fluid or lacks games speed or something would better fit! lol

I'm not sure athletic is the word I would use.. haha. I know what you mean, but he guy ran a 4.64, 41.5 vertical, 139 inch vertical jump, with an 11.55 60 yard shuttle.. all at 6-3 250. That's pretty athletic.. maybe not fluid or lacks games speed or something would better fit! lol

cant flip his hips well to adjust in the open field to tackle consistently, Plays stiff in that area

Guest TeamLoloJones

Jordan isnt underrated everybody knows about him.  

I would argue he is underrated as long as he doesn't have a 1st round tag on him. Which as of right now he doesn't.

Need Reddings eventual replacement and a better back up behind Chapman, Franklin just has not looked good on many instances

I think Redding's replacement can and should be Stephon Tuitt with their second round pick. As for Chapman, whoever they decide upon should be a free agent and not a draft selection. It is my philosophy that you spend draft picks on immediate contributors and replacements but not back-ups. Chapman is still really young so unless they've already decided he's a bust then he should be entrenched long-term as a starter.

Here is the question. . . what would you say our team needs are in order of importance for next year?  

I'm thinking of the roster in my head and I don't think we have a lot of needs as we seem to have average or better players at every position on the starting lineup.  (Once injuries are healed).  The only exception to this I would say is maybe center.  

I'm not sure what positions on the starting lineup we can really upgrade with a 2nd round pick.  

Here is the question. . . what would you say our team needs are in order of importance for next year?  

I'm thinking of the roster in my head and I don't think we have a lot of needs as we seem to have average or better players at every position on the starting lineup.  (Once injuries are healed).  The only exception to this I would say is maybe center.  

I'm not sure what positions on the starting lineup we can really upgrade with a 2nd round pick.  

CB is the position with the least amount of depth. If Toler or Davis has to miss anytime were back to Cassius Vaughn playing on the outside and we don't want that.

Needs

1.CB - Depth for Toler and Davis

2.DE - Redding replacement

3.OG - Depth behind Thornton and Thomas

4.OLB - A backup for Werner and Mathis, Walden hasn't been good.

5. WR - In case we don't resign DHB or a free agent

OLB

OG

WR

DE

MLB

I wouldn't dismiss 2 rd picks....always big time talent available.

CB is the position with the least amount of depth. If Toler or Davis has to miss anytime were back to Cassius Vaughn playing on the outside and we don't want that.

Needs

1.CB - Depth for Toler and Davis

2.DE - Redding replacement

3.OG - Depth behind Thornton and Thomas

4.OLB - A backup for Werner and Mathis, Walden hasn't been good.

5. WR - In case we don't resign DHB or a free agent

Here is my thing, you talk a lot about depth and I agree we need depth at multiple positions.  You didn't mention OT but we certainly need depth there as well.

But how often do you use a 2nd round pick for depth?  

I suppose if we could find an upgrade in the 2nd round then the current guy we have could be our depth.  Problem is that most of them are being paid too much money to sit on the bench.  

I think to improve and continue what we've got going, I'd put the needs in this order:

1. DE- Redding's replacement of course, but Building the Monster requires a stout and strong D-line. Also, it looks like some quality 3-4 DE's are sliding lately, and if in the next draft a talent like Stephon Tuitt falls to us in the 2nd, he'd be the steal of the year.
  2. ILB- I believe Werner will fully develop to be the pass rushing terror to replace Mathis, but you can never have too many pass rushers. And I'm not sold on Walden through the first 3 games.
  3. ILB- Congrats to Freeman for being a force in the middle, he's earned it. But we just have too many "average" inside guys, and need a THUMPER right there.
  4. Center/Guard- Surely I trust Grigson and his O-line expertise, but I was confused about the Holmes selection in the draft, and with Thomas out (still has to prove himself) and Thornton looking like the real deal, I think depth or a chance here is always good.
  5. CB- I pushed this need far down, as I have been very impressed by our secondary. Of course if Toler introduces his injury issues to this team, we could get some more depth.

I know I didn't include Wide Receiver, I just think we have some good young guns in DHB and Hilton, not to mention slot options in Brazill and Whalen, and then there's whatever Da'rick turns himself into. But it's also part of my philosophy of building just about everything else up before skill positions, so that's just me.

1. OG - need some young guys in there 

2. DE 

3. C

4. CB

5. WR 

A reminder if I may...........

Some of the needs will be filled by Free Agency.    We appear to have a good pile of money to spend in 2014.

I'm just not sure how much of it we will spend, and how much will be saved for 2015 when we can start signing guys like Luck, Hilton,  Allen,  Fleener,  Ballard,  Chapman to bigger, long-term contracts.    Too early to know....

But some positions I think will be targeted with Free Agency where we really want a veteran more than we want a rookie....

And the rest -- of course -- will be the draft,  where youth is better served.....

I like him as a 4th round pick, worries me a bit in coverage getting back into zones, does not look real athletic either. I like him as a 2 down down hill ILB though, Spikes I like to but cant see NE letting him go

Another question, alright.. I get the guy is a headcase but with Rolando McClain going back to school and taking a year off from the NFL to try to get his life turned around, do you think he would be worth a look next year? He only signed a one year contract with the Ravens and so that will be up by next year. At 6-3 255, the guy fits PERFECTLY into the MIKE role of our defense and one of the reasons I felt like he underperformed with the Raiders is because of the scheme. Do you think he would be worth the risk? If he hadn't had taken the year off, I'd say no.. but I just wondered what you thought about him?

Another question, alright.. I get the guy is a headcase but with Rolando McClain going back to school and taking a year off from the NFL to try to get his life turned around, do you think he would be worth a look next year? He only signed a one year contract with the Ravens and so that will be up by next year. At 6-3 255, the guy fits PERFECTLY into the MIKE role of our defense and one of the reasons I felt like he underperformed with the Raiders is because of the scheme. Do you think he would be worth the risk? If he hadn't had taken the year off, I'd say no.. but I just wondered what you thought about him?

Sure, lets try it, assuming its low-cost. Heyward-Bey is looking like a really good investment. McClain might be the same way. He has the talent and would fill a role. I actually really like that idea.

Sure, lets try it, assuming its low-cost. Heyward-Bey is looking like a really good investment. McClain might be the same way. He has the talent and would fill a role. I actually really like that idea.

See, that's why I like it.. he would still be really cheap because he hasn't played in a year and he is still a risk. The Ravens didn't even have to pay him a million. I love the idea..

I'd sign him to the active roster in a heart beat and make him earn his way onto the field, he has been productive and is a penetrating down hill ILB

I'd sign him to the active roster in a heart beat and make him earn his way onto the field, he has been productive and is a penetrating down hill ILB

He is the perfect compliment to Jerrell Freeman IMO. He does a pretty good job at shedding blocks and regardless of how he is off the field, he is one of the smartest players on the field.

He is one of my top free agent guys I'm hopeful for next year.

If they could sign him to a multi-year contract with most of it frontloaded then it could be a HUGE move by the Colts.

Size: 6-3 255

Position: ILB

Positives:

- Fits a huge need for us next year.

- Extremely intelligent on the field.

- Size, strength fits the thumper MIKE position.

- Still VERY young.

- Will come VERY cheap.

Negatives:

- Off the field issues have been in question.

- Pass coverage has been suspect to say the least.

I love the fact that he is so young still.

Positives:

- Still VERY young.

- Will come VERY cheap.

Negatives:

Oh I know. I wanted them to grab him this last offseason but next offseason he might be an even better acquisition. Build the Monster

Positives:

- Still VERY young.

- Will come VERY cheap.

Negatives:

I'd be all over it

Guest TeamLoloJones

Question is, with Mcclain being as productive as he was with Oakland (if he comes back from retirement of course...and is still the same player)wil Oakland be willing to trade him, I have my doubts, They still have his rights I believe

Ravens have his rights. And only for the rest of this season.

Oh I know. I wanted them to grab him this last offseason but next offseason he might be an even better acquisition. Build the Monster

The thing is.. he NEVER got into trouble outside of Decatur. I'd even take him right now, he is obviously making an effort. He is really trying to complete his degree, though, so I just don't see it.

What do you think about a possible trade for Lamarr Woodley? If you add him and Gordon along with McClain I think they could make serious noise this year and be serious contenders next year and beyond.

Well, I do understand and agree that Woodley would be absolutely amazing, but I just don't see him or Gordon. First off, I'm not sure Gordon is even on the block anymore, I see someone trading for Little before Gordon and for both Gordon and Woodley, the price would be pretty steep. I like the idea, of course, but I just don't see it. More likely would be targeting guys like Rob Ninkovich, Anthony Spencer, or Brian Orakpo in free agency next year even though, Spencer or Orakpo are very unlikely guys.

Well, I do understand and agree that Woodley would be absolutely amazing, but I just don't see him or Gordon. First off, I'm not sure Gordon is even on the block anymore, I see someone trading for Little before Gordon and for both Gordon and Woodley, the price would be pretty steep. I like the idea, of course, but I just don't see it. More likely would be targeting guys like Rob Ninkovich, Anthony Spencer, or Brian Orakpo in free agency next year even though, Spencer or Orakpo are very unlikely guys.

I suggested Woodley because Pittsburg seems to be floundering and I thought I recalled rumors of him being traded before. I think Gordon is still available. I haven't heard their GM say he is off the table (only their coach) and if they got enough they would trade him. If someone would trade a 1st then Gordon would be elsewhere. I think we should just hope a 2nd or 3rd does it.

I suggested Woodley because Pittsburg seems to be floundering and I thought I recalled rumors of him being traded before. I think Gordon is still available. I haven't heard their GM say he is off the table (only their coach) and if they got enough they would trade him. If someone would trade a 1st then Gordon would be elsewhere. I think we should just hope a 2nd or 3rd does it.

Well, the thing is.. What have to have some draft picks for the draft. If he traded our 1st, 2nd/3rd, and had our 4th gone.. then we would be so low and would be having to pay high prices for guys like Woodley.

We have a bunch of money under the cap don't we? Its a win now league. When you say don't worry, there's always next year then you turn into the Browns.

I agree, and me personally.. I would love to give up a 3rd for Woodley. Guy is a stud and playing opposite Mathis would be incredible but we just invested a 1st round pick in Werner and while I understand that Mathis is aging.. the main reason I don't see it happening is because it's very Madden-like. The Trent Richardson trade was very out of the box and I'm not going to lie, it did open up my mind to possibilities there for awhile like adding Woodley, but the more I think about it, the more I see this as a lottery type thing, it's rare enough happening once, happening twice is just not likely. Like I said, I'd LOVE it if it happened. Guy would bring a nastiness to this defense much like Landry has. More realistic option would be James Harrison in FA next year.

We have a bunch of money under the cap don't we? Its a win now league. When you say don't worry, there's always next year then you turn into the Browns.

Sportrac is claiming we have only 2.8 million in cap space right now.  

Woodley has a base salary alone of 3.6 million right now.  And that doesn't include the roster bonuses and other money that I'm not sure if we take on or not if he's traded.  So it is impossible to trade for Woodley right now without cutting some players from the team.

Also I wouldn't want him, his cap hit in the next few years is WAY too high.  

His cap hit for this year is 9.1 million.  Next year it's going to be 13.59 million, the year after 14.09 million.  

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/lamarr-woodley/

No no no no no.  If we resign 3 or 4 players and had him that's pretty much all our free agency budget for next year.  

If you say we have to go for broke and win now then you turn into the Jets or the Eagles.

You have to balance the desire to win now with an eye to the future.  We can't afford to take on a contract like that, at least not until we are rid of Mathis.

To be fair it will help when we get rid of some of our dead money.  We're still paying 4.8 million on cutting Brackett, it looks like almost 2 million from the Jerry Hughes trade, and 780,000 for cutting Zib.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/