Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just my thoughts on Luck.

SIXTHOBJECT

Amen.!!!!

And what would it take for you to consider Luck living up to draft status? Most wins by a #1 pick QB in 1st year? Playoffs? Rookie passing record? Led league in come from behind wins? None of that matters...

You're a Luck hater, own it. Stop hiding behind your Zach Galifiankis picture and own it. It's ok you're a fan of another team but stop hiding behind the claim you are a colts fan. It's not about an individual player (manning). True fans root on their team.

luck is good---happy to have him------but how bout irsays read on manning? i think colts let 1or 2 super bowls go

Probably not with that roster, the surrounding cast was aging fast and we couldn't afford a rebuild around Manning. Unless he was willing to take a big paycut.

luck is good---happy to have him------but how bout irsays read on manning? i think colts let 1or 2 super bowls go

If this is your actual belief and not just your love for Manning, then you are sadly out of touch with reality. With Manning here last yr. with our new system, the Colts would have been God Awful. They wouldn't have been able to add anybody that fit the system and they would have been lucky to win 5 games. Manning would have been beaten to death behind our putrid O-line since he moves like he has cinder blocks for feet. 

Wow. Where can I get a pair of those glasses? Manning will play at least four more seasons and perhaps five. He doesn't get hit much because, unlike Luck, he gets rid of the ball quickly. Peyton sat out a year and he didn't like it. He may play a year too long but not a year short of what he could do. If Luck does the things you say (and he won't), he will be the greatest QB of all time. I just don't see that at all.

Where can I get a pair of those glasses you're wearing? Because they obviously weren't purchased at the colts pro shop.

Those neck surgeries are going to take their toll at some point.

It's definitely possible for a QB to play into their 40s but I think they have to be lucky in some respects. Elway was waaaayyy before my time. Was he as beat up as Peyton is?

Peyton isn't beaten up. Other than the neck injury he has never missed more than one snap in his career. The neck has been fused and it stronger than it was before he was injured. Something else may occur but he has less chance of an injury to his neck than someone who has not had the procedure. You can see the results. More QBs are playing longer. He doesn't take a lot of punishment because of his lightning quick decision making and release. That won't change.

If this is your actual belief and not just your love for Manning, then you are sadly out of touch with reality. With Manning here last yr. with our new system, the Colts would have been God Awful. They wouldn't have been able to add anybody that fit the system and they would have been lucky to win 5 games. Manning would have been beaten to death behind our putrid O-line since he moves like he has cinder blocks for feet. 

Wrong!! If Manning had come back, the system would never have been changed. And even if it had, he would not have been hit as much because he makes very quick reads and gets the ball out of his hand early. A lot of those hits on Luck were because he was slow at making reads and slow at getting rid of the ball and unwilling to look at secondary receivers. It doesn't matter what kind of offensive line you put Luck behind, he is always going to take a beating because of those two reasons. It is his major flaw as a QB.

And what would it take for you to consider Luck living up to draft status? Most wins by a #1 pick QB in 1st year? Playoffs? Rookie passing record? Led league in come from behind wins? None of that matters...

You're a Luck hater, own it. Stop hiding behind your Zach Galifiankis picture and own it. It's ok you're a fan of another team but stop hiding behind the claim you are a colts fan. It's not about an individual player (manning). True fans root on their team.

i wish i could like this more than once

Wrong!! If Manning had come back, the system would never have been changed. And even if it had, he would not have been hit as much because he makes very quick reads and gets the ball out of his hand early. A lot of those hits on Luck were because he was slow at making reads and slow at getting rid of the ball and unwilling to look at secondary receivers. It doesn't matter what kind of offensive line you put Luck behind, he is always going to take a beating because of those two reasons. It is his major flaw as a QB.

gee maybe its because he was a rookie. Go back and watch peytons rookie year and tell me which one had the better season.

gee maybe its because he was a rookie. Go back and watch peytons rookie year and tell me which one had the better season.

Yes, he will get better. Peyton's rookie year was the best by any rookie QB at the time. Things change over that many years including how many times Luck chucked the football. I also think Peyton had a better team around him.

No way.  We didn't have the money OR personnel to even give him 1.  A rebuild was necessary.  It was obvious Peyton would not have the best chance to win a SB with us and I respect Irsay for understanding that.  If you think that letting Manning go came down to money and health, then you are sadly mistaken.

A lot of those hits on Luck were because he was slow at making reads and slow at getting rid of the ball and unwilling to look at secondary receivers. It doesn't matter what kind of offensive line you put Luck behind, he is always going to take a beating because of those two reasons. It is his major flaw as a QB.

A rookie QB, becoming accustomed to a new system and to the speed of the NFL game, being fed plays that develop 20+ yards downfield, which take several more seconds for receivers to get into position, and you're going to knock him for not getting the ball out faster?? If you can give some specific examples of situations where he had secondary receivers in intermediate positions in place and open BEFORE he was running for his life, I will happily admit that you're right about Andrew not being able make his reads.

In any case, is there a reason why you're beating up on a young, still-developing quarterback? It's fine to hold Peyton up as the gold standard, but comparisons between Peyton now and Andrew now are just inherently flawed. Peyton didn't hatch from the womb being as great as he is now. Andrew will come into his own, and Peyton will continue to do his thing until he's ready to retire.

I have great respect for what both have accomplished up to this point in their respective careers, and I will root for both...until Denver arrives in town. Then my head will explode. Anyway, you should probably go over to a 'Skins board and continue your Andrew critique over there. I can guarantee that they will come around to your viewpoint much quicker than this board will.

Yes, he will get better. Peyton's rookie year was the best by any rookie QB at the time. Things change over that many years including how many times Luck chucked the football. I also think Peyton had a better team around him.

he had two hall of famers and still threw 28 picks. He turned out pretty well i would say

he had two hall of famers and still threw 28 picks. He turned out pretty well i would say

Yes, he did and people forget about those Hall of Famers. I think Luck will be a great QB but I think it is overhype when some here already claim him to be the best QB in the NFL or even a top five QB. He isn't but he has all of the tools to become that if stays healthy and proves to be coachable. I see no reason why he will not be both of these things. So lets all move on from this and actually watch the Colts play and see where they stand.

It is not OlBlu. It is a Colts fan who just doesn't buy all of the hype. Lets get this season started and see who is closer to being right. I'll admit if I am wrong. How about you?

Could have fooled me.  You know, there IS a difference between a Colts fan and a Peyton fan.  It has nothing to do with blindly following the hype, and everything to do with pride for your team.  You don't have a team, that's cool.  I just don't understand why you masquerade as a Colts fan when it is quite clear that you are not. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying all the attention.  Didn't get enough as a kid?

Peyton isn't beaten up. Other than the neck injury he has never missed more than one snap in his career. The neck has been fused and it stronger than it was before he was injured. Something else may occur but he has less chance of an injury to his neck than someone who has not had the procedure. You can see the results. More QBs are playing longer. He doesn't take a lot of punishment because of his lightning quick decision making and release. That won't change.

I'm not sure that's true. What are you basing that on?

It seemed to me that there was a lot of concern regarding the neck surgeries last year when the Broncos signed him. "One more hit could end his career" etc. etc. It's easy to forget about all of that because he had a monster season but I still think he's vulnerable.

Could have fooled me.  You know, there IS a difference between a Colts fan and a Peyton fan.  It has nothing to do with blindly following the hype, and everything to do with pride for your team.  You don't have a team, that's cool.  I just don't understand why you masquerade as a Colts fan when it is quite clear that you are not. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying all the attention.  Didn't get enough as a kid?

I have been a Colts fan going back to long before they came to Indy. I am a Peyton fan and I make no bones about it but I am and I have always been a Colts fan. I don't need the attention at all. I think you believe that you have to be a cheerleader to be a Colts fan. I am not that and I never have been and I never will be. I was a fan with Irsay's father owned the team and made rather miserable decisions. I love the team but I didn't like those decisions and I said so. I think there is night and day between Jim Irsay and his father. Do I agree with all of his decisions. Hell, no. But I do understand most of them and that includes the decision about Peyton. Sure and understand he has to make business decisions while most of a fan's ideas are much more emotional.

I'm not sure that's true. What are you basing that on?

It seemed to me that there was a lot of concern regarding the neck surgeries last year when the Broncos signed him. "One more hit could end his career" etc. etc. It's easy to forget about all of that because he had a monster season but I still think he's vulnerable.

The doctors put that to rest last year when he was still with the Colts. That surgery is very good and it makes that area in the neck stronger than it was before the injury. If you read what doctors say about it, you will see that he is much more likely to injure something else that reinjure that neck. There are linebackers and other heavy hitting players that have had this same surgery and they are still playing and they have no reinjured themselves even though they get contact on just about every play.

Manning would not have taken those hits. Most of those hits were because Luck is slow getting rid of the ball and in making his reads on who is going to be open. Peyton played with lines that were little better and had view sacks because the ball was gone before they could get to him. Yes, so now you have a young QB who may or may not be a star some years down the road and Peyton is competing for the Super Bowl yet again. Enjoy what is coming. It will be a long time before you see teams and results like 18 had when he was here. That is just my take. Getting Luck and going into complete rebuilding mode is fine and it may be a great business decision. We won't know for quite a long time. About the time, Peyton is going into the Hall of Fame holding just about every QB record. Luck will be looking up at that for a long while. What if he decides to bolt to a better them when he becomes a free agent?? Oh, my.

You insist that Luck is not a top tier QB. Luck is his own person and wont be looking up at any QB. You speak of how great Manning is but choose to overlook that fact that Luck blew out every rookie record and still threw 10 less picks than Manning did his rookie year. Luck went to the Manning's football camps and was taught by both Mannings and their father. Luck has the same tenacity that Manning has and the same work habits. Peyton going into the HOF has exactly zero to do with Luck. You say you are such a Colts fan but every chance you get you cut Luck like he is a scrub. I am not saying Luck will be as good as Manning but your unfair comparisons between the two is wrong. They both stand on their own two feet. You tell me to enjoy what is coming but if it dont involve the Colts I couldn't care less. I wish Manning good luck but I am a Colt fan not a Bronco fan. I don't stand in the middle of the fence. 

Yes, he did and people forget about those Hall of Famers. I think Luck will be a great QB but I think it is overhype when some here already claim him to be the best QB in the NFL or even a top five QB. He isn't but he has all of the tools to become that if stays healthy and proves to be coachable. I see no reason why he will not be both of these things. So lets all move on from this and actually watch the Colts play and see where they stand.

He is considered by most analysts to be top 10. That's pretty impressive being in the league one year. What parts about his game need to be coached? Just curious...that's an odd statement. Usually statements like that are reserved for 3rd tier quarterbacks. If you say interceptions and completion percentage, those are aspects that are based on scheme.

Hasn't Andrew luck proven that he is coachable? That's an absurd statement.

He is considered by most analysts to be top 10. That's pretty impressive being in the league one year. What parts about his game need to be coached? Just curious...that's an odd statement. Usually statements like that are reserved for 3rd tier quarterbacks. If you say interceptions and completion percentage, those are aspects that are based on scheme.

I have seen analyst like John Clayton have him 13th or so. I have seen others who have at 15 or below. It doesn't really matter. He is young and developing and he will have great days and horrible ones for a while longer. He needs to make reads much more quickly and get the ball out of his hands and paying attention to secondary receivers. I see him as weak in the area and I blame this for many of his sacks as much as I do the offensive line. He also have a problem throwing a floating ball when he uncorks a long one. It hangs up at the end and lets the defensive player get back into the play. I'm not sure anything can be done about that. I enjoy watching him play and I do not blame many of his problems on the coaching or the scheme. If you are right about that, we should see a big change immediately. I hope we do.

Hasn't Andrew luck proven that he is coachable? That's an absurd statement.

I think we will find out quickly. If he still holds the ball to long or can't find secondary receivers then I think that might be a problem of being coachable. I have the same concern about RGIII and whether he will really learn how to slide and give up on running the ball as much. Both are young so it is yet to be seen in my opinion.

I have seen analyst like John Clayton have him 13th or so. I have seen others who have at 15 or below. It doesn't really matter. He is young and developing and he will have great days and horrible ones for a while longer. He needs to make reads much more quickly and get the ball out of his hands and paying attention to secondary receivers. I see him as weak in the area and I blame this for many of his sacks as much as I do the offensive line. He also have a problem throwing a floating ball when he uncorks a long one. It hangs up at the end and lets the defensive player get back into the play. I'm not sure anything can be done about that. I enjoy watching him play and I do not blame many of his problems on the coaching or the scheme. If you are right about that, we should see a big change immediately. I hope we do.

Clayton? The "insider"? the guys a glorified reporter not an analyst. NBC's Brian Williams says Luck is a top 5 quarterback...game over. No other opinions needed. Ron Jaworski has Luck at 10 and Jaws uses...idk game tape to make his rankings. I'll listen to an analyst who breaks down film compared to a guy who consults his barber, or lack thereof on qb rankings.

Oh and btw, a knock on manning coming out of college was that his arm strength on deep balls was lacking...sound familiar?

I think we will find out quickly. If he still holds the ball to long or can't find secondary receivers then I think that might be a problem of being coachable. I have the same concern about RGIII and whether he will really learn how to slide and give up on running the ball as much. Both are young so it is yet to be seen in my opinion.

Welcome dear soccer fan to NFL fandom:

Just a few things: I know an opinion is just that...an opinion but it's obvious you know nothing about scheme, including vertical offenses. Luck "held onto the ball" due to receivers needing to complete their routes. A 20 yd route compared to a 2 yard screen usually takes more time to develop I would think. So get this, of you have 3 receivers running 20 yard routes what happens? Oh idk, this thing called time. Nothing to do with coachability, all scheme.

Most analysts agree that Lucks play progression and awareness is one of the best in the league, so I have no idea what you mean about secondary receivers.

Welcome dear soccer fan to NFL fandom:

Just a few things: I know an opinion is just that...an opinion but it's obvious you know nothing about scheme, including vertical offenses. Luck "held onto the ball" due to receivers needing to complete their routes. A 20 yd route compared to a 2 yard screen usually takes more time to develop I would think. So get this, of you have 3 receivers running 20 yard routes what happens? Oh idk, this thing called time. Nothing to do with coachability, all scheme.

Most analysts agree that Lucks play progression and awareness is one of the best in the league, so I have no idea what you mean about secondary receivers.

Well, we just are not going to agree on this so need to speak more about it. You don't see that he throws behind his short receivers and underthrows his long receivers. I see that all of the time. He doesn't come off of his primary receivers under pressure and locate his secondary receivers. I don't see that most analysts say that about his progression and awareness. I have read just the opposite. So, I guess we look at different areas. Good luck to the Colts today. I think the Raiders are the worst team in the NFL so Luck should have a picnic and go over 400 yards. If he doesn't, well, it may be a long season.

Well, we just are not going to agree on this so need to speak more about it. You don't see that he throws behind his short receivers and underthrows his long receivers. I see that all of the time. He doesn't come off of his primary receivers under pressure and locate his secondary receivers. I don't see that most analysts say that about his progression and awareness. I have read just the opposite. So, I guess we look at different areas. Good luck to the Colts today. I think the Raiders are the worst team in the NFL so Luck should have a picnic and go over 400 yards. If he doesn't, well, it may be a long season.

I agree with the majority of what you say here, But whether or not Luck goes over 400 yards is not going to determine the winner of this game. efficiency is going to determine the game in all phases of the game, If we cant stop Darren Mcfadden then there wont be any chance of a 400 yard game anyway, If he has to throw for that many yards then each one of our defensive players and special teams players better be looking at themselves in the mirror after the game and questioning there effort and attention to detail

Luck is the real deal and I expect him to be a top 5 QB easily within next year, this year expect a lot of improvement though which could be scary for everyone else on how good he played for a rookie

Who do you think he will pass to get there. P. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rogers, E. Manning, Big Ben, Flacco, Romo, Ryan, Stafford? You have to get in the top ten to make the top five and you have to be in the top 15 to get into the top ten. RGIII, Kaepernak, Wilson, Schaub and Cam Newton.....