Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

cuts announced!

BronxColtNYC

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 1, 2013 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, September 1, 2013 - personal argument

And you sound like a sheep. Blindly accepting things the way they are, without questioning why

That was the best respnse you could come up with? Sorry, I don't see everything having Bull hockey motives.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the small portion of the interview I saw with Pagano, he sure made it sound as if the 3-4 was going to be the main staple of our defense from now on and what we saw last yr. wasn't going to happen this yr.. what we done in preseason tells me nothing on what we'll do in the regular season. Will we see some 4 man fronts? Sure, but I'm not sure it will be anywhere close to 40%. We could see a lot more exotic sets this season, something many are not familiar with from our defense. I just think that if we were going to be in a 4 man 1 gap 40% of the time, that they would have kept Nevis around.

It's not just four man fronts. It's 1-gap fronts, and we'll use plenty. The Ravens used plenty when Pagano was coordinator in 2011 (and they were in nickel nearly 50% of the time, but that's not the same as 1-gap fronts; there's 245 and 335 and 155 and a ton of other ways to play nickel without using either a four man front or a 1-gap front, so I have to be careful with my terms here). We've used plenty of 1-gap fronts in preseason, probably more than 40% of the time.

I understand that we want to be more adept in our three man fronts. We have some better options at nose tackle now, which is huge. We have a better Sam backer on running downs. I get it. We're not going to be prisoners of circumstance moving forward; we're going to run what we want to run, because we have the personnel to do so. What I'm saying is that I don't think that means that we're not going to use defensive fronts -- whether three man, four man, or otherwise -- that Nevis can't be effective in. 

What I will say is that your logic is sound. If we are going to be in 1-gap fronts as often as I think we will be, then it makes sense to have kept Nevis. And that's why I think we should have kept him. If that means that we're NOT going to be in 1-gap fronts that often, then it means that I'm totally misunderstanding what Pagano wants his defense to be. And that's fine; it wouldn't be the first time I was completely off base. But I don't think the whole "we're a 3-4, Nevis is a 4-3 lineman" argument holds muster. JMO.

And going back to Eric Foster, I think the comparison does a disservice to a far superior player like Nevis. 

Last thing, I don't have my panties in a bunch. I'm defending my position because I think it's reasonable, not because I'm in a state of revolt. I just think we should have kept Nevis. But this isn't a season making/breaking decision. It's minor, all things told.

When you look at some of the players retained over him, I'm sure you could find a roster spot for him for a few weeks until a suitor comes forward, It's not like he was at the bottom of the roster, in terms of talent. It's not like we HAD to keep Reed, Sergio Brown or Griff Whalen. Guys who will probably be cut at some point anyways 

In fairness, we had to be at 53 by 6PM. There's just no time for trades for lower level players like Nevis (I'm a fan, but he's a lower level player) right before cut day. And he doesn't have a lot of value otherwise.

Brown and Reed probably aren't hot commodities, but I think Griff Whalen is a player. Nothing special, he's not going to lead the league in receiving yards or anything, but a solid guy to have as your WR4. It would have been dumb to release Griff Whalen, because he'd have been snapped up in a heartbeat, and he will be on the field for us while Brazill is suspended, and maybe beyond that.

That was the best respnse you could come up with? Sorry, I don't see everything having * motives.

lol at you thinking your "Oliver Stone" post was even worthy of a serious response. I bet you thought that was grade A material in your head, right?

And I don't think everything has a motive. It's not like I'm the only person who saw that certain players have a longer leash than others on this roster. And I won't apologize for questioning why, either. If that bothers you, tough

It's not just four man fronts. It's 1-gap fronts, and we'll use plenty. The Ravens used plenty when Pagano was coordinator in 2011 (and they were in nickel nearly 50% of the time, but that's not the same as 1-gap fronts; there's 245 and 335 and 155 and a ton of other ways to play nickel without using either a four man front or a 1-gap front, so I have to be careful with my terms here). We've used plenty of 1-gap fronts in preseason, probably more than 40% of the time.

I understand that we want to be more adept in our three man fronts. We have some better options at nose tackle now, which is huge. We have a better Sam backer on running downs. I get it. We're not going to be prisoners of circumstance moving forward; we're going to run what we want to run, because we have the personnel to do so. What I'm saying is that I don't think that means that we're not going to use defensive fronts -- whether three man, four man, or otherwise -- that Nevis can't be effective in. 

What I will say is that your logic is sound. If we are going to be in 1-gap fronts as often as I think we will be, then it makes sense to have kept Nevis. And that's why I think we should have kept him. If that means that we're NOT going to be in 1-gap fronts that often, then it means that I'm totally misunderstanding what Pagano wants his defense to be. And that's fine; it wouldn't be the first time I was completely off base. But I don't think the whole "we're a 3-4, Nevis is a 4-3 lineman" argument holds muster. JMO.

And going back to Eric Foster, I think the comparison does a disservice to a far superior player like Nevis. 

Last thing, I don't have my panties in a bunch. I'm defending my position because I think it's reasonable, not because I'm in a state of revolt. I just think we should have kept Nevis. But this isn't a season making/breaking decision. It's minor, all things told.

I get it. I think Nevis was a good player too, but I just have to trust that they cut him for a reason. don't mean I agree with them on everything. My personal beefs from today was that McGlynn and K. Williams at this point are still employed by the Colts. I understand that McGlynn is versatile and has some value in keeping(as a backup), but I hate that were wasting a roster spot on a 4th string RB who IMO isn't anything worth hanging onto.

In fairness, we had to be at 53 by 6PM. There's just no time for trades for lower level players like Nevis (I'm a fan, but he's a lower level player) right before cut day. And he doesn't have a lot of value otherwise.

Brown and Reed probably aren't hot commodities, but I think Griff Whalen is a player. Nothing special, he's not going to lead the league in receiving yards or anything, but a solid guy to have as your WR4. It would have been dumb to release Griff Whalen, because he'd have been snapped up in a heartbeat, and he will be on the field for us while Brazill is suspended, and maybe beyond that.

I think Griff and Brazil might be fighting for a job next year once he's back.  I think DHB will do well enough that we will try to keep him if we can.  I think the Colts will do something about Reggie's "replacement" in this draft and with Hilton on the roster that probably leaves one WR spot on the roster next year for Brazil or Griff and what they do this year might go a long way towards deciding that. 

I'm not saying trade him now, I'm saying keep him on the roster, build his trade value and then trade him. He may be a lower level player, but he has more potential ( and production) than other players who were retained on the roster. That is enough to merit a spot on the final 53, in my opinion

lol at you thinking your "Oliver Stone" post was even worthy of a serious response. I bet you thought that was grade A material in your head, right?

And I don't think everything has a motive. It's not like I'm the only person who saw that certain players have a longer leash than others on this roster. And I won't apologize for questioning why, either. If that bothers you, tough

Poor Brucie got his feeling hurt

Right now we have 53 players on the active roster with Brazill able to come back after week 4 which would make it 54. when we activate Brazill we will have to deactivate somebody (follow me here it kinda gets confusing) The most players we have at any one position is 5 as Follows

Corner

Safety

DE/DT (I did not count the NT's because they are not interchangeable with the possible exception of Hughes)

we were not going to have less then 5 Corners on the roster

Nobody seems to know if Lefeged will be suspended yet which would drop our Safety count down to 4 for 4 games

Now you cant deactivate a DE/DT because we only have 5 so it seems to me either a WR or am extra DE/DT had to go, Right now we needed that extra spot that keeping that extra Safety created for when Brazill comes back because we still need that elusive 5th wr

Make sense? I might have given this one to much thought

I get it. I think Nevis was a good player too, but I just have to trust that they cut him for a reason. don't mean I agree with them on everything. My personal beefs from today was that McGlynn and K. Williams at this point are still employed by the Colts. I understand that McGlynn is versatile and has some value in keeping, but I hate that were wasting a roster spot on a 4th string RB who IMO isn't anything worth hanging onto.

Agreed in principle. I knew we'd keep McGlynn, but he was terrible this preseason, and Thornton, Reitz and Linkenbach make him completely expendable. I don't get it. Maybe his experience at center was the saving grace, but I really think our staff are taken with him. Williams, I think, won out over Jones, and I called that (yes, I pulled a muscle patting myself on the back there), and I understand it. I think he has more potential to help this team than Jones does, and if we need another tight end, there are a dozen guys available as of 4PM tomorrow that are as good as he is.

Back to Nevis, of course they have a reason. Probably a fine one. Again, this isn't earth shattering. I just disagree. Personally, I'd have kept Moala on PUP into the regular season and kept Nevis, and if you still didn't think he was part of the team's future, you could trade him easier in Week 3 before you activate Moala than you could on cut day. And it comes down to what you just said: he is a good player, and good players who produce can help you, even if they are considered odd fits. We kept Freeney at $14m; I can't understand not keeping Nevis because he's not a five tech end.

I think Griff and Brazil might be fighting for a job next year once he's back.  I think DHB will do well enough that we will try to keep him if we can.  I think the Colts will do something about Reggie's "replacement" in this draft and with Hilton on the roster that probably leaves one WR spot on the roster next year for Brazil or Griff and what they do this year might go a long way towards deciding that. 

Brazill didn't earn a roster spot this preseason, that's for sure. Ironically, if not for his suspension, I don't think he'd still be on the team.

I'm not saying trade him now, I'm saying keep him on the roster, build his trade value and then trade him. He may be a lower level player, but he has more potential ( and production) than other players who were retained on the roster. That is enough to merit a spot on the final 53, in my opinion

Fair point.

I posted earlier , in another thread , that Nevis would not be cut.  So i'm pretty much in agreement with you , but I'm not upset. More surprised than upset ... plus I like being right. Anyway.. it what it is. There's been a lot of talk about who is going to rush the passer. I think what some might be discounting is that Pagano will scheme a good deal of the pass rush , plus we now have two good CB's.

Brazill didn't earn a roster spot this preseason, that's for sure. Ironically, if not for his suspension, I don't think he'd still be on the team.

Well other than Whalen and the starters no one else earned a roster spot at WR either.  Whalen almost earned it by default because he at least caught some passes.  Brazil could have at least fallen back on what he did last year as showing potential.  That's more than anyone else excluding the starters and Whalen have.  Reed might have been the odd man out or on IR had Brazil not been suspended because I think Brazil showed enough last year that they wouldn't have given up on him after one year.  Oh well, it's all moot now though at least till week four. 

I posted earlier , in another thread , that Nevis would not be cut.  So i'm pretty much in agreement with you , but I'm not upset. More surprised than upset ... plus I like being right. Anyway.. it what it is. There's been a lot of talk about who is going to rush the passer. I think what some might be discounting is that Pagano will scheme a good deal of the pass rush , plus we know have two good CB's.

Okay, but you manufacture a pass rush because you lack pass rushers. You don't get rid of one of your better interior pass rushers and then say "it's okay, we'll manufacture a pass rush." That's backwards. So is "we have corners now, we'll be okay with a lesser pass rush." A good pass rush improves your coverage much more than good coverage improves your pass rush.

Other than that, I agree with you. I'm not upset, I just disagree with the decision. And I'm not buying the popular logic of "Nevis didn't fit our defense." 

Well other than Whalen and the starters no one else earned a roster spot at WR either.  Whalen almost earned it by default because he at least caught some passes.  Brazil could have at least fallen back on what he did last year as showing potential.  That's more than anyone else excluding the starters and Whalen have.  Reed might have been the odd man out or on IR had Brazil not been suspended because I think Brazil showed enough last year that they wouldn't have given up on him after one year.  Oh well, it's all moot now though at least till week four. 

True, prior to camp, Brazill was probably a lock for WR4, despite his suspension. But I'm saying that, if we weren't able to keep him without using a roster spot, he might be out the door. He did nothing this preseason.

True, prior to camp, Brazill was probably a lock for WR4, despite his suspension. But I'm saying that, if we weren't able to keep him without using a roster spot, he might be out the door. He did nothing this preseason.

Yeah I know what you are saying I think he would have cut Reed or IRed him and used Williams as a returner or something else had Brazil not been suspended.  I mean let's be real it's not like Reed earned a job here this pre-season as a WR too although I fully understand he was kept mainly as a returner.  It's an interesting debate but none the less a moot one that neither of us can prove what would have happened.  Maybe we find out after week four.

When you look at some of the players retained over him, I'm sure you could find a roster spot for him for a few weeks until a suitor comes forward, It's not like he was at the bottom of the roster, in terms of talent. It's not like we HAD to keep Reed, Sergio Brown or Griff Whalen. Guys who will probably be cut at some point anyways 

I am not trying to give you a hard time but it seems like he is not the caliber of player you seem to think he is. So Griggs is suppose to cut another player who he thinks can contribute and keep a roster spot for a player that's not wanted? Griggs short track record speaks for itself. Griggs started the day dealing with 90 players and all this negativity over one? 

Okay, but you manufacture a pass rush because you lack pass rushers. You don't get rid of one of your better interior pass rushers and then say "it's okay, we'll manufacture a pass rush." That's backwards. So is "we have corners now, we'll be okay with a lesser pass rush." A good pass rush improves your coverage much more than good coverage improves your pass rush.

Other than that, I agree with you. I'm not upset, I just disagree with the decision. And I'm not buying the popular logic of "Nevis didn't fit our defense." 

Ahhh... you misunderstand the old man. I'm not saying any of that stuff at all. If you read my post in the other thread , I said no way in heck do the Colts release Nevis. I totally disagree with the move but I realize these guys see the players everyday in camp and I've seen a few plays against 2nd teamers.

I was just addressing the pass rush issue as to how I think it will play out. In no way was I saying that we don't need pass rushers because we can scheme and we'll cover better than before. I did run two trains of thought together so my bad and not your fault you misunderstood.

they didn't even give Adongo a chance..or Mcnary...and TE jones and FB Robert H. showed a lil something to me...wth ???and why would they wanna keep McGlynn...but cut Ben I.??? 

Neither Adongo or McNary played in a preseason game. They're projects that could wind up on the practice squad. Hughes and Jones fell victim to the numbers game. McGlynn could be Satele's backup at center. I don't know why so many thought Ijalana had a chance.

they didn't even give Adongo a chance..or Mcnary...and TE jones and FB Robert H. showed a lil something to me...wth ???and why would they wanna keep McGlynn...but cut Ben I.??? 

I guess because McGlenn can play both guard spots and center also. As far as Ben I. ... I dunno if he's a legit NFL player at this time. I say that I don't know .. cause I don't know , not as in a doubt him. I do agree with you that McGlenn is not good. Adongo and Mcnary don't belong on the 53 . Thinking maybe PS for one or both.

Sorry grm.  Didn't mean to post the same as you ... 

Adongo had a lot to over come.  This isn't some college kid just learning the pros this is a guy trying to learn the game of football.  You can't just throw guys out there if they don't know what they are doing because that's a good way to either get hurt yourself or hurt someone else.  Adongo is what the practice squad is for.  It gives a kid a chance to learn the game when he's not good enough to be on the active roster. 

McNary was hurt all pre-season as someone else said this weekend you don't make a roster in the training room. 

Jones and Hughes just got caught in the numbers game.  Which of the three tightends kept ahead of Jones would you have liked cut to keep in his place?  Havili was better than Hughes and a lot of teams don't have one fullback on their roster let alone too.  Just numbers

Ijalana is a tackle and had been working mostly at tackle.  McGlynn is a guard.  Frankly, as much as people don't like McGlynn he's been good enough to start for the Colts.  Just because we don't like him and he's been bad doesn't automatically make someone else better.  Ijalana couldn't get past playing with the second and third stringers in the pre-season there was no way he was going to be kept over a guy in the Colts eyes was good enough to start for them.  Ijalana just got done in by injuries and probably is not anything close to the kid we drafted in athletic ability, which is what got him drafted in the first place because he was viewed as a bit raw as a tackle when he was drafted, and he's just living proof that life isn't fair when it comes to injuries. 

I can't believe we let him go for nothing.

I agree here. I would imagine the waiver claims are piling up for Nevis. I just can't believe we couldn't get any kind of pick out of him. Nevis will find a home no problem. Really stinks that Ben I. wasn't able to get back in form.

Adongo had a lot to over come.  This isn't some college kid just learning the pros this is a guy trying to learn the game of football.  You can't just throw guys out there if they don't know what they are doing because that's a good way to either get hurt yourself or hurt someone else.  Adongo is what the practice squad is for.  It gives a kid a chance to learn the game when he's not good enough to be on the active roster. 

McNary was hurt all pre-season as someone else said this weekend you don't make a roster in the training room. 

Jones and Hughes just got caught in the numbers game.  Which of the three tightends kept ahead of Jones would you have liked cut to keep in his place?  Havili was better than Hughes and a lot of teams don't have one fullback on their roster let alone too.  Just numbers

Ijalana is a tackle and had been working mostly at tackle.  McGlynn is a guard.  Frankly, as much as people don't like McGlynn he's been good enough to start for the Colts.  Just because we don't like him and he's been bad doesn't automatically make someone else better.  Ijalana couldn't get past playing with the second and third stringers in the pre-season there was no way he was going to be kept over a guy in the Colts eyes was good enough to start for them.  Ijalana just got done in by injuries and probably is not anything close to the kid we drafted in athletic ability, which is what got him drafted in the first place because he was viewed as a bit raw as a tackle when he was drafted, and he's just living proof that life isn't fair when it comes to injuries. 

Regarding McGlynn, I personally didn't hop on the "McGlynn should be cut" train until Thornton clearly outplayed him in game 3. So it's not that him being bad automatically makes someone else better. We now have seen someone else play noticeably better -- a rookie, at that.

I am surprised that Gordy and Sergio Brown made the team over Price and Green. Neither player did anything in the preseason to keep their spot while Green played great in special teams and Price looked good in coverage after the first game. Hopefully we can keep Price on the practice squad because he has a lot of potential and we only have 5 CB's on the roster.

Price needs practice squad time IMO

Then I guess the million dollar question is...

If either, Hughes, Mathews, or Moala can muster up any inside pass rush?

The jury is out on our pass rush. I am optomistic Werner and Walden may help.

But without a push up the middle, we may struggle pressuring the QB.

I feel Nevis was our best 3rd down option. Cutting him was a mistake I feel.

We soon shall see.

This is true!!!

I'm confused please help me out and figure out why do I keep getting 54 guys in the final roster....

QB: A. Luck, M. Hasselbeck (2)

FB: S. Havili (1)

RB: V. Ballard, A. Bradshaw, D. Brown, K. Williams (4)

LT: A. Castonzo, J. Reitz (2)

RG: D. Thomas (1)

C: S. Satele, K. Holmes (2)

RG: M. McGlynn, H. Thornton (2)

RT: G. Cherilus, J. Linkenbech (2)

TE: D. Allen, C. Fleener, J. Cunningham (3)

WR: L. Brazill, D. Heyward-Bey, T.Y Hilton, D. Reed, R. Wayne, G. Whalen (6)

DE: C. Redding, F. Moala (2)

DT: RJF, M. Hughes, R. Matthews (3)

NT: J. Chapman, A. Franklin (2)

ILB: P. Angerer, K. Conner, J. Freeman, M. Harvey, K. Sheppard (5)

OLB: R. Mathis, E. Walden, B. Werner, C. Rayford (4)

CB: D. Butler, V. Davis, J. Gordy, G. Toler, C. Vaughn (5)

S: D. Howell, L. Landry, J. Lefeged, A. Bethea, S. Brown (5)

LS: M. Overton (3)

P: P. McAfee

llK: A. Vinatieri

TOTAL = 54 (?) wth

Brazill does not count yet.

Disappointed about Ijalana. Was rooting for him, but it's not surprising, given his playing time and his injury history.

But the feeling I have about Nevis is different. I feel like the team made a bad call. Yeah, he doesn't fit the 3-4 (I disagree with that basic premise, but whatever). But he's a good player, and he contributes. It's nothing like Eric Foster, who was an undersized defensive linemen who played hard and won over fans, but wasn't big enough or good enough. Nevis isn't undersized, and he doesn't get by on heart alone. He's a talented player, and had a role in this defense that he played well.

I don't think this makes or breaks the team. But I do disagree with it.

Other than that, the roster looks about how I expected it to.

Agreed. I would have made 2 changes but otherwise it is about like I thought it would be.

There is no trade value when other teams know he'll be released soon anyway.

This much I agree on. I can't stand the guy starting and would love to see him replaced, but for whatever reason the coaching staff seems to love him. I can see his value as a backup center, but beyond that, I'll be the 1st to admit that I don't get it.

I don't like him starting. I believe he is insurance for Satele this year and will be cut next year.

Regarding McGlynn, I personally didn't hop on the "McGlynn should be cut" train until Thornton clearly outplayed him in game 3. So it's not that him being bad automatically makes someone else better. We now have seen someone else play noticeably better -- a rookie, at that.

Oh I fully agree that I thought Thornton after game three and am on board with the start Thornton over him because if for no other reason he can learn and grow into the job and I really don't think there would be a major drop off between McGlynn and Thornton if anything it might be an improvement.  I was just saying the Colts viewed him as a starter and they weren't going to cut a guy they viewed as a starter for a guy who has been playing mostly with the third string all pre-season. 

McNary was injured nearly all of camp and has not played in 2 years. Adongo has never played football. If they make the PS they can learn and compete next year.