Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats cut Tebow

Gramz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with you on this. And Tebow did earn that in Denver which is why they started him every game from week 6 on. Since Denver? Not so much but he has not had a team committed to him either. A shame really as I really think he and Fox could have made it work given Fox's desire to be conservative and run. I guess we will never know.

You do make a great point amfootball. HC John Fox doesn't get near enough credit for revamping an entire offense, starting completely over, & still winning games. Not an indictment against Tebow at all & even with a great defense in Denver Tim still needed to make plays & too his credit he did do that there. I will give Tim props for that. He deserves that. Now, in NY...I blame Rex Ryan, but NE, I have tremendous respect for that organization & if can't win there where can he? JMO...

You do make a great point amfootball. HC John Fox doesn't get near enough credit for revamping an entire offense, starting completely over, & still winning games. Not an indictment against Tebow at all & even with a great defense in Denver Tim still needed to make plays & too his credit he did do that there. I will give Tim props for that. He deserves that. Now, in NY...I blame Rex Ryan, but NE, I have tremendous respect for that organization & if can't win there where can he? JMO...

I agree. Fox does not get enough credit for what he did. He transformed that team around Tebow.

In terms of the Pats, not sure they were a great fit for Tebow given Brady is still there which is why the signing was such a head scratcher from the start.

One can only assume that Tebow believes God wants him to pursue being a QB in the NFL. That is why he isn't giving up. If true, then he should keep trying, but if it turns out to be his own personal mission and not God ordained, then some of you are right. He should continue his ministry full time. Don't we all struggle with what we should do with our time on Earth? A little boys dream and this is his one chance.

Bad QBs tend not to make rosters... shocking revelation. I think we have seen the last of Tebow, he has kept us thoroughly entertained for quite a while now...but his lack of ability was always going to catch up with him in the end.

Vince Young also got cut, but he is not a bust of course.

Bad QBs tend not to make rosters... shocking revelation. I think we have seen the last of Tebow, he has kept us thoroughly entertained for quite a while now...but his lack of ability was always going to catch up with him in the end.

Vince Young also got cut, but he is not a bust of course.

If Vince Young would have had the maturity to match he skills, he could have been successful. 

My own confession: I am a long time Vince Young fan. Ever since his heroics against USC I've expected him to be a great qb. My fandom was tempered while he was a Titan, but I still liked him. I watched every snap in Green Bay and was very excited to see him look good in game 3, and was disappointed when he was cut.

Many football fans have a similar experience of pulling for a player just because we believe in them. However, if I was making Vince Young threads on a colts board or if I was repping Young on a Packers board I expect people would find me irritating at worst and an easy target at best. If I wanted to make friends with fellow Vince Young fans I would probably seek out a Texas board, or maybe a dedicated fan site.

You can't expect the average fan to share your enthusiasm for a borderline nfl player. They'll just think you're nuts.

FWIW.

My own confession: I am a long time Vince Young fan. Ever since his heroics against USC I've expected him to be a great qb. My fandom was tempered while he was a Titan, but I still liked him. I watched every snap in Green Bay and was very excited to see him look good in game 3, and was disappointed when he was cut.

Many football fans have a similar experience of pulling for a player just because we believe in them. However, if I was making Vince Young threads on a colts board or if I was repping Young on a Packers board I expect people would find me irritating at worst and an easy target at best. If I wanted to make friends with fellow Vince Young fans I would probably seek out a Texas board, or maybe a dedicated fan site.

You can't expect the average fan to share your enthusiasm for a borderline nfl player. They'll just think you're nuts.

FWIW.

yeah, well,  I am the one who started this thread.....  Not because I am a Fan of his,  and certainly Not to support him,  or bash him...  just reporting the news as I saw it.

Na, he didn't have an NFL QB skillset. Game manager with running abilities... not enough.

Sometimes that is all you need.  There are many QBs who didn't have the NFL QB mindset, were game managers, and couldn't run and yet they had long careers and even won a Superbowl or two. 

Sometimes that is all you need.  There are many QBs who didn't have the NFL QB mindset, were game managers, and couldn't run and yet they had long careers and even won a Superbowl or two. 

He is extremely limited though. He is only comfortable making 10 yard throws or less, and he isn't even that accurate whilst doing it. Can't go through progressions either. He could probably do an okay job for a team if he got back to his former self... but he will never be the heralded 3rd overall pick and future star of the league that he was made out to be.

Much better than Tebow though.

One can only assume that Tebow believes God wants him to pursue being a QB in the NFL. That is why he isn't giving up. If true, then he should keep trying, but if it turns out to be his own personal mission and not God ordained, then some of you are right. He should continue his ministry full time. Don't we all struggle with what we should do with our time on Earth? A little boys dream and this is his one chance.

The will of God is not a vocation, it is a lifestyle. Tebow is no more out of God's will playing football then he would be in a broadcast booth or as a preacher. As long as he is doing what God commands, e,g, be saved, sanctified, thankful, etc then he is in God's will. I think what polarizes him to a certain extent is the fact that as an NFL player he has lived out God's will in a league where players are seemingly getting arrested everyday - perhaps a more important mission field than being in a church.

FWIW.

This is the NFL General section so I would think anything goes. Opinions vary no matter what the topic. There really hasn't been many Tebow threads at all until the Pats signed him. 

yeah, well,  I am the one who started this thread.....  Not because I am a Fan of his,  and certainly Not to support him,  or bash him...  just reporting the news as I saw it.

No offense.  Just offering my heartfelt condolences to the Tebow fans.

The will of God is not a vocation, it is a lifestyle. Tebow is no more out of God's will playing football then he would be in a broadcast booth or as a preacher. As long as he is doing what God commands, e,g, be saved, sanctified, thankful, etc then he is in God's will. I think what polarizes him to a certain extent is the fact that as an NFL player he has lived out God's will in a league where players are seemingly getting arrested everyday - perhaps a more important mission field than being in a church.

Danny Wuerffel, also a strong Christian QB from Florida, said that when he was struggling to stick in the NFL, he felt only he and his wife thought he could actually make it as a QB in the NFL. Well, he didn't stick even though he believed he could and should. You and I don't know if he was obeying Gods will or if he was unsure and just plugging away. The Bible is replete with characters struggling with Gods will and their path.

Danny Wuerffel, also a strong Christian QB from Florida, said that when he was struggling to stick in the NFL, he felt only he and his wife thought he could actually make it as a QB in the NFL. Well, he didn't stick even though he believed he could and should. You and I don't know if he was obeying Gods will or if he was unsure and just plugging away. The Bible is replete with characters struggling with Gods will and their path.

I don't remember Danny's story. I do think the will of God is an interesting subject. I think most of the characters in the Bible struggled with obeying vs. understanding His will.  :)

But my larger point was the will of God itself. The Bible never says God's will is x vocation. What it does say is that it is God's will that all men/women be saved, sanctified, pure, thankful, etc. It is a lifestyle vs. a life work. I don't see playing football as any less holy if you will than being a pastor as long as you are obeying what God says to do in your everyday life. He works through a life that is dedicated to Him.

I don't remember Danny's story. I do think the will of God is an interesting subject. I think most of the characters in the Bible struggled with obeying vs. understanding His will.  :)

But my larger point was the will of God itself. The Bible never says God's will is x vocation. What it does say is that it is God's will that all men/women be saved, sanctified, pure, thankful, etc. It is a lifestyle vs. a life work. I don't see playing football as any less holy if you will than being a pastor as long as you are obeying what God says to do in your everyday life. He works through a life that is dedicated to Him.

I don't disagree with that and I don't believe I was saying anything to the contrary. 

A true Christian does NOT (in my opinion) wear his religion on his sleeve..unless that is his calling

So you believe a true Christian, who isn't a pastor should hide their faith?  

As far as Tebow, he's a media creation.  Other players including QB's like Kurt Warner have been vocal about their faith.  It isn't just his faith that has created this.  

I think it's a combination of looks, faith, and where he is from.  Christians from the southern part of the US are very different then most Christians from elsewhere in the world in my experience.  They are more prone to following personalities and developing strong attachments to them.  

They are in my experience much more prone to get attached to and follow personalities like Tebow.  My in-laws are in the South, Tebow is a bigger deal there to many of the people.  

The main opinion of Christians here that I talk to (and I am one) is that he's a guy that was a great college QB in the system he played in but just can't cut it in the NFL.  We of course apprechiate the fact that he's a guy that is open about his faith, talks about it, and seems to follow it rather well, but that doesn't make the dude an NFL QB.  Nor for the record does that necessarily make him a pastor or missionary, those things are important but they are hardly the sole requirements for the job.  Just like Tebow is very athletic which tends to help in the NFL but it's hardly the sole requirement.