Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Its not Caldwell'd fault

amff

In a way it is, but mostly not. Apparently he isn't allowed to be assertive with his coordinators. If i were head coach i would be right up in their business so far my forehead stop their food from going down..I think he has what it takes to be a good coach, but not if he doesn't start getting angry and assertive

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I've said it another thread and I'll say it again here.

With Peyton we could actually outscore most of the other teams and thus a mediocre defense was fine. Without Peyton, Caldwell now realizes he has to actually coach the team, and so far hasn't shown the ability to do so.

You state he's not allowed to be assertive with his coordinators. Is this factual info or just speculation on your part? What's the source of the info?

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I've said it another thread and I'll say it again here.

With Peyton we could actually outscore most of the other teams and thus a mediocre defense was fine. Without Peyton, Caldwell now realizes he has to actually coach the team, and so far hasn't shown the ability to do so.

You state he's not allowed to be assertive with his coordinators. Is this factual info or just speculation on your part? What's the source of the info?

That's the same as you saying that Caldwell realizes he has to actually coach the team now. I think he's coached the team all along. I am tired of double standard that is there with Caldwell. When we win he has nothing to do with it and is just taken along for the ride and it's largely due to Peyton Manning. When we lose it's all his fault. Now we are losing without Peyton Manning, the thing most people give us credit for winning with, and we aren't aloud to say Caldwell is losing because he doesn't have Peyton Manning. He's just supposed to over come that some how and the fact he can't over come that is some how Caldwell's fault? That's just wanting to blame Caldwell for us losing which is what a lot of people are doing.

We will never know if Caldwell could have won all those games as head coach without Manning. Perhaps you're watching a different team than I've seen. It's in difficult times like these that coaches either flourish or fail. This is when a coach actually proves his true worth.

Two times during the Pittsburgh game we sent Mathis all the way around to Freeney's side in an effort to get to Big Ben, only to be burned badly both times in critical situations. In the Tampa game at least 10-12 times we dropped the linebackers back about 15-20 yards and Freeman picked us apart. Why did we continue to do that?

So how many times do we attempt something that fails before we stop doing it? You probably read this in another thread but bears repeating here and is a factual statement that had been around forever. "Only a fool continues to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results." Perhaps the defensive coordinator is responsible, but he reports to the head coach and I'm quite sure Caldwell knew what was going on and did absolutely nothing to correct it. If he was aware of it then perhaps he didn't know what to do or is unable to multi-task which in either case does nothing to substantiate his ability to be a successful head coach in the NFL.

We will never know if Caldwell could have won all those games as head coach without Manning. Perhaps you're watching a different team than I've seen. It's in difficult times like these that coaches either flourish or fail. This is when a coach actually proves his true worth.

Two times during the Pittsburgh game we sent Mathis all the way around to Freeney's side in an effort to get to Big Ben, only to be burned badly both times in critical situations. In the Tampa game at least 10-12 times we dropped the linebackers back about 15-20 yards and Freeman picked us apart. Why did we continue to do that?

So how many times do we attempt something that fails before we stop doing it? You probably read this in another thread but bears repeating here and is a factual statement that had been around forever. "Only a fool continues to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results." Perhaps the defensive coordinator is responsible, but he reports to the head coach and I'm quite sure Caldwell knew what was going on and did absolutely nothing to correct it. If he was aware of it then perhaps he didn't know what to do or is unable to multi-task which in either case does nothing to substantiate his ability to be a successful head coach in the NFL.

Exactly he's a horrible coach that can't seem to make adjustments on the fly and looks like a deer caught in the headlights on the sidelines. The horrible season might not be all his fault due to Peyton being out but the responsibility lies with him and the other coaches.

Exactly he's a horrible coach that can't seem to make adjustments on the fly and looks like a deer caught in the headlights on the sidelines. The horrible season might not be all his fault due to Peyton being out but the responsibility lies with him and the other coaches.

Horriable Coaches don't take teams to Super Bowls or get them to the playoffs when they were as beat up as they were last year and don't have the players speak so highly of them like ours do when asked about Caldwell.

Again if Peyton Manning is the main reason this team wins according to people then if he's not there you have to account for that when they lose. No one seems willing to do that. They just say it's bad coaching by Caldwell and I think that's because people just don't like Caldwell.

Is Caldwell great? No I have never said he is. However there is a step between being a great and being horriable. I think he's there. He's a decent coach. He clearly has his faults but he also does things well. The defense I blame on Coyer. Caldwell is an offensive coach who doesn't coach the defense. I do think Coyer needs to go at the end of the year and we'll see if Caldwell dumps him for not. If he doesn't he could be done in by the samething that did Mora in his unwillingness to fire an assistant coach. What do we see people doing here though, not blaming Coyer for his bad scheme. They are reaching to blame Caldwell.

Also in case people haven't noticed this team isn't getting blown out every week like a lot of people expect them to be. The past two weeks they played games that most people outside of Colts land didn't think they would be in. Yet both games they had a chance to win late. So while they aren't translating to wins I do think Caldwell is doing something right. Losing Peyton Manning isn't like a bad call that you just have to over come. It cripples your team. Again, most of the people who follow this for a living said this team had no chance without Peyton Manning and they are being proven right.

That's without talking about all the other players this team is missing.

Due to all those injuries on Monday Night as much as fans don't want to hear this they were handcuffed on what they can do. Again JMV reported that he talked to a Colts player this week and asked why they played that defense and they said they did it because Coyer didn't trust the young guys on the outside in man coverage. I am betting if we had blitzed and we got burned in man coverage people would be screaming why were they in man coverage with so many young guys!

Also they did make an adjustment on Monday Night that did go unnoticed and I'll admit it wasn't much. In the first half the Bucs were taking chances going down the field on downs where Freeney and Mathis were out of the game resting. In the second half one of them stayed in the game on just about every down while one would rest to help try to take that away.

As long as this team keeps playing hard and they don't go 0-16 I think Caldwell is going to be back. Will his whole coaching staff be back? That I wouldn't be so sure of.

Two times during the Pittsburgh game we sent Mathis all the way around to Freeney's side in an effort to get to Big Ben, only to be burned badly both times in critical situations.

I see that you were listening when the announcers were ripping this. However I often find that I'm better informed about the Colts than the announcers are (not more knowledgeable about football, just more familiar with the Colts). Contrary to their comments, the Colts have used variations of this play many times in the past. They continue to do so because it has been repeatedly successful. Does that meet your criteria for someone deciding whether to try something again?

Have you actually watched any other Colts games?

In the Tampa game at least 10-12 times we dropped the linebackers back about 15-20 yards and Freeman picked us apart. Why did we continue to do that?

Amazing how much better the scheme looked with a healthy Sanders and Hayden in there (not to mention Jackson). Common sense suggests that they tell the DBs to play back because they have a legitimate concern with them giving up bomb after bomb if they play up. It's the lesser of two evils, not stupidity. This is a very young defensive backfield. I would hope that they will be able to play a bit more aggressively with experience - even if it's just swarming to the ball faster after the catch is made (and as Thomas and Rucker - who should have more ability than the UFAs - work their way into the rotation).

And I'm just guessing based a little on what I've read with a lot of common sense thrown in - on top of the underlying assumption that the coaches actually know a heck of a lot more about football than I do. What makes you think that they are incompetent? If something they do doesn't make sense to you, how about trying to figure out why they do it, because the other alternative (assuming that they simply never thought of the grand idea that you just came up with) is simply absurd.

In a way it is, but mostly not. Apparently he isn't allowed to be assertive with his coordinators. If i were head coach i would be right up in their business so far my forehead stop their food from going down..I think he has what it takes to be a good coach, but not if he doesn't start getting angry and assertive

No one wants an angry "assertive" headcoach on the side line... look at the cheifs head coach eventually someone is gonna take a swing at his face on the side lines. these arent kids they are grown men they dont need to be shunned. That being said even caldwells quotes are corny.... 6 inches at a time.... really? what is that?

I kind of feel bad for the guy because there seems to be a nice disconnect between him and the front office.

He did not know we signed Collins while Irsay is tweeting away. Then Polian basically says Painter will start and Jim is off telling the media that no decision has been made as to who will start on Sunday. If there is no disconnect they are not doing good job showing a united front.

OP, where did you hear that he is not allowed to deal with his coordinators? Do you have a link to a story or anything that backs that up? That is a pretty big thing to accuse the team of. If it is true then it makes Jim look even worse.

That's the same as you saying that Caldwell realizes he has to actually coach the team now. I think he's coached the team all along. I am tired of double standard that is there with Caldwell. When we win he has nothing to do with it and is just taken along for the ride and it's largely due to Peyton Manning. When we lose it's all his fault. Now we are losing without Peyton Manning, the thing most people give us credit for winning with, and we aren't aloud to say Caldwell is losing because he doesn't have Peyton Manning. He's just supposed to over come that some how and the fact he can't over come that is some how Caldwell's fault? That's just wanting to blame Caldwell for us losing which is what a lot of people are doing.

Not a Caldwell fan but + 1

... agreed and Ill take it a step further and say what I have said again ;)

The Colts have been successful in large part to the 3-Ms Manning, Moore, Mudd ... they are all out of the picture right now and the lack of "coaching" is sticking out like a sore thumb! A couple of those guys must have simply been looking to get out of town and not retire - they are both working with other teams already!

Horriable Coaches don't take teams to Super Bowls or get them to the playoffs when they were as beat up as they were last year and don't have the players speak so highly of them like ours do when asked about Caldwell.

obviously they can once! anyone who thinks coach caldwell was more than just a passenger was'nt paying attention. tom moore and peyton mannig have run that team since dungy left and somewhat before he left. i can remember numerous times peyton waiving the punt team off the field and going for it, or running to the sidelines and telling coach to challenge plays. i have said before but not again if all 31 jobs opened tomorrow coach c would not be at the top of anyones list. most coaches would not

be as good without peyton, ours is just horrible!!

It's just really frustrating for fans to watch so many 3rd and long downs get converted. It sounds so cliché, but the Tampa 2 is the embodiment of 'bend but don't break'. Without proper pressure, it is a strategy that essentially yields FG's in place of TD's. We know that Peyton converts mad points, so with him in, the strategy often pays off.

Defense becomes much easier inside the red-zone, thats when we're dropping the Tampa 2 for straight cover 2. Like it or not, we're not going to change out our defensive scheme. We're keeping it in place for Manning's return. The only solution is for our offense to score more TD's.

We'd be 3-1 at worst with Manning and that is with the horrible coaching staff and 3-1 is a bit of stretch because I think even the first game would be entirely different with 18 under center.

Manning has covered up deficient spots on the team, both players, scheme, and coaches. He's the main reason that we have had the success that we have had, and it's also the main reason that we get stopped in the playoffs, because that is when you face the top line teams.

Nobody with an eye on reality expects Caldwell to have a winning record without Manning, and nobody with an eye on reality can call him a good coach or even a main reason that we went to the Super Bowl, two trips to the playoffs or two division titles. He's along for the ride. Hopefully the silver lining of this horrible decision is that we correct the mistake made after Dungy retired and that was hiring an unqualified coach that is, was and will be in over his head at this level.

I believe that's the definition of insanity. Our DC/head coach match the definition of insanity? Just saying...

Again if Peyton Manning is the main reason this team wins according to people then if he's not there you have to account for that when they lose. No one seems willing to do that. They just say it's bad coaching by Caldwell and I think that's because people just don't like Caldwell.

The thing is it's hard to tell what Caldwell does. 95% of coaching is done in training camp and practice in between games which fans don't see. We've seen BB only because he's been filmed doing it.

Judging Caldwell srtictly by his looks on gameday is hard. I'd hate to have to play poker with him:)

Regardless every year is different and I for one didn't think the colts would do well this season before Manning was known to be out anyway..

Regardless every year is different and I for one didn't think the colts would do well this season before Manning was known to be out anyway..

Same here. Primarily due to the players that make up our secondary, as well, I had great fears that the injury bug was going to follow us into this season as well.

Same here. Primarily due to the players that make up our secondary, as well, I had great fears that the injury bug was going to follow us into this season as well.

exactly. the secondary and I didn't see quality backups because injuries are pretty much guaranteed these days.

part of football today is a marathon in surving injuries. We got Mayo out, it hurts but we have the backups to continue on without missing that much a beat.

exactly. the secondary and I didn't see quality backups because injuries are pretty much guaranteed these days.

part of football today is a marathon in surving injuries. We got Mayo out, it hurts but we have the backups to continue on without missing that much a beat.

All the more reason to increase the cap limit and the number of men on the active roster. Some of these lower tier players get cut and re-signed 3-4 times a year.

Horrible Coaches don't but when you have been inserted to a Super Bowl caliber team, its not much Coaching to do. Plus having a robot as a QB cleans up alot of coaching errors and more. Peyton's a better coach then Caldwell.

Horrible Coaches don't but when you have been inserted to a Super Bowl caliber team, its not much Coaching to do. Plus having a robot as a QB cleans up alot of coaching errors and more. Peyton's a better coach then Caldwell.

This is so true. People make this arguement, but let's watch how the team keeps regressing each year that he's here. I, like many others, believe that it was Peyton who took the team to the Super Bowl and playoffs, and this year's just showing how much he did/does and how little the rest of the coaches do.

I don't care how many points we score, a medocre defense is never fine to me. Plus, the defense has been less than medocre. They have been ok at stopping teams from scoring a lot of points for the most part but they never have been able to get off the field or stop the run. If we had had a medocre defense we would have won more Superbowls.

You know this how?

Could you please list those times where he hasn't shown us the ability to do so?

Could it be our talent is good enough to play another way? Our team has brought in talent to play under very specific style and conditions, and without Peyton and the highscoring offense, you are screwed. You can try all you want but a flat headed screwdriver can't screw in a non flat headed screw. Our defense is built on the idea of playing with a lead, thus dictating the other team to play a certain way and you can't change that over night or in one season.

Could it be our talent is good enough to play another way? Our team has brought in talent to play under very specific style and conditions, and without Peyton and the highscoring offense, you are screwed. You can try all you want but a flat headed screwdriver can't screw in a non flat headed screw. Our defense is built on the idea of playing with a lead, thus dictating the other team to play a certain way and you can't change that over night or in one season.

The defense never should have been built small in the first place imo and should have been changed around ages ago. Undersized at virtually every position on the front 7 we are def headed in the right direction but i stil think significant changes must be made.

The defense never should have been built small in the first place imo and should have been changed around ages ago. Undersized at virtually every position on the front 7 we are def headed in the right direction but i stil think significant changes must be made.

Colts went with the idea of speed and mass bodies on the ball and you can't argue with the overall success of the franchise over the past decade.

All the more reason to increase the cap limit and the number of men on the active roster. Some of these lower tier players get cut and re-signed 3-4 times a year.

I wouldn't want to increase much. That's where a good part of the strategy lies in football, cap management.

The games look even faster this season..is that just me? Lot of injuriies around the league.

I wouldn't want to increase much. That's where a good part of the strategy lies in football, cap management.

The games look even faster this season..is that just me? Lot of injuriies around the league.

I think injuries are up because these guys were left to workout on their own. and i would say

most did'nt hit it like they would a training camp. i have things to work out with in my basement, but unless i go to the gym i dont work nearly as hard. jmo

That sounds like a logical argument supported by sound reasoning.

That kind of behavior is frowned upon by this establishment! ;) Good post!!

Coaching on D and ST does not cut it when compared to other elite teams in the league. Heck, even the Bengals are playing D like world beaters. Getting the talent is half the battle and coaching them up is the other half. So coaches and management have to share the blame on this collective failure. Performance on the field or lack of does roll up back to the head coach but it is not just his fault. Not having quality depth falls more on management than on the coaches. Schemes and situational play on the field falls on the coaches, no doubt. To be fair, it is also safe to say that Caldwell has taken responsibility in the past and I expect him to do so in the future as well.

We have won games before where Manning has not scored a TD (Browns 2008 game 10-6, 2009 49ers game with Addai throwing TD pass, I think we won 19-14, I think), and the 2010 Chiefs game with Mike Hart scoring the rushing TD (19-12, if I remember right). The key in all those games were, even if we did not score enough points/TDs, we sustained drives. Painter and the Colts offense need to sustain drives, to give our D's legs a rest on the sidelines so that they will be a bit more fresh to make plays. I don't care even if it is the 2000 Ravens' D or 1985 Bears' D, if the offense does not give the D enough of a breather by sustaining drives, the efficiency of a defense goes down gradually if the time of possession is tilted in the favor of the opposition offense.

Unless the D is asked to change its philosophy and take more risks with the downside of it accounted for, I cannot see our D carrying our O every single time. The O has to sustain drives, the D will feed off it and do enough to get us a few wins, that is the most we can hope for.

It looks like 24 is the new 17, so if we score 24 points, our D has a good shot at home of helping us come out with a win, IMO. Still, our D has not played a good offense since the Texans, IMO. I dread what the Saints and Patriots will put up on our D on the road. I just don't want our team towards the second half of the season getting rolled over like the Cowboys did last year. If the losses and injuries keep piling up, will we still be able to hang closely with the better teams we will play starting with game 7 of our schedule vs the Saints? We will find out, morale wise and talent wise.

It never ceases to amaze me that there are Caldwell defenders using the same old...."But he took us to the superbowl...or......

he coached us to the playoffs last year with all those injuries." First of all, he didn't take us to the superbowl. Peyton took us to the superbowl. I agree that Caldwell was there, blank stare and all. You'd have to search the globe to find someone other than a Caldwell boot-licker who wouldn't agree that he was completely outcoached and responsible for a superior team losing that game.

Jim Harbaugh has the 49ers at 3-1 with considerably less talent than the Colts have. That's what a good coach means to a team. Of course, he was a proven winner in college unlike our annointed one was at Wake Forest.

We're 0-4 and will be lucky to win 3 games. We have the worst coach in the NFL. He did nothing to earn the job...other than Dungy "grooming" him for the position. The Caldwell experiment has failed....miserably!!!!!!!!

This is so true. People make this arguement, but let's watch how the team keeps regressing each year that he's here. I, like many others, believe that it was Peyton who took the team to the Super Bowl and playoffs, and this year's just showing how much he did/does and how little the rest of the coaches do.

your argument is pointless because coaches our only a good as the players they have to coach think about basketball phil jackson won all those rings but when he won them he had jordan and pippan and shaq and kobe? coaches get the most out of their players and put them in positions to suceed.

It never ceases to amaze me that there are Caldwell defenders using the same old...."But he took us to the superbowl...or......

he coached us to the playoffs last year with all those injuries." First of all, he didn't take us to the superbowl. Peyton took us to the superbowl. I agree that Caldwell was there, blank stare and all. You'd have to search the globe to find someone other than a Caldwell boot-licker who wouldn't agree that he was completely outcoached and responsible for a superior team losing that game.

Jim Harbaugh has the 49ers at 3-1 with considerably less talent than the Colts have. That's what a good coach means to a team. Of course, he was a proven winner in college unlike our annointed one was at Wake Forest.

We're 0-4 and will be lucky to win 3 games. We have the worst coach in the NFL. He did nothing to earn the job...other than Dungy "grooming" him for the position. The Caldwell experiment has failed....miserably!!!!!!!!

If you really believe that Caldwell and the coaches had nothing to do with getting this franchise to the Superbowl and the playoffs last year you really have no clue how a professional football team operates. Your distaste for Caldwell has no basis in fact or logic.

What did the Head Coach of the Cowboys do to be named HC? What did the HC of the Falcons do to "earn" the job? What about Mike Timlin? Heck what did Tony D do to earn his first head coaching job?

your argument is pointless because coaches our only a good as the players they have to coach think about basketball phil jackson won all those rings but when he won them he had jordan and pippan and shaq and kobe? coaches get the most out of their players and put them in positions to suceed.

Really, what has he done to prove the opposite then? Sure, a good coach needs talent too, but I think this year shows how much was the talent and how little was the coach. Other than Peyton, we should be better than last year. We've been right in the last 3 games. Yet due to poor coaching, we failed to make the changes that needed to be made and lost all 3 of those games (I know, this is opinion, but I think it's a fair thing to say). So, while I partially agree that coaches are only as good as the players that they have, I also believe that this team has much more talent than it is showing this year, which is due in large part to the coaching.