Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans Antonio Smith Suspended

HtownColt

The NFL will suspend Texans defensive end Antonio Smith for one regular-season game and Houston's remaining two preseason games for forcibly removing the helmet of Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito and then dangerously swinging it at him.

Frankly, it's a disgrace he only got one regular season game. What a terrible precedent to set that a guy smoking weed is considered 4 times worse than an assault with a deadly weapon on the field. Smith's lucky Incognito's not a litigious person and won't press charges. What he did could easily be considered an actual crime and cross the line beyond the NFL being able to handle it in-house.

Disgraceful behavior and even more disgraceful penalty. It's hard enough being a football fan knowing the sport's rotten to the core without seeing a guy get a pinch on the wrist for trying to bash an opponent with his own helmet.

Haven't seen the play in question but if it is as bad as everyone saying then Smith totally deserves the suspension, no doubt about it. I remember he and Incognito getting into it last year as well. Incognito is a well-known * around the league but this is no way to respond to him. Hopefully Smith learns from this and doesn't lash out again.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/08/20/texans-antonio-smith-to-appeal-suspension/

Smith has come out and said that he thought the penalty was too harsh because he didn't swing the helmet AT him. It is unbelievable to me how little people take responsibility for their actions. Does Smith know it is on video for all to see him just miss knocking Incognito's head off?

“I didn’t swing (the helmet) at him,” Smith said, according to the Houston Chronicle. “I was restrained. I caught myself. I did it out of frustration, but I brought the helmet back slow to my body so I wouldn’t hit him. I think the suspension is a little harsh because I restrained myself.”

“I will appeal. Anybody would in this situation,” Smith added. “I want to state my case. I’ve never had anything like this before. I’m surprised it included a regular-season game.”

the guy that retaliates always gets it.  Smith is 'That Guy'.  Incognito shoved his left hand up inside Smith's facemask during the play, then grabs the mask with left hand. As Smith Disengages, Incogito takes a swing with his right hand but catches mostly air. That's when Smith loses it and yanks off Incognito's helmet and nearly clubs him with it.  Smith has to keep his cool and find a way to get back at him next play between the whistles without doing blatant illegal moves.

Icognito1_zps3f9dd0fa.jpg  Icognito2_zpsfc02cb10.jpg   Icognito4_zps4ddd2a6b.jpg

Icognito5_zpsffcae379.jpg (Smith} = I guess neither one of us can lead with the crown of YOUR helmet...     ;)