Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper: Top 25 players who are age 25 and under.....

NewColtsFan

Guess who is #1      :thmup:

Yes,  Andrew is first on the list....    this is all young NFL talent, regardless of talent...

The criteria was talent...  production....   and future potential....   position played was factored...

Luck was first...   JJ Watt was 2nd....   Von Miller was 3rd...   Wilson and RG3 were 4th and 5th....

Here was Kiper's write-up for Luck.....      Enjoy!       :thmup:

Att 627          Comp pct 54.1       Yds 4,374       TD 23       Int 18

Current:  If you rely on raw totals from Luck's rookie season, such as a record for rookie passing yards, he looks good.  But I think he looks even better in context.  If you think the Colts were fortunate to win 11 games while being outscored on the season, you might be right, but remember that Luck was the main reason they did.  His knack for clutch play led to comeback wins in games that maybe the team didn't deserve based on the numbers.  And if you consider those records just more modern fluff, remember that he set them while throwing to numerous rookies (Indy led the league with 50 drops) behind an offensive line that allowed him to be sacked 41 times and take more hits than any other NFL quarterback.  This ranking is not an indication that Luck performed better than the two other QBs from his class listed just below, but I'm not sure any rookie quarterback faced a bigger challenge.

Future:  As I said, Luck didn't outpace Russell Wilson or Robert Griffin III based on performance in 2012, but he has a small edge.  He is a big quarterback at nearly 240 pounds, has great mobility and strength, manipulates the pocket well, and has shown no reason to think he'll be prone to injury.  He'll never again be hit as often as he was as a rookie.  Perhaps more importantly, he'll just now get fully comfortable as he gets his college offensive coordinator back (Pep Hamilton) and will gain a better familiarity with his receivers and (hopefully) better blocking.  The future is what pushed him to No. 1 for me, and he'll still qualify for this list 365 days from now.

The last sentence was put into BOLD by me to catch your attention!       :thmup:

Finally...someone overlooks all the menaingless  early season interceptions and sees what really happened...

Playing with better teammates and better defenses....Wilson and Griffin (Romo and Cutler) did LESS than Luck.

..and the truth is....Luck can play MUCH bettre than  he did last year

..when he throws for 5,000 yards (better receivers - better line - more experience ....and he threw for 4,300 last year) ) this season, it will be obvious that Luck is the bets fo the class of 2012...

Please forget balance....you get no points for balance

5,000 is going to become the norm for top QBs

Drew Brees is already there.....Peyton Manning will get to 5,000 this year....

Brady's lost a lot of good hands but Stafford, Ryan...all in or near the 5000-club

..and Indy will need 5,000 yards passing to make the playoffs. Its our strength

Props to Kiper for getting this one right, something he rarely does.

I don't like how every analyst or list of this sort essentially is saying that RG3 would/should be #1 if it wasn't for his injury situation. His injury situation is real so he belongs where he is...

Brady's lost a lot of good hands but Stafford, Ryan...all in or near the 5000-club

no way he throws for five thousand yards. If he does, it means we are behind a lot in games.

Finally...someone overlooks all the menaingless  early season interceptions and sees what really happened...

Playing with better teammates and better defenses....Wilson and Griffin (Romo and Cutler) did LESS than Luck.

..and the truth is....Luck can play MUCH bettre than  he did last year

..when he throws for 5,000 yards (better receivers - better line - more experience ....and he threw for 4,300 last year) ) this season, it will be obvious that Luck is the bets fo the class of 2012...

Luck was amazing last season! He was playing behind a terrible o-line and was throwing high risk passes down the field. Because of that he got sacked 41 times and threw some int's. He still was able to throw for 4300 yards and lead his team to a 11-5 record. Luck to me was by far the best rookie in the league last season. By the way if he wasn't such a great athlete he would have been sacked many more times. 

Please forget your "we must air it out every single game" mantra...you don't get points for having a 5K yard passer either.  Balance, however, is much more likely to win you games, especially in the playoffs.  

I will be very surprised if Luck hits 5K yards this season.  He may surpass that total at some point in his career, but throwing for 5K yards is hardly the norm.  Brees was the only QB to surpass that number last year.  

Also, Indy will NOT need 5K yards passing to get to the playoffs...we didn't last year did we? ;)  What we'll need is a balanced attack so that both the run and pass are viable threats. We'll need a quality OL that can open holes in the running game and give Luck a pocket to throw from.  

I've always been a pass first run later kind of fan. But I understand the importance of running, as as much as I love seeing Luck air it out we need better balance. However, I do agree that our strength will absolutely be in our passing game. You play to your strengths. 

We really, really don't want Luck to throw for 5,000 yards.    Really.

It may be normal,  but it's not desirable.    When this offense works at it's best,  it hums right along because defenses don't know what to expect.    Not only who is Luck throwing to,  but also will he even be throwing?   Or will he be handing off?

You want some level of balance.    Perhaps not 50-50,   but something closer to that than what we had last year.

You want diversity.....   you want every possible offensive weapon to be maxed out on his potential....

If we eventually get to that level,  this offense will be a beautiful thing to watch with Luck running it.   Seriously.

A beautiful thing to watch....          :thmup:

Just to touch on this pass/run discussion some have brought up here, I think about the best split for our Colts team would be about a pass-run ratio of 55/45. I think it is very important to establish the run, but I also acknowledge that our best player on offense is Andrew Luck, the QB. I want the ball in his hands as often as possible without becoming too predictable. I also really hope Pep gives Luck the ability to call his own plays at the line and really lets him become the master of the offense a la Peyton Manning during his Colts years. Luck has the brains and the ability to read a defense that should translate well into calling his own plays.

As far as Luck being rated #1 on this list, I obviously agree and I hope that it comes to fruition that way. I have really wondered just how good Wilson truly is. He looked great at times last year, and looked great at the pro bowl, but he also played on a much better team than Luck and RGIII did. It sort of became in vogue after the season was over for sports "pundits" to proclaim him the best of the three QBs because of the way he finished the season despite the discussion having been primarily Luck vs. RGIII up to that point. It will be interesting to see if that was a flash in the pan or if he really is the caliber of Luck and RGIII.

Just some food for thought....Luck was also Stanford's best offensive weapon, but in 2011 they averaged 32 pass attempts per game to 40 rushing attempts.  So they essentially used a 44/56 pass/run ratio...yes they averaged running the ball MORE than passing the ball..even with Luck at QB.  

Personally I think I'd be happy with anywhere from 55/45 to 45/55.  

JJ Watt should be #1, Luck is #1 over watt because he plays QB and Watt plays the not so sexy 3-4 DE

I agree.  I think Luck has everything going for him to be one of the all time greats when he is done but JJ Watt is, right now, the single most dominate player in the NFL. 

So what he was still held in check by his standards in week 17 by mcglynn and justice.

Like Dustin said, if that's called held in check that just proves his dominance also add a batted pass to the stats Dustin gave for his week 17 performance.

And add a forced fumble on the Goaline in week 15 to his 10 tackles 3 sacks and 6 tackles for loss that game

Please forget your "we must air it out every single game" mantra...you don't get points for having a 5K yard passer either.  Balance, however, is much more likely to win you games, especially in the playoffs.  

I will be very surprised if Luck hits 5K yards this season.  He may surpass that total at some point in his career, but throwing for 5K yards is hardly the norm.  Brees was the only QB to surpass that number last year.  

Also, Indy will NOT need 5K yards passing to get to the playoffs...we didn't last year did we? ;)  What we'll need is a balanced attack so that both the run and pass are viable threats. We'll need a quality OL that can open holes in the running game and give Luck a pocket to throw from.  

Sounds like the 'flat earth society, my man. It really does...

You've living in 1983...listening to Asia, Debbie Gibson  and Billy Ocean

In today's NFL...

Brees is over 5,000 3 years in a row...Tom Brady has 10,000 yards the last 2 years...

....Other QBs are between 4,500-5,000. Dont get hung up on the number

You throw to set up the run..not the other way around. Its today's NFL

We were lucky to be 11-5 last year..we can admit it...Luck hit 54%..This year he hits 60% and 5,000...and he'll be one of a half dozen near that mark

You'd be surprised to see Luck play statistically as well as Manning. Brees and Brady?

Then I predict you will be surprised. 

Sounds like the 'flat earth society, my man. It really does...

You've living in 1983...listening to Asia, Debbie Gibson and Billy Ocean

In today's NFL...

Brees is over 5,000 3 years in a row...Tom Brady has 10,000 yards the last 2 years...

....Other QBs are between 4,500-5,000. Dont get hung up on the number

You throw to set up the run..not the other way around. Its today's NFL

We were lucky to be 11-5 last year..we can admit it...Luck hit 54%..This year he hits 60% and 5,000...and he'll be one of a half dozen near that mark

You'd be surprised to see Luck play statistically as well as Manning. Brees and Brady?

Then I predict you will be surprised.

Steven Ridley ran for 1263 yards and 12 tds for the patriots.

Only 6 QBs were over 4500 yards last season http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards

2 of them are Romo and Stafford, how far did that get them?

And Aaron Rodgers took 51 sacks while throwing 4300 yards.

Josh Freeman threw for over 4,000 yards with Doug Martin rushing for 1454yrds and 11tds.

You said Luck will have 5,000 60%, Drew Bree's was the only player to do that last year, and nobody years before that

Steven Ridley ran for 1263 yards and 12 tds for the patriots.

Only 6 QBs were over 4500 yards last season http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards

2 of them are Romo and Stafford, how far did that get them?

Josh Freeman threw for over 4,000 yards with Doug Martin rushing for 1454yrds and 11tds.

..and 10 years ago..no one was over 5,000,  Your numbers prove MY point

..............a half dozen QBs were over 4,500..you say..>

Brady has 10,000 the last 2 years..

Peyton Manning and his 'rag' arm threw for 4,500....

You're back in the 80s as well...

The game has changed. You either run with it...or go looking for phone booths and VCRs..

....Know any teams that are afraid of the Colts running game?......almost everyone fears our passing game

Still want to run???

As I said on the other thread: As far as all this running the football stuff goes, you can run the football a lot and still have Luck put up monster numbers. For example, last year tom brady threw for over 4800 yards and 34 tds, and their RB Stevan Ridley had 290 carries for over 1200 yards and 12 tds. I realize their offensive line is better than ours, but I feel like our O-line will be much better this year with 4 possible new starters, and at least 2 new starters for sure. Our RBs can have good, solid seasons, and we can still throw the ball a lot. If Bradshaw can have 800-1000 yards with 6-8 TDs, and Ballard have 400-600 yards and 3 or 4 TDs, Luck can still throw for close to 4500 yards and get 28+ TDs. It's not like you have to pick one, either run the ball well or pass the ball well, you can do both.

..and 10 years ago..no one was over 5,000, Your numbers prove MY point

..............a half dozen QBs were over 4,500..you say..>

Brady has 10,000 the last 2 years..

Peyton Manning and his 'rag' arm threw for 4,500....

You're back in the 80s as well...

The game has changed. You either run with it...or go looking for phone booths and VCRs..

....Know any teams that are afraid of the Colts running game?......almost everyone fears our passing game

Still want to run???

Drew Brees is the only player recently to have 60% and 5,000 yards. (Might be ever, dont feel like looking it up)

And how is me showing you that Romo and Stafford throwing for that many yards did them 0 good,

Aaron Rodgers was just getting beat up throwing every down taking 51 sacks, then they draft 2 of the best backs in the draft in Lacey and Franklin

And showing you the good running game Brady had in Ridleys 1263yards and 12tds.

And out of those 6 QBs that threw for 4500 or more, 3 made the playoffs and 1 QB were one and done.

And the only QB with the running game(Brady, Matt Ryan didn't have a run game) that threw over 4500 made it to the AFC Championship game because they were balanced in their attack

You are missing the point. You have to see the trend..

Nobody was over 4,500 10 years ago, we're they....?

Find GREAT QBs who dont throw for 4,500-5,500 yards...

You cite Stafford ands Romo

I cite ..Rodgers, Brees. Brady and Manning are in the 4,500-5.500 range every year..

I want us to throw to Reggie, DHB, Allen, Hilton, and Fleener more than I want to hand off to the Killer nonsense

(bradshaw, Brown and Ballard)

I just dont see Chuck Pagano running Vic Ballard into JJ Watt and Brian Cushing 15 times just so we can have balance..

We wont beat Houston running 60 times

You are missing the point. You have to see the trend..

Nobody was over 4,500 10 years ago, we're they....?

Find GREAT QBs who dont throw for 4,500-5,500 yards...

You cite Stafford ands Romo

I cite ..Rodgers, Brees. Brady and Manning are in the 4,500-5.500 range every year..

I want us to throw to Reggie, DHB, Allen, Hilton, and Fleener more than I want to hand off to the Killer *

(bradshaw, Brown and Ballard)

I just dont see Chuck Pagano running Vic Ballard into JJ Watt and Brian Cushing 15 times just so we can have balance..

We wont beat Houston running 60 times

We ran it 32 times that game and threw it 28 times vs Texans at home as I recall we won that game by 12.

You site 4 QBs out of 32 teams although Aaron Rodgers only threw over 4500 yards once in his career.

You fail to realize Brady has a really good run game to compliment him. And still throws for a ton of yards because its so easy for him because his run game really gives him bigger throwing lanes.

Andrew Luck can throw for 4500 yards way more easier if he has a run game like how Tom Brady has that compliments him, but simply dropping back 45-50 times a game isn't doing anything but putting your franchise QB at bigger risk to get hurt with all them big bodies flying around him everytime he drops back