Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 reason why Colts will win the AFC South

Everyone

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make several good points rabidfan77. If you take away Foster, Schaub does struggle in some cases to get a 1st down & move the chains. But, going deep in the Playoffs is all about 2 things: not turning the ball over & a tight, stout defense. Houston & Indy are overflowing with talent & this year's division battle is gonna be 1 hades of a dogfight IMO. Neither team is going to roll over & play dead. I don't see an easy banner trampling here personally on our side. It's a toss up. Last year is ancient history. It means nothing. We all hit the reset button & start from scratch. Yes, the final 2 minute drills were impressive for Luck no question, but if Luck can improve why not Schaub? 

True the only reason i'm so confident is qb play, Luck by far has the potential to be better than Schaub by the end of this yr. I know we still need to see the guys play but I'm confident the colts are going to make a lot of progress on run stopping def, considering the revamped dline. I think this unit will be most important in the Hou games. If we follow the GB and NE models we could force Schaub into a shootout with Luck and I like Luck's chances in that battle haha. There's no question Hou's not going to roll over but I don't think they will be as big of a problem on the field as they are on paper come Nov. haha. When Schaub's own qb coach calls him out as needed to step up his game in his 9th year, it's probably not a good sign of things to come. While Hou is built to make a run similar to the 2000 Ravens and 2005 Steelers, the biggest difference is overall league qb play. In his last 6 games in the 2012 season Schaub threw just 4 td's and 4 int's in the span of a month and a half; whatever happened in that NE game broke his confidence because he came out of that game a different qb the rest of the season, that's how they let home-field advantage slip away late in the season the offense or more specifically Schaub regressed badly. Make no mistake Schaub is going to have to win a shootout without his running game at it best at some point in the playoffs to get his team to the SuperBowl. And if he doesn't have the threat of the run I don't think he'll get it done with 1 great wr, 1 good TE, and 1 great RB catching passes, its silly to expect a rookie WR to pick up the game at the NFL level his rookie year and truly be a pass-catching threat (all players have an adjustment period their rookie year). So Schaub has 3 proven pass catching options compared to Luck's possible 6 proven options (wayne, hilton, allen, bradshaw, fleener, dhb). We seen what Luck did behing a terrible Oline with time in the pocket this year he will only get better especially in a variation of his college offense, which plays to his strengths. The best thing that could've happened for our team is the fact that Bruce is now the Cards HC, now they can take some of that pressure off of Luck to do everything and play prefect. Anyways getting back to my original point, I've watched Schaub closely these pass 2 years and I don't think he can keep the division title away from us when we have a competitive team not when the biggest differences between the Colts and Texans is probably qb play.   

Oh dear. Counting never was my strong point. I'm going to count to eleven in future before I hit send.

Joking, I knew it was six. Just wanted to emphasise my point.

I know you think out your 'tactics' before you write my friend!  That is why we enjoy you so much....well at least I do :)   :lol:

there are days I read the forum and think we all partied to much, come on Brent tell us all what u really had at the birthday party last weekend, whatever it is, get me some quick , mom,   95 Tomorrow and hasn't tried anything but prescription yet, its about time , maybe even we can get her to stop babying me 

We had waaay too much cake....:)  The kids were here!!

Happy 95th to Mom....Pops heading towards 92....

Note to Mom:  NEVER quit babying bayone....he is your great son!!!!  :)

We had waaay too much cake.... :)  The kids were here!!

Happy 95th to Mom....Pops heading towards 92....

Note to Mom:  NEVER quit babying bayone....he is your great son!!!!   :)

Great birthday to your Pops  up coming 92

mom at this age is a handle and all the stress ( loving ) I'm getting , well she may just outlast me

Great birthday to your Pops  up coming 92

mom at this age is a handle and all the stress ( loving ) I'm getting , well she may just outlast me

I have felt the same way since Mom passed....gotta keep on keeping on....!  Pops is meaner than a rattler...that helps :)

I have felt the same way since Mom passed....gotta keep on keeping on....!  Pops is meaner than a rattler...that helps :)

Mom may like a younger man at this time, not many older anyway, maybe we can set up a blind date with your pops

we can be brothers if all works out

Snoknockind wants to know what is with the 3rd person references all the time? 

Bluebambi asked me this same question once. Here is what I told him in response:

One of my favorite TV programs, now in re-runs, starred Ted Danson as Dr. John Becker. And Becker, a sarcastic physician, always ate at Reggie's Diner. 1 of the regular customers at that establishment always addressed himself in the 3rd person "Bob does this...Bob hates that" kind of thing. It always struck me as genius & hilarious at the same time like a guy living his life through a near death experience. In other words, using 3rd person is a great comedic device because it allows you too comment on situations that happen to you almost from a distance like the circumstance is happening to someone else & you are just observing the fallout shielded from any collateral damage. Plus, it funny as hades IMO.

So, SW1 is paying homage to "Becker" & Bob Whiley & using 3rd person as a comical anecdote to life's situations & commenting on them for primarily humor or to make a logical, serious point about a situation or circumstance. 

I hope that answers your question Snoknockind. 

Bluebambi asked me this same question once. Here is what I told him in response:

One of my favorite TV programs, now in re-runs, starred Ted Danson as Dr. John Becker. And Becker, a sarcastic physician, always ate at Reggie's Diner. 1 of the regular customers at that establishment always addressed himself in the 3rd person "Bob does this...Bob hates that" kind of thing. It always struck me as genius & hilarious at the same time like a guy living his life through a near death experience. In other words, using 3rd person is a great comedic device because it allows you too comment on situations that happen to you almost from a distance like the circumstance is happening to someone else & you are just observing the fallout shielded from any collateral damage. Plus, it funny as hades IMO.

So, SW1 is paying homage to "Becker" & Bob Whiley & using 3rd person as a comical anecdote to life's situations & commenting on them for primarily humor or to make a logical, serious point about a situation or circumstance. 

Sounds like Becker ripped off Seinfeld and the "Jimmy" episode.

Sounds like Becker ripped off Seinfeld and the "Jimmy" episode.

You could be right BOTT. I was never into the whole Seinfeld frenzy when that show was so popular on NBC so I never saw the "Jimmy" episode. I could search for it on You Tube I guess. It's odd because Larry David, the chief writer on Seinfeld for awhile, is a master at cut throat sarcasm. I didn't care for Seinfeld, but I loved his material on HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm." 

You were right on point BOTT. Seinfeld was a hit before Becker was. So yes, Becker's Bob Wiley character was a spinoff of an original Seinfeld character. "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" right?

I still like Bob on Becker though...

True the only reason i'm so confident is qb play, Luck by far has the potential to be better than Schaub by the end of this yr. I know we still need to see the guys play but I'm confident the colts are going to make a lot of progress on run stopping def, considering the revamped dline. I think this unit will be most important in the Hou games. If we follow the GB and NE models we could force Schaub into a shootout with Luck and I like Luck's chances in that battle haha. There's no question Hou's not going to roll over but I don't think they will be as big of a problem on the field as they are on paper come Nov. haha. When Schaub's own qb coach calls him out as needed to step up his game in his 9th year, it's probably not a good sign of things to come. While Hou is built to make a run similar to the 2000 Ravens and 2005 Steelers, the biggest difference is overall league qb play. In his last 6 games in the 2012 season Schaub threw just 4 td's and 4 int's in the span of a month and a half; whatever happened in that NE game broke his confidence because he came out of that game a different qb the rest of the season, that's how they let home-field advantage slip away late in the season the offense or more specifically Schaub regressed badly. Make no mistake Schaub is going to have to win a shootout without his running game at it best at some point in the playoffs to get his team to the SuperBowl. And if he doesn't have the threat of the run I don't think he'll get it done with 1 great wr, 1 good TE, and 1 great RB catching passes, its silly to expect a rookie WR to pick up the game at the NFL level his rookie year and truly be a pass-catching threat (all players have an adjustment period their rookie year). So Schaub has 3 proven pass catching options compared to Luck's possible 6 proven options (wayne, hilton, allen, bradshaw, fleener, dhb). We seen what Luck did behing a terrible Oline with time in the pocket this year he will only get better especially in a variation of his college offense, which plays to his strengths. The best thing that could've happened for our team is the fact that Bruce is now the Cards HC, now they can take some of that pressure off of Luck to do everything and play prefect. Anyways getting back to my original point, I've watched Schaub closely these pass 2 years and I don't think he can keep the division title away from us when we have a competitive team not when the biggest differences between the Colts and Texans is probably qb play.   

Again rabinfan77, no one arguing that Matt Schaub needs to cut down on his interceptions even Houston fans will admit that fact if they are being honest with themselves. Yes, Luck does have incredible poise in the pocket particularly when the pocket collapses or implodes, but Watt & Cushing are defensive game changers that always create havoc, generate sacks, & cannot be underestimated. SW1 is old school. Winning is all about intimidation, punishment, & and a bloody attrition of your opponent's will. Never offense. Think 1985 Bears, 1990 Lawrence Taylor NY Giants, & 2000 Baltimore Ravens. 

Yes, the Colts have improved our defense too with Chapman & Landry, but I'm not sure if our D is top notch right now. We will get there though by next season I think. I'm just not sold right here & now that's all I'm saying. 

Again rabinfan77, no one arguing that Matt Schaub needs to cut down on his interceptions even Houston fans will admit that fact if they are being honest with themselves. Yes, Luck does have incredible poise in the pocket particularly when the pocket collapses or implodes, but Watt & Cushing are defensive game changers that always create havoc, generate sacks, & cannot be underestimated. SW1 is old school. Winning is all about intimidation, punishment, & and a bloody attrition of your opponent's will. Never offense. Think 1985 Bears, 1990 Lawrence Taylor NY Giants, & 2000 Baltimore Ravens. 

Yes, the Colts have improved our defense too with Chapman & Landry, but I'm not sure if our D is top notch right now. We will get there though by next season I think. I'm just not sold right here & now that's all I'm saying. 

True, but times have changed in football southwest. Rules have changed. I think you need the QB now. Or at the very least a QB who can light it up when it matters a la Flacco/Eli/Big Ben even if they are mediocre for much of the regular season at times and live off defensive hype, those dudes can often make the plays needed when needed. A dude like Schaub has not shown us the "it" factor in the playoffs yet either. Granted he has just played in 2 postseason games but he isn't getting any younger and he also often has that deer in the headlights look to him.

I am not even sure you can be one of the old school teams you love now and win it all due to how the game has changed but yes you still need some defense of course. I hope you are right though, but even the 49ers changed a bit from 2011 to 2012 and started to become known more for offense when Kaepernick took over. I felt the 2011 Texans/49ers D's were better then the following seasons D's as teams caught on more to them too.

The closest I feel we had to a real recent defensive powerhouse SB performance was the '07 Giants if my memory is serving me correctly and I am likely forgetting a team or performance.....but that was very impressive to me. That Giants D was impressive that entire postseason run actually but even more in the SB.

Rest be assured. The Colts have "the QB." Now he needs polishing and a more balanced team. Colts also need experience and to become a better road team.

JMO

We can agree to disagree haha. I understand the old-school approach but today's NFL is not what it was in 2000 so I get your points but the trend of today's NFL is a focus on offense. There are far too many good qb's and offenses for defenses to shut them down like they use to. That concept is just about dead although your right it can still be done. My focus is more towards the New school approach of focus on offense. Regardless of how good Watt and Cushing are they along with the rest of the defense can't shut anybody down they can only slow them down, offenses are a lot more explosive than they were even in 2000. I know those defensive studs can't shutdown Indy's offense with all the weapons Luck has, especially if we get the running game going and get the much needed balance in our offensive attack.

OK carry on.

We can agree to disagree haha. I understand the old-school approach but today's NFL is not what it was in 2000 so I get your points but the trend of today's NFL is a focus on offense. There are far too many good qb's and offenses for defenses to shut them down like they use to. That concept is just about dead although your right it can still be done. My focus is more towards the New school approach of focus on offense. Regardless of how good Watt and Cushing are they along with the rest of the defense can't shut anybody down they can only slow them down, offenses are a lot more explosive than they were even in 2000. I know those defensive studs can't shutdown Indy's offense with all the weapons Luck has, especially if we get the running game going and get the much needed balance in our offensive attack.

Pats have had a top 3 offense the last three years. Ranked #1 the last 2 out of 3 years. No rings. Aaron Rodgers had what looked like an unstoppable offense in 2011 until the Gaints came to town. I wish it was just based on having a great O. But it is not. Although the game has changed, it has not changed that much in the playoffs. Defenses do shut down great offenses in the post-season. That has happened time and again the past 5 seasons with the Giants twice and then the Ravens. You need the D to win the ring.

OK...I will try!

BrentMc11 is ready for some Colts Football!

That is paying homage to my buddy SW1...who is paying homage to 'Becker Bob" who is a spin off of "Seinfeld Jimmy"

Hey...this 3rd person stuff's fun!   haha  :lol:  :funny:  :spit:

I think Andrew Luck is already the best QB in the AFC South-- that said, I don't think the Colts are quite as good as the Texans as a complete team yet when both teams are fully healthy. Each team won in their home stadium last year, and I don't see that changing this year. I expect the same result-- each winning at home against the other. I think both of them make the playoffs this year, with whichever team that does not win the division taking one of the Wild Card spots.

I like having both be strong playoff caliber teams. It makes the Divisional race interesting unlike most of the Manning years, and I always root for the a fellow AFC South team once the playoffs begin so long as they are not playing the Colts. It does make missing the playoffs a greater possibility if there are other strong Wild Card teams in other divisions and your team doesn't take the division, but all in all it makes everything more interesting and more fun to win. While I think the Titans are a more natural rivalry when they are good, I like the rivalry that is taking shape with the Texans and I hope both teams stay strong. I obviously really like the Colts chances with the QB and the coach.

there are these things called paragraphs

Pats have had a top 3 offense the last three years. Ranked #1 the last 2 out of 3 years. No rings. Aaron Rodgers had what looked like an unstoppable offense in 2011 until the Gaints came to town. I wish it was just based on having a great O. But it is not. Although the game has changed, it has not changed that much in the playoffs. Defenses do shut down great offenses in the post-season. That has happened time and again the past 5 seasons with the Giants twice and then the Ravens. You need the D to win the ring.

Preach it from the rooftops brother! Amfootball nailed it! 4 thumbs up!  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  

I'm not disputing the value of a fluid, scoring offense at all Jules &  rabinfan77 in previous posts, but Playoffs are all about crushing someone's will by preventing a crucial 3rd down conversion. The NFL hasn't changed that much. JMO.

True, but times have changed in football southwest. Rules have changed. I think you need the QB now. Or at the very least a QB who can light it up when it matters a la Flacco/Eli/Big Ben even if they are mediocre for much of the regular season at times and live off defensive hype, those dudes can often make the plays needed when needed. A dude like Schaub has not shown us the "it" factor in the playoffs yet either. Granted he has just played in 2 postseason games but he isn't getting any younger and he also often has that deer in the headlights look to him.

I am not even sure you can be one of the old school teams you love now and win it all due to how the game has changed but yes you still need some defense of course. I hope you are right though, but even the 49ers changed a bit from 2011 to 2012 and started to become known more for offense when Kaepernick took over. I felt the 2011 Texans/49ers D's were better then the following seasons D's as teams caught on more to them too.

The closest I feel we had to a real recent defensive powerhouse SB performance was the '07 Giants if my memory is serving me correctly and I am likely forgetting a team or performance.....but that was very impressive to me. That Giants D was impressive that entire postseason run actually but even more in the SB.

Rest be assured. The Colts have "the QB." Now he needs polishing and a more balanced team. Colts also need experience and to become a better road team.

JMO

The QB is a vital piece to a Lombardi trophy run Jules, but only 1 piece. Give SW1 a stout, monster defense over a smooth offense any day of the week. The 1999 Kurt Warner Rams are extremely rare. Defense wins Championships period 9 times out of 10. JMO. 

Fair enough. I have no problem with that. Yes, a reliable running game will be an asset for us. No argument there rabidfan77. 

I think Andrew Luck is already the best QB in the AFC South-- that said, I don't think the Colts are quite as good as the Texans as a complete team yet when both teams are fully healthy. Each team won in their home stadium last year, and I don't see that changing this year. I expect the same result-- each winning at home against the other. I think both of them make the playoffs this year, with whichever team that does not win the division taking one of the Wild Card spots.

I like having both be strong playoff caliber teams. It makes the Divisional race interesting unlike most of the Manning years, and I always root for the a fellow AFC South team once the playoffs begin so long as they are not playing the Colts. It does make missing the playoffs a greater possibility if there are other strong Wild Card teams in other divisions and your team doesn't take the division, but all in all it makes everything more interesting and more fun to win. While I think the Titans are a more natural rivalry when they are good, I like the rivalry that is taking shape with the Texans and I hope both teams stay strong. I obviously really like the Colts chances with the QB and the coach.

Me too Dudley Smith. Tight clutch division rivals with an equally matched adversary are awesome in my book...Bring it on!  :thmup:

OK...I will try!

BrentMc11 is ready for some Colts Football!

That is paying homage to my buddy SW1...who is paying homage to 'Becker Bob" who is a spin off of "Seinfeld Jimmy"

Hey...this 3rd person stuff's fun!   haha  :lol:  :funny:  :spit:

Told ya Brent! It is so entertaining to talk & communicate in 3rd person... :yahoo:

The QB is a vital piece to a Lombardi trophy run Jules, but only 1 piece. Give SW1 a stout, monster defense over a smooth offense any day of the week. The 1999 Kurt Warner Rams are extremely rare. Defense wins Championships period 9 times out of 10. JMO. 

I am not saying that you don't need defense. I just don't think though you can go back to the old school D's everyone admired......and you mentioned.

Too much has changed. Rules have changed. That was my whole point.

I am actually more concerned at times with being able to run the ball. You need to run the ball just as much as people preach defense IMO.

So what you are saying is that its a team sport. :)