Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Supplemental Draft

Not seen a topic on this as yet, I was just wondering if anyone thinks there is any good players to be had in the supplemental draft this year? My knowledge of college ball isn't deep enough really so just curious as to what the more learned think.

I can't see the Colts making any moves here as, correct me if I'm wrong, most of these players end in the the supplemental draft for getting kicked off a team.

Not for us... Charles Sims (RB) is the best player available... There are some WRs that might be able to play at the next level, but nobody worth giving up a 2014 pick for, IMO. Most of these guys have serious character concerns.

One guy that intrigues me is Eric Williams from Pittsburgh.. He's 6'3 215lbs. and he has versatility on defense. He played safety and linebacker last season, which would lead me to believe that he is good in coverage as an OLB... I wouldn't want to give up anything more than a 7th for him, though. Maybe not even that. He got busted for "using drug paraphernalia" and was under investigation for selling, but was not charged.  

Not for us... Charles Sims (RB) is the best player available... There are some WRs that might be able to play at the next level, but nobody worth giving up a 2014 pick for, IMO. Most of these guys have serious character concerns.

One guy that intrigues me is Eric Williams from Pittsburgh.. He's 6'3 215lbs. and he has versatility on defense. He played safety and linebacker last season, which would lead me to believe that he is good in coverage as an OLB... I wouldn't want to give up anything more than a 7th for him, though. Maybe not even that. He got busted for "using drug paraphernalia" and was under investigation for selling, but was not charged.  

Is there a confirmed link?  I have only seen "If necessary" there will be a sup draft.....

Not seen a topic on this as yet, I was just wondering if anyone thinks there is any good players to be had in the supplemental draft this year? My knowledge of college ball isn't deep enough really so just curious as to what the more learned think.

I can't see the Colts making any moves here as, correct me if I'm wrong, most of these players end in the the supplemental draft for getting kicked off a team.

Great question SCC! I just wish I had some profound insight for you on this topic buddy, but I don't unfortunately, the well has run dry on this one I'm afraid. Sorry man...

So how does the supplimental draft work anyways?  Do teams just bid what round pick they would be willing to give up for any player they like and the highest bidder wins if there is a bidder?  

Basically, yes.....

The NFL takes the previous year's draft order....   so, in this case,  they'd take the 2013 draft order,  and KC would have the first pick and then J'Ville....

A players name is announced....   every team in order is given a chance to say what pick they'd offer, if any....   the highest team wins.

Then,  the next name (if there is one is called)  and I think it starts with the highest team again,  unless that team drafted the first player,  and the process repeats.

I think that's pretty close.

But I think this story is a non-starter.....    so far,  no names have surfaced....   though I should probably say no "well known" names have surfaced....    there are always a couple of no names that no one has heard of...  and typically they don't get drafted and are then declared free agents....

Hope that clarifies....

As the article suggests, the supplemental draft is usually about guys who spent plenty of time in trouble of one kind or another, and are seeking an umpteenth chance to redeem themselves. Given the troubles the Colts have had this off-season, I really doubt the team would take a risk on anyone this year

As the article suggests, the supplemental draft is usually about guys who spent plenty of time in trouble of one kind or another, and are seeking an umpteenth chance to redeem themselves. Given the troubles the Colts have had this off-season, I really doubt the team would take a risk on anyone this year

Agreed,I think I was suffering from a little off season cabin fever.

Basically, yes.....

The NFL takes the previous year's draft order....   so, in this case,  they'd take the 2013 draft order,  and KC would have the first pick and then J'Ville....

A players name is announced....   every team in order is given a chance to say what pick they'd offer, if any....   the highest team wins.

Then,  the next name (if there is one is called)  and I think it starts with the highest team again,  unless that team drafted the first player,  and the process repeats.

I think that's pretty close.

But I think this story is a non-starter.....    so far,  no names have surfaced....   though I should probably say no "well known" names have surfaced....    there are always a couple of no names that no one has heard of...  and typically they don't get drafted and are then declared free agents....

Hope that clarifies....

I know it's pretty rare for a team to actually take a player in the supplimental draft.  Does your team actually have to send any representatives if it isn't even interested in anyone?  

If they do that has to be a boring job, but I guess the free travel is kinda cool. 

I know it's pretty rare for a team to actually take a player in the supplimental draft.  Does your team actually have to send any representatives if it isn't even interested in anyone?  

If they do that has to be a boring job, but I guess the free travel is kinda cool. 

No travel....    no frequent flier miles for anyone.

I believe it's all done by phone and computer....   that's how everyone communicates with each other....

That's my understanding anyway......

Basically, yes.....

There's actually a lottery to determine draft order. It's not the same as the regular draft order.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/before-the-supplemental-draft-the-nfl-has-its-own-draft-lottery/

There's actually a lottery to determine draft order. It's not the same as the regular draft order.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/before-the-supplemental-draft-the-nfl-has-its-own-draft-lottery/

Thanks for the good 411....

I wonder if it's always been this way?     Or, if it used to be different once upon a time....

Either way,  glad to have the correct info....     appreciate it....     :thmup: