Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Is Riding The Roster Bubble?

Dtman513

Lavon Brazill - Trouble

Care to elaborate on that one? What does trouble mean to you exactly? Permanently cut from the Colts or merely in Pagano's doghouse for several weeks once training camp starts? I'm just curious & need a little more detail. Thank you. 

You avatar reminds of a Neil Young musician quote: "Far better to rust than flameout." Translation: Longevity is the key to success. Time takes it's toll as you age, but as long as you are still around & live to tell about it years later even decades later, you know that you have finally made it & are here to stay in the longrun. 

All of these comments and responses are pretty much spot on. One thing that hasn't been brought up is the reality of other players from other teams being released when all of teams going down to 53 man roster and 8 player P.S. If Grigson stays as active as he has been in the past all of these players status would change. There very well could be players who are not considered on the bubble suddenly be on that list. I just have this feeling that Grigson works very hard and long hours going through any and every player that comes across the waiver wires. Also it's not unlikely that other GMs do call and talk about players who might not make their rosters but could help on others. 

Good list. I'd add Harnish and take off Cunningham. Why would we need a 3rd string QB who's never played?

Because Matt isn't a Long-term solution at backup haha. Harnish is being given the time to develop like ALL development players, we can't assume Luck will become the ironman Manning was for us. We need a young solid back-up, at best we trade Harnish down the road at worst he becomes our 2nd Sorgei until Grigson and Pagano decide they want more competition for the backup role. But regardless we carry 3 qb's this year since Matt's age is what insures Harnish's long-term spot.

Because Matt isn't a Long-term solution at backup haha. Harnish is being given the time to develop like ALL development players, we can't assume Luck will become the ironman Manning was for us. We need a young solid back-up, at best we trade Harnish down the road at worst he becomes our 2nd Sorgei until Grigson and Pagano decide they want more competition for the backup role. But regardless we carry 3 qb's this year since Matt's age is what insures Harnish's long-term spot.

We'll see.  If there is any other position the FO thinks is weak, the 3rd QB is the first guy to get cut.  Just like last year.

The backup QB on this team (after MH leaves) has to be better in the film room than he is on the field.  The only way Harnish sees the field is either with a blow out or disaster.  I think we carry 4 RBs and 2 QBs, with Harnish on the PS again.

Since when do teams look for long term solutions at backup quarterback? I like Harnish, but I hardly think he's a serious part of the team's long term plans. I'm sure they want to keep him around as long as possible, but they aren't going to burn a roster spot on a third quarterback indefinitely, and Hasselbeck is all but guaranteed a spot on the team this season.

Harnish is a long shot to do anything meaningful in the NFL. Ideally, he rides the practice squad again this year. Again, I like him, and he played well in preseason last year. If he's put in the offseason work in the playbook, we might see something promising out of him this preseason. And if so, that might make Grigson and Pagano reluctant to expose him. I'm pulling for him. But I don't think we're really concerned about holding on to him long term. And if another spot on the roster is strained, I think Harnish is the one to go. 

You avatar reminds of a Neil Young musician quote: "Far better to rust than flameout." Translation: Longevity is the key to success. Time takes it's toll as you age, but as long as you are still around & live to tell about it years later even decades later, you know that you have finally made it & are here to stay in the longrun. 

The least relevant thing for me to enter the thread about, but Neil Young actually said "It's better to burn out than it is to rust" in ''Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)". It was about rock and roll and how it's better to burn out bright than it is to just drag on forever.

Unless we're talking about in the first verse of the acoustic version 'My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)', which says "It's better to burn out than to fade away."

According to the Colts.com Roster, we have 5 Inside Linebackers

1. Jerrell Freeman: 145 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 2 Pass Deflections, 1 int, 1 Touchdown, 1 FF in 16 games (16 starts)

2. Kavell Connor: 54 Tackles, 4 Pass Def. in 14 Games (12 starts)

3. Mario Harvey: 12 Tackles in 13 Games (0 Starts)

4. Pat Angerer: 28 Tackles, FF, & a Pass Deflection in 11 games (3 Starts)

5. Scott Lutrus: Placed on Injured Reserve after suffering an injury in the first preseason game against St. Louis

So of those 5, I would say Mario Harvey & Scott Lutrus are the MOST on the bubble. 

One of these Inside guys have to go because Kelvin Sheppard is a Inside Linebacker as well

This is just my opinion of our current Inside LB situation.

We'll see.  If there is any other position the FO thinks is weak, the 3rd QB is the first guy to get cut.  Just like last year.

The backup QB on this team (after MH leaves) has to be better in the film room than he is on the field.  The only way Harnish sees the field is either with a blow out or disaster.  I think we carry 4 RBs and 2 QBs, with Harnish on the PS again.

Well of course Luck is the unquestioned starter, that's why I used the Soregi reference because that or a trade is in chandler's future at some point. haha

Since when do teams look for long term solutions at backup quarterback? I like Harnish, but I hardly think he's a serious part of the team's long term plans. I'm sure they want to keep him around as long as possible, but they aren't going to burn a roster spot on a third quarterback indefinitely, and Hasselbeck is all but guaranteed a spot on the team this season.

Harnish is a long shot to do anything meaningful in the NFL. Ideally, he rides the practice squad again this year. Again, I like him, and he played well in preseason last year. If he's put in the offseason work in the playbook, we might see something promising out of him this preseason. And if so, that might make Grigson and Pagano reluctant to expose him. I'm pulling for him. But I don't think we're really concerned about holding on to him long term. And if another spot on the roster is strained, I think Harnish is the one to go. 

Well of course the team will eventually trim down to 2 qb's, my only point was the team is giving chandler time to develop or aren't quite sold on Harnish's ability to step up this year if called upon. That's why we signed a qb toward the end of his career, Matt gives Harnish another year to grow and learn how to be an NFL qb. For this year only I fully expect us to carry just two qb's next year, Harnish will either be trade bait down the road or a long term backup because of Luck; like Soregi was to Manning haha.   

Well of course Luck is the unquestioned starter, that's why I used the Soregi reference because that or a trade is in chandler's future at some point. haha

Why does anyone think Chandler is trade material? Is there a lack of QBs that haven't taken a snap in an NFL game?

And before anyone says his value would be based on his preseason stats, I'll give you two words - Colt Brennan.

The only way Chandler makes the roster, barring injury, is if the FO feels we're strong and deep at every other position. I really doubt they're worried about another team coveting him.

(BTW, Sorgi was never traded, he was released)