Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 06/19

sb41champs

Vinny - No, too old and younger kickers are doing well for themselves in the nfl right now (Eg. Walsh, Tucker, and a few more whose names don't come to mind)

Bethea - Not sure, see how he plays with Landry and what the younger safties play like. Probably would sign him back but not if its going to break the bank.

^^^ Nobody could put it any better

Cant tie up Bethea long term if you dont know how well he will do in the 2nd year of a new defense alongside a much better Safety in Landry then what Zbi could ever dream of being, Plus there is the factor that Bethea is much closer to 30 then 22-23 and the older he gets the less trade value you tend to have, If he plays well this year then you sign him to a two/three year deal at most and keep an eye on Boyetts progress, Then when those 2-3 years are up you trade Bethea before he loses ALL trade value and likely get a mid  4th-5th round pick for him or maybe lower and get an extra draft pick. Used wisely you could get a very solid player or who knows, maybe a diamond in the rough. Thats how the NFL works...well the teams that win anyway, They aren't scared to say "hey you were a great player for us for a long time, thank you for all you have done but its time we get younger". As for Vinatieri. Same thing, Besides Im not nearly concerned about finding a good kicker as an Undrafted FA or in FA for that matter

JMO but you couldn`t get a mid 4th or 5th round pick for Bethea NOW at his current Salary.

I certainly hope he has a breakout season as a free safety. We need it. He is good insurance at his more suitable SS position.
Clearly he Has Been average or above as a tackler in run support, mediocre at Best breaking up passes and getting Int`s.
 One would hope we would be looking to upgrade the FS position with a younger, better ballhawk .

JMO but you couldn`t get a mid 4th or 5th round pick for Bethea NOW at his current Salary.

I certainly hope he has a breakout season as a free safety. We need it. He is good insurance at his more suitable SS position.

Clearly he Has Been average or above as a tackler in run support, mediocre at Best breaking up passes and getting Int`s.

One would hope we would be looking to upgrade the FS position with a younger, better ballhawk .

Isn't that why that safety from Oregon was drafted? I think he's supposed to be Bethea's replacement eventually.

Isn't that why that safety from Oregon was drafted? I think he's supposed to be Bethea's replacement eventually.

That kid may turn out to be good enough. Bethea was a 6th rounder. I could see us going 4th round or higher in the next draft for another FS prospect. And Lefeged may prosper in this system.

Just be nice to have a FS that gets double digits in passes defended and gets 4+ Int`s every year.

Bethea had a career high 4 Int`s in 2009.

Only 1 total Int. in the last 3 years. With Freeney & Mathis? You have to have almost NO ball skills to have 1 Int in 3 years with those guys harassing QB`s. JMO

Thou his best days are behind him, if he plays well this year, you would have to think hard about signing him at about 1/2 his current $$$ as a combo Safety for depth and leadership.

He has been a model citizen 4 sure and a worthy Colts

this is how I feel when I look at your avatar....   :lol:    :scratch:

Agreed. I'm not sure why Shake is using a pic of my ex-wife for his avatar....very disrespectful and he could've at least asked me first. 

I like your take on things shakedownstreet, but I gotta be honest here: If I saw you're avatar coming at me, I'd shoot first & ask questions later. It gives me the creeps man. Please go back to your old one or pick something different my friend. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.