Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigs is making us

Monster

Let's get to camp first.  But if I had to guess, I'd say Carter is gone, Havili wins the FB spot.

. Indeed and camp better start soon ha.. If we were to sign leech tho do ya think it is possible that they would cut both.i mean we would still have Ballard, Bradshaw, Williams (as the change of pace back) and then leech for run blocking and power rushing and then Havali for pass protection and catching out in the backfield I think that group could complaint each other quite well.

We're building alright :D

@mchappell51: #colts practice included LaRon Landry introducing himself to Reggie Wayne. Whack! Both went down, got up. Not what you want to see on field

@mchappell51: #colts wrapped up 1st minicamp session. 2 observations: 1) LaRon Landry can roam the field; 2) so can Greg Toler.

@mchappell51: #colts practice included LaRon Landry introducing himself to Reggie Wayne. Whack! Both went down, got up. Not what you want to see on field

He's the kind of guy who probably tackled his friends in school hallways.

. Indeed and camp better start soon ha.. If we were to sign leech tho do ya think it is possible that they would cut both.i mean we would still have Ballard, Bradshaw, Williams (as the change of pace back) and then leech for run blocking and power rushing and then Havali for pass protection and catching out in the backfield I think that group could complaint each other quite well.

sounds sweet but that rotation could become very predictable

He's done a great job with overall team depth.  Look at the front seven.  Last year, after a couple of injuries, we were signing guys like Teveseau, Guy, and Geathers to come in and play immediately.  This year our pre-TC DL looks like this:

DE: RJF, Moala, Hughes

NT: Chapman, Franklin, McKinney, (Hughes), Teveseau

DE: Redding, Nevis, Mathews

Hard to imagine having enough injuries to put us in a similar situation as last year.  We're deeper in about every area of the depth chart...

Someone (StampedeBlue?) wrote that with Pep's O we may keep 2 FBs. I doubt that would ever happen. But we know that Grigs is always looking to upgrade, and Leach is obviously an upgrade.

I'm not sold on Williams making the team. He hasn't shown he could play with major talent yet. But if he did, how can we carry 4 RBs and a FB?

That is what drove me nuts with Bill Polian. You don't need to go after high priced FAs and overpay your own FAs, but you can let the dust settle from the high priced FA market and still add FA pieces to help your team constantly. I never understood why we didn't do enough of that.

Sooo much this.  Mind boggling is what it is.  While teams shouldn't "build" through FA, they can definitely improve there.  They can compliment their existing group by adding talent around them.  Heck, UDFAs are technically FAs, and Polian would do everything but FA.  I just don't understand why we lose a LB who goes to receive 5mil/season, and we don't even consider looking at a 1-2 mil/season kinda guy as a stop gap.

Polian did go after some players (Booger and Simon to name a couple), but he really could've done more with less spending.  Heck, we could've signed a number of DTs through Polian's years at a cheap price and upgraded considerably, but we instead did very little to improve on that front.

Now Grigson, on the other hand, is willing to find guys and pay them fair amounts on contracts that mostly can be nixed with little cap effect on the future, all the while improving his roster.  Meaning most of the guys we've signed can be cut next season and they won't hurt us in the least.  All in all, it leaves us safe to make these moves season after season, and improve season after season.  So far, I like love what the man is doing.

As much as I agree with you about Polian I would point out that FA this year was very much a buyers market mostly due to the new CBA. It basically made it much easier to get good talent without overpaying compared to a few years ago.

As much as I agree with you about Polian I would point out that FA this year was very much a buyers market mostly due to the new CBA. It basically made it much easier to get good talent without overpaying compared to a few years ago.

Miami didn't get the memo.

Someone (StampedeBlue?) wrote that with Pep's O we may keep 2 FBs. I doubt that would ever happen. But we know that Grigs is always looking to upgrade, and Leach is obviously an upgrade.

I'm not sold on Williams making the team. He hasn't shown he could play with major talent yet. But if he did, how can we carry 4 RBs and a FB?

Williams will make team unless they plan to use Hilton as the main return guy

Personally, I think 4 TEs will be a must for Pep's system more than 2 FBs. There will be several times we will see 3 TEs on the field, I can definitely see that happening.

Williams will make team unless they plan to use Hilton as the main return guy

Until he plays against NFL competition, we can't make that assumption.  He may be another Devon Moore for all we know right now.

But let's say he does make the team, and we carry a FB.  It's going to be tough to keep 3 other RBs. 

Personally, I think 4 TEs will be a must for Pep's system more than 2 FBs. There will be several times we will see 3 TEs on the field, I can definitely see that happening.

Totally agree, I've been saying that all along.  Even if we don't have a three TE set, we'll need backups for both Allen and Fleener.

Totally agree, I've been saying that all along.  Even if we don't have a three TE set, we'll need backups for both Allen and Fleener.

Besides, Jim Harbaugh's system uses 3 TE formations too, Pep can't be that far off.

NFL front sevens, it is hard to move the stout ones with just 1 blocking TE and 5 OLs, sometimes you need 2 blocking TEs, 1 FB and 5 OLs or 3 TEs and 5 OLs with 2 WRs on the outside to keep Ds honest. The front 7 of the Steelers, Texans, Patriots were all top 10 in run D, and the Ravens might have been too, if Ngata was completely healthy.

If we have 3 TEs with 2 blocking TEs at the LOS, we have the luxury of splitting Fleener as a flanker with 2 blocking TEs thus giving us the 3rd receiver threat. We will also have the ability to still run the ball and take checkdowns as a last option.

Oline still worries me. Also I think Te'o will be more of an impact player than Werner

I don't understand the comparison or why you made it. Did you want the Colts to draft Teo instead of a pass rusher? Angerer has a similar skill set as Teo, not saying he's better or worse, just same skill set.

Besides, Jim Harbaugh's system uses 3 TE formations too, Pep can't be that far off.

NFL front sevens, it is hard to move the stout ones with just 1 blocking TE and 5 OLs, sometimes you need 2 blocking TEs, 1 FB and 5 OLs or 3 TEs and 5 OLs with 2 WRs on the outside to keep Ds honest. The front 7 of the Steelers, Texans, Patriots were all top 10 in run D, and the Ravens might have been too, if Ngata was completely healthy.

*If we have 3 TEs with 2 blocking TEs at the LOS*, we have the luxury of splitting Fleener as a flanker with 2 blocking TEs thus giving us the 3rd receiver threat. We will also have the ability to still run the ball and take checkdowns as a last option.

Allen and Cunningham with Fleener as the flanking TE? Nice.

Oline still worries me. Also I think Te'o will be more of an impact player than Werner

Cherilus was ranked as the best pass blocking RT last season, Costanzo has always been our most consistent and best Offensive lineman and he is quite adequate at LT, Thomas is an above average guard that was only a backup because of NE's beefed up line and PFF ranked him as the 4th best Free Agent Lineman this year ahead of the likes of Louis Vazquez who this forum was obsessed with getting, Then you got two projects with our 2 draftees who are big dudes who specialize at run blocking. Now we may go with Satele at Center who is one weak point but if 4 out of the 5 of the line is good to great were fine.