Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No CB or WR drafted

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - response to removed post
Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - response to removed post

Shows that many here do not grasp how football works.

Spoken like a true cornerbackite. Ryan Grigson & Chuck Pagano OBVIOUSLY have brought him in to play the 2. Just another example of you (and a few others) exalting your feeble comprehension above their knowledge.

Whenever I see a Brian Casserly post I know I am about to be educated with some high level football information and analysis ....

And I am sure I am not alone in saying, I am so thankful you take the time to enlighten all those who have a "feeble comprehension" of how football works with your vastly superior football knowledge; not to mention your ever so intelligent sarcastic remarks, and your witty & humorous "catch phrases"!

We did not see Corner or WR as such a big need, there was an instance or two where a Corner had a higher draft grade then what we picked as well as WR....example: we picked Thornton in the 3rd who had a 67.9 draft grade well just 7 picks later Will Davis with a 71.0 draft grade went to the Dolphins. We also did that in the 5th.......We picked Hughes who had a 68.7 draft grade well at pick 17 in the 5th round Terry Hawthorne (Steelers) had a 69.0 draft grade......Cordarelle Patterson had a 90.6 draft grade but we drafted Werner 88.2.......why? pass rusher was a huge need that was ALSO rated very highly as well

That, and those draft grades mean squat

After we signed DHB, WR became less of a need.  DHB is going to be our WR2.  So there is a huge difference between saying we don't necessarily need a WR now and saying we didn't need one before DHB was signed.

Hopefully next draft we grab a receiver early because someone will need to replace Wayne.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - quoted removed post
Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - quoted removed post

Whenever I see a Brian Casserly post I know I am about to be educated with some high level football information and analysis ....

And I am sure I am not alone in saying, I am so thankful you take the time to enlighten all those who have a "feeble comprehension" of how football works with your vastly superior football knowledge; not to mention your ever so intelligent sarcastic remarks, and your witty & humorous "catch phrases"!

Then you'll understand why I cannot say ANY of that about you. :)

After we signed DHB, WR became less of a need.  DHB is going to be our WR2.  So there is a huge difference between saying we don't necessarily need a WR now and saying we didn't need one before DHB was signed.

Hopefully next draft we grab a receiver early because someone will need to replace Wayne.

It's funny people wanted us to pick Patterson in the first considering DHB is Patterson with some NFL experience. They were extremely similar prospects coming out.

We did not see Corner or WR as such a big need, there was an instance or two where a Corner had a higher draft grade then what we picked as well as WR....example: we picked Thornton in the 3rd who had a 67.9 draft grade well just 7 picks later Will Davis with a 71.0 draft grade went to the Dolphins. We also did that in the 5th.......We picked Hughes who had a 68.7 draft grade well at pick 17 in the 5th round Terry Hawthorne (Steelers) had a 69.0 draft grade......Cordarelle Patterson had a 90.6 draft grade but we drafted Werner 88.2.......why? pass rusher was a huge need that was ALSO rated very highly as well

Is it an assumption that the Colts scouts & player personnel ended up scoring those players similarly?

Is it an assumption that the Colts scouts & player personnel ended up scoring those players similarly?

No but it is a given that average fans like you and I had no idea what the Colts organization valued or scored higher but here is a safe assumption.......They dont place high value on a position but on the players that are at that position

It's funny people wanted us to pick Patterson in the first considering DHB is Patterson with some NFL experience. They were extremely similar prospects coming out.

I didn't like Patterson personally, too much of his buildup as a 1st round prospect had to do with his freakish athletic abilities and not on his production on the field.  That scares me, too many busts have been selected on the basis of athletic abilities alone and "upside".  

Let me clear my throat first....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you really just do that?!?    Did you really just explain our draft by citing the draft grades of NFL.com?!?!?!

Are you under the impression that those grades have ANY meaning whatsoever to the 32 NFL teams?     Do you think the teams are instructed to print those and follow them to the letter?!?

How does someone who prides himself in following the draft put so much stock in this stuff??   This stuff is nice for fans to follow along....  a good guide,   but this is not inside information.   And, as I've preached since I've arrived,  all 32 teams see the draft in 32 different ways.    No two teams see the draft the same way.    Heck,  the Cowboys draft is getting killed, and Jerry Jones says their first 3 picks were all first rounders on their board.   Doesn't occur to him that his board is badly set-up.   But the point remains that all teams see the draft differently.

By your logic, you could argue we should've drafted Warford over Werner-- NFL.com gave Warford a higher grade then Werner.  We could've then taken a pass rusher at 86 instead of Thornton.

Gavin....   I love you like a Colts brother....   but these posts are maddening...  

OK....   rant over.   Glad I got that out of my system!      :thmup:

If we didn't draft a WR in the first round or trade back into the 2nd to get one , it made no sense to draft one.  Once we went with Werner at 1.24 , it was pretty much over for a WR. Our 3rd rounder had to be O line. So that meant taking a WR in rounds 4-7. All you are going to get there is more guys similar to the back ups you have. Brazil , Palmer and Wahlen are OK options behind the front three. So unless there was a prospect that could have been a future number 1 and somehow fell to late in the draft , it made little sense to go in that direction after Werner was selected. 

Now next year will be a different story. I would think we will more than likely be in a position to spend a high pick or sign a URFA to replace Wayne. If somehow Heyward-Bey comes up big and is resigned , that could change things a bit.

Let me clear my throat first....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you really just do that?!?    Did you really just explain our draft by citing the draft grades of NFL.com?!?!?!

Are you under the impression that those grades have ANY meaning whatsoever to the 32 NFL teams?     Do you think the teams are instructed to print those and follow them to the letter?!?

How does someone who prides himself in following the draft put so much stock in this stuff??   This stuff is nice for fans to follow along....  a good guide,   but this is not inside information.   And, as I've preached since I've arrived,  all 32 teams see the draft in 32 different ways.    No two teams see the draft the same way.    Heck,  the Cowboys draft is getting killed, and Jerry Jones says their first 3 picks were all first rounders on their board.   Doesn't occur to him that his board is badly set-up.   But the point remains that all teams see the draft differently.

By your logic, you could argue we should've drafted Warford over Werner-- NFL.com gave Warford a higher grade then Werner.  We could've then taken a pass rusher at 86 instead of Thornton.

Gavin....   I love you like a Colts brother....   but these posts are maddening...  

OK....   rant over.   Glad I got that out of my system!      :thmup:

you just typed out one long paragraph of info that I already knew but unless you know how Grigson and company graded each player then Im afraid what we have to go on ourselves is our own judgement as well as draft grades from whatever site we individually prefer. I prefer NFL Network, NFL Draft Profile courtesy of ESPN Scouts Inc. <-----(excellent source of pointing out strengths weaknesses of a prospect) and NFL.com so in short they are youtube highlights but they are highlights with explanations of what to look for followed by the highlight itself showing it.....Now we can debate the validity of that but thats probably something better off taken up with the sources I provided above, i dont just look at random highlight reels but reels showing SPECIFIC attributes of a prospect

If we didn't draft a WR in the first round or trade back into the 2nd to get one , it made no sense to draft one.  Once we went with Werner at 1.24 , it was pretty much over for a WR. Our 3rd rounder had to be O line. So that meant taking a WR in rounds 4-7. All you are going to get there is more guys similar to the back ups you have. Brazil , Palmer and Wahlen are OK options behind the front three. So unless there was a prospect that could have been a future number 1 and somehow fell to late in the draft , it made little sense to go in that direction after Werner was selected. 

Now next year will be a different story. I would think we will more than likely be in a position to spend a high pick or sign a URFA to replace Wayne. If somehow Heyward-Bey comes up big and is resigned , that could change things a bit.

players fall its all apart of the game that is the NFL draft, Quinton Patton fell to the 31st pick of the 4th round but we are already stocked at wr, wasn't an immediate need

:funny: we arent gonna get a Champ Bailey type player for Brown, That even gives me reason to laugh and I am a Brown supporter

Obviously it would not be for a player of Champs caliber. Just used that as an example for a RB/CB swap.

And if you truly are a Brown supporter, your therapist must be really good.

you just typed out one long paragraph of info that I already knew but unless you know how Grigson and company graded each player then Im afraid what we have to go on ourselves is our own judgement as well as draft grades from whatever site we individually prefer. I prefer NFL Network, NFL Draft Profile courtesy of ESPN Scouts Inc. <-----(excellent source of pointing out strengths weaknesses of a prospect) and NFL.com so in short they are youtube highlights but they are highlights with explanations of what to look for followed by the highlight itself showing it.....Now we can debate the validity of that but thats probably something better off taken up with the sources I provided above, i dont just look at random highlight reels but reels showing SPECIFIC attributes of a prospect

Gavin....

I use NFL.com....   I also use other sources....

But none of them -- NONE OF THEM -- do I mistake as something to take all that seriously.   At some point one has to recognize that the 32 teams all see things differently.     It's not like they're all using the same list and just taking the next guy on the list.

How many guys did you love and they went way, WAY lower than you predicted??   Jones, Okafor,  Jenkins.    How did that happen if the websites you use are all that accurate??

I'm not saying put no stock in what these websites say....   but you have to accept some of that with a grain of salt.

Once you start accepting the concept that the draft -- any draft, in any sport -- is a beauty contest and teams see the same pretty girl differently,  the sooner you warm up to the idea that the media sources you and I get to use have their limits.

Look at Shariff Floyd?   Widely predicted to go top-5.   Ends up at 23.    Now I guarantee you lots of teams had him top-10,  but they had other players they liked more once it was their turn to pick.  

Every team sees the same thing differently.   You should say it every day for the next 365 until next year's draft.    It will help you and not hurt your enjoyment of the event....  :thmup:

Gavin....

I use NFL.com....   I also use other sources....

But none of them -- NONE OF THEM -- do I mistake as something to take all that seriously.   At some point one has to recognize that the 32 teams all see things differently.     It's not like they're all using the same list and just taking the next guy on the list.

How many guys did you love and they went way, WAY lower than you predicted??   Jones, Okafor,  Jenkins.    How did that happen if the websites you use are all that accurate??

I'm not saying put no stock in what these websites say....   but you have to accept some of that with a grain of salt.

Once you start accepting the concept that the draft -- any draft, in any sport -- is a beauty contest and teams see the same pretty girl differently,  the sooner you warm up to the idea that the media sources you and I get to use have their limits.

Look at Shariff Floyd?   Widely predicted to go top-5.   Ends up at 23.    Now I guarantee you lots of teams had him top-10,  but they had other players they liked more once it was their turn to pick.  

Every team sees the same thing differently.   You should say it every day for the next 365 until next year's draft.    It will help you and not hurt your enjoyment of the event....  :thmup:

Agreed on all accounts, But I am still curious on why 32 teams passed on Okafor 3 times, I wonder if it had to do with the ankle injury he suffered last year combined with him not running the 40

Good points about WR's....   but, that said,  there was 1 WR whose name being available at R4 was eye-popping...

Quinton Patton.   Went toward the bottom of the 4th round.   Pretty surprising.   But all 32 teams passed on him multiple times, so something was up....   we just don't know what it was....

There was no Vontae in this year's draft.  He showed in the Ravens playoff game he is money.  They did nothing when they threw at him in the 1st half.  Cornerback is now a strength IMO.

I highly disagree with this. We have Vontae true but what about the rest of conerback crew? I also valued alot of the cornerbacks in this draft higher Vontae on potential.

People might not like the depth at either positions but both are pretty deep.

WR you have Wayne, DHB, Hilton, and Brazil.  That's the top four and at this point you are probably looking for a fifth guy to round out the roster but he will probably be a returner or a special teamer at most.  You can easily find that with an undrafted free agent.  I think WR really went out the window once we signed DHB unless someone just completely unexpectedly slipped and it was just too much value to pass on.

As for CB they have Davis, Toler, Butler, Vaughn, and Gordy.  I know people aren't crazy about all of them, especially the last two but they do provide depth and they wouldn't have re-signed Butler, Vaughn, and Gordy unless they liked something about them. 

No no. Don't project. Just you. I compliment users all the time. You just don't rate anything like that.....that's all.

You compliment users who share your point of view ... wow that takes a big man!

If someone posts an opinion that you disagree with or they attempt to engage you in debate then your posts or replies are usually arrogant and condescending; frequently blatantly so, and when it isn't blatant you always have to include a cheap shot remark, backhanded compliment, or some other pathetic attempt to belittle them under the guise of humor.

There are quite a few members on here who are far more knowledgeable about football than you seem to think you are. Yet, they do not come off as arrogant and condescending when debating a point ... even with someone obviously less knowledgeable. The truly knowledgeable members do not seem to overcompensate like you do in your posts.

And for the record I was not referring to myself as one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board ... and you most definitely are not either!!

If someone posts an opinion that you disagree with or they attempt to engage you in debate then your posts or replies are usually arrogant and condescending; frequently blatantly so, and when it isn't blatant you always have to include a cheap shot remark, backhanded compliment, or some other pathetic attempt to belittle them under the guise of humor.

There are quite a few members on here who are far more knowledgeable about football than you seem to think you are. Yet, they do not come off as arrogant and condescending when debating a point ... even with someone obviously less knowledgeable. The truly knowledgeable members do not seem to overcompensate like you do in your posts.

And for the record I was not referring to myself as one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board ... and you most definitely are not either!!

Your wasting your time talking to him

Peeps we had Jeff Linchenbach starting for us last year...............There wasn't a WR or DB  living or dead that would have fixed that........you can't always get what you want, but if you try some time you just might find, you get what you need.......to quote the Stones.

So you acknowledge that you were (again) incorrect?

What am I supposed to, compliment you for disagreeing with me? Feign some appreciation for perspectives that I do not agree with?

...your posts or replies are usually arrogant and condescending; frequently blatantly so, and when it isn't blatant you always have to include a cheap shot remark, backhanded compliment, or some other pathetic attempt to belittle them under the guise of humor.

Yeah, I'm not doing the doctor Phil thing with you. If you do not appreciate my posts, by all means PLEASE utilize the ignore feature immediately.

Duly noted. ;)