Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Kryptonite...

jshipp23

COLD WEATHER---...I am a big Peyton fan and supporter, and I hope he wins the Super Bowl any year if we are out of the hunt, but I'm not sure if that will happen in Denver despite the immense amount of talent on this Broncos team...As you witnessed time and time again watching the Colts through the years and again in the Playoffs last year Peyton really struggles in cold weather and high pressure playoff games...He managed just 21 points in the game against Baltimore and threw a pick 6 and had a fumble that was turned into a TD, thus a net of 7-points...If not for 2 special teams touchdowns it wouldn't have even been close despite having home field and superior talent..This is very familiar predicament for Manning and being in Denver I don't see it changing for him unless the defense is dominant which is possible. I can see him near the top in every statistical category and in the MVP conversation again this year, but when it's crunch time in January and 5 degrees at Mile High I can see the same scenario unfolding once again. It is reminiscent of all those failures in New England, not too mention the the cold weather Super Bowl in NYC this year if he manages to get there...Thoughts and Opinions??

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post is just made for me to rack up the warning points. lol. I will refrain and just say this. Manning should have went to the niners - warmer weather, much better team and coach. I think he would have won a ring last year as he is volumes better than Smith or Kaep.

Oddly enough, you don't actually sound like much of a Peyton fan at all.

First of all, the "immense talent" on the Bronco's team somehow didn't become readily apparent until Peyton joined them. He's not along for the ride, he's pulling the cart. If he had gone to KC instead of Denver they would have had one of the best offenses instead of one of the worst, and with their already quality defense I would be willing to bet that they would have won the division - while Denver would have regressed dramatically with the league "catching up" to Tebow's antics. Don't make it sound like Peyton received some special gift by going to Denver, and you are concerned about him "blowing it". ANY team without a top five QB would have been dramatically improved by his presence and thanking their lucky stars for having him.

Secondly, the suggestion that he "struggles in high pressure playoff games" is simply insulting to anyone that cares about him. That's the type of garbage that a Patriot :atroll: spins to annoy people, it's not reality. You are going to hold that pick-6 against HIM? You think that the game "wouldn't have been close" if not for special teams plays? Did you actually watch it? It actually would have been a blowout for Denver if not for the "immense talent" on Denver's defense failing repeatedly.

Thirdly, any QB that relies on passing to the extent that Peyton does is going to have his game limited to a certain extent in cold weather. When he was an inconsistent kid there were occasions where in seemed to have an "extra" effect on him, but that was several MVP awards ago. There remains a question about whether he weakened as the game went on against the Ravens, which suggests that his injury limited him - but that ignores the facts that: a)it was I believe the second coldest game EVER played in Denver, meaning that one shouldn't assume that every playoff game is going to be like that. Denver's weather - albeit it unpredictable - isn't actually all that bad. b)it went to six quarters - also an incredibly rare occurrence. I was exhausted just from watched the darn thing. c) Peyton was and is still recovering from his injuries. For all we know he may actually be improved next year. But considering that what he did last year was good enough to finish second in the MVP voting, I'm not sure that it matters much.

In short, I think that you conclusion is ridiculous, and much like other threads that I've seen from you, this is about the LAST thing that this board needs. Is that the kind of opinion that you were looking for? Give me a break.

This post is just made for me to rack up the warning points. lol. I will refrain and just say this. Manning should have went to the niners - warmer weather, much better team and coach. I think he would have won a ring last year as he is volumes better than Smith or Kaep.

Yep....I was thinking the same thing which is why I made this thread, and no one would even know who Kaepernick is right now...Vernon Davis, Crabtree, and Gore to go with a great O-line plus Manning's brilliance..Not to mention a top 5 defense and great head coach, talk about intense and a passion to do what it takes...Can you imagine a Manning-Harbaugh locker room...Talk about setting a tone for winning and maximum effort..He would have had a shot at 3 or 4 rings and cemented himself as the greatest of all time. I thought for sure he'd go there..Never understood the choice to go to Denver considering the cold weather problems he had.

First of all, the "immense talent" on the Bronco's team somehow didn't become readily apparent until Peyton joined them. He's not along for the ride, he's pulling the cart. If he had gone to KC instead of Denver they would have had one of the best offenses instead of one of the worst, and with their already quality defense I would be willing to bet that they would have won the division - while Denver would have regressed dramatically with the league "catching up" to Tebow's antics. Don't make it sound like Peyton received some special gift by going to Denver, and you are concerned about him "blowing it". ANY team without a top five QB would have been dramatically improved by his presence and thanking their lucky stars for having him.

Secondly, the suggestion that he "struggles in high pressure playoff games" is simply insulting to anyone that cares about him. That's the type of garbage that a Patriot :atroll: spins to annoy people, it's not reality. You are going to hold that pick-6 against HIM? You think that the game "wouldn't have been close" if not for special teams plays? Did you actually watch it? It actually would have been a blowout for Denver if not for the "immense talent" on Denver's defense failing repeatedly.

Thirdly, any QB that relies on passing to the extent that Peyton does is going to have his game limited to a certain extent in cold weather. When he was an inconsistent kid there were occasions where in seemed to have an "extra" effect on him, but that was several MVP awards ago. There remains a question about whether he weakened as the game went on against the Ravens, which suggests that his injury limited him - but that ignores the facts that: a)it was I believe the second coldest game EVER played in Denver, meaning that one shouldn't assume that every playoff game is going to be like that. Denver's weather - albeit it unpredictable - isn't actually all that bad. b)it went to six quarters - also an incredibly rare occurrence. I was exhausted just from watched the darn thing. c) Peyton was and is still recovering from his injuries. For all we know he may actually be improved next year. But considering that what he did last year was good enough to finish second in the MVP voting, I'm not sure that it matters much.

In short, I think that you conclusion is ridiculous, and much like other threads that I've seen from you, this is about the LAST thing that this board needs. Is that the kind of opinion that you were looking for? Give me a break.

I am a huge fan of Peytons but I'm not gonna let that blind me to proven logic...Just because your a fan doesn't mean you can't admit his faults. I can't remember a big game he has played in bad weather against a contending team and I've never missed a COLTS game in 20 years...If I am missing something please let me know what it is because I've racked my brain trying to think of a big clutch game in cold weather where he played great or won,,,Maybe I'm forgetting 1, Idk..No 1 would be happier for him if he does it than me, and I hope he is able to if we don't...I just said cold-weather was his kryptonite and it's true to this point.

I am a huge fan of Peytons but I'm not gonna let they blind me to proven logic...Just because your a fan doesn't mean you can't admit his faults. I can't remember a big game he has played in bad weather against a contending team and I've never missed a COLTS game in 20 years...If I am missing something please let me know what it is because I've racked my brain trying to think of a big clutch game in cold weather where he played great or won,,,Maybe I'm forgetting 1, Idk..No 1 would be happier for him if he does it than me, and I hope he is able to if we don't...I just said cold-weather was his kryptonite and it's true to this point.

He played a game a while back where he threw for almost 300 yards, 3 TDs, and a 65% completion percentage (I think he had 2 turnover as well, but were iffy calls) and scored a go-ahead TD just to see the D give up the lead with under a minute left. That's the best cold weather game I remember from him.

All conversation would have ended if Franchised Prater kicked a FG and not the dirt first, he didnt even get to the ball untill kicking the dirt,

Plus all those other reasons discussed to much already

Peyton though well enough first half but will admit not as dep as other games, Nerve I will admit post injury causes numbness and after a halftime break , quite hard to rewarm arm, I have that sam,e experience

That was just not cold weather, but coldest playoff evcer in denver and i heard second coldest day ever at time of game

He beat denver in OT years back in the snow too when Colts had vanderjerk, 

I don't think it's the weather he's loss some home playoff games as well, i think it's the 3-4 defense. Peyton used to always struggle vs the Pats,Chargers,Jets,Steerlers,and Cowboys who all run the 3-4. The exotic blitzes is what really throws him off that's the only way to beat him.

that was a defense for the ages, really would have proved interesting to watch

Marino beat them with the quick release and good WRs. I saw that game, it was the only Bears loss that season. However, it was in the Orange Bowl where few won in those days:)

Marino probably had a quicker release than Manning so..

I don't think it's the weather he's loss some home playoff games as well, i think it's the 3-4 defense. Peyton used to always struggle vs the Pats,Chargers,Jets,Steerlers,and Cowboys who all run the 3-4. The exotic blitzes is what really throws him off that's the only way to beat him.

Thats a good point...A good 3-4 and cold weather, then you really can forget about it...

Marino beat them with the quick release and good WRs. I saw that game, it was the only Bears loss that season. However, it was in the Orange Bowl where few won in those days:)

Marino probably had a quicker release than Manning so..

would of loved to see that game, have a great weekend, have to get back to a med conference  & get enough continuing medical  ed. ( CME/s ) credits or lose license, may be disabled & not practiced since 1988  but still like having an active one

Yep....I was thinking the same thing which is why I made this thread, and no one would even know who Kaepernick is right now...Vernon Davis, Crabtree, and Gore to go with a great O-line plus Manning's brilliance..Not to mention a top 5 defense and great head coach, talk about intense and a passion to do what it takes...Can you imagine a Manning-Harbaugh locker room...Talk about setting a tone for winning and maximum effort..He would have had a shot at 3 or 4 rings and cemented himself as the greatest of all time. I thought for sure he'd go there..Never understood the choice to go to Denver considering the cold weather problems he had.

It probably came down to Control. Part of the Broncos pitch was that the Broncos would run the Manning offense, I'm not so sure that Harbaugh would have agreed to change the entire offensive scheme.

It probably came down to Control. Part of the Broncos pitch was that the Broncos would run the Manning offense, I'm not so sure that Harbaugh would have agreed to change the entire offensive scheme.

Yes, that was the prevailing thought which seems insane to me that Manning can only run that Indy offense.

But you know a bigger thing to consider here is dome QBs when they go play outside the dome. I don't think this is just a Manning issue. Drew Brees does not look the same on grass or in bad weather conditions. Marino did not play great when the temps dipped below his comfy FL levels. I mean to the extent the Pats had any success against him was usually in Fox in Nov/Dec when the conditions were cold and windy or snowing.

Then you have guys like Favre, Elway, and Brady that excelled in poor conditions because that is what they were used to playing in.

Yes, that was the prevailing thought which seems insane to me that Manning can only run that Indy offense.

But you know a bigger thing to consider here is dome QBs when they go play outside the dome. I don't think this is just a Manning issue. Drew Brees does not look the same on grass or in bad weather conditions. Marino did not play great when the temps dipped below his comfy FL levels. I mean to the extent the Pats had any success against him was usually in Fox in Nov/Dec when the conditions were cold and windy or snowing.

Then you have guys like Favre, Elway, and Brady that excelled in poor conditions because that is what they were used to playing in.

The difference there is guys who excel in poor conditions usually still play well in Domes too, with the "EXCEPTION", OF Favre who really struggled in domes, but got over it once he was in Minnesota...

The difference there is guys who excel in poor conditions usually still play well in Domes too, with the "EXCEPTION", OF Favre who really struggled in domes, but got over it once he was in Minnesota...

It's easier to go from bad conditions to good conditions than it it the other way around.

I remember Marino lighting it up in bad weather many times against the Pats, Bills, and Jets..Marino would light you up anywhere, he just never had great players around him even more so than Manning who was asked to carry the team later in his career here...

It's easier to go from bad conditions to good conditions than it it the other way around.

Didn't say bad to good conditions, and specifically referenced Favre,and domes...  It can throw you off playing in domes if you only do it once or twice a year like Favre did..

I remember Marino lighting it up in bad weather many times against the Pats, Bills, and Jets..Marino would light you up anywhere, he just never had great players around him even more so than Manning who was asked to carry the team later in his career here...

Yes, Marino could that anywhere but to the extent that he struggled at all against the Pats or anyone else, it was usually outside the comfy temps of FL. And he had some pretty stacked teams in 84, 85 and the early 90's. Kelly's Bills were his nemesis and a bad 85 Pats team.

Well the only time I saw Peyton play outside of Indy was in San Diego 2007, oddly enough it was a wet, cool, rainy day (an annomally for SoCal), & 18 threw like a bazillion picks it seriously felt like he was throwing right to Cromartie the entire game...

oddly enough, with all the picks Indy was still in it at the end, would've won had Vinny not shanked a last second FG...

point is, it was wet & cool, "bad weather" for San Diego, & Peyton had a pretty "down" game...

so maybe who knows...

Didn't say bad to good conditions, and specifically referenced Favre,and domes... It can throw you off playing in domes if you only do it once or twice a year like Favre did..

Can I see stats that back up your claim Favre played bad in domes?

Your free to google it, he was notorious for not playing well in domes..

Indoor stats: 56 games, 92.4 passer rating, 65% completion percentage, 264 yards a game, 7.5 yards an attempt, 106 TDs, 61 INTs.

Not only did he play good in domes, it was exponentially better than when he played outdoors.

It's more a wins and losses thing I can't put links up or I would, but it is common knowledge about him not winning big games in Domes as a PACKER...A lot of those stats were compiled when he was with the Vikings, and as I stated he adjusted and played well then...Just google Favre struggles in domes or something to that effect and you will see for yourself..If I could put up a link I would...

COLD WEATHER---...I am a big Peyton fan and supporter, and I hope he wins the Super Bowl any year if we are out of the hunt, but I'm not sure if that will happen in Denver despite the immense amount of talent on this Broncos team...As you witnessed time and time again watching the Colts through the years and again in the Playoffs last year Peyton really struggles in cold weather and high pressure playoff games......Thoughts and Opinions??

Funny how Peyton was the best QB vs. The Ravens of all their 4 opponents. Peyton had more passing TD's than Brady, Kap, and Luck did vs. the Ravens in their 3 games combined.

Kap - 302 1TD 1int

Manning - 290 3TD 2int

Brady - 320 1TD 2int

Luck - 288 0TD 1int

Also funny how Manning's playoff QB rating is higher than Brady, who is considered a clutch playoff QB. Why do wins get recorded as a team stat, not a QB stat again?

This thread was fail.

Funny how Peyton was the best QB vs. The Ravens of all their 4 opponents. This thread was fail.

He was? He had three TOs that equalled 17 points. Brady had two turnovers. Kaep one I believe. Not sure about Luck. And neither of those QBs threw the pick to effectively end the game.

He was? He had three TOs that equalled 17 points. Brady had two turnovers. Kaep one I believe. Not sure about Luck. And neither of those QBs threw the pick to effectively end the game.

12 had 2 turnovers. And yeah Kaep had that one INT in the SB.

Yeah he was I edited my post to include stats.

Kap - 302 1TD 1int

Manning - 290 3TD 2int

Brady - 320 1TD 2int

Luck - 288 0TD 1int

Neither of those QB's had the game won and needed a hail mary in the 4th for the Ravens to comeback.

Brady's 2nd last drive vs. the Ravens

(No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle intended for A.Hernandez INTERCEPTED by D.Ellerbe (P.McPhee) at BLT 16. D.Ellerbe to BLT 18 for 2 yards. The Replay Assistant challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was Upheld.

Brady's last play vs. the Ravens.

2nd and 10 at BAL 22 (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass deep left intended for B.Lloyd INTERCEPTED by C.Williams at BLT -5. Touchback.

I forgot he had the 2 4th quarter int's that cost his team the game.

Kap - 302 1TD 1int

Manning - 290 3TD 2int

Brady - 320 1TD 2int

Luck - 288 0TD 1int

Neither of those QB's had the game won and needed a hail mary in the 4th for the Ravens to comeback.

You forgot Manning's fumble that also led to Ravens 7 points.

Not sure how you think Manning's 3 TOs is better than what any of the other QBs did?

You forgot Manning's fumble that also led to Ravens 7 points.

Not sure how you think Manning's 3 TOs is better than what any of the other QBs did?

Easy, he personally put at least 3 times as many points on the board as any other QB, and if not for a brainfart by the Denver D, they had that game won by 7 points in the final minute. All the other QBs turned the ball over as well and never put their teams in positions to win, especially your boy Brady in critical times.

(No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle intended for A.Hernandez INTERCEPTED by D.Ellerbe (P.McPhee) at BLT 16. D.Ellerbe to BLT 18 for 2 yards. The Replay Assistant challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was Upheld.

2nd and 10 at BAL 22 (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass deep left intended for B.Lloyd INTERCEPTED by C.Williams at BLT -5. Touchback.

Not sure who you thought was better. 

But you know a bigger thing to consider here is dome QBs when they go play outside the dome. I don't think this is just a Manning issue. Drew Brees does not look the same on grass or in bad weather conditions. Marino did not play great when the temps dipped below his comfy FL levels. I mean to the extent the Pats had any success against him was usually in Fox in Nov/Dec when the conditions were cold and windy or snowing.

Peyton could run another offense he just wanted to run his its wat he was successful with nothing wrong with that if it ain't broken don't fix it

Easy, he personally put at least 3 times as many points on the board as any other QB, and if not for a brainfart by the Denver D, they had that game won by 7 points in the final minute. All the other QBs turned the ball over as well and never put their teams in positions to win, especially your boy Brady in critical times.

Not sure who you thought was better. 

Peyton put up 21. Special teams put up the other 14.

Brady put up 13.

And Kaep put up the most at 31.

If any QB did the best against the Ravens, it was easily Kaep.  302 yards passing, 62 rushing, 1 TD passing AND 1 TD rushing, 1 INT and 31 points.

Kap - 302 1TD 1int

Manning - 290 3TD 2int

Brady - 320 1TD 2int

Luck - 288 0TD 1int

You forgetting the 2 special teams TD"s and the pick 6 and fumble he gave up that led to 14 points verse the Ravens???? Fail...smh

Peyton put up 21. Special teams put up the other 14.

Brady put up 13.

And Kaep put up the most at 31.

If any QB did the best against the Ravens, it was easily Kaep.  302 yards passing, 62 rushing, 1 TD passing AND 1 TD rushing, 1 INT and 31 points.

Keep your anti-Manning cap on. I'll take the QB who has the game won with under a minute left, and needed the other team to have a miracle hail mary to win, than the QB who couldn't get a lead the entire game.