Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Painter

jbaron04

At least painter can move the ball! No offense to Collins, but he just can't run this offense, I wanted him to do well, just didn't happen.

Exactly. Painter knows this offense. He's seen Peyton run it and he can make adjustments at the line. Just because he doesn't have a big name and wasn't a high draft pick doesn't mean he can't play. Yea he's been in the league a few years but he has never taken full time snaps in practice in the regular season. I think he can produce enough to help us win games.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its about time the painter haters start being quiet... the kid is only gonna get better with every snap and he is way more accurate and quicker at release than collins... i hope he starts next week.

I agree...Painter came in and played his heart out. yeah he came out and missed his first few throws...it was nerves, happens to every QB at one time or another and especially to backups. I kept saying in chat, just get him a short screen pass or some other short, high percentage pass to complete to let him get a little confidence. They did that and then he drove them down the field for the tying TD. As for the very last play..yeah come on guys there was 4 seconds left. What Collins suggested was really the best option....throw the hail mary and do a little acting to try to get the pass interference penalty. Probably wouldn't have worked, but with that little time left odds are nothing was going to work anyway.

throw the hail mary and do a little acting to try to get the pass interference penalty. Probably wouldn't have worked, but with that little time left odds are nothing was going to work anyway.

Instead, Painter threw it into the dirt. That's the best Hail Mary I've ever seen! :sarcasm: I wonder if Caldwell decided that.

Lol for real dude, some ppl just cant face the facts that maybe they were wrong about the guy.

Are you joking!??! He gives us s better chance to win then Collins period. He had 68 yards on 3 drives compared to Collins 96 in 3 quarters.

Painter did look decent. He prob had barely any snaps in practice. He had to come in the game against a rough steelers defense. The fumble wasn't entirely his fault. Collins would of fumbled as well. Painter was 5-11 63 yards on 3 drives. Collins was 13-28 98 yards I think. He drove down the field with all sorts of pressure on him and tied the game. Manning and Wayne say painter is talented so why would I think any diff. Painter gives us the best chance to win

I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, it's about production, protecting the football and winning games. Collins played 11+ qtrs and if he proved anything, he proved that he coulnd't score in the red zone, he holds onto the ball too long, and doesn't have a progression of finding open receivers. I've wrapped my mind around us not making the playoffs and being a bottom tier team this year as far as our wins and losses are concerned. But with Painter, I find this team more exciting and fun to watch. Let's see what this kid can do. He's never been the #1 qb working with the first team all week leading into a game. He's always been thrown into a very difficult situation. Obviously, his results have been terrible. But I want to see what this kid can do when given time to prepare. At this point, I say stick with Painter and see what he can do. If he does well, then we know we've got a decent qb to back up manning. We can choose to hold on to him or use him, dare I say, as trade bait should he turn out to be pretty good like a Matt Cassel or Kolb. If he stinks, well then at least we know it for sure.

Proof once again that some people are just so blinded by hatred or hostility that they can't see the good from the bad. :rollseyes:

Exactly. Peyton manning says this guy has talent and can produce. Reggie Wayne supports him who are we to say they are wrong. I just saw with my own two eyes that he can produce better then collins

I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, it's about production, protecting the football and winning games. Collins played 11+ qtrs and if he proved anything, he proved that he coulnd't score in the red zone, he holds onto the ball too long, and doesn't have a progression of finding open receivers. I've wrapped my mind around us not making the playoffs and being a bottom tier team this year as far as our wins and losses are concerned. But with Painter, I find this team more exciting and fun to watch. Let's see what this kid can do. He's never been the #1 qb working with the first team all week leading into a game. He's always been thrown into a very difficult situation. Obviously, his results have been terrible. But I want to see what this kid can do when given time to prepare. At this point, I say stick with Painter and see what he can do. If he does well, then we know we've got a decent qb to back up manning. We can choose to hold on to him or use him, dare I say, as trade bait should he turn out to be pretty good like a Matt Cassel or Kolb. If he stinks, well then at least we know it for sure.

Thank you. Good to see other fans were watching the same game I was

I agree...Painter came in and played his heart out. yeah he came out and missed his first few throws...it was nerves, happens to every QB at one time or another and especially to backups. I kept saying in chat, just get him a short screen pass or some other short, high percentage pass to complete to let him get a little confidence. They did that and then he drove them down the field for the tying TD. As for the very last play..yeah come on guys there was 4 seconds left. What Collins suggested was really the best option....throw the hail mary and do a little acting to try to get the pass interference penalty. Probably wouldn't have worked, but with that little time left odds are nothing was going to work anyway.

I wouldnt be surprised if the colts came out saying that collins is still their guy lol... painter deserves his chance hopefully the colts can see that.

If Painter isn't starting next week I will be highly upset! I will lose a lot of faith in the management of this team. Painter needs to start from now until Manning is back! The offense looked many times better with him in there. He completed three passes in a row that were timing routes Collins couldn't make. Nor will he ever be able to make them until it's too late.

Painter gave us a chance to win the game! If Costanzo wouldn't have missed that block where he fumbled, we would have won tonight. Castonzo played a good game but got burnt on that play and that's what cost us. Also that phantom holding penalty cost us 4 points, and that would have been enough to win tonight

Bottom line: Painter or we need to break out the pitchforks and torches!!!

If Painter isn't starting next week I will be highly upset! I will lose a lot of faith in the management of this team. Painter needs to start from now until Manning is back! The offense looked many times better with him in there. He completed three passes in a row that were timing routes Collins couldn't make. Nor will he ever be able to make them until it's too late.

Painter gave us a chance to win the game! If Costanzo wouldn't have missed that block where he fumbled, we would have won tonight. Castonzo played a good game but got burnt on that play and that's what cost us. Also that phantom holding penalty cost us 4 points, and that would have been enough to win tonight

Bottom line: Painter or we need to break out the pitchforks and torches!!!

The way our d played tonight I bet if painter played the whole game we would of won by 10

I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, it's about production, protecting the football and winning games. Collins played 11+ qtrs and if he proved anything, he proved that he coulnd't score in the red zone, he holds onto the ball too long, and doesn't have a progression of finding open receivers. I've wrapped my mind around us not making the playoffs and being a bottom tier team this year as far as our wins and losses are concerned. But with Painter, I find this team more exciting and fun to watch. Let's see what this kid can do. He's never been the #1 qb working with the first team all week leading into a game. I would mention that he did get those scenarios and he played well in the Green Bay preseason game, but the haters will simply point out that it was preseason and it was meaningless. lol He's always been thrown into a very difficult situation. Obviously, his results have been terrible. But I want to see what this kid can do when given time to prepare. At this point, I say stick with Painter and see what he can do. If he does well, then we know we've got a decent qb to back up manning. We can choose to hold on to him or use him, dare I say, as trade bait should he turn out to be pretty good like a Matt Cassel or Kolb. If he stinks, well then at least we know it for sure.

totally agree. It's not even anything against Collins...Collins has shown better mobility in the pocket than I'd have expected but he does still hold on to the ball too long at times. And then a large part of it still goes back to the lack of time he's had to truly develop timing and chemistry with the receivers. Painter has been with the team longer, knows the playbook better and has had at least minimal reps with the WR's since he's been here. Give the kid a chance and see what he can do with a full week of preparation with the starters.

Personally I was also very impressed with the way he took control of the offense once he got into a rhythm. He looked much more in control of the offense than Collins has.

Oh and to the "now do we go after garrard" question..I would suspect no and if anything they'll play it by ear for now and if the injury to Collins keeps him from returning before the next game, even as a backup, then we probably bring Hartline off the PS or re-sign Orlovsky.

Are you joking!??! He gives us s better chance to win then Collins period. He had 68 yards on 3 drives compared to Collins 96 in 3 quarters.

I think you confused what i said lol.... im a staunch painter fan, i believe the guy can win the colts some games if he got the opportunity.

Is it just me or does this Collins """"concussion""""" seem fishy. The only hit he took his head didn't really even hit the ground. Either Collins just giving up or staff pulling him??? Idk

It does seem weird, that hit he took was a big one but not to his head... i think the colts just used that to see how painter would perform... i wanna hear what caldwell says come monday.

I think you confused what i said lol.... im a staunch painter fan, i believe the guy can win the colts some games if he got the opportunity.

I've argued with you for weeks about this, Smitto.

I'm not arguing anymore. Collins has a terrible motion. He made very rookie-like decisions (goaline pass to Dallas that had zero chance). Painter needs to be the guy from here on out. Work with this kid and make him our guy.

I think Caldwell showed himself as a spineless jellyfish (again) for not giving Kerry the hook. How bad does a QB have to be before you pull him?

Smitto, you were right, I was wrong.

Lol I apologize. After I read your post again I understood that you were not referring to me.

Im also a painter supporter. Hate to say it but I knew Collins wouldn't work.

Now does everyone understand why we have been staying with Collins? At least he completes a pass now and then.

Yeah, well considering he had zero reps in practice because the team gave them all to Collins, he came into the game absolutely cold. Things did improve though, and if you listened to Tony Dungy in the post game, he's of the opinion that Painter should be the man for now. Dungy made the same point that Painter came into the game cold without many(any?) practice reps this week. So perhaps you should give him a chance? It's not like Collins was significantly better despite practicing all week with the first team.

Painter didn't lead any td drive. That was all Addai! The coaches can take some heat over letting Painter throw the ball when our run game was doing great, but in the end the fumble and missed little league pass cost us the game.

Does Painter know that he can't skip the ball to the receivers, no really, does he :scratch:

I have been saying this since pre-season on this forum. Painter needs to be the starter. Collins posses very little knowledge of our system and yells out things like "were good" instead of actually making line checks like Painter did. Let Curtis get a full week of practice with the first team and watch them open eyes next week at Tampa.

Painter didn't lead any td drive. That was all Addai! The coaches can take some heat over letting Painter throw the ball when our run game was doing great, but in the end the fumble and missed little league pass cost us the game.

Does Painter know that he can't skip the ball to the receivers, no really, does he :scratch:

Yep addai threw the passes and ran the ball the whole 10 plays 80 yards.

Painter threw 2 perfect timing routes to garçon that were key on that drive.

I've argued with you for weeks about this, Smitto.

I'm not arguing anymore. Collins has a terrible motion. He made very rookie-like decisions (goaline pass to Dallas that had zero chance). Painter needs to be the guy from here on out. Work with this kid and make him our guy.

I think Caldwell showed himself as a spineless jellyfish (again) for not giving Kerry the hook. How bad does a QB have to be before you pull him?

Smitto, you were right, I was wrong.

Never thought i would hear that from you ruksak, i too hope painter does progress but he could very well suck the next game if he is dubbed the starter so im preparing myself for the backlash if there is one lol... Hopefully he gets the nod so we can see what he can really do. Collins is just old i think, the guy doesnt have it anymore.. he's not even close to being a brett favre.. the guy came out of retirement, theres not much to be said about that fact right there.

Wow you must really hate painter dude im guessing addai threw those passes to garcon and wayne as well smh.. painter does skip the ball sometimes but that is a fixable problem.. this team is much more comfortable with painter than it is with collins.

Never thought i would hear that from you ruksak, i too hope painter does progress but he could very well suck the next game if he is dubbed the starter so im preparing myself for the backlash if there is one lol... Hopefully he gets the nod so we can see what he can really do. Collins is just old i think, the guy doesnt have it anymore.. he's not even close to being a brett favre.. the guy came out of retirement, theres not much to be said about that fact right there.

It's too late to bring in a new QB. Collins isn't going to cut it. He has the experience necessary, to be a QB coach, his days as a QB are over.

Hey, Painter isn't going to come out and be our flawless savior. But we need him to know he's the guy, give him reps, practice and lets get behind him and hope Peyton actually can come back.

OK....here's where we're at;

0-3

I heard a stat about starting 0-3 the other day, and it wasn't encouraging. Essentially, historically speaking, if you start 0-3 you aren't making the playoffs. BUT..we have been given such great encouragement tonight. Even though we lost, am I alone in saying ......in a way, I feel like we won?

The Fumble we gave up for a TD:

Painter takes some blame for this. That proverbial clock....bouncing on your feet 1,2,3 get rid of it. He didn't and the result was a disaster. This can be coached. Collins is too old to be effectively coached. Stonzo gets an assist on that fumble sack. He got bull-rushed and swooped.

As far as I'm concerned, it is pointless at this time to continue to debate Collins vs Painter. I feel Caldwell is visionless and gutless for not hooking his $4 million has-been until a dubious "concussion" made the tough call for him.

It's too late to bring in a new QB. Collins isn't going to cut it. He has the experience necessary, to be a QB coach, his days as a QB are over.

Hey, Painter isn't going to come out and be our flawless savior. But we need him to know he's the guy, give him reps, practice and lets get behind him and hope Peyton actually can come back.

OK....here's where we're at;

0-3

I heard a stat about starting 0-3 the other day, and it wasn't encouraging. Essentially, historically speaking, if you start 0-3 you aren't making the playoffs. BUT..we have been given such great encouragement tonight. Even though we lost, am I alone in saying ......in a way, I feel like we won?

The Fumble we gave up for a TD:

Painter takes some blame for this. That proverbial clock....bouncing on your feet 1,2,3 get rid of it. He didn't and the result was a disaster. This can be coached. Collins is too old to be effectively coached. Stonzo gets an assist on that fumble sack. He got bull-rushed and swooped.

As far as I'm concerned, it is pointless at this time to continue to debate Collins vs Painter. I feel Caldwell is visionless and gutless for not hooking his $4 million has-been until a dubious "concussion" made the tough call for him.

Yea im pretty much content and ready if the colts dont make it to the playoffs this year.. im just happy seeing those players go out there with that blue and white and pouring it out there... having said that though, i still have hope that MAYBE if the colts defense played like they played after the first quarter the colts have a pretty good shot of making a run for maybe 9-7, they would be some close games but hey look at the bills and pats game.. it can happen. If it wasnt for that fumble or that pass painter missed we would have had that game BUT that is not the reason the colts lost, this time it was actually due to inconsistency and the way things are trending the colts look like they are heading into the right direction with that.

Yea im pretty much content and ready if the colts dont make it to the playoffs this year.. im just happy seeing those players go out there with that blue and white and pouring it out there... having said that though, i still have hope that MAYBE if the colts defense played like they played after the first quarter the colts have a pretty good shot of making a run for maybe 9-7, they would be some close games but hey look at the bills and pats game.. it can happen. If it wasnt for that fumble or that pass painter missed we would have had that game BUT that is not the reason the colts lost, this time it was actually due to inconsistency and the way things are trending the colts look like they are heading into the right direction with that.

Dang skippy my British brother.

We lost because we couldn't score TD's when our defense practically served them up to us. Heck, the defense scored more than our offense until Painter took over. Anyone getting that fact? Yes, its a fact.

We lost because we left approximately 8 points on the field with inept failings inside the redzone early.

Painter looked good for the few if any practice time he had with the 1st Team O, He def looked better than Collins did. Collins WAS a good QB but I dont think he has it anymore. Let him mentor Curtis along with Peyton the rest of the yr. Yes he missed that wide-Open TD pass to Garcon but if im not mistaken that was his 1st pass he was cold once he got warmed he drove us down for a tying TD along with some very solid running by Addai. Hopefully Curtis gets he start on Mon. and see what he can do with a full wk. of practice.

Our only turnover in the game was Painter. Collins did not turn the ball over tonight.

true but collins had all the reps and practice too and painter had none. after the fumble though painter improved and improved so im thinking it was cause of the reps and practice the reason for the fumble. next week with painter starting i think it will be much much much better outcome.

if painter can play decent to good and the defense can play like it did tonight i can see possibly 10-6 with a wild card berth lol now wouldnt that chap some butt lol