Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CjMcGirt Mock Draft 2.0 w/offseason

I've been watching film on guys and feel I have a better understanding of the players and our needs. So here we go...

1-(24) WR Keenan Allen - California - 6'3" 205

I believe our pick comes down to 4 positions. WR, G, OLB, and CB. If you look at those positions which one can we not go out and play a game without. If we were out at gaurd we'd be fine, Andrew would take a little heat from the right side, but we'd have a good chance to win. If we were out at OLB we'd also be fine. It wouldn't be ideal but we have a solid rotation that could get the job done. If we were out at CB we'd be perfectly fine unless we had an injury. At wide out we have Reggie, enough said, TY who thrives in the slot but I wouldn't want to put him outside in fear of his health playing out there for a full season. After that we have young players who aren't proven. This is a passing league, we must obtain another weapon.At WR the picks are CorDarrelle Patterons, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, DeAndre Hopkins, and Quinton Patton. After watching a lot of film on all these recievers my ranking fall 1)Allen 2)Patteron 3)Hopkins 4)Patton 5)Hunter. I use to be a big fan of Hunter, but that was my Al Davis side coming out. Hunter is a big bodied reciever but seems to be afraid to go up and get it sometimes. He also doesn't get extra yards after catches, he seems to just fall down. I truly beleive he's worried of getting injured again. Patton is a great reciever, runs great routes, and is just a smart guy. Pass on him for better value. Hopkins has some amazing hands and deceptive speed. He always wants to get those extra yards after the catch. CorDarrelle Patterson is the second best reciever here to me. He doesn't make spectacular catches but he can take the top off a defense. Last is Allen, Allen is by far the best reciever in this class to me. He doesn't have the best speed, slowest of the 5 listed most likely, but he has amazing route running skills. Even though he isn't the fastest he has great agility and is amazing at making the open guy/guys miss. In our offense you have to be able to take a short pass and make the most out of it. Allen can do that. He catches the ball with his spectacular hands, not the body, and can go up and get a jump ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EF0N9S_ZDg

3-(24) OG Brian Winters - Kent State - 6'4" 320

At 6'4" 320 he's a big strong bodied blocker. He did very well at the senior bowl and was a force. He can drop his hips and stop a rush very well and mirrors defenders well also. He has that nasty/mean streak you look for in an o-lineman and finishes all his blocks.

4-(24) OLB Chase Thomas - Stanford - 6'3" 244

Chase Tomas would fit our LOLB spot perfectly. He is a tremendous leader as he commanded Stanfords defense. He can cover extremely well for his size and can decently get to the passer. At LOLB you need someone to set the edge, stop the run, cover, and sometimes get after the QB. Chase does all those extremely well sans maybe QB rush but that's due to a lack of pass rush moves. With proper coaching he can become a well rounded pro-bowler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB_SBMSiNdk

5-(24) CB Will Davis - Utah State- 5'11" 186

Extremely underrated CB in the draft. He had a questionable senior bowl and interest in him dropped. He led country with 1.75 pass break ups a game and had 5 interceptions. He has a long, lean body and is loose hipped. He excels in man press coverage but struggles in zone or when giving a cushion. He could excel if coached in our system.

7-(24) HB Ray Graham - Pittsburgh - 5'9" 199

We have a great (and in my opinion underrated)power back in Vick Ballard. We need a quick shifty back to pair with him now. Ray Graham was considered a top back until he tore his ACL. He's now recovered and is developing most of his shiftiness back. He could be a steal in the draft and the colts already have shown interet in him.

7-(Mr. Irrelevant) S Bradley McDougald - Kansas - 6'0" 215

A former wide out in High School, McDougald converted to S. He can play either safety spot on the field. He had 80 tackles and two interceptions in 2011 which was his first year playing saftey. He has good potential and it worth spending a pick on.

Undrafted Free Agent Signings:

WR Drew Terrell 5'10" 179 Stanford

C Sam Schwartzstein 6'3" 292 Stanford

QB-

Andrew Luck

Matt Hasselbeck 

Chandler Harnish

FB- 

Stanley Havili

Robert Hughes

HB- 

Vick Ballard

Donald Brown

Ray Graham

Delone Carter

Davin Megget

WR-

Reggie Wayne

Keenan Allen

TY Hilton

Lavon Brazil

Nathan Palmer

Griff Whalen

Jabin Sambrano

Jeremy Kelley

TE- 

Coby Fleener

Dwayne Allen

Weslye Saunders

Dominique Jones

T-

Anthony Castonzo

Gosder Cherilus

Jeff Linkenbach

Bradley Sowell

Lee Ziemba

G-

Donald Thomas

Brian Winters

Mike McGlynn

Ben Ijalana

Joe Reitz

Justin Anderson

Robert Griffin

C-

Samson Satele

AQ Shipley

Sam Schwartzstein

DE-

Cory Redding

Ricky Jean-Fracois

Fili Moala

Drake Nevis

Ricardo Mathews

Guy Lawrence

NT-

Aubrayo Franklin

Josh Chapman

Brandon McKinney

Kellen Heard

LOLB- 

Erik Walden

Chase Thomas

Jake Kileen

MLB-

Jerrell Freeman

Kavell Conner

Pat Angerer

Mario Harvey

Scott Lutrus

ROLB-

Robert Mathis

Jerry Hughes

Lawrence Sidbury

Justin Hickman

CB- 

Vontae Davis

Greg Toler

Darius Butler

Cassius Vaughn

Will Davis

Josh Gordy

Marshay Green

Teddy Williams

FS- 

Antoine Bethea

Bradley McDougald

Delano Howell

SS-

LaRon Landry

Joe Lefeged

Final 53 man roster

QB-

Andrew Luck

Matt Hasselbeck

HB-

Vick Ballard

Donald Brown

Ray Graham

Delone Carter

FB-

Stanley Havili

WR(1)-

Reggie Wayne

Lavon Brazil

Griff Whalen

WR(2)-

Keenan Allen

TY Hilton

Nathan Palmer

TE-

Coby Fleener

Dwayne Allen

Weslye Saunders

LT-

Anthony Castonzo

Jeff Linkenbach

LG-

Donald Thomas

Ben Ijalana

C-

Samson Satele

AQ Shipley

RG-

Brian Winters

Mike McGlynn

RT-

Gosder Cherilous

Bradley Sowell

LE-

Cory Redding

Ricardo Mathews

NT-

Aubrayo Franklin

Josh Chapman

Brandon McKInney

RE-

Ricky Jean-Francois

Fili Moala 

Drake Nevis

LOLB-

Erik Walden

Chase Thomas

MLB-

Jerrell Freeman

Kavell Conner

Pat Angerer

ROLB-

Robert Mathis

Jerry Hughes

Lawrence Sidbury

CB(1)-

Greg Toler

Will Davis 

CB(2)

Vontae Davis

Cassius Vaughn

CB(Nickel)-

Darius Butler 

FS-

Antoine Bethea

Delano Howell

SS-

LaRon Landry

Joe Lefeged

K-

Vinatieri

P-

McAfee

Dont like that Chase Thomas pick, Rather have Damontre Moore if available in the 1st or Alex Okafor or Carradine 

I don't suppose you've noticed Gavin....    but as you go around critiquing everyone else's mock what you wind up doing is this....

"I don't like the 4th round pick...    so what I'd do instead is blow-up your ENTIRE MOCK, so we can take the guy I like in the 1st round."  

All because you don't like the 4th round pick.     That's what you did here.

And that's what makes your critique unique among all critics around here.   You'll blow the whole thing up just so you can have your way in the first round....

And yet, you wonder why some here roll their eyes over you posting the same thing in thread after thread after thread....

What you're doing is not critiquing.    What you're doing is telling everyone you don't like/agree with theirs,  and that yours is the only one that's any good.

Way to win friends and influence people!    

Not bad. I wouldn't be thrilled with the 2 UDFA's. I don't think we need to add any more tiny WR's and Scwhartzstein is a bit undersized for my liking. I don't think Chase Thomas really adds much to our team and If we do add an OLBer, it needs to be somebody that brings a better pass rush. Other than that though, it's pretty good.

I like the draft, but do you really see Toler becoming our #1?

Also, you stole McDougald from the mock I'm working on! I also have him as Mr, Irrelevant! I really like the kid, think he'll be a steal.

And, we don't have a 5, that should be a 6th.

Not bad. I wouldn't be thrilled with the 2 UDFA's. I don't think we need to add any more tiny WR's and Scwhartzstein is a bit undersized for my liking. I don't think Chase Thomas really adds much to our team and If we do add an OLBer, it needs to be somebody that brings a better pass rush. Other than that though, it's pretty good.

If we were going to take an OLB in the 4th, I'd prefer Powell, the kid from tiny Hardin college.  

But I will say this about Thomas...    I'm the person who has cautioned everyone here against Thomas.   But that was as much for those wanting him in the 2nd or 3rd round.    If the Colts decide to take him at the bottom of the 4th,   I think he's a pretty good value there.     I would not be upset by that.

I know he didn't test well at the combine (did better at the Stanford pro day)  but he's a guy who plays much, much better than he tests.   He's always been that way.   He's a gamer....

There's a lot to be said for a guy who always plays smart and hard and with effort and intensity and doesn't take plays off.   He'd be a quality back-up and good on special teams as well.      There are much worse guys to take when picking around 120th or so....

Just sayin....

It's a little Stanford-heavy for me...but two of them are UDFA's, so go ahead if you must. I get the whole "cerebral" approach with Stanford guys...but sometimes "cerebral" gets its butt kicked by pure football talent. Andrew Luck obviously has it all but we gotta be a little careful not to go too far with this Stanford thing.

Having said that I'm fine with Chase Thomas in the 4th round...he's solid vs the run and in coverage....two areas we don't want to forget that we really sucked at last year at OLB. Not every OLB we have will need to be a pure sack artist....especially at the expense of coverage and run defense. Any of them that can do it all will be long gone at #24....and we have to allow for some coaching up as you mentioned.

You hit the nail on the head as far as OG, OLB and CB being priorities. And WR has been elevated by our free agency moves and Avery's departure.

But as far as the 1st round pick, if we're also targeting a WR and 3 or 4 of these guys are still on the board....assuming Austin and Patterson are not....then I'd really prefer we trade down than take one at #24.

I also like the option Da'Rick Rogers alot as a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick if a trade down CAN be had. Rogers has great size, good hands and very good route-running skills, and he is fearless and physical at the position....and a 2nd or early 3rd rounder is the right spot for the high risk/high reward player he is. If can just stop getting high...he could be a real steal....perhaps a WR version of Janoris Jenkins.

I like the Williams and Davis picks a lot...but we don't have a 5th rounder so I assume you meant the 6th for Davis...and he'd be a really nice depth pick there. The guy makes plays.

Ray Graham in the 7th could be a really good value but I'd rather we build our depth elsewhere and see how our current RB crew does behind a better O-line.

I haven't seen McDougald until now but I'm all for building S depth. My personal favorite is Cooper Taylor in the 6th or 7th if he's there.

Overall....I like the picks but I'd really like a trade down and then hit up a WR.

If we were going to take an OLB in the 4th, I'd prefer Powell, the kid from tiny Hardin college.  

But I will say this about Thomas...    I'm the person who has cautioned everyone here against Thomas.   But that was as much for those wanting him in the 2nd or 3rd round.    If the Colts decide to take him at the bottom of the 4th,   I think he's a pretty good value there.     I would not be upset by that.

I know he didn't test well at the combine (did better at the Stanford pro day)  but he's a guy who plays much, much better than he tests.   He's always been that way.   He's a gamer....

There's a lot to be said for a guy who always plays smart and hard and with effort and intensity and doesn't take plays off.   He'd be a quality back-up and good on special teams as well.      There are much worse guys to take when picking around 120th or so....

Just sayin....

It's not that I don't like Thomas, I just don't see him as the type of OLBer we need. A pass rusher makes more sense to me. I see Thomas much more of an edge setter and that isn't bad, but a pass rusher to eventually take over for Mathis is more of what we need right now. However, we may not be able to get a guy like that though this yr.. If we get a good pass rusher, I can easily see this being Mathis' last yr. with the colts.

2 of the 3 were free agents.....    is it really that big a deal?

He didn't even give the Colts the one I hope the Colts do sign as a FA....   CB Terrence Brown...

Otherwise,  I thought he did a nice job....

Didn't say it was a big deal. This board just seems to go a bit overboard with the stanford love. Yes, they took luck and fleener, but they also happened to be the #1 players at their position.

Didn't say it was a big deal. This board just seems to go a bit overboard with the stanford love. Yes, they took luck and fleener, but they also happened to be the #1 players at their position.

Hey....    I'm a Stanford guy and I agree with you about too much Stanford love.

That's why I've been cautioning against over-drafting Stepfan Taylor and Chase Thomas.    I like them, but not too high.

And the same with the two FA's....   neither does much for me.    I just didn't think it was worth noting...    no biggie...

I think Brown,  the corner,  would be an absolute steal as a FA....   would love to have him. 

All in all...    I think we're on the same page on this....

Hey....    I'm a Stanford guy and I agree with you about too much Stanford love.

That's why I've been cautioning against over-drafting Stepfan Taylor and Chase Thomas.    I like them, but not too high.

And the same with the two FA's....   neither does much for me.    I just didn't think it was worth noting...    no biggie...

I think Brown,  the corner,  would be an absolute steal as a FA....   would love to have him. 

All in all...    I think we're on the same page on this....

I actually had the same thought when I saw chase Thomas in the 4th.....< Ty Powell

I like the draft, but do you really see Toler becoming our #1?

Also, you stole McDougald from the mock I'm working on! I also have him as Mr, Irrelevant! I really like the kid, think he'll be a steal.

And, we don't have a 5, that should be a 6th.

I put Toler over Vontae because I think Pagano is going to keep him on the right side and put Toler on the left.