Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If We Could Trade Our 2013 First For.........

A team like the Ravens, Jets, or Eagles 2014 first, would you do it? i would. I would even throw in next years 4th to get it done. I believe the Ravens would be most likely to do it and I think it would be a high pick.

Well,  first, I wouldn't do it.  

Two,   if I did it,  you wouldn't have to entice a team by adding a #4.     If anything, they'd give us the #4.    We're giving up the immediate #1 for a future #1.

Three,  if I did it,  I certainly would NOT do it with the Ravens.   That's a franchise that knows how to compete and to win.   Plus the have a very good QB and an excellent coach.

The Jets and the Eagles would be targets because they both have (A) serious QB issues, and (B) serious coaching issues.

But, all in all,   I would not do it.

No pick until the bottom of the 3rd round this year,  roughly 85th overall?    Seriously?    No.    You're signaling to your team and to your fans that you're not serious about 2013.   That you're more concerned with 2014.    You can't do that if you're the Colts.

You could more easily do it if you had recently won the Super Bowl.   The fans have been rewarded.   But to do it now?   

It would be a disaster on every level imaginable.    I appreciate the outside the box thinking here,  but no.

Well,  first, I wouldn't do it.  

Two,   if I did it,  you wouldn't have to entice a team by adding a #4.     If anything, they'd give us the #4.    We're giving up the immediate #1 for a future #1.

Three,  if I did it,  I certainly would NOT do it with the Ravens.   That's a franchise that knows how to compete and to win.   Plus the have a very good QB and an excellent coach.

The Jets and the Eagles would be targets because they both have (A) serious QB issues, and (B) serious coaching issues.

But, all in all,   I would not do it.

No pick until the bottom of the 3rd round this year,  roughly 85th overall?    Seriously?    No.    You're signaling to your team and to your fans that you're not serious about 2013.   That you're more concerned with 2014.    You can't do that if you're the Colts.

You could more easily do it if you had recently won the Super Bowl.   The fans have been rewarded.   But to do it now?   

It would be a disaster on every level imaginable.    I appreciate the outside the box thinking here,  but no.

I mainly thought of it because of the chance of Clowney.

yes i would do it, only with the Jets tho, they have potential to be the worst team next year, and thru FA we have pretty much filled up most of our holes, we could still grab a nice guard or OLB in the 3rd round this year, and in all honesty, this draft is so weak that at #24 there will be some nice players, but no one is really wowing me

next years draft is much deeper, and the top 5 right now seem to be petty much set, id love for us to get a chance at Clowney or even Marqise Lee, we could even trade down and stock up our team with alot of really good talent

I mainly thought of it because of the chance of Clowney.

OK....    but how do you sell it??

You give up your 2013 1st round pick for the HOPE that it turns into Clowney....

I just don't think you can sell it to your locker-room.    I think you'd lose the team....

And I don't think you can sell it to your fan base.     I think a GM would risk losing his job with a decision like this. 

An owner would be off-the-charts furious.....

That would be my instincts on this one....

Trade 1st #24...for a 2013 3rd rounder and 2,5th in 2014.  Grab Clowney in 2014...and/or find replacements for Mathis, Bethea, Angerer...we were 11-5.

1. Trade for 2013 3rd and 2014...2nd & 6th.

3. Winters G or Schwenke C/G

3. Harper or Rogers WR

4. Swearinger or Thomas FS

6. Kyle Juscyzck FB

7. Ontario McCalebb RB

1.  Trade & Move Up: Clowney DE

2. Van Noy LB

2. Trade

3. Yeldon RB

4. Trade

5. Cario Santos K

6. ?

6. ?

7. ?

Trade 1st #24...for a 2013 3rd rounder and 2,5th in 2014. Grab Clowney in 2014...and/or find replacements for Mathis, Bethea, Angerer...we were 11-5.

1. Trade for 2013 3rd and 2014...2nd & 6th.

3. Winters G or Schwenke C/G

3. Harper or Rogers WR

4. Swearinger or Thomas FS

6. Kyle Juscyzck FB

7. Ontario McCalebb RB

1. Trade & Move Up: Clowney DE

2. Van Noy LB

2. Trade

3. Yeldon RB

4. Trade

5. Cario Santos K

6. ?

6. ?

7. ?

We'd have to go full Ditka to get Clowney. You never go full Ditka.

We'd have to go full Ditka to get Clowney. You never go full Ditka.

I don't think so...Not the full Ditka...oh no!!!!  Maybe 1/2 Ditka with a sprinkle of Josh McDaniel's crazy over a cup of Tebow...but the reward would be 10-12 years of "Beast Mode".  Bridgewater, Manziel, Mathews, Lewan, Kouandjio, Mosley, Watkins etc, etc... a lot of needed great players Jags, Jets, Eagles, AZ, Lions, Raiders, Bills... may want that rebuilding leverage...may?????  But the real steal would be Cairo Santos Kicker...Hypothetically yours! 

A team like the Ravens, Jets, or Eagles 2014 first, would you do it? i would. I would even throw in next years 4th to get it done. I believe the Ravens would be most likely to do it and I think it would be a high pick.

Frankly this strategy is all about playing a gamble and depends on situations. If all of your guys are gone, yet a team is willing to offer you the deal, it's worth it. If you are a team that's still a ways from truly competing for a title, like I believe the colts are, it's an interesting dilemma. On the one hand, you need talent to step forward, yet if in say a year when Luck is further developed you guys are ready to make a serious run, two #1s could allow you to move up for a serious blue-chip prospect, or staying put and adding two major pieces to help put you over the hump.

It's an interesting dilemma. And one that Indy really isn't in a position right now to be a part of. They can't afford to not make a selection until the 3rd round this year. But it's always a dilemma to think about.