Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's latest tweet (Saturday 3/16)

GoColts8818

I hope that once this is revealed / resolved, for better or for worse, depending on if the deal goes down, who the player is and what the price is to get said player, that we find out how did this all start? Did Pagano say to Grigs, "if we can get this guy, this will put us over the top?" or did Grigs ask Pagano "how would you like to have "fill in the name" to line up opposite Reggie?" or did this all start with "the Dude," Mr. Irsay? Does anyone know if Grigson is in Arizona with Irsay? It is an "owners" meeting but I don't know if GMs come along for situations like this one.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the time zone difference came into play? I'd guess that once it got to be midnight out West, they stopped talking and will resume this morning. It's a two-hour time difference (with the East coast), so hopefully the negotiations will recommence in the next hour or two - maybe after breakfast? 

Maybe the time zone difference came into play? I'd guess that once it got to be midnight out West, they stopped talking and will resume this morning. It's a two-hour time difference (with the East coast), so hopefully the negotiations will recommence in the next hour or two - maybe after breakfast? 

It's a 3 hour time difference between East & West Coast, not 2 -- which probably adds more validity to your point.

And if it's Cruz he would be worth a 1st round....it's not as if the Colts have the #1 pick this year.  The team needs a 3rd WR to go along with Wayne & TY.

I don't understand why people are saying Cruz isn't worth a 1st rounder. It's the 24th pick...

That would certainly be worth it. Wayne, Cruz and Hilton? With Luck throwing the ball? That's just filthy.

Edit: I don't think it's Cruz though. Giants love him, and he seems to love them. But hey, we're allowed to dream. Maybe JMac. I'd have no problem with that. He was a first rounder, but he hasn't had a good QB throwing him the ball. Could easily be a 1100-1300 yards type guy.

It's a 3 hour time difference between East & West Coast, not 2 -- which probably adds more validity to your point.

And if it's Cruz he would be worth a 1st round....it's not as if the Colts have the #1 pick this year.  The team needs a 3rd WR to go along with Wayne & TY.

Irsay is in Arizona which is only 2 hours behind us. 

Edit: I was mistaken. They are three hours behind us in Indiana. 

actually whn you lookat it like that it would make a lot of since for them and probably for us to doit.  we already fixed a lot of problems through fa.  why would we care who we could get in the first if we had fitz.  unless we're worried about a pass rusher in the first.  everthing thats out there seems to indicate that he's the guy but grigs has been pretty conservative so who knows.

Don't get me wrong I don't expect Arians to do us any favors but let's just say he made up his mind and he wanted to trade Fitz & He knows what he wants back (decent young WR, #1 and #4).... He could throw us a bone, by calling us first and see if we can make it happen he is familiar with the WRs on the colts and he might want a Brazill or something..... I might be giving it too much thought but I can't help it our loopy owner got me wondering for the last 10 hours

Going to be a long day!! I'm not really sure how I feel about Cruz. I know he is good. But I have really watched him, watched him. But I do love the salsa dance!

I'm from NYC, I've watched him, watched him..... Dude is a stud, crisp routes, good hands, tougher than you think and his football IQ is of the charts.... But I'm starting to think it's Fitz now

I don't think you can read too much into Irsay's tweets in terms of working put who it is, it's hard to work out what's a cryptic clue (or what he considers a clue!) and what is just musing/rambling inner monologue being spilt out over a keyboard.

I think however from what we do know most of the likely targets have been identified on the board,they're not spending 5 days on just anyone so it's got to be a name. The references to cap space mean they must be expecting to outlay say 7 million upwards? I can't see any FAs who fit that bill now Jennings is off the board do its going to be a trade or RFA and that's what worries me a little, don't want to be giving up picks when we already have such a lack of them.

On a side note though, isn't it at the owners meeting we find put what compensatory picks we will be getting? Would this play somewhat into the process?

Right I'm gonna do my best to decipher all of Irsay's tweets. 

The car almost ended up n the ditch...swerving towards negativity,but we're still n the fight..we're desperately trying,need coffee,strong!

We need a turnover,slipping away but 4 minutes ago we started running the no huddle...moving the arrow again but it's nip n

tuck!!!!

Everyone stand buy,pour strong drink...do ur voodoo,Colts need the strength of it's nation to get this wopper in the boat! DO U UNDERSTAND!?

I'm looking for Walter,he has The Ringer...the whites...the undies...lotta ins and outs to this thing...THIS IS A LEAGUE GAME,SMOKEY!!!!

quote 1:the car could definitely indicate Cruz as some cars have "cruise control"

quote 2: the fact he mentions "tuck" could also indicate cruz ( with Justin Tuck who is teammates with Cruz) but the fact he mentions "arrow" could implement Dwayne Bowe ( "bow and arrow" or "arrowhead stadium,") However he could imply the WR is from team that uses the No-Huddle ( patriots, broncos,falcons,steelers, packers and dolphins)

quote 3: when he mentions "voodoo" he could be mentioning the New Orleans. That means it could be Marquse Colston or again Dwayne Bowe who played at LSU.

quote 4: "looking for walter" could be similar to "Where's Wally or Where's Waldo" ( he was often known for wearing red and white) which might indicate a team like the Chiefs or the Cardinals.

Conclusion: I havent got the slightest clue who we are getting but I would probably look at Dwayne Bowe or Victor Cruz

Meh idk. I think people are looking to hard into this. 

Quote 1: I think this sounds more like the deal almost collapsed more than anything else, but they are still trying to make it work. 

Quote 2: Just sounds like they were able to continue talking. They have used arrow like 15 in the past 5 days. Mostly they use it to refer to improvement, meaning talks are getting better from the near collapse. 

Quote 3: Just seems like a cryptic statement telling people that they are still working

Quote 4: Another one of his quotes, that may or may not have a meaning. No, hes not getting anybody named Walter. 

I don't understand why people are saying Cruz isn't worth a 1st rounder. It's the 24th pick...

One thing to consider is the salary cap. Some of the biggest bargains in football (since the last CBA) are players on their rookie contracts. The 24th pick might average about 2M a year for 4 years, while Cruz will be 9M+ per year. So the question is.. can you draft somebody nearly has good as Cruz with the 24th pick? Cruz averaged about 5 catches and 66 yards a game last year. Could one of the top receivers in this year's draft do that? Maybe not in the first year -- and there is risk that the #24 will bust. I'd still like to see that #24 be used on a top OG/WR or trade down to the top of the second.

Having said that, I think we do need a #2 receiver capable of moving to #1 in next couple of years. I'm sure they're analyzing the cap situation for the next few years and would only do a deal like this if it didn't put them in a bind in the future. Luck will have to be resigned in 3 years at 4x to 5x his current hit.. and we have to have room to do that.