Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does the signing of Walden indicate a move for Mathis?

theanarchist

Anyone else think that Walden fits Mathis' role better than Mathis currently does and Mathis moves over to the other side of the defense to rush the passer which is more suited to his strength?

Well Walden definitely has the cover skills and Mathis the rushing skills. So who knows, I could see it happening. 

I think the difference, maybe I'm wrong, would be that Walden would fit better lining up on the strong side of the offensive formation vs the weakside. Not saying we don't rush from both sides of the defensive formation but I would think the tendency would be for the weak side guy to rush

I guess in theory it does.

But I just haven't seen him rush from the right side.

Maybe just make him rush from the left, since he is so used to doing it from the other side.

Mathis was rushing from both sides last year, and even rushed on occasion from the right side in 2011.  I can't say that he's as effective on the right side as he is the left but he has rushed from both sides.  I imagine they'll move both Walden and Mathis around in various spots as opposed to always having them line up on the same side.

Where did you hear that, because I'm hearing the exact opposite.

Grigson said it yesterday, said his strength is setting the edge. Packers fans said the same thing on their forums. I think we as fans maybe under rating this guy just because we are not familiar with him. I've heard a couple guys on NFL network talk highly of him. Tannanbaum(I know he was a bad GM with the Jets), but he said we have no need for Avril now that we have Walden.

It's an interesting question actually, but I would imagine this defense (similar to the offense) will be based on presenting many different looks and players lining up many different ways to keep the opposition offense on their toes.

On a side note, Mathis' awkward looking interception last year did not sell me on his coverage abilities.

Grigson said it yesterday, said his strength is setting the edge. Packers fans said the same thing on their forums. I think we as fans maybe under rating this guy just because we are not familiar with him. I've heard a couple guys on NFL network talk highly of him. Tannanbaum(I know he was a bad GM with the Jets), but he said we have no need for Avril now that we have Walden.

also scot piolli say that Walden was intriguing...say what you want about the chiefs, but that team is loaded with talent. Pioli had a hand on that

also scot piolli say that Walden was intriguing...say what you want about the chiefs, but that team is loaded with talent. Pioli had a hand on that

Yeah, I don't know how Pioli has a bad reputation with people here all of a sudden. He built those championship teams in NE also. He's a smart talent evaluator. 

Mathis was rushing from both sides last year, and even rushed on occasion from the right side in 2011.  I can't say that he's as effective on the right side as he is the left but he has rushed from both sides.  I imagine they'll move both Walden and Mathis around in various spots as opposed to always having them line up on the same side.

That is true.

Although I keep hearing that we are still in the running for Avril if the Bucs don't pay him a ridiculous amount. So that will be interesting if we get him and have Whalen on the roster too. 

Yeah, I don't know how Pioli has a bad reputation with people here all of a sudden. He built those championship teams in NE also. He's a smart talent evaluator. 

The Chiefs never won a SB so clearly Pioli sucks.  Chiefs fans will tell you the same thing.  Nevermind the fact that they are pretty loaded with talent and have been the victims of numerous injuries and poor QB play (the one big area Pioli screwed up).  I guess since he whiffed on the QB position then everything else good he did is irrelevant. lol

The Chiefs never won a SB so clearly Pioli sucks.  Chiefs fans will tell you the same thing.  Nevermind the fact that they are pretty loaded with talent and have been the victims of numerous injuries and poor QB play (the one big area Pioli screwed up).  I guess since he whiffed on the QB position then everything else good he did is irrelevant. lol

Why give Matt Cassel all that money? I knew as soon as they signed him to that big deal, the Chiefs would regret giving him all that money.

He was the first one to say he liked what Grigson/Colts did on FA early on. (as Warren Sapp was nodding in agreement)